Practical Matters for Physically Challenged Gardeners #9

Midland City, AL

It is beginning to feel like May in Alabama again. Hot and humid. I've had several request for this recipe so I thought I would post it here for everyone. Working outside when temps creep above 90 is tough. but almost unavoidable in the deep south. Many whose jobs require just that swear this drink keeps them going during the summer. Aside from being especially good for quenching thirst, claims for it include that it keeps heat rashes from developing, keeps insects away (Bugs are said to be repelled by the sweat of those who routinely drink it.)and that it helps keep heat exhaustion at bay. Mama Kay says she first encountered a version of this vinegar-based drink as a child in south Florida. I've tried the different variations of it, but always come back to Grandma Jean's recipe for "Amish Vinegar Sling" because it tastes best. Much better than you would imagine looking at the simple ingredients. I avoid the big, blue and green room as much as possible once the 90+ temps arrive. (I really need to find the thermostat for that room!) I still drink Vinegar Sling just because I like the taste. MK and PJ rarely have soft drinks around because their respective doctors both said sodas exacerbate arthritis and joint problems. That is a fate I would like to avoid as long as possible. With Vinegar Sling I can get my fizz and still be kind to my joints. ~Nadine~

Jean Knaub’s Amish Vinegar Sling
2 quarts cold water
½ cup sugar
¾ cup vinegar (she used pure vinegar she made herself I use white vinegar)
1 ½ teaspoon baking soda
Best served cold

This message was edited May 20, 2011 4:20 PM

(Debra) Garland, TX

Nadine, is it kosher to make without baking soda (have to avoid that stuff). And have you ever made it with cider vinegar? Just wondering if it would work as well, I like cider. :-)

Debra

Midland City, AL

Sure, Grandma Jean just put in the baking soda for the fizz to make we kids happy. The original recipe calls for apple cider vinegar. I thought that was just because apple cider vinegar is the easiest vinegar to come by in PA, but MK tells me there are some extra health benefits to using apple cider vinegar instead. The Japanese have several versions of this drink too. Black vinegar and plum vinegar are the favorites there. ~N~

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Have got to try it. AND I already have all the ingredients.
I especially like the "repels bugs" quality.
I've always heard vinegar cures alot of human ills.
Since i love pickles probably almost get my share.Think I'll open a jar of pickled beets tonight.

SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL(Zone 8b)

I think we are overdue for a new thread. Let's see if I can do this right.
Continued at: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1183144/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.