Volunteers for mudball experiment results..

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

Such different results from everyones experiments, some of you might not get anything until next year LOL.. thank you for keeping us posted.. I got a four o clock and mgs, but I am sure once it stays warm, we will see some action.. BRR! cold again today.

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

I still have nothing showing from my seed ball. But am not going to distrub the pot yet.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

I have volunteer MGs popping up in the yard barely, so there is hope for the mudball yet;o)

Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

I haven't seen anything from it yet. And now I have....snow, again! Maybe when spring finally comes, or I should say when winter has left.

Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

Nothing here but snow again!

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Well, I was wrong! I had to use the huge pot I'd put the mudball on, so I decided to cut the senter of the pot out and move it to another location. As i was rooting around, I discovered 2 little clisters of very tiny green dots. (I'm thinking Celosia.) You coulda blowed me over! I carefully moved them to 2 pots of their own and am excitedly watching them grow!!! I will try to get a photo, but since I can't access Dave's Garden from my home computer, I have to take a picture from home, then e-mail it to myself at the office. Kind of a pain, but you gotta see these little guys!

Brandon, FL(Zone 9b)

Not sure what happened to mine... they were growing a bit, then the daylilies all started shooting outand blooming like mad and the mudball babies disappeared!! SORRY!!!

Thumbnail by DIRTYGIRL71

LOL DG, it is okay, you will be surprised when the lillies all die back. I have a big hole in my pot, where the squrrels sabatoged me, but I do have a lil sprout, kinda dark out to take a pic, will try to get one tommorrow.. durn critters, I feed them but they still have to "find" their dang pecans all around. ( In all my pots!)

Thumbnail by joeswife
Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Awwww! But what a cute critter;o)

Mexia, TX(Zone 8a)

This is so cool. I read this post and the before post and that is just totally neat how it all worked out. Maybe someone will take this on and do it again, be fun I think and I would love to volunteer.

DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL(Zone 8b)

I put my mud ball in this pot last fall. I use the pot to prop open the greenhouse door, and it looks much nicer than an old cinder block !
Here's what's blooming in it. I removed the Datura that was growing in there with it. The Zinna is washed out, but is a very very pale green.

Thumbnail by mjsponies

YAY!!! That is awsome! Thank You!

;-)

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Awesome mj!!

Kelly, only thing missing is some Chocolate Basil...!! ROFLMOL

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

We're working on that mj - keep the faith;o)

If ya all want to try some more.. I am going to take the huge bag of seeds I have left, and make a bunch for son's place.. I really don't want to start a new thread for this, but we can do it..

Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

I would love to try some if you do more. I have been watching from the 1st thread to see how things turn out. It's a great idea, and I sure hope it's working the way you had envisioned. I get tickled to see the progress of these mud balls.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Debra, I'd love if you could send one to my Mom in Maine to try. Lemme know;o)

Mooresville, NC(Zone 7b)

Here's my latest picture of a second plant starting to bloom, alyssum maybe?
Oh and nothing so far from Mudball #1, that's the one that was left out all winter. It could be my fault tho, soil, water, just have to wait a little longer I guess.

This message was edited May 19, 2011 11:49 AM

Thumbnail by melsalz
Mexia, TX(Zone 8a)

I will definately do it... Me and grandma would love to try in the fun.

Me too Debra ! Please...

That allysium is pretty, is it a white? .. Those can get big, the mother plants I got seeds from were about a foot in diameter.
After I get the new seed mudlfowers put together, we will start a sign up for a new batch, but I still want to observe the first batch for at least a year, if we can. Germination results seem to vary around the country. These seeds were not stratified, so some of them might need cold to germinate. I find it interesting that some seeds stay in the soil for years and years before they finally get to germination period.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

That is so true! I planted some Delphinium seeds a couple of years ago that I got at a swap. They never germinated until this winter when we had very cold temps - not normal for us. They were the most beautiful Delphs inthe world to me and not sure if they will come back, but I sure enjoyed them while they lasted...

Thumbnail by locakelly
Mooresville, NC(Zone 7b)

Quote from joeswife :
That allysium is pretty, is it a white? .. Those can get big, the mother plants I got seeds from were about a foot in diameter.
After I get the new seed mudlfowers put together, we will start a sign up for a new batch, but I still want to observe the first batch for at least a year, if we can. Germination results seem to vary around the country. These seeds were not stratified, so some of them might need cold to germinate. I find it interesting that some seeds stay in the soil for years and years before they finally get to germination period.

I was guessing that it was Alyssum, and you just confirmed. Yes it is white.
Also regarding seed staying in the soil. We moved into a house that had been vacant for 3 years. We lived in it for 7 before tearing it down and rebuilding 15 feet away. That next spring the most beautiful purple hollyhock bloomed in that 15 foot space between the houses!

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

I bet that HH was just lovely too;o)

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.