Volunteers for mudball experiment results..

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

we came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1133333/#new

The mudballs were sent out.. we are watching the results from around the country and world..

Thumbnail by joeswife
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA(Zone 7a)

Thanks for sending us a Winter experiment and the fresh page too.

Mooresville, NC(Zone 7b)

I might have pulled the trigger a bit fast on announcing my sprout. I looked again yesterday and there is another, just like it on the very outside edge of the pot. Impossible for the mud pie. So I'm not sure what is coming up. Could be weeds. I'll wait and report.

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

This little purple leaved sprout is coming up in the area where I put my mud ball. You can see the white marker behind it.

Thumbnail by bobyrd

OOOHHH either celosia or amaranthus.. can't wait to see!
I pulled the mg out because I didn't have a name for it. I am only letting mgs grow here that have tags now.

St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

Hi Wife,

Can you tell me where you get the clay for your seed balls? I scanned the threads but didn't see this info.

Thanks! Cathy

Tulsa, OK(Zone 7a)

SORRY TO BE SO DUMB WHAT IS MuD BALL???OOPS sorry hit the caps..

Quote from joeswife :
we came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1133333/#new

Hi Hope! go to the link to see what these are..

Tulsa, OK(Zone 7a)

ok Thanks..

Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

Mine looks very nice. The blooms on the MGs have gotten bigger. I'll take some pictures tomorrow. There is something else that I've got no idea what it can be.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Looks like a 4 o'clock no? This is in the spot where I originally planted the mudball. Musta fell off - lol. Now it's gotta compete with the zucchini...

Thumbnail by locakelly

Aww that is cute.. I hope it is a salmon coloured one, it looks like it is either going to be salmon or yellow, when the base gets a little bigger I can tell..it will do fine with the zucchini..

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Cool - the zucchini might help it not fry like mine did last year - it got hot too early - lol.

what fried, the squash or the four o clock? I love fried squash ;)
more morning glorys.. nothing else here.. so far, can't wait to get this back outside.. I am hoping for some of those asters..

Thumbnail by joeswife
Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

....buried in snow, again!

Thumbnail by evelyn_inthegarden
Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Ugh - snow...

The 4 o'clocks fried in my too hot desert sun. I planted the seeds where I thought they'd get pm shade and I was wrong at guesstimating where the sun would fall - lol.

P.S. I ♥ fried squash too!

DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL(Zone 8b)

Here's my seed cake coming up nicely...I think I may have to do a little "surgery" tho !

Thumbnail by mjsponies

I see a datura inoxia ( sorry about that) , some allsium, ( must have been in the mud) a zinnia, a cone flower, ( prolly magness).. I am hoping to see the dasiey flea bane aster.The lobelia cardinalis may not be germinated yet. There was a lot of seeds of that plant in these mudflowers. .

Debra,
Yes I think the Dat will need a different home than the others. It won't take the sun they will ( at least not down here). I hope the Lobelia comes up and the Aster come up ! It sure is an easy way to plant seeds.

You know how to care for them there, here they grow in full sun against the ouse, facing west. Should be a small tuber formed in there somewhere from it. My backyard Mud has things in it That may have been in the clay ;)
surprised we havn't seen a holly hock yet.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Nice mj! Here, Daturas grow wild in the fields with only rainwater and full on Phoenix sun. I hardly ever water mine in the yard. I thought it froze in our big freeze this year but I saw yesterday it's a comin' back from the root/tuber;o)

Nothing else has germinated since I moved the mudflower to it's new location. I think I need to cut the Dianthus back that it's by so it can get more sun...

Kelly,
Anytime I've tried to grow Dat's or Brugs here if full sun, but the time July- Sept. hits they just shut down. I've since started growing them as 'understory"plants and they have done soooo much better. I wonder if the difference might be the humidity we have here ? My Gordon's Picotee came back this year from the freeze and it's the first time a Dat has returned for me.
I also have to keep them away from my tomato plants...horned worm...grrrrrrr

This message was edited Apr 5, 2011 5:18 AM

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Yep, the hornworms love them. Saves my tomato plants - lol. I think the humidity may have something to do with it. I water mine if they look droopy (rarely), but they really need no supplemental water here. I bet you're happy GP came back - yeah;o)

I hardly ever water my moon flowers, neither does my son, his is in full windy sun, no shade and is back bigger than ever. I hope to see some of the Gordons picotee growing that someone sent me..

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

Here is the latest picture 4/4 of my mudball. Looks like I am only going to get two sprouts. Mudball has completely disappeared.

Thumbnail by bobyrd

Bobyrd, some of the seeds take a lot longer, some up to a year so do not be discouraged. asters need cold as does lobelia to wake them up.
good job so far!

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

ok. I'll leave my little marker there.

Mooresville, NC(Zone 7b)

As you know, I was lucky and somehow received 2 mudballs. One I put out at the beginning of winter, the other I put out about 2 months ago. What has come up is from the later of the two. No sign of life in the other mudball yet. But I have faith.

Melanie

Thumbnail by melsalz

I see what looks like a celosia, maybe orange or yellow, and what looks like maybe an aster or two.. YAY! ( just my observation)

Mooresville, NC(Zone 7b)

Oh that's exciting. I've grown celosia before but always red or pink. I've never grown asters, woo hoo!

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

So far I havn't seen any growth from my mud balls yet. I keep checking.
Right now there is thunder and rain here, but temps in the 70's.

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Nothing here either. It's possible it didn't survive the brutal winter we had. It really was exceptionally cold and icy. (I won't give up, though!)

It is good that it got frozen, some of the seeds in there needed variation of freezing temps.. ( stratification) a word I learned here in Daves garden.. ;)

Cocoa, FL(Zone 9a)

Quote from mjsponies :
Kelly,
Anytime I've tried to grow Dat's or Brugs here if full sun, but the time July- Sept. hits they just shut down. I've since started growing them as 'understory"plants and they have done soooo much better. I wonder if the difference might be the humidity we have here ? My Gordon's Picotee came back this year from the freeze and it's the first time a Dat has returned for me.
I also have to keep them away from my tomato plants...horned worm...grrrrrrr

This message was edited Apr 5, 2011 5:18 AM

The humidity most definitely may be the key as well as being a little closer to the equator. The humidity intensifies the heat making it feel like it's hotter and unfortunately the humidity doesn't do anything to help the plants. They burn up and dry out quicker than other places and depending on the weather I have to water my plants almost every day to make sure they aren't drying out to the point of becoming dehydrated. The other problem we have is poor soil quality. It's basically sand in most areas of central Florida, especially in Brevard County. However, we do have some areas where the soil is better and the further north you go the better the soil and some areas even have clay but those areas are generally up near the border near Georgia and Alabama.

Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

Here are some pics that I took of the experiment plants. I think only MGs came up for me and thrived.

Thumbnail by Roly0217
Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

I though that I had uploaded the more updated pictures into the computer. The morning glory has taken over a trellis that I put in. I love the colors of the blooms.

Thumbnail by Roly0217
Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Zip, zero, nada here. We did have an especially rough winter, though.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Nice pics Roly;o) I have the 4 O'Clock growing in the zucchini - lol. It's getting large but no blooms yet. Nothing from the mudflower after I moved it to it's new location though. Will dig around there this weekend and see what might be there...

Mooresville, NC(Zone 7b)

I was the lucky one who ended up with 2 mud balls. Mudball #1 planted outside before winter has no sign of life. Mudball #2 planted outside late winter has a happy celosia and some other flower growing. I'll try to post a picture later.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.