Off Topic - Gas Prices

Erwin, TN(Zone 7a)

I have seen the Bases [from a distance] and talked with those who have helped build them, -- look into the Denver Airport-

Fowlerville, MI(Zone 5b)

[One reason] for the high gas prices is because of the devaluing of our US dollar. When our government prints more and more money out of thin air, it makes our dollar worth less. Oil is traded in US dollars; every nation, in order to buy oil, must use US currency (US dollars) to buy oil. The oil producers in the Middle East are not stupid. They know that we're printing more money which is making our dollar worth less and less. So they have raised their oil prices to compensate for each dollar being worth less, so that they don’t take a loss because of the falling dollar. The devaluing of our dollar is the very reason that other nations and international banking institutions are considering dropping the use of the US dollar as their “global currency” and going to some other kind of currency. [I hope I’m wrong], but....for this reason (our government printing more money out of thin air and thus making it worth less) I don't see the price of gas going down any time in the near future. Gas is going up and so are groceries, textiles (cotton, etc.), etc., for this very reason. .....History teaches us that this [could be] the beginning of hyper-inflation. And because our dollars is no longer backed by the “gold standard”, if the world stops using the US dollar for global trading, We the People will see very dark days the like of which America has never seen before. It has the potential to make the Great Depression look like a cake-walk. ……You can thank those in Washington for the decisions they have made over the past 80-100 years (+-) and apathetic American citizens for not keeping a close eye on our representatives. .......I sure hope I'm wrong though.

(Zone 6b)

You make very valid points Glenda, I agree with you, but aren't the other countries being controlled by the same banking cartels that we are, and aren't they having the same problems?

There are people claiming the bankers in London are behind it all, specifically the Rothschild and Rockefeller families.

It's all very difficult for me to comprehend. Guess we are all wondering what will happen. I know I am.

Years ago, about 1985 I was discussing with a friend about the price of gasoline. I said how grateful I was it was staying at a dollar a gallon. I said, "They could raise it and do anything they want to us." His response was, "They just aren't ready yet. They'll do it when they are ready".

Fowlerville, MI(Zone 5b)

That's a good point LFJ! …I am no where near an expert on this topic; there is a lot about it I have yet to learn. But it goes without saying the global economic turmoil the world is experiencing is not cause by just one problem. The devaluing of the dollar is just one factor. Another factor is nations, like America, have spent more money than their treasuries have taken in. They've made costly promises to their citizens that they [cannot] financially afford to keep, resulting in protesters rioting in the streets in some nations, which also create economic instability that causes prices to rise. Every nation that is drowning in red ink is having trouble, so national debt is also a factor. And then there are, most likely, the backroom deals, negotiating, agendas, and planning that average citizens are not privy to, factoring into this also. I'm sure there are many more factors contributing to the problems many nations are experiencing. .....The end result of [all of the factors] is going to be felt in our wallets.

Bridgewater, ME

3.74 here Sat.

(Zone 6b)

Edited because I think I'm getting too wild here on DG. It might not be acceptable.

This message was edited Mar 7, 2011 9:35 AM

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

I thought US money was only printed and circulated in the amount based on the value of the gold in Fort Knocks(spelling). Old bills removed and destroyed as new are printed

Richmond, TX

We've been off the gold standard for decades.

Fowlerville, MI(Zone 5b)

I just filled up at the Shell station in Howell, Michigan and paid $3.45 per gallon, but I got 10 cents a gallon off the price because of my Kroger card. The line of cars waiting for gas was long and starting to cause traffic problems. .....I had a flash-back to the long lines of the 1970's!! Not cool!

(Zone 6b)

About 1975 they said our gold was missing in Fort Knox too. Nobody told us where it went or why.

Porkpal is right, we are not on the gold standard. They just borrow and print whatever they want.

(Zone 5b)

Local gas station today:
Regular $3.49.9
large coffee $.99

I use the Giant Eagle Get Go card so depending on what I spend on groceries there is a break on gas prices. Today I got 40 cents off a gallon. Don't want to say "saved" because groceries are so high right now.

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

wow must be nice. Nothing like that around here

(Zone 6b)

My 97 Cadillac only takes premium, and it was $3.69.

(Zone 5b)

Donna, it took buying about $450 in groceries to get it LOL. But since I have to buy groceries anyway...

I've been looking for a local farmer to buy beef and pork from so I know the meat is "what the animals ate" and support local farming.

Fowlerville, MI(Zone 5b)

Wow AnnieBBB, 40 cents off a gallon! That's awesome; good for you!! Thank heaven for our grocery cards!! At least we get some kind of discount for buying food we'd have to buy regardless! ;)

(Zone 6b)

AnnieB, if you have a local processor, call him. They know who sells beef and should be able to get your connected. That's how I found my beef, I heard of a man that processed grass fed cattle. They were more than willing to call the rancher and have him deliver a steer. The one I use is called "Dalhart Processing Plant". Dalhart is the town, and it is a small place but is so busy. He must make a small fortune in there. It's always crowded.

What is kind of gross to find out though, is that they hang the beef so many days after it is killed. It ferments. ugh So, they ask you how many days you want it to hang, like I want to know this? Let me be ignorant please! They want you to pick a day and it can't be over 21. The first two we had were great. They said 19 days was a good time. This last time I told them 19, and I think they waited another two days. This meat has a rather funny taste I don't like. I haven't told my daughter why. Let her be ignorant. She thinks it tastes great, and I'm not going to tell her why I think it's a little bit gross.

Fowlerville, MI(Zone 5b)

AnnieB, if you have no luck there, and you have an Amish community within a reasonable driving distance, take a drive there to check with them. :)

Southern NJ, United States(Zone 7a)

LfJ, this might be more than you wanted to know, but we hang our deer for a couple of weeks in cool weather, to tenderize it and improve the flavor. We hang lamb for about a week. Here's what I wrote on another thread about it:

Quoting:
Everything I've read, including The River Cottage Meat Book by Fearnley-Whittingstall and On Food and Cooking by Harold McGee, states that aging improves the tenderness and flavor of the meat. I had heard before, and McGee agrees, that after two and a half hours for a large animal like a deer, rigor mortis sets in, making the meat tougher and stringier. McGee writes in his book (p. 143) "Carcasses are hung up in such a way that most of their muscles are stretched by gravity, so that the protein filaments can't contract and overlap very much; otherwise the filaments bunch up and bond very tightly and the meat becomes exceptionally tough. Eventually, protein-digesting enzymes within the muscle fibers begin to eat away at the framework that holds the actin and myosin filaments in place. The filaments are still locked together, and the muscles cannot be stretched, but the overall muscle structure weakens, and the meat texture softens. This is the beginning of the aging process. It becomes noticeable after about a day in beef, after several hours in pork and chicken."

I was advised a few years ago that when we butcher our chickens we should let them rest in a refrigerator for two to three days before freezing them to make them tenderer, and it has really made a difference in the quality of the meat. Prior to that only crock-pot or pressure cooking would make them decent eating. McGee also answered my question about how the farmyard cockerel killed right before cooking could have been edible; he explains that rigor mortis doesn't set in in chickens for about an hour. I had been wondering about that.

Fowlerville, MI(Zone 5b)

Greenhouse gal, I always wondered WHY people hung their trophies up for so long. Now it all makes sense! Thank you! I found your two books on Amazon and will be ordering them. :) ......I learn something new every day!

Glenda, I like Howard McGee's book better for wide-ranging information, but The River Cottage Meat Book is also very good. I'm just not sure I wouldn't have liked one of his more general books better.

(Zone 5b)

Gas today - $3.29

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

Still $3.79 here.. cheaper though! :)

(Zone 5b)

It almost felt like Christmas LOL

Ferndale, WA

Gas station across from the Sea-Tac airport in Seattle is $4.65 per gal...Hay

(Zone 5b)

Stay away from Sea-Tac, that's awful!

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

Sure did Annie! LOL

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

Its $3.49 here in Ga. We are seeing a bounce price war between Murphy's (Wally world) and the Ingles grocery chain here. If one goes down in price the other either matches or goes a penny further, then back up again!

Fowlerville, MI(Zone 5b)

Hi Eufaula!!! I was just thinking about you the other day and wondered how you were doing!!!! It has been a while since I've been on DG with any regularity - too many fires burning at the same time. I thought life was supposed to slow down when the kids left the nest, but that doesn't appear to be the case. ....Do you have your chickies again? If so, what kinds do you have? Well, it's wonderful to see you on here again! I've always enjoyed your posts so much. .....You take good care of yourself now! ~ Glenda

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

Hey There Glenda!!! So Nice to hear from you too!! Oh Yes I have my Chickies again. You will just have to scan the entire Poultry and Livestock forum and catch up !!!! So good to have you here again!

Richmond, TX

Gas $3.37, Diesel $3.69 this morning.

There was a discussion on NPR about gas prices yesterday, I think it was, and one of the guests was asked why diesel is now more expensive than regular gasoline, since it used to be cheaper and requires less processing. The answer was that because it's more popular in Europe much of it is exported, and the reduced supply here drives prices up. Not sure that's a totally convincing reason, but there you have it.

(Zone 6b)

:) There you have it.

I want a pickup truck so BAD. I almost bought one today, but then I looked up the gas mileage on that truck and it averaged 12 mpg. So, I decided that wasn't the truck for me! Diesel motors last a lot longer, but they stink so bad, I don't like all that smell. What I was thinking, was finding a good used one with as many as 75,000 miles on it, and that would probably last me forever. Knowing me, I won't go over 50K in it in 7 or 8 years. 4X4 I won't have to worry about being snowed in, I could haul some peach trees from the store, and lumber, etc. :D

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

I love my truck and detest when hubbie has to take it and leave me his car. I never leave the house very often but if he takes my truck I end up needing to go some where. I can't hardly get in and out of it with my back. I have had a truck for the last 10 yrs. My truck will run on Flex Fuel what ever that is. There is none around here

Erwin, TN(Zone 7a)

I have a 1971 Ford F-250 I drive to my work, -- it gets about 10 or 11 miles to the galon of gas, in town, -- I just got rid of my 2006 F-250 it also got 10 to 11 miles to the galon of gas, -- but the parts were very expensive and I could not work on it myself, --
--you would think that in 30 years they would give us a more efficient engine, --[OH wait, --they did, and the Gov. recalled them at gun point in 1958, see "special edition thunderbird " gets 127 MPG]

Ferndale, WA

Sorry Michael, but I had to laugh. Hey Michael I have a 1997 Ford F350 Crewcab. I have checked it several times, recently and I get 14-15MPG. Whats up with your pony...Haystack P.S. The engine is a whooping 460

(Zone 6b)

I wondered what flex fuel is. I see it on the back of these trucks. Do you get a tax write off or something if you buy one? One truck says hybrid. ???

Michael, about 30 years ago, a friend told me about a relative of hers, a sixteen year old kid who had somehow discovered how to run his car on water. All the neighbors were talking about it. Then, he was visited by some men in black suits and never spoke of it again. What he was supposedly told was, "Son, this economy runs on oil, if people knew cars could run on water, it would destroy our economy". Then he was threatened.

Also, a man here in town had an uncle who invented a carbeurator that could make a car get 75 mpg, and he was also visited by men in black. :)

I read and watched a number of videos on cracking gas with electricity to make hydrogen. It was interesting but I never got around to trying it.

(Zone 5b)

LFJ, I'm sure glad you didn't try cracking gas with electricity. I would think men in white coats would come running. LOL

(Zone 6b)

???

Ferndale, WA

LFJ Have you taken to midnight sippin...LOL...Annies right, If you see the men in white coats, Run darling Run...LOL...Hay

Dahlonega, GA

And I have a 1200 mile trip to make the end of this month driving a full size converted van pulling a 12' loaded cargo trailer .Be nice to get back to the little five speed , six cylinder Ford Ranger .
Then can go see Eufala's chcks and P .P .

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.