OMOSHIRO continues

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

You and I would love their spring weather, Marie! Jo Ann would be so thrilled she'd be rolling in the grass!

Portland, OR(Zone 8b)

I'm not loving the weather right now. It has been raining for months (at least it seems that way). The webbing on my feet is getting rusty! We are supposed to have some dry days this weekend. I'm hoping to plant Omoshiro on Saturday.
The PNW has a nice long growing season and we do have beautiful weather but it rains a lot from November through June and about April some of us get a little twtchy with the need to get outside and dig in the dirt.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Doesnt matter what we endure thru the winter.
Northeast has its brutal snow stormes.
April really puts a kick in my behind.
I dont have to pear as hard at branches to see if my clems are alive.
In one day my mood changes and I dont care what it does after that I feel spring in my bones.

mstish - love your rusty webbing! We, in the northeast, have cabin fever but this is a gorgeous St. Patrick's Day. It's 54 degrees and I'll go out now and search the Wearin' of the Green on my clematises.

Jo Ann - score another one for us! We made it through a really long and miserable winter.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I have been churning since daylight. Took time out for groceries and came back and couldnt sit still. I was totally beat by 11:00 .I turned the heat off in the house and went to the deck for a gaze and sit. The big cat came out on the deck, first for this year.
I hope all 3 begin to use the great outdoors for you knowhat.
Venus poppies direct sowed in December are showing teeeeny greeeeny. I cant believe that variety. I hope the black ones germinate in the same area. Its way too soon to really tell.
I'd like 4 leaves before I am sure they didnt make it.
Cyclamine ,the first.

Thumbnail by ge1836
Williamstown, NJ(Zone 6b)

I know I got spring fever. I have bought a new garden book. It is called Perennial Combination's. It has some great idea's. I just have a hard time finding some of these plants at a garden center. I looked last year for some that another site said to put together.So I had to make do with what I could find and that I thought would work. NOT!...lol

Marie - you can always search on DG for "color harmony" and see if you find what you want. Here's an example:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1036859/?hl=color+harmony

Or you can start a thread and ask what we'd all use in place of what you can't find at your nurseries.

Thanks, Gosh I wish they could come to my house...lol.
I will do that this year. I want to make a complete layout of my one large bed and see what I have and what I can combine with it to make the colors pop out more.

Louisville, KY

Wow with GE here. Today has been a great day. It was in the 70's here today. I got my clems from Donahue and potted them up and put them next to the lights for a day, fertilized the japanese iris, sat at my old picnic table and transplanted a hundred or so seedlings. So much fun for us old grandads too.

Portland, OR(Zone 8b)

Here she is. Note her little bud in the front.

Thumbnail by mstish
Portland, OR(Zone 8b)

Another shot.
ooooh, I do love new babies.

Thumbnail by mstish

John - sounds like you had a terrific day outside. That's always good to hear.

Well, look at that bud, mstish! It could end up being your most photographed baby of all, as far as plants go.

Mine is blooming too. It looks just like its picture, very pretty.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Marie-kap:
We all use our cameras. I was in the same spot that you are in 2007. DG'ers helped and I caught on to the color combos and am loving spending the winter creating garden plans.
Its a never ending process.
I had plants that were here as well as no plan when I began the border garden next to my deck.
Some of those choices made for combo problems but I just decided those areas would be "all flowers are beautiful,no matter what"
Hope you dont get discouraged.

Oh I am never discouraged, I just move it if I don't like how it is growing or it is not doing well in that area. I think I make the mistake of wanting a certain plant or plants, that I put them with the wrong plants that I have. Meaning that they like different amounts of water and light. Or I want it in a certain area of my garden and I forget that area gets a lot of water, or it gets mostly filtered shade, or it gets dry fast. So now I have to stop and think and research about those areas and see what will do better there and with what.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

been there

Many of us do that on a fairly regular basis, Marie!

If we never had to move plants what would we do with all that spare time?

Thumbnail by pirl
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

mstish, would you mind posting the picture of the clem you received on this thread too? Thanks.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1165477/

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

I dug up roses that I planted 4 years ago and relocated them to make room for Blaze Improved and Lemon Meringue. The roots were HUGE but it didn't stop me. If I don't like the location, it gets moved.

Kathy

Naugatuck, CT(Zone 5a)

Kathy, like that!

Too often we have no choice but to move something and it's more important to have the plants we want exactly where we want them growing.

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Pirl, that's right. Last year I had a huge Negritjanka clematis that was so stunning but just was not in the right place. It had reached the top of my trellis - about 8 feet and full. I called Debbie at SSV and she said it would take it back a bit but I did it anyway. Last year it was about 3 feet tall but I'm hoping it will cover the arbor this year.

I had not seen Warsaw Nike for 2 years so I went out this morning determined to see what was there. Sure enough, there it was. Smaller than when I got it but still had the crown. So I dug it up, put it in a bed in the back yard and made it a new home. It will or it won't live but it was a no show for 2 years. Those clematis can be strange little plants.

I put in my LAST (grin) order for Ice Blue, Romantika to go where Warsaw Nike was and one I had not seen - Morning Mist!!!!! Stunning. Very nice and seems like a version of Omoshiro but a type 3.

K

It's clear I'll have to take a little peek at Morning Mist. Where did you see it, Kathy?

I moved an aster a few times until it was happy but it grew so vigorously I ended up putting it on a huge mound of sod we removed eons ago to create the vegetable garden so now the aster is happy and it's in a spot where it can't go wild.

Sometimes we're forced to move it with the "...It will live or won't" idea in mind. My 'Etoile Rose' clem hasn't budded up yet but I'll try to remain patient.

At least clem's don't require a backhoe to move them as many grasses do.

Thumbnail by pirl
Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Did a garden inspection today and found a few of my clematis have buds. Here's Crystal Fountain.

Thumbnail by Cem9165
Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Here's Josephine.

Thumbnail by Cem9165
Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Clematis m. Maylene was whacked back to 18in. tall. It was either that, or she was about to move into the house and displace us. LOL:o))))))

Thumbnail by Cem9165

Here is my Omoshiro in bloom. She goes out side on good days and then come inside for the night. I know this will probably be my only one this year so I am enjoying it to the fullest.

Thumbnail by marie_kap

Cem - spectacular. Mine are barely showing buds except for the five or six Texensis, which have nice fat buds at ground level.

Funny but true about Maylene and other montanas.

Thumbnail by pirl

Great, Marie. Omoshiro may surprise you with more blooms once it gets compost/manure/water and sunshine.

Please post your photo here as well - thanks:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1165964/

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Pirl here's a picture of my Duchess of Albany from 3/14, but no buds noted today, although there's been more growth since I took the picture last Monday. It was one of my later blooming clematis last year, and was planted last Spring. marie_kap nice picture of Omoshiro, I can't wait to get my order from Brushwood. Thanks to pirl and her wonderful pictures, it became a must have to add to the garden this year. Of course, I couldn't stop and just one. My order should be arriving in the next 2 weeks.

Thumbnail by Cem9165
Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

I have pulled down 1000 miles in three days, went to see my grandkids in the Outer Banks of NC. I was hoping that I will find my clematis on my front porch, but it did not come yet. My trellis is not ready yet, it will be in few weeks. Everybody is happy about they clematis, I hope I do well with them. How tall should the trellis be, my will be 6 feet tall. My climbing hydrengia is doing good, I hope to work on destroing the grasshoppers that eat them all the time. They are 2-3 inches long, and eat at night. I heard of the home remedy to mix onion, garlic and hot sauce in spray bottle but will see. Pirl, I had the Asters last year , these grasshoppers loved them, eat them to the ground, so I pulled them up. It is nice to be back home, I am getting old for these long trips.

My second order should be in about 2 weeks too. I did good on the first order with the Omoshiro, but then I just had to go back and look... they had me hooked.lol

Cem - my Duchess doesn't bloom until summer and the lovely little buds must be like M & M's for the deer - they eat all but the ones deeply embedded in the huge Hydrangea Tardiva, where they grow. I layered that one last year and those are emerging from the earth as well. Thanks for the sweet words - I just took the photos. The credit for the beauty goes to those who hybridized it.

Kiseta - That's a lot of miles in a few days, Etelka! Glad you got to see the family and you know the plants will be there soon. Those grasshoppers sound so nasty!

Marie - two Omoshiro? Me, too! Or was it "just" two orders? I find it humorous that we're all loving the clematis family so much.

Almost ordered one from another site but just one, with 3 day shipping, hit $65. so I declined. Hard to believe I retained any sanity over the long winter the northeast had.

One Omoshiro and another order. But that does not include the order I placed with another site for other things. I think I am up to about $200.00 in orders so far.

It's all better spent on plants than prescriptions.

Nasty day here today and hard to concentrate on flowers.

Rain and chilly here. Maybe tomorrow I will beable to get outside and do a little work.

Athens, PA

It is miserable here today too. We are supposed to have snowshowers on Wed. and Thursday......

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Just transplanted another Agastache. Thats it for the area. Bluestone order will come in May.

Maybe a visit to Bluestone is the fix I need for today's blahs.

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Pirl, the Morning Mist is at SSV.

Thumbnail by shihtzumom

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.