Stange leaves on my Citrus tree

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

I have a Grapefruit tree that I have grown from seed, about 5 (?) years old, about 18" tall, 12" wide. Suddenly I noticed 2 new strange leaves. The 2 newest leaves facing the window are huge. All other leaves are about 2" long, the 2 new ones - 7" and 10". Looks kinda odd to say the least. Note to myself: rotate plants more often. Any ideas what's is going on?

Mooresville, NC(Zone 7b)

I also have a grapefruit tree grown from seed. Although mine is 30 plus years. Still in a pot. I have to bring it indoors during our winters. This year it also grew the humongous leaves your talking about. You might have a better chance of getting an answer in the tree forum or the Florida forum. Sorry I can't help with an explanation. But this has happened in other years and I've just lived with it.

Oracle , AZ(Zone 8b)

Hey, I also have a grapefruit tree started from a sprouted seed that was in the grapefruit I was eating. Gilbert is now about 8 years old and has always had weird leaves. I haul him in every winter and out when there's no danger of frost. He (she?) is in a big pot and has never bloomed. Has yours ever bloomed? I hang small Christmas ornaments on him at Christmas time.

Mooresville, NC(Zone 7b)

Hi Mork, Oh my you sound just like me with my tree. Except I wasn't eating the grapefruit, my mother was. We were learning about germination in school and I thought I would give it a try. Now that I think about it, my tree is close to 40 years old. Dang! And it has traveled with me all my life. Even going cross country for a 3 year stint in Nevada. Over the years I've decorated my tree at Christmas too. You would think mine would have a name by now but no. The thing has gotten so large that it takes two people to move it. Yes my tree has bloomed and has even started making fruit once or twice. But once the fruit got about quarter size they shriveled and dropped. It was about 6 years ago when it blossomed for the first time. Yep I was one happy happy camper when it did. Oh and the scent was so sweet. The next year same thing happened. Since then nothing:( I have a theory as to why. But it's a long story. I think what you need is a pollinator tree. Doesn't have to be another grapefruit, just some type of citrus. Seeing as you live in zone 8b, I'm surprised you bring your tree in at all.

Oracle , AZ(Zone 8b)

Hi melsalz, I think the elevation here in Oracle is somewhere around 4800 ft. We get snow maybe twice, sometimes three times, during the winter. Right after Christmas it snowed about 6 in. at my house and I couldn't get out of my driveway for a day. I have to go up a small hill to get to the pavement and my pickup (not a 4-wheel drive) got stuck sideways in the gate........ Hey, I'm not used to driving in snow...... Anyway, we do have freezes here. A couple of years ago a freeze suck up on me and almost done poor Gilbert in so I move him in pretty early now. This spring has been colder than usual. Winter has been very reluctant to leave this year. Record lows. Froze our 25 year old oleanders and lots of other things around town.

Mooresville, NC(Zone 7b)

Yep just one hard freeze will do them in, especially when they are in a pot. My tree is prone to getting mites or aphids during the winter months. One time, when I didn't know what I was doing, I almost killed the poor thing. I had to take my tree to a friend to doctor back to health. She did such a good job I felt badly taking it back.

Spring is colder here this year too. It's been raining for 2 days and the high today was 58 degrees. But it is supposed to be back up into the middle 80's by this weekend. So I've enjoyed the chill.

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

OK, a so-so pix while it is outside on vacation.

Thumbnail by gasrocks
Mooresville, NC(Zone 7b)

Yep mine looks just like that, just a tad larger.

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

I had 2 grapefruit trees I overwintered for a client a few years ago............they were in 20 or 24 inch pots (don't remember) and probably6 or 7 feet tall. She said they never bloomed. They bloomed when i had them. I feel it was the more humid environment that had for that other 6 months when they were not outside. They bloomed the next year too.

Mooresville, NC(Zone 7b)

Interesting, heat & humidity maybe.

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

That's what I'm thinking.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.