OMOSHIRO continues

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Thanks, Kathy. It's certainly a beautiful flower.

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Hey pirl, my Duchess of Albany has almost doubled in size since last Monday and has buds. It's almost 5ft. tall

Thumbnail by Cem9165
Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Here are the buds up close.

Thumbnail by Cem9165
Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Fireworks is also starting to grow and hopefully it will do well this year, thanks to the advise of this clematis forum. It was top dressed, fertilized and it got its Epsom salt. You guys are making me a better gardener. Annette

Thumbnail by Cem9165

Cem - you're making me jealous! Mine won't look like that for months.

We have a brand new cover of snow. It's melting but still a tad depressing.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I'll say.My deck pots are ready for plants in May ,they look rediculous.

Thumbnail by ge1836

You grow such nice, neat, tidy snow!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Its such an unbelievable downer.

I agree.

Athens, PA

That is how we look as well. It is very depressing. Tonight it is supposed to get down to 8 degrees. They said on the weather this morning, that our weather was typical of early February.

My husband has told me that I tend to be crabbier in the winter...... I guess I am not surprised by that :(

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

We will have a night in the teens also.
I had hoped for some riseing of the temps to keep the melting process going.

It's 43.5 here now, very sunny (hurts my eyes) and the snow is gone and not a minute too soon. Our low is due to be 25. We all want spring, and by the calendar it is spring but not the way we want it.

Hubby should meet the rest of us, Carolyn. He'd get to meet crabby, crabbier and crabbiest!

Naugatuck, CT(Zone 5a)

LOL, I be crabbiest

Louisville, KY

What's that old song "wait til the sunshines Nelly"? The weather has turned cold and gray here with the same promised for a week. We have light snow predicted for Saturday..can you believe it ; it was in the high 70s yesterday and....all my clems have buds.

You're allowed to say bad words if you do it in the shower when no one else is listening.

Naugatuck, CT(Zone 5a)

Only in the shower?

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Ok, I'm going to curse like my 15 yo. In his words, " Son of a hamster" which must be said with emphasis!!!! It's going into the 30's tonight ;o(, and when it did this last week, we had frost on the ground. I'm not happy, with all the plants that have buds, I hope they don't get killed. Ladies, I wish you all a MIGHTY DEFROSTand a speedy Spring. Annette

Give it a whirl anywhere, Dem! It helps relieve the angst like Annette is feeling now. The plants probably won't be hurt and if there is any damage they'll resume growth anyhow. There is absolutely nothing any of us can do about it.

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

So true pirl, SIGH!!!!!

Non-gardeners haven't a clue as to how we feel when the weather turns bad. They can have a "so what" attitude but we do get concerned about our plants.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

FA long term forcast for our area said Spring will be cooler than normal this year.

Williamstown, NJ(Zone 6b)

Oh bummers ge1836, that sure puts a damper on us all. I hope it did not say rainy too. We had enough of that a couple of years ago.

Athens, PA

Arlene- that is part of the frustration

JoAnne - UGH! did they say anything about summer?

I would love to see green instead of white....

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

No only the 2 months at a time.I expect there will be another forecast in May.
Many people dont subscribe to the Famers Almanac predictions but sometimes its reassuring to see whats comming.

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

We had 78 degree days last 2 weeks. Now we're at the 34 zone with rain/sleet/maybe snow coming today.

Should I cover my newly planted Clematis? I did get my order from Brushwood. They were smaller in size than SSV but the shipping was far cheaper. Not sure how that weights out but as long as they thrive it's okay. I cut the bloom off or Omoshiro but did see the beautfiul colors.

Kathy

You can always use a nursery pot to cover the clematis and put a brick on top to keep it covered. It's up to you. We had snow on Thursday (early morning hours) and I didn't have any of them covered nor would I. Somehow they do survive and snow has air mixed in with it so it is an odd form of a cold blanket but still insulating.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

March isnt going out like a lamb

Louisville, KY

My clems have buds on them and......we are expecting a week of lows in the low thirties.

My lilies vary in height from just emerging to 6 inches tall.....and I have japanese iris 10 in plus.....the drama continues ... the question continues MOTHER NATURE is she a kind mother are a cruel mistress????

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I'm betting on the plants.They never fail to amaze me.

Louisville, KY

yep I am frequently surprised .

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

I was concerned about Omoshiro since I just planted it - from Brushwood's GA climate. It looked fine yesteray after 30 degrees.

Clematises are very good at adapting.

Then do you think it would be ok to plant mine in a few weeks? I am 6b.

Yes. Mine will arrive next week and I will plant them if the weather cooperates. I will add a lot of compost to act as mulch.

Ok Pirl, Clems will be going in the ground .Thanks

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

My cousin is comming in May and will help me plant clems.

Marie, Jo Ann, Carolyn and everyone else - I posted Jeanne's advice on feeding clematis over here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1163256/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.