Plant Propagation part XXIX based on my own experience

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Oh LOL, I think I'm going to fit right in with this thread! Katie pointed me over here. Hi Jeanette!
I've been put to task by our highly fussy Mother Nature, referred to henceforth as "Missy". Freezing temps late in the season topped by a frosting of freezing rain rendering us southerners in a spectacle of ice capades that would have many northerners rolling there eye balls. Silly buffoons stuck on over passes for an entire day, and 800 accidents entertained those of us who listened to the folks on tv to stay home, and yes all regularly scheduled television was pre empted, so we could have 24 hour coverage of clowns driving at speeds like any other day, at least until the rude awakening the invisible ice rendered the vehicles into unpleasant amusement rides.
Everything pretty much got wiped out in the garden, which pretty much looks like a Nebraska corn field in January. I started cleaning up yesterday, since Missy has decided to warm up a good deal. I noticed that the two Meyers lemon trees are going to make it. Those were grown from seeds you sent me Jeanette.

When I thought the worst was behind me I got sick so fast that I was in bed all day last Saturday, went to work Sunday and was so congested I thought one of my lungs was going to detach from coughing. Next couple of days delirioum and coughing left me useless to even get out of bed. Finally felt good enough to see Dr. on tue, which revielded a case of walking pneumonia. Just now getting better, but it's not going easily.
So, there are some of the similar topics in common. And darnit, I'm writing this as I'm waiting for my car door handles (inner and outer) to be fixed, and have been informed $498.00, ouch. Followed by last weeks vet bill of 298.00, good thing we got profit sharing at Continental, oops United or whatever they want to call us these days! Thanks guys, I feel like I just spoke with a whole bunch of great therapists!
Rj

mulege, Mexico

Welcome, Randy. I agree that you will fit in here well.

JB, apology accepted. I knew that you didn't understand what was going on. (I did not wish the bug on you so you'd find out so if you get it it's not my fault.)

I am almost all better and Tony and I are heading for Santa Rosalia where I will hope to deal with the nasty immigration man and then we'll have a grilled chicken lunch on the patio of a restaurant where we have a great view of the Sea of Cortez.

Take care, everyone.

hugs, katie

P.S. I have cherimoyas germinating!!

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

Welcome RJ... Katie when you go to californ i a do you have to wait in line to be checked out? how long does it take to get through?

JB I think I will pass on the PW. I have my hands full at the moment. I just managed to seperate a few seedlings of my mckanns giants columbine. I am hopeing to have about 100 of the little buggers....

I managed to get the most part of my cold frame assembled untill I noticed i had ordered the wrong size clip and the fach that I need some 45 degree elbows to get it just right.

now for picture time here this ones for you jeanette.its the greenhouse top shelf. I can fit about 40 trays on the top self and about 35 on the bottom. The one thing I have to watch out for is my darned cat. he thinks its his little play house a nice place to get in out of the cold. but he really likes it when I turn on the misters.... you would swear his tail was on fire. the second pic is going to be of lucky inspecting the nursery. Its a tough job and someone has to do it.

ok so the first one is of the floor. I wish I knew how to deleate the pic and post a different one
Dave

Thumbnail by Pughbear7
Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

ok lets try this again

Thumbnail by Pughbear7
Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

and here is lucky

Thumbnail by Pughbear7
Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

Oh yea yesterday we tied the record high 79 degrees. today its a bit chillier 66 degrees. Its hard to believe we went from blizzard to almost 80 degrees and no snow in site for over 7 days we have high's mostly in the 60's... Well I sure am going to take advantage of it.
its lunch time and then time to rest
Dave

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

Wacky weather, I am waiting for a big rain storm. Sharon are you?
Wow Katie, you did the right thing, but who ever said the right thing was easy. I got disinherited from my mom and (dad) that legally adopted me, for answering a letter from my biological father. It's been many years now, they live near and I accidentally ran into them once in 1999 or 2000.

Sounds like all this sickness is sweeping cyberly through our key board. A real Virus. Mercy. I went to work and they sent me home, I just got back from the dog only for them to sat, it is probably a virus. I have puss on my throat so I thought I better go check it out.

mulege, Mexico

I am home again from my yearly visit to the immigration man. Tony went with me and I made lots of copies of everything I could think of so mr. immigration wasn't able to do much except send me to get four little colored pictures taken for $200. Fees of a little over $120.00 and mordita of $15 to mr. immigration and we were on our way. The errands were broken up by our grilled chicken lunch which was delicious - and we were both hungry so it was a nice break. I have to stop at the immigration office next Friday to pick up my renewed papers but I don't think there will be any problem. It's kind of funny - the "official" fees of $120 have to be paid at the bank and certified by them - because the government knows better than to trust the people who work for immigration. I wouldn't mind the $15 cash to the immigration man, but he's so unpleasant. If someone gives you a bribe, couldsn't you at least say thank you.

Dave, I have to wait in line at the border going into Ca. and always get stopped by a border person and questioned, sometimes sent for secondary inspection. I had a plant confiscated once but no other hassles. I pretty much know what not to bring in. Going back varies - they have "nothing to declare" lines but I usually get pulled over because I have a van and they want to know what I have in it. Again, rarely any problems - especially as I usually have bags of toys, books, etc for kids. I remember one Mexican border person who pointed to a random bag and asked me to open it. It was kid's videos and he promptly sent me on my way. They are mostly concerned about a bunch of new computers or TV's or tools I think. When I've hit some post-holiday sales, or bakery bargains, I'll often give them a box or bag of goodies - after they have told me I'm good to go.

Found soome huge tangerines at a market there. Almost seedless. I got a few seeds which I will try to grow out. Tangerines are very popular here and tend to do

I'm glad to be home again.

hugs, katiewell. If I can get several varities going I can probably lengthen the season. My two trees are done for this season

Lebanon, OR

Evelyn where is Grizzly Flats? Central or Northern CA

D

Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

Quote from WormsLovSharon :
PITA, I am so glad you got some snow to help make your mud.

Were you calling my name??

Fine - We are still without power so I will be brief. Many large branches have been downed off oak trees and the snow has been melting all morning though the second storm is here and delivering more....TA, TA!! Quite frankly I would not have hired that "tree guy". He did not cut enough, though only what my husband requested.

Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

Quote from irisloverdee :
Evelyn where is Grizzly Flats? Central or Northern CA

D

Dee ~ In Northern CA in the Sierra foothills. We live at 3500' in elevation 20 miles from the nearest town.

Sorry battery is almost gone now....

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks guys. You got the green house thing going pretty good Dave. I had a similiar disarrangment the last couple of weeks. The green house was button up, but things were tumbled from the top shelves. Things fall, so let it pass, then happened again last week. When I was moving stuff out of the green house last night found the culprit, a rat. He was living well in the heated larder!

I had to rest in the shade several times, I think it got up to 83 while I was removing the dead plants in front. Strange considering it was 19F 2 weeks ago. Not complaining, I'll take the heat and mosquitos over ice and freezing anytime!
Rj

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Good grief rj, haven't talked to you in ages. Remember that plant you sent me? Well, it did not grow. Remember, it was the one you dug up from your pond and I think you said that other things had been laying on top of it or something. I tried.

That was the variegated Monstera Delocia or something for my daughter for Christmas 2 years ago. Well, I did find one for her but it wasn't much of one when I gave it to her but is becoming a real beautiful plant.

Dave, I was almost going to suggest another layer of shelves up even with the top edge of the gh until rj talked about the plants falling off of them. But then he lives in hurricane country. I remember he went thru a couple of real doozies.

Dave, I know that cats have a lot of toes, but this one has like 7 at least on each foot. So there!! LOL

No Eveleyn, Sharon aimed that mud comment at me. Relax.

Katie I thought you said that was a 600 mile trip. You must have been flying!!

Well, all you sickies, I hope you are satisfied, now I have had a sore throat for the last 2 days. Really sore. I sure hope it stops with that.

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Well today was a warm beautiful day. The irrigation guy came by and they will get the rest completed Monday.

The very large pepper Tree is dead or dying by the pool so the tree people are coming to take it down. That will probably cost a fortune because it is over 50 feet tall.

I have a garage full of iris, canna, day lily, and pink and white rain lily bulbs. Also rescued germanium, society garlic and the list could go on and on. I will take a photo tomorrow. Suppose to have over 1 inch of rain tomorrow. We shall see.

I am going to get away from you people before I get sick. Tomorrow I will be back in the garage garden but probably with the door closed. Or I might straighten up the house. I think I will just go with the flow.

mulege, Mexico

The trip to San Diego is 600 miles. The trip to Santa Rosalia, where we went today, is 35 miles and takes about an hour each way (Mexican roads).

And I live on my retirement from being a Child Welfare Worker and Socail Security. Iknew better than to count on getting anything from my parents' estate. Seriously sick family. Glad I'm now part of Tony's. I've kept my niece from the other family and fond memories of one grandparent.

I'm still kind of twitchy from my visit with the immigration man. Glad it only happens once a year and in four more years I'll be permanent and won't have to renew again.

Randy, I loved your description of watching the accidents on the TV. We had one near-hit today when I was headed south, another car was headed north and just as we got real close to each other, a taxi pulled out into the northbound lane. I said one of those JB words real loud as we all miraculously avoided colliding. I'm used to driving defensively here but that was close.

Foound a good book so I'll read a while and then, I hope, sleep.

hugs, katie

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

What is the world is a JB word. PITA....

Evelyn, I saw your photos of the snow on another post. Marvelous, if you are not there. You are just a hop, skip and a jump from Vegas. Your DH could cook and we could just take in the sun and warmth. But not this weekend.

Bring an extra suitcase for the many plants and bulbs.

Katie, living in Mexico on Social Security is a smart thing. I have had three friends, after they retired, they moved to Mexico because it was way cheaper than the States. Why in the world does it take so long to become permanent in Mexico.

But they have to watch what they try to take home or they are charged some kind of tax. You will have to explain that to us.

Just watched Tivo'd Good Wife. Getting better every week. So sneaky.....Like me......PITA says you go girl.

Wrightstown, NJ(Zone 7a)

Good Morning,

This is a very beautiful day in New Jersey. We have sunshine, temp is in the 40s but, the wind is gusting at 60 mph. Hurricane force along the coast. Not fun to be out and about;.

I have been working on my listings on the Market Place and have as many up as I have available. I will be taking orders now.

I am also working on some of the cemetery cones I do. The floral designs I used to do have more or less taken a back seat since I have been selling so many starter plants. The silk flowers are very expensive now and you can not make any money for the type of designs I make. So, I use these for the Veterans Cemetery and my family. There are still people who remember their deceased family members especially on holidays.
Shipping these are also a problem, so I sell mostly here on the farm. I used to have a shop at my other place but I was then available to have a roadside stand that was visible from the house and no one stole anything. LOL I thought you may want to take a look at the two I did for two men at the Veterans Cemetery. They were for valentine but the snow was too deep to put them out so I added pussy willows and other filler to make them just for love and spring., As you can see the one has more white in than the other. The pussy willows are beautiful and the one with the roses and pussy willow is very nice and rich looking.

Thumbnail by JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ(Zone 7a)

Here is the other.

Thumbnail by JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ(Zone 7a)

That does it! The weatherman said the winds are coming from the Northwest. Need I say more?

mulege, Mexico

Very pretty wreaths. Also good pictures in your store.

I was so twitchy after my dealings with mr. immigration that I couldn't sleep. Finished one book. Started another. Fianlly slept from about 5 to 8.

I'm still somewhat congested. I'm running a bath in my outdoor tub and will soak for awhile, then bundle up again. Dishes and laundry are both under control if not finished.

I'm planning to leave on Friday for Ca. so I need to shake off the rest of this flu. Thr trip is beautiful but tiring. At least I'll be able to take my time.

Back to hanging up laundry on my solar dryer.

hugs, kb

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

I get blamed for everything!

Your floral designs are lovely JB. Did you ever talk to the guy from the UK who cooks for the US vets who stayed there? Can't think of his name right now. Think he has his own forum on Cubits so may not be posting on DG any more. He is so interesting to listen to. Think there are a half a dozen US vets he cooks for mostly on holidays etc. but it sounds like he spends a lot of time with them other than that also.

Gotta run, we have a gorgeous, but cold, day going out there. Cold enough so the snow won't melt.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Think we cross posted Katie.

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

I used to have a solar dryer. It was at our old home. I could pull it out and fasten when I wanted to use it. I loved to dry my sheets and towels that way. One day, the next door neighbor came over. He asked if we were having financial problems. If so, he would help. You could not see the line unless you were snooping over the fence and he was always doing that.

JB, those are beautiful. My mother and father's grave is to far away. My neighbor, who's wife died from cancer about 2 years ago, goes to her grave every Sunday. He is still heart broken.

We had some rain, and I took the dogs for their morning walk. 52 degrees with a mild wind. It looks like Phoenix is going to get our rain. But three different systems are suppose to come through so we shall see. I spread by tossing some 3-5-8 on the front landscape and as soon as I get my hair dry, I will toss some around the back landscape. I am getting a late start but that is what old age is about. Work when you want and rest when you want. There is always tomorrow and if tomorrow does not come, oh well.

Poor JB, she keep making the national news because of her weather. This time high winds.

Katie, how do you get to California. If you are driving, please be careful. There are some crazy people out there killing people, I think just for fun.

I will check in later. Have a great day.

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Jnette, according to the "Weather Channel", you guys are going to get it big time next week.

The girl's team from my old high school won last night and they play for the championship at 3:30pm. Because my brother's granddaughter is "A Star", we have to go but it will be fun.

Wrightstown, NJ(Zone 7a)

Oh Dear, I am always in some kind of trouble.

Now you wait until the national news finds out what I have been thinking about. NJ has legalized Marijuana and of course being a certified nursery in NJ I figured I would put in an application to grow it for medicinal purposes only. The applications came out and they want $20,000 to apply and if you are chosen you get $18,000 back.

Needless to say, I am not going to apply. First of all, they want only non profits to apply. Heck, I am certainly one of those. I never make a profit if I can help it. The new governor is against the entire thing and is making is really difficult for those who want to grow it apply. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out. I could use some for my anxiety. LOL.....Dave could use it for his pain....maybe I should get some seed and start sending them to my friends in pain. Wow, wouldn't that be a sure way to loose my certification. Yikes. Think again JB, that is a real No NO. I would never do that but it is fun to think about it. My kids go bonkers when I say I am going to grow it in the GH. They are so funny and threaten to turn me in. I would never do it but I tease them all the time just to hear their comments. I don't think they trust me. I am such a devil.

By the way Katie, those floral designs are "cones" not wreaths. I do not have a store here at this location, I took those pictures in my workshop. You must have misread my post. No problem.

The winds are getting worse. Hard to believe they could but they are. The lights are flickering and the computer is going off and on....not good.....so if we can get through the next few hours, by the time the sun goes down (it did not shine much today either), they should subside. I told you these winds are coming from the Northwest....Jen sent them or someone.

Sharon, don't you love walking the dogs? It was so windy this morning our walk was shortened because I had trouble staying on my feet. I will make up for it tomorrow if it is not too cold and snowing. They are so happy to be out there sniffing and peeing. Mine is starving when we come inside. He and the flock do not shut up until I feed them. The Amazon keeps yelling for me when we are outside walking and when we come in he is on the floor waiting inside the door for us to return. He is so funny. It is so muddy I must wipe off Barney's feet and then he gets back up on his cage and waits patiently until I get it done and get the corn bread out. That is his passion. He gets some each morning.

Need to get to some sewing. Have a good day and enjoy your weekend. JB

Wrightstown, NJ(Zone 7a)

I forgot, where is Lee and Ibartoo? I miss you guys. How are you? Check in and please stay well. Everyone on here is sick or getting sick or whatever.

How are your broken bones, Ibartoo? I think about you sitting on you butt and wait for you to talk to us. Hope you are O.k.

And Lee, my Montana Momma, where are you honey? The snow have you socked in without electric? I hope not. Think Spring. The daffodils are coming up and the black pussy willows are showing. Do you want me to send you some black pussy willows? They might just grow out there. Worth a try.

I must go sew...darn I hate to sew, I can not see to thread the stupid needle and it usually needs threading when I use the sewing machine. Crap. JB

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

JB, we do not dog walk. We dog stop, sniff, pee, look around, bark and then got a foot and start all over again. Madeline, the female is cutting her walk short. She will just turn around and want to go home. That is usually the first sign of medical trouble coming. Before Ginger died, she could not even make it up two houses. She just loved her very long walks. It is always so sad.

I had 8 grain oat meal for breakfast with 8 berry dried fruit. Delicious. I will be very warm all day because of the carb overload.

JB, I will look at Whole foods and see what kind of split peas they have. Maybe I can send some with your plants. What plants. A surprise I guess. Now I am really gone. Sharon.

Wrightstown, NJ(Zone 7a)

Sharon, if you send me split peas be sure they are the kind you do not soak. They must be fresh ...........how do you get fresh dried peas? Every pack of dried peas I have seen says you should soak them if you do not want to cook them for hours. I want the kind Katie says you should get.

You must be on a health kick girl, oatmeal and dried fruit. I had cheerios and banana and blueberries(frozen) and have you seen those Thomas Thin Bagels? They are so cute and only 110 calories. Not as much fun as stuffing your gut with the fat bagels but much better for you.

I worry about Barney, but he is still up front and running and at 14 I am delighted. He still has not pooped today. Oh God. Now I have something else to worry about.

If must go sew. I must go sew. The birdie hut is full of poop and needs to be changed. I must go sew.

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

What are you sewing. And I will look at the split peas. Can dried peas be "Fresh".

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Sounds like instant grits or instant oatmeal. I cannot stand either.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

JB, how long does it take for your plants to appear on Marketplace? I went looking and they aren't there.

You were right the first time. I sent all that wind. Yes Sharon, I heard. My sister keeps me posted too. But, you see, I don't worry about it 'cause I can't stop it any way. I hardly ever look at the forecast because I cannot do anything about it. I try to tell my sister that.

The only time I do is when I am waiting for plants in the mail. LIke next Tuesday?? I think that will just miss what you are talking about.

Years ago JB I had a plant about 4 or 5 feet tall in my office at work. It was a False Ariella. Do you know what that is? Well, my boss who was the Chief Inspector, (U.S. Customs) came in to look at it. He told me it looked too much like MJ and I should get rid of it. I told him no, it wasn't that and I liked it and I was going to keep it.

He didn't appreciate it. But, I did keep it.

mulege, Mexico

Here's your cooking lesson for today: dried items like beans, peas, etc deteriorate with age. This is why such items are rotated in grocery stores, just like fresh food. For peas soup you want to get "fresh" dried peas and ignore their instructions. I learned about dropping them into boiling water from Adele Davis. She explained why it works. I don't remember the explanation but I do know that it works.

JB, I meant the pictures of your plants in the marketplace. I think all the mucus is drowning my brain.

My bath should be almost ready.
kb

Wrightstown, NJ(Zone 7a)

Yes, Jen i know those plants. They do look like MJ. Mine was taller than me and was also taken for that. My one friend was the Capt of the Vice Squad and he used to come to our house for a quick drink frequently. He always threatened that one day someone was going to break in and steal that plant and smoke it. We always laughed about how much it looked like it. In fact, I named it George. It just would not die. It was way over 5 ft. tall. When I moved I left it there. Wonder who smoked it????

The JBsBirdsandMore is what the plants are listed under I think. Plant Scout has me for sure. Look up JBsBirdsandMore and see what it says. The items with amounts and prices are those ready to be shipped in two or three weeks.

Wrightstown, NJ(Zone 7a)

Sharon, I know you are knowledgeable about Camellias. I saw you post on the other forum about rooting them. Could you please tell me how you cut and root them? I have two lovely plants and they both bloom, I would love to try and propagate them. I have a file somewhere with lots of info in it but I can not find it. Go figure. Anyhow, I would be curious to know how you do it. Thanks. JB

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

JB, is that camellia you are talking about the pink one you posted a picture of? Will it survive in zone 5? If so, would you start me one? Please?

So, you are saying you have your plants listed in Marketplace? I will look again. Under tropicals or regular plants?

mulege, Mexico

Go to JB's member page. There is a link there to her plants in the Marketplace.

kb

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Thanks Katie, that helped. However, I don't understand why I can't find them by going to Marketplace. How do they even sell? Only to past customers.

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

howdy:
for marketplace you click the marketplace tab. then go in they have a tab for sellers to go to the sellers area. they have a 1st timers tab to click on to help you list. I usually get instant photo and ad listing. they charge the seller based on what sells. I really like it because it allows you to list a lot of stuff and have a lot of items with a zero items available where you can change the quantities and boom the ads listed. its one of the easier sites to sell on and it works quite well.

I got out ant did some trimming today ...my DL's & daff's are like 6" tall and scabousa has 2 new blooms.it looks like we are going to get another week of this at least...lows in the upper 50's highs 60's and 70's. I am worried about my hostas being ok because everything is below ground and not much signs of life. all my mums including the ones in contaimers maid it through the cold spells.

Dawn i need and address to send seeds to...please dmail me info.. i know I am adding my fringed pinks on there tonight. I have them in 2" plugs or 6" pots. check it out later. I will be doing it right after this post.
Dave

mulege, Mexico

Good news. I saw neighbor Dana today and little Amiga is doing well. Dana told me I can stop cooking for her (Amiga, that is). I think she's afraid that Amiga will want to be with me cause she likes my food better. She would not be the first dog with whom this has happened. I will take my copy of "Food Pets Die For" over to loan Dana tomorrow.

I have two little arhat plants from a packet of seeds from Horizon Herbs. I'm usually lucky to get one plant out of a packet from them. On this they say they got 94%germination. If my two make it, I'll be happy. Some of my goldenberries are putting out their second set of leaves.

I have a couple dozen seeds from a really big tangerine I got in Santa Rosalia yesterday. My brugs all seem pretty happy with their new homes. The pomegranite that I put on the side of the arroyo a couple of weeks ago seems very happy. It's putting out lots of new growth which is a beautiful bronzy-green color. Have any of you seen some of the pomegranites that are now being grown for their flowers? There was a presentation on them by a man from UCDavis at the rare fruit growers conference in Ca last summer. They are amazing. If you live in Ca. you can get free cuttings of them and lots of other plants from UCDavis.

I have a timber bamboo plant. We need to find a good spot for it where it can run to its heart's content. I told Tony that if we can get it established his grandchildren will be able to build houses from the wood. Something fun to think about.

hugs, katie

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Well Dave, that's pretty nice for sellers on MP, but, how are buyers suppose to see what is posted?

Are you trying to rush spring?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.