Spring 2011 - What's blooming in your garden? Part 2

(Becky) in Sebastian, FL(Zone 10a)

Time for a new thread. We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1160636/

Will start this new thread off with another Clematis bloom. Clematis is fast becoming a favorite vine of mine. The blooms last about a week and get bigger each day until they wilt and the petals drop. This is Ernest Markham. ♥

This message was edited Mar 18, 2011 11:59 PM

Thumbnail by beckygardener

This is my tipsy-pot near my front door. There is white, red, and purple petunias, lantana, and in the very front a container of Lady in Red Salvia getting ready to bloom. My hummers will be happy this year!

My daylily bed is going gang-busters. I just fertilized it with Bloom Booster to get those plants making flowers! And the roses are really putting on some growth up the cattle panel arbor and the white wooden arbor. I think both arbors are going to be covered with roses this year! I have a Black and Blue Salvia in the top of the 3-tiered bed. That thing is huge this year already! I am now thinking it is a bit invasive or at least is going to become bush size! Ack! I don't like it blocking the sun from my daylilies. I guess I'm gonna have to keep it trimmed up! It is pretty when it starts blooming, but it has the ickiest scent! :-P~~~

In this bed is a brug, Sunny KO roses, more tipsie pots with petunias, and a volunteer I. purpurea. I think it is Kniola's Black.

Don Juan rose blooms! I love this cultivar! The blooms look like red velvet! It's really a stunning rose bush! I hope it continues to do well where it is at! If not, I will dig it up and put it in a pot!

Even some of my mini zinnias are blooming. I see butterflies on these all the time. They must be a good nectar plant! These are volunteers from last year. I love when that happens!

And I just love these Sunflower plants. I think I am going to sneak some of the sunflower seeds from my birds and squirrels and plant them in the ground next to an area of my fence that is bare. They are so huge and cheerful! :-)

The name of this plant escapes me at the moment. But it is a pretty pink bloomer! The bees are crazy about it! :-) I love plants that make everyone happy! :-)

I finally got the ponds all cleaned out, the water lilies divided, repotted, fertilized, and placed back in the ponds. They will cover the top of the water in a month! :-) Love water gardening! This year I have to find some mosquito fish to put in my water containers and ponds. I desperately need something to kill the mosquito larvae. They eat the larvae! My kinda fish!

And last is a photo of my poppies. Apparently a lot of the seeds fell on the path and were growing up in the mulch walkway. Unfortunately, my dh, in his desire to help me clean things up, took the weed whacker and cut down all my poppies in the path until he got around to the one blooming and must've realized that he had cut down my flowering plants! LOL! But in the terra cotta pot in the background is a pot full of poppies! So I hope to get lots of blooms from them! What is it about men and weed whackers? LOL!

Jacksonville, AR(Zone 7b)

Congrats Pixie, beautiful baby.
Becky is that a Gaura with the lovely pink blooms?

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Thanks patootie!

Very pretty Becky and yes, little pink flowers is Gaura.

Thanks, Jackie and pixie! Yes, it is a Guara! That name would have come to me sooner or later. LOL!

Garland, TX(Zone 8a)

First blooms on my perennial Convolvulus mauritanicus today (replete with thrips, lol)

Thumbnail by nifty413
Garland, TX(Zone 8a)

Despite the ongoing severe drought, a few bluebonnets have managed to grow and bloom – not nearly as many as usual

Thumbnail by nifty413
(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Oh you warm zone people are killing me!

Lol Ronnie, I have severe zone envy too

Naugatuck, CT(Zone 5a)

Nifty, really lovely! I really enjoyed Texas while i visited, but was later in the year, near labor day so maybe they were gone by then.

We've had some rain and I fertilized everything, so I'm getting some nice blooms on many of the plants. My front garden bed has the hot pink 4 O'Clocks coming up for another showing this year. I love the color of them, but they lack the sweet smell of the yellow bloomers in my backyard pots.

Here's the view walking up to my front door. Every year I try a different plant combo. And every year I feel like I am getting better at it! I am very happy with how this front garden bed and potted plants look this year.

I have a passiflora that is one I really like. It is called Aurantia. It has a lot of buds on it now. I grew it from seed that I got several years ago. It seems to be bigger and fuller every year. I dragged into the garage this past Winter. I am so glad I did as I lost a number of my Passifloras.

Some of the 4 O'Clocks in the backyard are showing the cross of the pink in the front yard. Those moths do get around...

I am growing some water lilies in a teacup. I am hoping they bloom. I think this is a pink night blooming water lily.

Mesilla Park, NM

Oh my goodness, that looks so cute, that water lily. It is in a perfect container for it's size.

How cute is that?

Thank you, A!

I have some in bigger coffee cups, too! The trick is to try to get them to bloom. That's the challenge. I am going to do my best to see if I can get them to do just that!

I just discovered today that I have a Passiflora cultivar that has changing blooms that last several days. It's called "Australian Aurantia". Here is a cool photo showing the mature bloom (dark orange), a new bloom (creamy white), and a bud. It really nice to have a Passiflora vine where the blooms stay open for several days.

And a new poppy cultivar for me. I think I got the seeds for this one from Karla. I have no idea what the name is, but I love that white border! :-)

My brugs are starting to bloom, too! I have this one which is Pink Beauty. And several others that I got as cuttings that I rooted. I have no idea what the other brug blooms are going to look like! I love surprises! ♥

I grew this hollyhock from seed last year and had another one in my daylily garden bed, but neither one bloomed. Only this one in the container made it. As you can see, it looks like it is getting ready to bloom! Can't wait to see what a real hollyhock bloom looks like! ☻

And here is another one of those red and white fancy poppies!♥♥♥

Love the pink Brug Becky and the showy red Poppy.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

You really should of put a "BIB WARNING" at the top of this thread...didn't wear one and now have to go change my shirt! ^_^
Oh, and I have severe zone envy!
Love that red & white poppy!!!!!!!!

Jackie - Thank you! Do you grow Brugs? I hope I get seeds from the red peony poppies! I love them!

Celeste - Thank you, too! LOL! about the "Bib Warning". LOL! Every year I grow some different plants from seeds and every year I am very delighted what grows from those seeds. I am never disappointed. I am really glad to know that I can grow many cultivars of poppies! This is the first year I've grown something different that the usual large pink poppies.

Well ... if you liked that red peony poppy ... check this one out! It was standing up tall like a large lollipop! The pattern on the bloom about blew me away. Another one that I have no name for, but it is definitely eye candy!

This message was edited Apr 10, 2011 11:19 PM

Here is a photo showing how tall it is. It is growing in the bucket with Lady Lavender Passiflora and an I. purpurea MG. LOL!

Becky, love that pink poppy. Yes I do grow a couple of Brugs. Mine are
waiting to be repotted and need spraying. Always fighting pests on my Brugs.

Gautier, MS

Beautiful blooms Becky!!

First time this Cl. Pinkie rose had so many blooms!

Thumbnail by helenahkh
Gautier, MS

A good spring blooming unknown rose.

Thumbnail by helenahkh
Gautier, MS

A new blue Iris for me!

Thumbnail by helenahkh
Gautier, MS

Love to see Seven Sisters rose each spring!

Thumbnail by helenahkh
Gautier, MS

Love the color of Veilchenblau rose!

Thumbnail by helenahkh
South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Beautiful Helen! Your rose bushes are really loaded!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.