2011 Spring Plant Swap in Lucketts, VA - May 21

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

I'll be hosting a spring plant swap at "Aspen Hill", my home in Lucketts, VA. The date is set for Saturday, May 21, so mark your calendars!

When - Saturday, May 21, 2011
Time - 11:00 am to 4:00 pm, but very flexible; feel free to come early and/or stay late!
Where - Lucketts is on Rt 15 between Frederick, MD and Leesburg, VA

I'll set up separate threads for plants and pot-luck at some point. We'll use this thread to chat and for who will be coming.

Plant Offerings Haves/Wants Thread here:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1177044/

PotLuck Thread here:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1177047/

Who is coming:
Terri (aspenhill) - host
Cheryl - Lucketts neighbor friend
catbird423
Bec_No_VA (twiddly dee)
Chantell (twiddly dum)
critterologist
sallyg
donnerville & friend Liann
greenthumb99 & ecnalg
holly, ric, & JR
NisiNJ & friend
Ruby & John
Orchidfancy
Pippi21
stormyla
Gita
Scubasteve04

This message was edited Mar 13, 2011 10:03 AM

This message was edited Mar 29, 2011 5:11 AM

This message was edited Apr 30, 2011 9:09 AM

This message was edited Apr 30, 2011 9:23 AM

This message was edited May 11, 2011 9:21 PM

This message was edited May 11, 2011 9:26 PM

This message was edited May 16, 2011 8:17 PM

Thumbnail by aspenhill
Odenton, MD(Zone 7b)

I shall be there, its always a good time!

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

I'll be there with bells on! ^_^

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Yes!! I'm ready for another MAG party!

Let me know if I can come down earlier in the week to help with anything.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

I will be there, ( yes Robin you will ride with me!) Beware Terri, make sure you check me for a tent , I might come live by your pond.

Damascus, MD(Zone 7a)

Thank you for hosting it. I will be there.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Pat (ecnalg) and I will be there.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Yay! Looking forward to seeing everyone.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Ric and I will be there with GS JR in tow.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Is anybody else interested in planting some oriental lilies this spring? I started a thread here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1164932/ so we could organize a group purchase. I'm looking at Sunshine Bulbs because they have good prices on 25-bulb bags and free shipping. :-)

Bordentown, NJ(Zone 7a)

If it's okay, I would like to come to this swap, too. I did go to the one a couple of years ago at Rick and Holly's.

This year I would visit my friend (and college roomate MANY years ago) who lives in Finksburg, MD, then we would both drive down to VA. She loves gardens--flower AND vegetable--but cannot stay out in the sun long enough to garden herself. So I plan to plant her vegetable garden that Friday and then she will drive me ..and my plants..to your swap.

I usually have a good assortment of tomato seedlings (and love to trade for more). And if the winter snap we're having now doesn't kill my WS containers, I would have some flowers, too.

Thanks, Denise

PS. My friend's a pretty good cook..

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

What fun to get to see you and your friend at the swap, Denise! Terri's place is has plenty of shady spots where she can stay out of the sun. :-)

Hi Nisi, I had some of your tomatoes last time- THanks! Glad you can make it.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Nisi, so glad you and your friend will be able to come!

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Well darn! Holly was asking me if I might be able to make it to your plant swap so I had to go looking for the thread AND date! I would absolutely love it if I could make it but unfortunately that's the first weekend of our Open House here in Lexington :( I'll just have to make plans to get up there another time, maybe I'll get a private tour? :) I envy all those who will be able to attend - this is one event I'm really going to be sorry about missing!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

ahem... in addition to the oriental lily thing, I'm about to place an order with BloomingBulbs for the astilbe they have at very nice sale prices. We're doing it on the same thread as the lilies: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1164932/

BB also has good prices on phlox (with free shipping) if you buy 15 of a variety... we did that a few years ago, and it worked out well. I lost too many plants last summer, so I'm looking at their phlox again this year. I especially want 'Laura', 'David', and 'Eva Cullum'. We should probably start a separate thread for splitting a phlox order, but for the moment we're talking about it on the same thread as the lilies & astilbe.

Crozet, VA

Wonderful....John was asking earlier this week if I knew when the Plant Swap was going to be. I can now fill him in. Thank you Terri for offering to host the event. I am sure that it will be lots of fun like all the others have been. Looks as though some great folks are coming too. Hope to see everyone there.

Ruby

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Debbie, I would have loved it if you could have made the swap, and I would definitely have liked to make your open house - maybe one of these days the timing will work out! Private tour anytime you are up this way and have time to stop in. I'll probably see you at the Green Springs Plant Sale if you are doing that again this year.

Ruby, I hope you and John can make it to the swap - I'd love to see you guys again.

Crozet, VA

Thanks Terri. We will try our best to be there. We have always enjoyed the ones we have attended in the past and truly regard it as a high light of our year. For a while I was away from Dave's and last spring contacted Becky and asked about a plant swap. We attended the one at her place and I have since spent almost a year now back and chatting with a truly wonderful group of folks.

At the first swap we attended at Hart's some years back, I was so impressed with the giving nature of everyone there. I can't recall other times when anyone was begging me to take some real lovelies off their hands. On a couple of occasions we have ended up with quite high dollar "trees" that folks have so kindly given us.

Another bonus of attending and participating in the swaps is that when gazing upon our gardens we are reminded of the special person at Dave's who gifted us with the plant. Many of you are remembered very kindly when I check m y gardens. Thank you everyone.

Ruby

cambridge md, MD(Zone 7a)

I will be there with Pippi21 . l am looking forward to it ,Christiane

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Yippi! Pippi & Christi! LOL

I'm really excited about seeing everybody next month. :-)

I'm taking a few cuttings and potting up a few extra seedlings here & there, making sure I'll have something to post on the plant swap thread when it goes up.

yay. I've also got pots going in the garden!

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Terri, I will do my best to attend. I'm dying to see everyone & your lovely property.!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Oh Stormy it would be so very good to see you.

woo hoo

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Hi all. I'll be starting the haves/wants and potluck threads this week. I'm counting down, and can't wait to see everyone.

yippee - I have a bunch of pots already out there, I just need to write down what I've got and post it, and then see what else I might want to pot up

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

:-) Joyanna helped me get some cuttings today of Jasminum x Stephanense, and it looks like some honeysuckle cuttings we took earlier are rooting well in their pots. I'm going to try to label cuttings as I go this year so I'm not packing plants for the swap and wondering what they are!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Critter what Honeysuckle do you have?
I put together a list but I am finding a lot more plants to add to the list. not sure they are plants anyone wants but I have them. LOL

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

We'd better hold further chatter for the plant thread... (I have L. americana and the coral honeysuckle, both unknown varieties but I have ;photos I can post on the new thread). I know what you mean about finding out if people want things... don't want to pot up a bunch of crooked willow cuttings for example and then have no takers... oh, I do want black pussywillow, though! LOL, so much for not talkin' plants here.

Let's see, back on topic... oh, that's right, yes, I plan to come! I can come down earlier in the week or early that morning, too, if there's anything I can do to help out.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

OMG!!!!!

I must have been playing Ostrich not to catch this Thread--now going for over a month!!!!
Shame on me!!!! Gotta look around more--now and then.....

I AM COMING TOO!!!! Sally! Got room left for me????? I would die if i could not ride up/down with you!!!!

Aspen--please add me to your list!!!!

Gita

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

The Potluck and Have/want thread links are in the first post (or just look for them in MAG). :-)

If you're coming, make sure you post in this thread and get your name on the list at the top, so Terri will know to Dmail you directions!

Catbird and Gitagal are riding with me unless they say otherwise.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Oopss missed the sign up thread....will be there with Thing 1 - or is she Twiddly Dee?

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

I respectfully claim 'twiddly dee'!!

Falls Church, VA(Zone 7b)

Hi, just saw this. I am interested in coming if I can get a ride. Is this swap in place of the one that Bec_No-Va has usually hosted? I thought I saw something about a Memorial Day swap, but I must be thinking of last year.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

We try to share around hosting responsibilities for the spring & fall swaps... Becky offered again last year because the person who was planning to host wasn't able to do so. But yes, this is the "usual" spring plant swap! The date tends to vary a little, also. :-)

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Anyone coming from NJ--or Northern PA along the Eastern side...

I would like to offer my home as a half-way stop-over--if anyone wants. Nisi???

I can sleep 4 people--no problem....One Dbl. bed with private bath---perhaps for a couple??
and two Twin beds--upstairs--share bigger bathroom. I have a 3rd bathroom off my BR.
No one will starve for food! I prefer the "help yourself" concept....Easy!

I am about 2 miles off of I-95 at Exit 67B. (White Marsh Blvd. Rt. $43 West.
VERY easy to find!
Nothing fancy--just homey-comfy. Garden to rest your eyes in....Beer and wine available....

Please let me know if you would like to stay over--either coming or going...
You are welcome!!!! I know NJ is abut 2-3 hours from here. VA is another two?

I will ride up with Sally--who is about a half hour drive South from my house. We can caravan....

Might be a comfortable way to take a break....
I am off on Friday and Saturday--but do work on Sundays--9-6. You can get up as late
as you want--and lock the door when you leave....IKEA (5 minutes from my house)
has Sunday AM breakfasts for 99 cents---eggs, hash browns, bacon OR sausage,,,
Double the fare--and get a really good breakfast for $2.
coffee and drinks separate...Nice restaurant!

Gita

Crozet, VA

I am getting really excited now folks. So much fun!!! Gosh ya'll, I have seen so many great offerings and after I make my wishes known to those I just read about, I think that the back end of our car ought to be full to over flowing. Exciting!!!

The month of May has us invited places each weekend. So glad that the winter is behind us and that we can now all begin enjoying the sunshine and pretty blooms popping up everywhere.

Looking forward to seeing everyone at Terri's. Thank you so much for offering to host this Terri.

Ruby

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Terri--

You have not mentioned if you will have a "Gift table"?????
Or--at least I have not seen it anywhere....Yes? No?

Thanks....

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.