Better than ever!

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I forgot to say that I am going to order tomato, pepper, cuke and squash seeds later today or tomorrow. I thought I'd see if anyone wants to tack on to the order? Some of them, I only want about 3 dozen of. If anyone wants to know what I'm ordering or wants to split (or trade ones I don't need many of), let me know ASAP.

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

Chele, thanks for the offer to order seeds. However, I got carried away and ordered about 10 new varieties of tomatoes from Totally tomatoes, and have had them about 2 months! Those catalogs are dangerous to me when I get them out of the box, I know what my entertainment is going to be for that night.

Sure hope you are not coming down with something. If you have an ziacam, use that before going to bed, and maybe it will help ward off a cold. I swear by it.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Haha Bonnie. I think you might have a seed addiction or a tomato addiction or a tomato seed addiction. :P

I love all the different ones! If my ground was better or I could put in more, raised beds further apart, I'd get back to my old ways of growing 60 different tomatoes and 30+ peppers if for not other reason, saving the seeds!

Woke up at 5am to Nolan puking. No sooner than we dozed off the storm picked up then the storm sirens started blasting. Then several other kids stormed my room then the electric went out. Only two kids went to school today. I still feel icky.

Oh, Chele, so sorry to hear that the ickies have struck your place. Seems that there is a nasty virus going around here too.

We had a storm this morning about 4:30, Mr. B woke me up, as he is very scared of storms. We did have a tornado touch down in the county, destroying 3 homes and many more damaged. It is in an area where my niece lives, I have tried to call every body who would know to see if they are all right, can't find anybody at home to find out. I did try to go to their house while I was out doing errands, but they had the road blocked, and you had to prove residence to get through. I pleaded my case, but didn't get very far with that.

Waddy, KY

Hopefully you'll hear something soon Bonnie. What part of Henry did it hit? Most of the folks I know are around Smithfield and around Lake Jericho road area.

It missed us. We got some wind and rain but nothing major. Oldest DD called us around 4:30 saying there was a tornado warning in Louisville and they didn't know which way it was going so we went to the farm to at least be near a basement. It was close to getting up time so they went ahead and checked cows and fed calves before it really started to rain.

Chele, hope all of your brood doesn't get sick.

Thankfully I stick with just 2 varieties of tomatoes. They've done well by me for the last 30 years so I guess I'll stick with them. I've got 3 flats started so far. I'll try to get some more going tonight. Got to get the peppers going too.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Bonnie, I'll be praying that you hear good news soon. I know it is bad for someone anyway but I sure hope your niece was spared. :( I can't believe they wouldn't even check the name or address for you!

Janet, what two varieties of tomatoes do you do? Apparently there was a wide spread crop failure of Celebrity or they are very late in getting them stocked. There are packets available but no large quantities! Do you use the tomatoes or sell them as plants or fruits?

I never know which way to go with peppers! I had one guy snag up every banana pepper I had a couple of years ago. We really only eat the green peppers and jalapenos.

Anybody got a favorite cucumber? I am looking at Diva. We eat cukes fresh and in salads. Never quite make it to pickling...

Waddy, KY

I've raised Whopper and Beefy Boy from Parks. How many Celebrity do you need. Park's wholesale catalog is listing 250 seeds for $10.75 or 500 for $19.35. They have up to 5000 seeds. Now whether they're in stock or not I don't know.

Habenero, pablano and jalepeno plus green sells pretty well down here. I want to raise enough green and Jalepeno so that I don't have to buy any this year to make salsa.

Don't know about cucumbers. I've heard that burpless cucumbers don't get bitter as fast as the others. Usually cucumber beetles have a field day with mine anyway....

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Thanks Janet.

I remember growing Whopper (Park's Whopper?) years ago. I really can't remember much about it. I looked at Celebrity at Territorial, Johnny's, Totally Tomatoes and Tomato Growers. They are all out of them. I had one in my car then it popped up and said on back order until 4/7. Grrrr.

Diva sounds pretty good! http://www.johnnyseeds.com/p-5540-diva.aspx

What do you do with the Poblanos? I grew those years ago to and can't remember. LOL Once upon a time, way back when, I collected and grew tons of them just to compare them. I'm sure there is a notebook somewhere with a ton of info.

Southwestern, OH(Zone 6b)

Chele, we got a submersible pump to use our well water with... works pretty well just hook up the hose, drop it in, and plug it in.

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-hp-3000-gph-dirty-water-submersible-pump-with-float-93819.html

Well, I finally did get news from my niece about 3 this afternoon. The house 3 down from them was totally destroyed, and they had some damage to barn roofs, and some trees down, but they are fine.

Janet, this was just outside of Eminence on Mulberry Pike, out where Hussey Copper, and some other factories are. Just a swath cut through there about 300 yards wide. There was also trees down, power lines down, and tin roofs blown off barns in the Bethlehem area. We just got rain, and thunder and lightening. I was afraid that I would find our front yard on the porch this morning, as DH tilled it up and sowed grass sometime last week. It doesn't look too good, but at least, we didn't have it all on the front porch. I may be the only person ever to have a grass over concrete front porch.

Last year DH bought Celebrity plants, although I had several heirlooms started. They did well, but he ended up with all of them having a blight.

I haven't started any seed yet, as when DH was tilling the front yard with the tractor tiller, he cut the buried electric line to my garden building, so I have no way to have any heat or to put up the lights. May just have to run a large extension cord out there, until he gets it fixed. That is what I am worried about, how long it will take him to get around to getting it fixed for me.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Melissa, We had one like that and we used it until we killed it. LOL We picked up a similar one last year when the crawl space flooded. The hand pump well has a cast iron pipe and I know a pump won't fit down that one. I think it's maybe 4-5" across. I think the farmer down the road said we need a new plunger? The big well is all the way out by the road where we dug one of your daylilies when you were here, not the row beds, the big island out by the road. I'd need a lot of hose. :)

Bonnie, it's great to hear about your niece! I'm sorry about the damage but glad it wasn't worse. I feel so bad for her neighbors.

I placed 2 of my seed orders and didn't get Celebrity. I also forgot to get a few Giant Belgium and Pineapple. I don't know if I'll bother. I also want to try Italian Red Pear and Black Cherry and I forgot to order Roma or similar paste tomato. Grrr. I had an elderly lady ask about a certain paste tomato a few years ago and can't remember what it was!

You're having a little run of bad luck here Bonnie. We gotta get you fixed up and get things in order. You need to play outside!

Oh, we just take it in stride. If I can get the MRI Wednesday, and find out the results, I can deal with whatever, it is the just not knowing.

I will start my seeds, even if I have to use the top of my deep freezer in the utility room. I will just tell DH that we can't have any clean clothes, (the washer and dryer may be used also) nor have anything that may reside in that freezer. That may get him moving on getting the electric restored to my shed!

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I'll be thinking about you on Wednesday. How much longer do you think it will take to get the results?

LOL on your threats. Maybe you should leave this page open so hubby can see it. Scare the beans out of him.

Good idea Chele. Maybe scare him into getting his rear in gear and getting the electric repaired.

I would think that I would have the results by the end of the week. My Dr is very good about calling with results just as soon as he gets them.

I am off to bed, as my eye lids are getting very heavy. Rest well.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

You could always threaten to cut something of his. LOL

Get some rest. We'll all worry for you. :) We'll pray for you too.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

I grew a Celebrity plant last year, as I have for several years. It's been reliable in the past, but I don't recall eating that as much as usual last year. Maybe it had problems, but flavorwise, it just can't compare with the heirlooms. Black cherry was good- last year was the first time I tried it.
Pat

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I guess I don't feel so bad then. LOL

I usually try to offer a yellow for people that can't tolerate the acid but this year I went with an orange. I'd just as soon eat Pineapple when I want a yellow. It has a nice sweet flavor.

I vote for the pineapple. Seems for me, it is the best all around tomato for flavor.

DH had errands this morning, so no electric work will be done today.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Leave him a post it note. LOL

My little Mantis tiller arrived today. :) I've wanted one FOREVER! I bought the little cruddy Bolens one TWICE. cuss cuss cuss Mantis has a deal where you can break it into four payments, no interest. I bought the 4 cycle and won't have to do any mixing. This might make up for all the birthday and Christmas presents I've done without. Maybe. I do know it will make weeding much ore pleasant.

Off to the local hardware store. I need a tape measure. I have the first run of lumber down for the greenhouse base. Greenhouse is 24'10" long. My tape measure is 25'. It's a little hard to check to see if my base is square like that...

Seymour, IN(Zone 5b)

I'm so glad you are getting it back up and going. It looks to me like it will be BIG . Will you be growing annuals for sale also? I hope so!

I went out this morning to clean up the yard from all the broken sticks and limbs from the storm the other night. The wind is still COLD. I want to go out to play (in the dirt) but will have to wait for warmer temps. Take pics and post when you have the GH full and growing. Lou

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I'm so glad I didn't sell the greenhouses. The farm that bought my plants was interested but Melissa kept telling me to keep them and that no matter where I lived, I could always grow and sell plants. They've really raised the price on the greenhouses since I bought mine. I'm also glad I did not listen to a handful of people that were telling me to sell everything! I parted with a lot of things but kept the pool and greenhouses. On Craig's current wage, we'd never have been able to replace appliances and the like or those two luxury items...

It's actually pleasant here. It was a little cool when I was working in the shade but it sure feels good now! I have on sweats and a tshirt and sweatshirt and I was actually sweating! Our high is supposed to be 48 today. It's still pretty wet here. I just ran to town, mud and all. LOL Not to mention my hair looks like a tormented birds nest...

I'm going to have all sorts of stuff this year. :) I'll definitely take photos. Hugs Lou!!

Bloomingdale, OH(Zone 6a)

I'm wondering what a tormented bird's nest looks like, and why you know?

This message was edited Mar 1, 2011 1:19 PM

(Di) Seven Mile, OH(Zone 6b)

Unfortunately, Gayle, I know what a tormented bird's nest looks like - my hair looks like that right now too. lol

I worked outside in the backyard a little while ago and I thought it was nice also...a little on the windy side but the sun feels wonderful. I think I have all the sticks and limbs picked up from the storms this winter. I noticed all the weeds popping up so far - they never cease.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Trust me when I say, no normal bird could possibly, even purposely build anything, that closely resembles the mass of curls and knots in my naturally curly hair right now. LOL I got out of bed, did some research, played with Nolan, put him to sleep and headed out the door. No sense in showering so I can go muck around in the mud.

I got the first two runs of lumber down and squared up and bolted. I have three pieces to cut tomorrow then I can put the third and final run on. After that I can put in the ground cover fabric and then I need to track down my rock guy. I'm going to need a load. Whatever does not fit in the greenhouse base will be well used by the pot holes in my driveway. :( Once the gravel is in, I can start putting the greenhouse back up. Hopefully the darn extension parts arrive on time tomorrow.

I however forgot my 5th grader has a DARE graduation program tonight so I have to hit the shower and hit the road.

Glad you got to get out and play Di. Hope you are doing better. Beating it mentally is half the battle. :)

Well, I was checking threads this morning, and all of a sudden my monitor went black. Yep, it died. So am on my laptop, and cannot find the wireless mouse. I am sure that DGD used it last and heaven only knows where it is. I hate this keyboard and the little pad. Well a trip out tomorrow will find me with a new monitor. DH refuses to use this laptop.

Beautiful day here today. I sort of wandered around outside but it is too wet and soggy to do much else. I discovered some tulips coming up and my daffys.

Chele sounds like it will take you on a couple of days to get the greenhouse up. I sure wish I had one to put up, and had the know how like you to put it up. Me and tools are not acquainted.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Oh no! Sorry to hear about the monitor. It's always something isn't it?!

It was pleasant out. I let Nolan go out for about an hour and a half when he got up from his nap. He's going to be a handful this summer...

I wasn't really allowed to do anything when I was growing up so there is very little I won't tackle now. I've put these Rion's up three times now so I could do it with my eyes closed and I do them without the manuals. chuckle. There are hardly any tools involved in the actual greenhouse. The whole thing is held together with a couple hundred plastic T pins and they send you the tool for that. You have to screw the base down unless you buy the one that is made for it. I have no idea how you attach that. I've always built my own so I get an extra foot of height. They even include the little Allen wrench that you need to connect the support cables. About the only thing I'll need help with, is setting the roof on top. I'm going to build it in sections this time. It's not all that heavy but it's really awkward.

I will say my back and thighs hurt. LOL I've spent way to much time sitting around. All that leveling and squatting and drilling and then the lag bolts. I hope I can move tomorrow. haha

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Well, the whole base for the greenhouse is finished! I finished up the top run today, got it strapped down, made sure it was still square and laid the ground fabric in. My gravel is coming tomorrow morning. I couldn't get anyone over here today. I'm so glad I dragged the wood into the garage and stained it last weekend! My extension parts also showed up today so I'm good to go. Now I just have to beat the rain. It is supposed to rain Fri-Sat, not M, Tu and again late next week. Grrr.

Once the greenhouse is up, I can work on the raised veggie beds and get the pool back up. Never a dull moment!

Chele, I need to hire you to come whip some things in shape for me. You get more done in a day than most folks I know.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I'm just glad that I remembered to make White Chili in the crockpot this morning. By the time I came in, I was ready to sit and not move. LOL Raking out all the gravel tomorrow should be blast....I did order more than I needed so I can fill some holes in the driveway.

Highland Heights, KY(Zone 6a)

I agree, you are truly amazing!

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I'd be happier with some Flexall 454! LOL Gotta make hay while the sun shines. Lots of rain coming up. grr cuss cuss Anybody wanna come help?? We don't want to talk about how messy and dirty my house is right now.....

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Having

a

bad

day!!

Bloomingdale, OH(Zone 6a)

UH OH

What happened? Or is it a WHO happened?

Do I have to kill someone for you? Please?

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I left two men alone in the backyard with instructions. LOL Wanna guess how that went??

Highland Heights, KY(Zone 6a)

LOL, oh, noooo, doesn't sound good! I hope it gets fixed!

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I was up at 7am, got my coffee made, got the kids off to school, played on the computer about an hour and a half and hit the shower. The gravel guy was supposed to be here between 10:30-noon.

I ran outside and got the ground cover fabric straightened out and laid in place, then stapled it.I cleaned up some stuff that was laying around and went in for more coffee. Had some time to spare, took some pics, went into download them. My computer did something funky and ate the photos. Grr. No big deal other than I had some custom made "original" boutique bows on the camera. So I sat down to nurse Nolan and in pulls the gravel guy.

I tell hubby to tell him to pull right up to the end and dump part, then see if it's possible to go in at an angle and drop some more.

They step on the ground and decide it's firm enough and go ahead and back in at an angle first, with 8.3 tons of gravel on the truck. I walked out while he was backing up and said "SINKING! YOU ARE SINKING!" and it looked like 2 molezillas were making tunnels on both sides of the tire. He kept coming then really sunk, then tried to go forward then tried to go backward, then called his brother to bring a tow truck....

Thumbnail by Badseed
Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

While we are sitting and waiting, I tell him to go ahead and drop about 1/3 and I'll put it in with a shovel. So he did. Then the plan was for him to try to back up and dump more at the end. I decided that was probably a bad idea as his brother left and he might get stuck again so he dropped another pile in the drive. Hubby tells him to dump the whole thing and "We" will spread it. I asked him what "We" that would be as 99% of "We" is usually ME.

So I told him to drop that part where my car goes and spread the rest up the drive on his way out.

Now see, had they done what they were instructed to do, 1/3 of the gravel would have been in the end of the foundation and the other 1/3 would have been exactly where it was or possibly IN THE BOX! My plan for today was to spread the gravel and put the roof to the greenhouse together. Instead, I had to shovel about 6 tons of gravel into the foundation and in front of it, fix the tire tracks, the go spread what was dropped.

In the course of an hour, I went from this...

Thumbnail by Badseed
Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

to this...

So there went my simple plans for spreading and building!

Thumbnail by Badseed
Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

To put this in perspective for you, the end of the greenhouse frame is 8'8" and the garage is 24' long. Aren't those *little* piles cute??

Think the ruts don't look so bad? Can you see the railroad tie off to the right? LOL Those were some big tires on a really heavy truck.

Thumbnail by Badseed
Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Kristenne came to help me when she got home. She raked out the gravel here.

Thumbnail by Badseed

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.