CLOSED: Bee, Butterfly & Hummingbird Mix

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Kawonkamish *Greetings*,

A while back Burt's Bees offered small packs of Bee seed mix for postage. I then offered my own Bee & Butterfly mix to Dave's Garden members who were unable to receive any Burt's Bee packet. Though they only went to the ones, who did not get a chance to request them from Burt's Bees. I thought everyone, should have had the chance to help the dwindling bee population. So, I made a mix similar to that of Burt's, but added a few extras. Burt's pack stated it weighs 300mg. I checked it with a measuring spoon and it came to less than 1/4 teaspoon. I have made this year's packs approx. 2 tablespoons.

They'll go to the first 24 responders. Please post your request here, so that I'll be able to tell who requested first. I'll list below with updates. I'll add more packs, if needed or until I run out of seed. I'll Dmail the growing information, when I mail back your SASE.

If mailed in the U.S.A., the SASE needs to have $1.95. in postage on it. (I am sorry to say, the post office has raised the mailing rate to $1.95. Nut-aiuskuiantam *I am sorry*). My post office will return to me any envelope with less than $1.95 in postage. For international requests, I will check with the U.S.A. Post Office website for the cost of shipping to your country and advise you of the postage amount.

Here's a comparison of what Burt's Bees versus my packs contain:

Burt's Bees:
Bee Mix: contains the following: Calendula officinalis, Chrysanthemum maximum, Coreopsis lanceolata, Calliopsis- Coreopsis tinctoria, Echinacea purpurea, Silene armeria

My mix contains:
Bee, Butterfly & Hummingbird Mix #1 Warning: Peanut and tree nut shells used as a dispersant: contains the following seeds:
Agastache anisata, Asclepias incarnata, Aurinia saxatilis, Calendula officinalis, Centaurea cyanus, Cheiranthus allonii, Cimicifuga racemosa, Chrysanthemum maximum, Coreopsis lanceolata, Coreopsis tinctoria, Cosmos sp., Cynoglossum sp., Echinacea purpurea, Erysimum sp., Eschoscholzia californica, Gaillardia aristata, Gaillardia pulchella, Gypsophila elegans., Helianthus annuus, Iberis unbellata, Liatris spicata, Linaria maroccana, Linum usitatissimum, Linum perenne, Lobularia maritima, Lunaria annua, Lupinus perennis, Lupinus succulentus, Mirabilis jalapa, Monarda citriodora, Oenothera biennis, Petunia sp., Phlox drummondii, Rudbeckia hirta, Salvia coccinea, Sidalcea malviflora, Silene armeria, Silene coronaria, Trifolium incarnatum, Verbena tenuisecta, Zinnia sp 7 pks

Bee, Butterfly & Hummingbird Mix #2 Warning: Peanut and tree nut shells used as dispersant: contains the following seeds:
Alcea rosea, Agastache anisata, Agastache rugosa, Asclepias incarnata, Asclepias physocarpa, Aurinia saxatilis, Centaurea cyanus, Cheiranthus allonii, Cimicifuga racemosa, Coreopsis lanceolata, Coreopsis tinctoria, Cosmos sp., Eschoscholzia californica, Gaillardia aristata, Gaillardia pulchella, Gypsophila elegans., Helenium sp., Helianthus debilis, Liatris spicata, Linaria maroccana, Linum usitatissimum, Linum perenne, Leucanthemum x supurbum, Lobularia maritima, Lunaria annua, Lupinus perennis, Lupinus succulentus, Mirabilis jalapa, Monarda citriodora, Monarda dydima, Nigella damascena, Papaver rhoeas, Phlox drummondii, Rudbeckia hirta, Salvia coccinea, Sidalcea malviflora, Tagetes erecta, Verbena tenuisecta, Xerochrysum bracteatum, Zinnia sp. 6 pks

Updates: A name with a date, means the SASE has been mailed out to the person.

Ohkeommoosog, Amakehs kah Psukses-moonooskommaonk (Bee, Butterfly & Hummingbird)#1:
1. sherman99 4/4/11
2. RickCorey_WA 4/12/11
3. SpaceCase418 4/12/11
4. kwanjin 4/12/11
5. mom2goldens 4/27/11
6. SoFlaCommercial 6/16/11
7. monkeymomr 11/12/11

Ohkeommoosog, Amakehs kah Psukses-moonooskommaonk (Bee, Butterfly & Hummingbird) #2:
1. tikipod 4/09/11
2. cjcjmass 4/09/11
3. noemim 4/19/11
4. yakmon 4/12/11
5. Pfg 4/09/11
6. TinyRose 4/12/11
7. shiva_kalima 4/19/11
8. SpaceCase418 4/12/11
9. rafa3I 4/23/11
10. kevinblaine 4/28/11
11.AmandaEsq 6/12/11

Aqučne kah nahonnushagk *Peace and farewell*,
WautuckquesSochepo *SnowRabbit*
(__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Ahque Wunantash: Paskoogan / Pio nabo nequt / Nees muttanonganog kah nequt (Do Not Thou Forget: 9/11/2001)

This message was edited Apr 26, 2012 1:56 PM

(Ang) Bremerton, WA(Zone 8b)

May I please get a pack? I like the mixes you've made, it's much better than some of the store packets offer.

i love the mix i got from you last year. may i please have one? i planted lots of sunflowers this year to help the bees, would like to do more. thanks

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Kawonkamish,

tikipod and sherman99, which mix would you like, mix # 1 or mix # 2.

Aquene (Peace),
WautuckquesSochepo (SnowRabbit)
(__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

(Ang) Bremerton, WA(Zone 8b)

#2 please ^_^

#1 please

Snellville, GA(Zone 8a)

Hello everyone may i please have a package of seeds for my bird,butterflies and bees.
I would love to have #2 package if thanks a millions.

Cindy

Zapata, TX

I would love to have a #2

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

May I get a "#1"? Thanks very much. I didn't see many bees last year, and some Zinnias and Alyssum seemed mostly unpollinated.

Should I send you a bubble mailer, with 3 "forever stamps"? Is that OK?

Corey

Portland, TX(Zone 9b)

I am interested in mix #2 if there are any left. Please Dmail instructions if possible.

Thanks for your efforts!

Russell

(Pam) Warren, CT(Zone 5b)

I' d love to get a pack, but don't know how to choose...What would you say is the main difference between the two?

Thanks, Pam

This message was edited Mar 30, 2011 12:48 PM

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Quote from Pfg :
I' d love to get a pack, but don't know how to choose...What would you say is the main difference between the two?

Thanks, Pam

This message was edited Mar 30, 2011 12:48 PM

Kawonkamish Pam,

Both packs have some seeds that are similar, but for the most part they have some different seeds. The following are the pack difference:

Bee, Butterfly & Hummingbird Mix #1
Calendula officinalis, Chrysanthemum maximum, Cynoglossum sp., Erysimum sp., Helianthus annuus, Iberis unbellata, Oenothera biennis, Petunia sp., Silene armeria, Silene coronaria, Trifolium incarnatum,

Bee, Butterfly & Hummingbird Mix #2
Alcea rosea, Agastache rugosa, Asclepias physocarpa, Helenium sp., Helianthus debilis, Leucanthemum x supurbum, Monarda dydima, Nigella damascena, Papaver rhoeas, Tagetes erecta, Xerochrysum bracteatum

Which would you prefer?

Aquene,
Wautuckquessochepo
(__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Quote from RickCorey_WA :
May I get a "#1"? Thanks very much. I didn't see many bees last year, and some Zinnias and Alyssum seemed mostly unpollinated.

Should I send you a bubble mailer, with 3 "forever stamps"? Is that OK?

Corey

Kawonkamish Corey,

That would be fine. Taubotny (Thank you).

Aquene,
WautuckquesSochepo
(__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

I'd like #2 please. I'll send the same as Corey?

Thanks!

Pam

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Pam, That will be fine. Koonepeam(You are welcome).

Aquene,
WautuckquesSochepo
(__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Ashley, IL

I would like one of # 2 if still available. Thanks Ina

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

I saw a local nursery selling something like "bee houses". Many of their products are very over-priced, and/or frivolous. From a very brief glance, I thought it would just be a bit of rolled-up cardboard and ignored it.

Does anyone on this thread know if it really is practical to provide bees with nesting spots (other than big wooden beehive-boxes)? I live in a pretty urban seting, with just a bit of green and scattered trees.

Is there a practical way to encourage bees, say with recycled materials? I'm working towards establishing some bee-friendly perennials like Saliva, and will plant some spots and containers with your mix.

Corey

Snellville, GA(Zone 8a)

Thank you so much for the offer my env is one it's way...

Cindy

(Di) Seven Mile, OH(Zone 6b)

Corey, those bee house might have been for mason bees. They sell 'house' for them to nest in small cardboard tubes in colonies. They are very easy to deal with and great to have as pollinators.

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

I saw a local nursery selling something like "bee houses". Many of their products are very over-priced, and/or frivolous. From a very brief glance, I thought it would just be a bit of rolled-up cardboard and ignored it.

Does anyone on this thread know if it really is practical to provide bees with nesting spots (other than big wooden beehive-boxes)? I live in a pretty urban setting, with just a bit of green and scattered trees.

Is there a practical way to encourage bees, say with recycled materials? I'm working towards establishing some bee-friendly perennials like Saliva, and will plant some spots and containers with your mix.

Corey

Those Bee Houses are for Mason Bees. http://davesgarden.com/guides/bf/b/Hymenoptera/Megachilidae/Osmia/none/genus/0/

As for the building of houses. If you wish to make a home for Mason Bees, simply take some scrap lumber (3.5 inches wide and 4.5 inches deep) and drill holes 5/16th of an inch in diameter (works best for Mason bees) and 3 to 3˝-inches deep. The back needs to be 0.5 inches thick.

Does and Don'ts for building Bee Houses:

1. Do not use treated wood!

2. Cover the holes with chicken wire to help keep birds away from the bee house.

3. Place securely on the South side of buildings, fence posts, or trees.

4. Scatter some of the houses throughout your yard.

5. DO NOT move bee houses after they are in place until at least November.

6. DO NOT spray insecticides on or around bee houses.

Aquene,
WautuckquesSochepo
(__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

I've just sent you a dmail..

Pam

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Kawonkamish Pam,

I replied to it. ^_^

Aquene (Peace),
(__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

This message was edited Apr 4, 2011 5:10 PM

Thank you!!! I'm looking forward to it!

Pam

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Koonepeam(You are welcome).

Aquene(Peace),
(__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(") The Official Easter Rabbit ^_^

London, Canada

May I please have one of these?

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

Thnaks! (about mason bees). I added that to my collection of notes.

My first thought was that "mason" sounds close to "carpenter" and Carpenter Bees (I think that was the name) drilled big holes into a house where wood was sometimes damp.

But I'm sure "mason bees" and "carpenter bees" are very different.
If these start drilling any holes in masonry, I'll take lots of pictures.

Corey

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Quote from shiva_kalima :
May I please have one of these?

Yes you may. Which would you like, #1 or #2 ?

Aquene(Peace),
(__/)
(='.'=)

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

...But I'm sure "mason bees" and "carpenter bees" are very different.
If these start drilling any holes in masonry, I'll take lots of pictures.

Corey

Carpenter Bees are Xylocopa, while Mason Bees are Osmia or Megachile. Mason Bees do not drill holes in masonry, but use preexisting holes for nest building. So, your house should be safe... lol.

Aquene(Peace),
(__/)
(='.'=)

(Di) Seven Mile, OH(Zone 6b)

LOL Corey...if any bees start drilling holes in masonry I wanna see them!!!!

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

I want to train them, and then rent them out! Or train them to drill holes in my clay soil for me.

Really KILLER Killer Bees.

Corey

(cartoon image of jack-hammer bees ...)

Annapolis, MD

Can i send you double postage for one of each i cant decide! if not i'll be happy with the first pack.

Thanks
~Michael

This message was edited Apr 6, 2011 6:25 PM

(Zone 7a)

I would like one packet of #1. Your packs are better than I've seen anywhere. Thanks for making them available.

London, Canada

I would like #2 please.

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Quote from SpaceCase418 :
Can i send you double postage for one of each i cant decide! if not i'll be happy with the first pack.

Thanks
~Michael

This message was edited Apr 6, 2011 6:25 PM

Kawonkamish Michael,

Yes, you may, that is not a problem.

kawnjin and shiva_kalima: I set the packs aside for you both.

Aquene(Peace),
(__/)
(='.'=)

Annapolis, MD

Kawonkamish to you as well!

Thank you for your generosity these will be of great use. my parents have an old clay tennis court which i am naturalizing. i have planted lentils to fix the "soil" and break it up. your mixes will be great to attract local animals (and me) and a good start at adding organic matter for next year.

I sent the envelope today to the address listed for you in the address exchange. i hope that is the right place to send it.

Thank you again, i think its great what you are doing for the environment. you are a modern "johnny appleseed" :)

~Michael

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

I didn't know lentils were good for breaking up clay soil. I guess they fix nitrogen, too.

Ever since I read about "tillage radishes", I've been looking for cheap, big radish seeds, like daikon or oilseed radishes.

Corey

Annapolis, MD

I didn't know lentils were good for breaking up clay soil. I guess they fix nitrogen, too.

Ever since I read about "tillage radishes", I've been looking for cheap, big radish seeds, like daikon or oilseed radishes.

Corey

Corey i am not positive that the lentils will be good at breaking up the soil. my thought process on those were along the lines of they don't need many nutrients and will die off during the winter leaving a layer of organic matter. plus you can get them at the supermarket bulk sections for $1 lb.

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

Hmm! Those are viable seeds? Cool!

Corey

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Here are some plants that help break up clay soil:

Plants Recommended for Growing in Clay Soil
(Zones will vary with variety.)

Amsonia Blue Star (Zones 5-9)
Asclepias tuberosa Butterfly Weed (Zones 4-9)
Aster (various) Aster (Zones 4-8)
Coreopsis Tickseed (Zones 4-8)
Echinacea purpurea Coneflower (Zones 3-9)
Eryngium yuccifolium Sea Holly (Zones 5-10)
Helianthus angustifolius Swamp Sunflower (Zones 6-9)
Helianthus x laetiflorus False Sunflower (Zones 5-9)
Heliopsis helianthoides Ox Eye (Zones 4-9)
Hemerocallis Daylily (Zones 3-10)
Liatris pycnostachya Kansas Gayfeather (Zones 4-9)
Liatris spicata Blazing Star, Gayfeather (Zones 4-9)
Monarda fistulosa Wild Bee Balm (Zones 3-9)
Ratibida pinnata Drooping Coneflower (Zones 3-10)
Rudbeckia hirta Black-eyed Susan, Gloriosa Daisy (Zones 3-7)
Sedum 'Autumn Joy' (Zones 3-10)
Silphium integrifolium Prairie Dock (Zones 4-7)
Silphium laciniatum Compass Plant (Zones 5-9)
Silphium perfoliatum Cup Plant (Zones 5-9)
Solidago Goldenrod (zones 5-9)
Vernonia noveboracensis Ironweed (Zones 5-9)
Yucca filamentosa Adam's Needle (Zones 5-10)

Ornamental Grasses Suited for Clay Soils

Acorus gramiineus Grassy-leaved Sweet Flag (Zones 10-11)
Andropogon gerardi Big Bluestem (Zones 2-7)
Elymus canadensis Canadian Wild Rye (Zones 3-8)
Miscanthus sinensis Eulalia Grass (Zones 4-9)
Panicum virgatum Switch Grass (Zones 5-9)
Pennisetum (various) Fountain Grass (Zones 6-9)
Sorghastrum nutans Indian Grass, Wood Grass (Zones 5-8)
Spartina pectinata Prairie Cord Grass (Zones 4-7)

Aquene(Peace),
(__/)
(='.'=)

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

Hmm! I have some trade packets of these, either sitting idle or just casually trying "let's see if a six-pack of this is easy to sprout"

Asclepias tuberosa Butterfly Weed (Zones 4-9)
Aster (various) Aster (Zones 4-8)
Coreopsis Tickseed (Zones 4-8)
Liatris spicata Blazing Star, Gayfeather (Zones 4-9)

If they will really break up unimproved soil, I should make a concerted effort to start them all, even if I have no raised bed room for them.

I didn't realize Asters were perennial.

Corey

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.