Visit to the Butterfly Farm in Phuket, Thailand

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Hi Folks!
It's me again, with more Butterfly photos from our recent trip to Asia. While we were there, we took a side trip from Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, where DH's BFF lives to Phuket, Thailand.
We decided to stay in a new resort (with western style food, for my tender tummy), on an Island in the town of Phuket. There are a lot of little islands that are around that town. I'll be posting those photos on a thread called "What I Saw Today", on the Photo forum. : - )
The area of Phuket was one of those that got hit by the Dec. 26th, 2004, Tsunami. I've got to tell you, the folks there, are survivors, and they have a lot of pride and spirit. Was really nice to see. : - )
The B.fly Farm was impacted by the Tsunami, but it's amazing what they've done, and well worth the trip if you happen to be in the area. : - )
The following series of photos, are pretty much how I saw the farm and I'll try to keep my descriptions brief. I welcome comments on the photos and the plants that feed the butterfly's.
So don't be shy now! : - )
Walk In Beauty!
SingingWolf

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

While I was pulling myself together, DH paid for our entrance to the Butterfly Farm in Phuket. I was still arranging things so I could use the cane, and take photos. Ended up handing DH the cane again, and walking really slow. But I'm also getting better at taking the photos on the fly with one hand.
The previous photo, which I should have numbered, but forgot to, so we'll call it #1 and this photo, #2 was the first thing I saw upon entering the farm proper.
I've never really seen many chyrsalis' (sp?) in person, and was entranced by the Golden color on this one. Change the angle slightly and it almost looks silver. Now this is a treasure, and such a nice surprise. : - )
I'm not sure if the B.fly farmers even knew it was there. : - )

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

This is what it looked like when we stepped through the door. You can see some b.fly's flitting about, but not clearly.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Okay, I'll quit teasing you all now.
I am not entirely happy with this photo, because I had to rotate it, so that my name doesn't cover the pretty blue and black b.fly. : - )
You notice the edge of his wings are blurred because he was still a flittering a bit.
: - )

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Sorry for the delay, I had to answer the phone. Pesky thing! : - )
This is how I saw the b.fly.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

How about an edge on view of the same b.fly? : - )

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Once again, it's hard to get them to pose for you. : - |
Fumbling with one hand trying to catch it as it lit on the flower, because that's about the only time you can see them with their wings open.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

I moved the telephoto and scared it, I guess, and it started to fly away.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

The colors are so much more vibrant there. Just a pretty group of flowers. : - )
You can see the b.fly that flew away as I went to snap the photo. : - )

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

So far I haven't seen that many b.fly's, but DH saw some that he was interested in.
: - )
Since he's not carrying the cane I must be using it. : - )
DH does like koi ponds, and was checking this one out with some interest. : - )

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

A view of the lush tropical plants surrounding the koi pond. : - )

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

There are a lot of black b.fly's in this photo. They like those pink flowers covering that arbor as much as I do! : - )

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Lots of koi. DH wanted these fish photos. Sigh . . .

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

There are even more in this one. Must be close to feeding time?

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Another one for pond people. LOL!
I like some of the elements of this photo, but didn't realize how white that bridge is!
The fish you see swimming in this photo are between 1 to 3 feet long.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

I'm tired of fish, and this is a nice man made waterfall. : - )

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Another view of the waterfall. Gee, I wonder what those bamboo poles are doing up there?

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

I guess you'd call these guys big croakers or pond art. LOL!

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Oh I didn't realize you can see the bridge reflected in the pond. I took this one as an overview of the pond as seen from a different place. I kinda like that island with the cave in it. : - )

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

It's really hard to see this b.fly, but he is perched on the plant under the darker blue screen cloth.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Better photo of the flower in photos #7 & 8.

This message was edited Mar 7, 2011 12:48 PM

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

I do not know what these flowers are called, but I really want some. : 0)

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

I meandered away from DH, because I wasn't getting to take the photos I wanted. There were a lot of people about and that made it even harder to get a decent photo.
But looky what I found! : - )

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

The b.fly flew off, and I finally caught up with it again! Fast bugs! : - )

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

At all the farms we visited, they had hanging tables with flower arrangements on them. I know the B.flys like the flowers but I think they may have added something extra to these arrangements. All by themselves I thought they were pretty. ; - )

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

I about stopped dead in my tracks. I do believe that is salvia. Who knew the b.fly's like it too. I knew the hummers do but didn't know about the b.fly's. : - )

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

They had a lot of epi's and orchids growing on the trunks of the trees. I was fascinated so I did take more photos of them than I maybe should have. But you know the whole little ecosystem was fascinating. ; - )

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Did we ever figure out what kind of plant these guys are? If so I went and forgot.
Sure was a pretty spot with all the hanging color. : - )

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Photo of a blurry brown with white spots, b.fly.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

I think I was taking this photo showing how they used the plastic to tie the plants together when the b.fly flew into the frame, and I lifted the camera, so he came out blurry.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

This is more like it! : - )
I'm going to have to take a short break and find out what ES needs. : - )

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

A marigold! I see something else I recognize! : - )

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Except for it's yellow color, I'd swear this is a snail vine. Mine are kind of purple in color. : - )

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

I know this flower too. It's a lantana. The b.fly's do seem to like the white and yellow ones best. : - )

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

It's hard to take photos of b.fly's when they are way over your head, but the telephoto helped. : - )

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Same b.fly decided to give me a break, and let me zoom in a bit more. : - )

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Sort of a profile view of the b.fly.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

How about the colors on this b.fly? : - )
It may be a little chewed up but it's still beautiful!

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

This was a tricky photo to get, and I'm surprised it turned out so well. : - )

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Artfully placed ferns and other green stuff. LOL! : - )

Thumbnail by SingingWolf

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.