Zones 8-9 Spr/Sum 2011 Veggie Gardening is UNDERWAY Part III

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

this is a parthenocarpic variety called PARTENON

Thumbnail by drthor
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

You can freeze the okra daily and then use it when you get enough for a meal.

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

yes, I am freezing the Okra. So far only 6 ... but soon I think I will have lots.
Okra plants are taking off really fasy with this heat. This is the first year I am growing Okra.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I was very excited to see an okra flower on the ground and there it was--my first okra growing! I mean, first for this season. We grow okra every summer. Love it! And I just picked my first young leaves of swiss chard and arugula. Happy, happy, happy. Joy, joy, joy!

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

this is our first year as well and I finally was able to pick enough today to have a meal. Sadly the tomatoes have given up the ghost and today will be the last I get. We might have been able to save a bowl or so more but due to a death in the family and major real life interruptions this past week I haven't been up to dealing with the plants.

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

bariolo,
let me know if your Swiss Chard will survive our TX summer. Mine did last year!!
Some also survived the winter !! I am trying to figure out which variety will perform well here.
I luv Swiss Chard.

Thumbnail by drthor
Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

My harvest today ... finally some zucchinis and red peppers. The larger one is ATRIS (about 10") sweet pepper, the shorter red peppers are hot CHILE NUMEX JOE PARKER , 6" long. Also one Okra ... I am dreaming the day to say 50 okras ....

Thumbnail by drthor
San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Your harvest is impressive drthor. Beautiful stuff! My harvest over the last week has been less than your daily one, lol.

My *weekly* haul recently has been: 2 cukes, 1 scallop squash, a few leaves of kale, 3 bell peppers, a couple onions and about a dozen tomatoes.

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

Yes, I agree, Dr. Thor has had a bountiful harvest. Thanks for posting the many, many, many, many pics!

While I haven't had nearly the harvest Dr. Thor has shared with us, I have had many, many, many personal successes this season!
►Started 208 tomato seedlings and didn't lose a single one to damping off!
►Started 65 bell pepper seedlings and didn't lose a single one to damping off!
►Have picked exactly ONE army worm, and ONE large cutwork from my tomato crop!
►Have thumped exactly TWO stinking stinkbugs all season!
►Have NOT encountered a single tomato Hornworm! Harry's hanging out in the other yards!
►Had a herd of Assassin bugs patrolling the grass beneath my eBuckets, and have not even seen a bug TRYING to climp to my tomato plants!
►Gave the last of my tomato seedlings to a neighbor, literally minutes before they were to be carried to the trash heap. He planted all 28 of them (in-ground) a full month later than mine that already had china-ball size fruits on them, and, his plants were bending under the weight of all his ripening-on-the-vine fruits, the day I picked my first tomatoes!
►Had excellent POLLINATION from the Texas windstorms, even without bees!!!! (it IS possible...)
►Have seen my co-workers & friends producing bumper crops of tomatoes from my very own seedlings!
►Have been eating more of my own tomatoes that I never grew in my own yard than ever in my life (the "sharecroppers bounty from my co-workers and friends!!!)
►Have picked more tomatoes this season than in all the previous seasons, COMBINED!!!
►Am growing FULL-SIZED onions for the very first time!
►Discovered I truly enjoy growing healthy seedlings much more than growing fruit! (but don't twist my arm, I'll take the fruit, too!)
►Have new blooms on the plants and enough healthy suckers to start the fall tomato crop!
►Have much to be thankful for before Thanksgiving dinner!
►Discovered the MOMOTORO (Japanese) and SIOUX (heat-tolerant) varieties that will be a part of every tomato crop from now on!

It has been a truly exciting, enjoyable, and educational season for me!

Linda ^^ (jumping up and down, waving hands, because it's almost time to start seeds for the fall/winter crop... somebody slap her, please...)

This message was edited Jun 23, 2011 1:30 PM

Tucson, AZ(Zone 9b)

Good for you, Linda -- what a great report! Your neighbors and friends must think you are the greatest.

Mindy

Carrollton, TX(Zone 8a)

Gymgirl
drthor has revealed all of her growing secrets so tell us what you attribute your successes to? Maybe you could share what techniques you are using (like when and how you plant your self-grown seedlings, how you avoided damping off, etc.) and what products you like (like bat quano fertilizer, Azomite, etc.). I still have a couple of sheckles left even after buying most all of the products she likes and has mentioned (ha) (my last purchase, "The North American Biodynamic Sowing and Planting Calendar 2011".

Mindy,
Unfortunately, they think I can walk on water, and this is NOT true!!!!!

Hrp50,
Not sure I have any growing secrets. I did do several things differently with the seed-starting process this year, and probably need to repeat the process before I decide it's something or nothing at all...

I find I truly enjoy the R&D phase of this gardening thing, and sharing the information even more! So as I make new observations that I think are "true" and not just some fluke, I'll be happy to share with you guys.

That's what makes this garden so much fun! The sharing!

LJA

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Ok. I just spent 2 evenings spraying the heck out of all my plants. Yesterday I sprayed all my veggies and most other plants in the backyard with Neem--about 6-7 gallons. This evening, I sprayed all the veggies with Spinosad (3 gallons) and spread cedar granules (natural insecticide) to deter insects. I'm pooped! I hope some of this keeps things under control. Next I'll have to incorporate a bit of fertilizer here and there. I'm harvesting a few tomatoes, eggplant, cucs, arugula and okra every day now. I'm waiting for my sweet peppers to turn colors. I got a small batch of chard and am waiting for more to grow. I only have about 10 plants in 2 pots right now. Gotta make some dill pickles tomorrow. That's my gardening update. Have some fun and get your hands dirty tomorrow! Janet

Uh, I haven't sprayed a single thing in my yard -- ever.

But, not to worry! I think since this is my first season growing in this yard, the buggies just haven't arrived yet. Sooner or later word will spread that there' a new smorgasbord in town. I guess I'll be waging all-out war by NEXT spring!

Linda

Richland, WA(Zone 7b)

linda- consider yourself lucky- i have a plot in a brand new community garden, and have a lot of spidermites. my home garden-as soon as my pole beans sprouted they were all over them. i'm using organocide- working so far. i just had rotator cuff surgery 2 weeks ago- the doc says i was really torn up.he says 8-12 long hard months of healing. had my first therapy today. wish me luck. i do my gardening lefty, and friends are helping.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

JoParrott -- sympathy and understanding on the rotator cuff. Yep, a year -- and then some. I'm at 15 months and it still isn't right, but it's a whole lot better. Mine wasn't bad enough for surgery, he said it was just under the wire. Maybe I should have had it. Definitely keep up with your therapy.

Gymgirl -- what awesome results! You have it figured out, I'll bet! And I seem to remember a very good explanation of your technique on another thread. Maybe one of us can find it. It would save you a lot of typing, unless you've changed a lot up since then. I seem to recall it being on a thread about what containers to use for seed-starting, but I could be wrong. I'll look a bit later.

Me, I've been both satisfied and vaguely disappointed in my results. Although hubby is thrilled about how much better this year's garden has been, and it has been, I feel like I've had not enough edible for the amount of green and the number of plants. Not sure what the problem is. I think I overdid fertilizer on the tomatoes, although I was using a little meter to test fertility and just barely got the soil into the optimimum range. But likely too much nitrogen.

For cukes, I have a zillion flowers but not many cucumbers - I see bees buzzing but maybe not enough. And the cukes I do have are pretty small.

Bell peppers also small (growing in pots, maybe not enough room?). I read later I should have pinched off the first set of flowers to get better production.

Onions - Pingpong or billiard ball sized, was going for bigger.
Kale and Swiss Chard - same thing (growing in pots or cinder blocks, probably not enough room...)

I did grow one regulation-sized white scallop patty pan (in the ground), but only one, with 2 more very tiny babies. Guess I should have planted more of these.

Beans were okay this spring, I just should have planted more. Always next season, right!

Yep! It's full steam ahead. Soon as I get 27 piers buried, and my house leveled! aaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhh!

Thank God, for Angieslist.....

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Hey, Jo, I had right shoulder surgery in Fall of 2007 and it's SO much better now. It does take a long time to heal. Keep doing the physical therapy and stretches but don't rush it. It just takes a long time and I KNOW how frustrating it can be!

LiseP--we are so on the same page! Lots of time and effort (and $$) in the garden, not so much produce. But I know I am learning so much from reading on DG and asking questions. Luckily, living in TX, we can garden year round so now we have the Fall coming up. I do get tons of greens, turnips do extremely well and some of my plants will make it the whole year unless something devastating happens. So, one day, we will have pictures of our produce like Drthor!! Our hero!

And Gymgirl, you just hang in there. You are amazing! You work outside the home and still manage to do all this gardening. You go, girl!!

Now, pickle time! I hate having to actually buy dill for them but dill does NOT like our heat. Janet

Uh, Janet,
You should have a conversation with Bubba_MoCity about growing dill in this Houston heat...he supplies his whole buffalo burger joint....

Speaking of which, we Houstonian growers need to have a lunch rendezvous at Bubba's!

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Here some of my latest harvests.
Tomatoes are slowing down, but I have lots of green ones ...
My peppers are turning beautiful colors .. so I am waiting to pick them.
Eggplants are going crazy ....
Okra, just a few here and there
I found 3 tomato hornworm on my tomatoes ... which is ok ... I have not sprayed my garden yet this year and I need room for my cukes ...

Thumbnail by drthor
Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

I am harvesting the most amazing cukes.
I have not found one yet bitter.

Thumbnail by drthor
Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

I have harvested some peppers today too ...
I am going to cook GUMBO today, now that I have enough Okra !!

Thumbnail by drthor
Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Look at this beautiful color

Thumbnail by drthor
Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Zucchini parthenocarpic PARTHENON
aaahhhh I have a zucchini ...

Thumbnail by drthor
Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

This year I have planted my zucchini away from my veggie garden ... here and there in my flower beds.
I have sprinkled SULFUR around the planting hole.
Funny ... They are growing and starting to produce fruits ... I hope the Squash Vine Borer will not find them

Thumbnail by drthor
Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

The mosters are here ...
I was wondering where they are gone this year ...
Well I found a lot of them and squeezed them in my sunflowers in the front ...
Which is ok ... normally they are on my tomatoes in the back
MOSTERS ...

Thumbnail by drthor
Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

They are very slow ... so if you attach them on the back they will no see you.

Thumbnail by drthor
Richland, WA(Zone 7b)

lise, what treatment did you have> my doc said the rotator cuff does not heal- must be repaired. he did it arthroscopically- 4 little holes. i had my 1st therapy yesterday- he has his own therapist who knows exactly what to do- i love them both.he said when he saw the surgical report he was astounded at the amount of repairs that i had- then when i went in 15 days post-op, to not even be on pain meds anymore- i am ahead already, but he just kept warning- it will be slow and tedious.
anyway, back to gardening- i read with envy about all of your harvests- up here we are just coming into bloom.! well, have a great weekend, all.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Hey drthor, what is that vine growing onto the walkway in the last picture? I also am going to grow zuc away from my other garden--when I get the bed ready and the seeds in the ground! I notice you are growing the red okra. I did that one year but they did not produce the numbers like the green does. I am also getting okra now. I have a new variety I got--Perkins Mammouth Long Pod, and the plants are producing side shoots like crazy, as compared to the other varieties I've grown. My DH will be making smothered okra this weekend! And your pepper is purdy! And what kind of eggplant are those? I have 3 kinds this year and they have never been as good as now! Made the BEST eggplant pasta dish last weekend!
And Gymgirl, I'm in! Just tell me when and where! Not been to Bubbas before. (Notice I'm still on the computer and not making pickles?!!)

I sneak up from behind them, and flick a Bic fireplace lighter on their butts. They won't be flying anywhere soon!

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Hey drthor, what is that vine growing onto the walkway in the last picture?

Bariolo, I have Wooly Thyme growing between my stepping stones. It is ever green all year !

My favorite eggplant is :DUSKY ... not a fun of Black Beauty

I have 14 eggplant plants ... I need to learn their names. I love the classic eggplant looks.

Yummy !!!

Gymgirl ... are you serious ?

are you killing them with the lighter?

Drthor,
Serious as a hot flame on your butt!

I don't actually kill them as much as disable them. They can't fly anymore and once they're on the ground, they're fair prey to what's down there, and I don't see them coming up anymore....

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Huummm I am going to keep squizing them ...

BARIOLO, this is the first year I am growing Okra.
I really dunno what I am doing.
I like the red Okra in the picture ... Orange Jing and Burgundy Red.

Where did you buy the "Perkins Mammuth Long Pod okra" seeds ?

Oceanside, CA(Zone 10a)

I'm glad I looked in here. This must be Leaf-Footed Bug day. I've never had them before. First time I've ever seen them here....I was kinda excited even though I know the damage they do. You Texans keep your bugs away please :)

Had to take a pic of him....

Thumbnail by Ray_Der_Phan

Ray,
Since you've never seen them before, do me a HUGE favor and research the differences between the Leaffooted Stinkbug and the ASSASIN bug. The LFS is a definite bane to us tomato growers.

I had a herd of Assassin bugs patrolling the grass beneath all my veggie containers, and they kept EVERY creeping thing off my tomato plants all season long. I never even SAW a bug trying to crawl up a container!

Here's an I'd tip: LFS travel in "congregations" of what looks like orange ants with black legs. They also have a black bump on thrie butt.

Assassin bugs usually travel "solo". Even though you might see a "herd" of them, they'll generally stay apart from each other on their own turf.

They have been my ONLY garden defense this season!

P.S. The Assassin bugs seem to LOVE milkweed, which I guess I didn't know I had growing along my fenceline, in the grass.

Linda

Oceanside, CA(Zone 10a)

Well Linda, it's actually very easy to tell the difference between Assassin Bugs and Leaf-Footed bugs. Notice the leaf shaped part on the hind legs in the pic? No Assassin bug has this. A few leaf-footed bugs have a much less pronounced leaf shaped hind legs, which would make IDing them a little more difficult. Leaf-footed bugs have much thicker antennae and a harder to see beak. Assassin bugs have thin, wispy antennae and have an easily seen beak.

If all else fails, you can make one mad then see if it will bite you :) Kidding of course because you don't want an assassin bug bite. Hear it's painful and can make one real sick, if not worse. Leaf-Footed bugs don't bite people.

The nymphs are harder to tell apart. Leaf-footed nymphs are found in groups and assassin bug nymphs are generally alone(like you said). Leaf-Footed nymphs are also brighter in color. Assassin Nymphs have tiny white spots.

Stinkbugs don't really look like either, they're much stockier. Like a little tank. In some areas they call leaf-footed bugs, stinkbugs. But they're actually two different bugs altogether. Kinda like around here, people call Sow Bugs, Potato Bugs. But a Potato Bug is really a Jerusalem Cricket. Two vastly different creatures.

This message was edited Jun 25, 2011 10:25 AM

Thumbnail by Ray_Der_Phan
Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

I have never heard of a Sow Bug being called a Potato Bug, even when I lived in Ca.!

In Ca. What we called stinkbugs were black and put their hind end in the air when bothered, here stinkbugs are a completely different bug.

Jo my shoulder surgery was in Fall 2007 . The MRId didn't show anything so the Dr. Said he would go in and take a look. Well when he got in to my shoulder the damage was so bad he apologized later. He had to remove part of my clavicle because it was eating into a really inflamed tendon. I have a really high pain tolerance so I let it go too far and I don't have much faith in MRIs anymore. Lol
It does take forever to get better but be patient it will. Mine is never going to be the same because I waited too long but it is better. I have stopped falling of horses that helped too.

Oceanside, CA(Zone 10a)

Quote from 1lisac :
I have never heard of a Sow Bug being called a Potato Bug, even when I lived in Ca.!

In Ca. What we called stinkbugs were black and put their hind end in the air when bothered, here stinkbugs are a completely different bug.

Yup, but what we call stinkbugs out here are actually Darkling Beetles, they bury their head and stick their butts up releasing funk. But stinkbugs from Texas(and the south) are actually real Stinkbugs by name.

I'm sorta shocked you've never heard anybody call pillbugs....potato bugs.

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks so much for all those great information.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Drthor, in the past, I've gotten most of my seeds from Seeds of Change website. But I've discovered, through DG, there are other sources of org. seeds, some from generous members! Maybe next Spring I'll get into the seed swapping business. :)
Lisa, your shoulder story is very similar to mine. MRI showed some damage but once in surgery, he found lots more to do!
Now. Do we all have the bug situation straightened out? Thanks for all the info. I know more about bugs and their regional names that I ever did before. Not that I'll remember... :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.