How do I plant asparagus fern tubers?

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 6b)

Rec'd asparagus fern tubers at a recent seed swap and I'm trying to find instructions on the internet about how to plant these tubers and most of the research I have found seems to be about the downfalls of having this indoor plant. What type of soil is used? How deep do I plant the tubers? Is there a special way that the tubers should be planted? Is asparagus fern a fast grower? I have a sunroom that is more of an addition than what I consider a sunroom to be. It is not all glass enclosed, looks more like a small Fla. room would look like. The previous owner I understand was quite a gardener and had lots of houseplants and probably lots of swag lamps as there are no ceiling lights except the fan/light combination we had installed when we moved here 6 yrs. ago. There are large windows on all 3 sides to this room plus outside entrance door. These houses originally had sliding glass doors on all 3 sides of the room but previous owner had them removed and walls and windows installed and the outside cheap jalousie type door. Previous owner also put wall to wall carpet when the house was put on the market for sale, same as throughout the house-light beige, cheap quality. At the present time, the only house plant I have is some type of plant that sits on top of tv and I'm about ready to pitch that. This room gets the morning sun and because of the glare, we have to keep the mini blinds closed most of the day. You see the reflection of the houses and everything outside on the tv if the blinds are left open making it impossible to watch tv without closing the blinds.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Gosh, sorry no one has any help here. Have you tried anything with them yet? I figured one could just pot them up and that they would just go. They are in the lily family.

Do you plant them vertically or horizonally? I can't seem to find anything in my gardening books or on internet.

I think they were mostly in the pot vertical. Maybe there are some thready little roots to hint to you about down or up too! If in doubt, horizontal should work too. They put out a very skinny stem. I don't think position will be a big deal like it is with a real lily.

Okay, how many of these should I plant in say a hanging basket? Average size..what's that 8 or 10 inch. hanging basket? I'd like for it to look full when it grows.

Wth each one making a few sprouts at first, I'd think plant a dozen in a pot that size, I started mine from seed so it has filled a pot that size now its about four years old..

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.