March and Springtime!

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

My onions are growing reliably since 2007. The Walking Onions, I think from tetleytuna at the 2007 Spring RU, are still growing fine onions, we eat them every year! One of the aides here said they are twice as big as the ones in the store! In the photo you can see them pretty good, they have "walked" over to the left and the right side of the raised bed, they started in the back! Wow 80° F tomorrow?! I'll be doing even more outside tomorrow! Today, I got a bunch of seeds planted and I even filled a yard waste sack full of sticks!

Thanks happ, looking forward to a dark red Rose vine!
Ack!! Windy?! I got lots of hats! lol
Can I ask what kind of hardy Palm you have happ?
Where is that billyp?!

This message was edited Mar 16, 2011 10:41 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Supposed to be even windier tomorrow.

Eeeee!! Windier than today?! I might have to use the tie-strings on my hat! I like "Swamp People" on the History channel but not for much longer prolly, not a big fan of the theme of the show, killing Alligators.
Well, on a non-televised note, it was downright warm today!!
I worked on my home-made trellis thing today, I added the top part, (one-third of it). That thing is like 8 feet tall now! I'm gonna have the Honeysuckle vine on the West side, (or left in the photo), and maybe happ's Rose on the other side. I used nuts and bolts going thru everything, that thing is sturdy and constructed to last hopefully for many years, long enuff to see mature vines!
Hehe, yes we'd get in big trouble for burning in the city, but we do it anyway! Well, I don't now because we have neighbors..lol Where I lived for 20 years before, it was kinda rural, even though it was East Independence, MO. I remember years ago this one neighbor had a big brush-fire burning in his driveway and it got out of hand, it turned into a big fire, (it coulda burned his house down AND the neighbor's house). I remember going down the road and the fire dep't was putting it out, he prolly got a nice $500 ticket for his open-burning trouble..lol
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

Well, I broke off another seed order! If some of these grow, I better be shopping takers from other states..lol I now also have Windmill Palm,
Joshua Tree, Italian Cypress, Venus Flytrap, White Hot Habaneros and Japanese Black Pine. My brother and his wife in Dallas don't know it yet, but they have some additions to the yard coming!
I might try to learn Bonsai and Japanese Black Pine is supposed to be good for Bonsai too. A couple of them are kinda like novelties, the Venus Flytrap and the White Hot Habanero.
How neat would it be to have a potted Venus Flytrap and the White Hot Habanero is supposed to be VERY hot (410,000 Scoville Units), 13 times hotter than the Tabasco Pepper!
My brother-in-law will get a kick out of those! The others are all zone 7ish plants, it shouldn't be too bad finding homes for them hopefully. I'll send some to an Aunt and Uncle in Arkansas. I got them all here - http://www.seedrack.com/01.html Seedrack doesn't really have good reviews in The Garden Watchdog but they are doing okay for me so far.

I was weeding my raised bed today and I was pleasantly surprised at how the walking onions have multiplied. They had "walked" out of the raised bed, I dug them up and put them back in with the others! I took a photo of them outside the bed, it's funny looking! Does anybody want any Walking Onions? They are cold hardy and they grow and multiply easy!
Where is everybody?! I'm talking to myself here! There is an echo in here! If there is anybody out there clap twice, then post!
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

The flytraps can be finicky. I had one for a little while and killed it. lol

The habanero is hot anyways. lol. I have an uncle who would probably love to try it. He also lives in Texas. He loves hot stuff!!

I can swat flies for the flytrap maybe that'll help it a little!
I am skeptical of over half of the entries in Garden Watchdog on seedrack. Many of them came to DG specifically to make the review it seems, they're sign-up dates are the same in many cases as they're review of Seedrack. Its almost as if they came here to defame them.
Oh well! It's funny, one reviewer even says the White Habaneros are small!
Great, I'll mail you some for him to try first, Pepper!

This message was edited Mar 19, 2011 9:51 PM

I just realized I was posting over in Feburary's thread!! LOL. Here's my post transfered.

Crocuses up here but not blooming. Unless they are alliums. lol. I need to check PlantFiles on them. I also have tulips and daffs doing good. A few more weeks and tulips should be blooming if not sooner.

I also finally got another blueberry bush as a pollinator to the one I've had a couple years. Hope I get blueberries this year. It's the smaller size I was looking for, 4x4. Funny part was it's Walmart that had it. lol. Lowes and Home Depot all had bigger ones. Got it cheap too for 10 bucks for a gallon size I think it is

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Hello from up north.

The early crocus are blooming here, along with some of the first narcissus. The greenhouse a couple of blocks away have bigger narcissus
blooming on the east side but they are always early there. Saw my first herbaceous peony shoot, and the tree peony and the clematis are all starting new growth.

I had to replace the pump on my little pond, and while doing that broke the supply tube to the waterfall - it just snapped off. Drained the pond to work on that, pulled out the waterlilies and have them soaking in tubs (already showing sprouts) while I work on the pond. Since I don't want to dig out all the buried tubing I am going to snake a tube through what's left of the old.

Planted peas, spinach and lettuce this weekend. Garlic is all up now and throwing compost onto the vegetable beds for tilling in. Onions, parsley, broccoli, cauliflower, kohlrabi all outside while its nice. Peppers and tomatoes inside under lights.

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

Cyb, you are a busy person...rofl.

All my plants seem to jump a 1/2 foot with this warm weather.....hate to worry but we still have 5 weeks to go before it is really "safe" around my neck of the woods anyway.

I need to clean the pond...yuck I hate doing that. Course cold and wet are not my favorite combination. I didn't clean my pond last year but figured out if I wrapped my pump in pillow batting, incased the whole thing in netting, then lowered it into the pond I had the cleanest water ever and got rid of the algae. In the beginning I had to replace the batting ALOT until the pond was clean.

Later.

My crocuses are finally blooming here today!! Peony shoots coming up, some bushes putting on green and tulips really shooting up the leaves now. Irises are starting to perk up and daffs are working on it. I have one hollyhock that has popped and I planted some roots I got from Walmart a few weeks ago. Next month I will get Will's seeds planted. As soon as I find them. LOL

Greenhouse at work was supposed to go up this week but has been postponed til next week. The guy who ordered the flowers over ordered so they had to redo the order and it won't come in til next week. I had everything ready to go in my truck too. Guess my hose will stay inside my truck another week now. lol

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

talking snow on MOnday, course it is a little early for them to be predicting but that they will probably get right.....

I heard that about the snow. Even the weather channel said snow. Yuck!!

Adrian, MO

Hey, it's been fun reading through here and seeing what everyone is doing. My hyancinths and daffs are up. I cut a lot of the daffs before we got this rain and light snow. Figured I might as well enjoy them in the house as outside. Hubby has been fighting the flu since Friday; I'm beginning to think it might be food poisoning as he got sick the same day he ate some chicken at work. has not been pleasant. I've sold some plants over the internet and got them mailed out, mostly trees and ornamental grass. It's time consuming pulling and packing by yourself, then the stupid computer will act up always at the wrong time. But I'm grateful for the opportunity and I'm sure as time goes on I will get more efficient with it.
Cyb sounds like you've been busy to have all that in your garden. I've always wanted to have a little pond, but I live in the country and worry about snakes enjoying it more than I would!

I'm the same way! Love ponds but always worry about snakes. lol

Adrian, MO

Has anyone tried the Earthgro Organic potting soil from Walmart? A friend of mine mentioned it to me and said it looked really friable and black. One time I bought some Walmart soil and it had too much clay because it got hard as a rock. If this Earthgro is good stuff it would save me a lot of money. I could use it to make up my own mix.

Not me. Potting soil is just too high for too little. A week ago though, I got 15 bags of Miracle Gro Garden soil for $4.98 each. Then, of course, my truck broke down on the way home and I got cussed because I broke down in somebody's way..lol Oh, Grandpa wants to play Chess everyday! I'm always nice to him, I just say "I can't make it today".
Anyway, that Garden soil works for me on price and quantity. The 80 lb bags go pretty far. Actually, I think they are only 60 lbs., but they're always soaked, even if it hasn't rained lately, they stay soaked and heavy! lol I'm just guessing on the weight, I don't think the bag says, I couldn't find a weight. They go by liters I think. When I loaded them in my truck they used a forklift to help.
Will

New April thread!!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1169226/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.