February 2011

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

New thread for February!! Dealing with a major blizzard that has dumped feet of snow and closed some major highways in the Midwest.

I-70 is closed both directions from Kansas City to St.Louis. Please find alternate routes if you have to go out in this storm.

A sunny pic on a dreary day. Eye of Kali tropical hibiscus.

Thumbnail by pepper23
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

O.M.G.!! That is gorgeous!! I would love to have that!

Some of our highways are down to one lane. I've had the scanner on, heck, I never shut it off, and most of the accidents were people sliding in the ditches this morning. I'm glad most are just going home and staying there. You really can't see much out there now.

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

Wow, nice hibiscus there Pepper! Yeah, the snow shovel is kinda outmatched by all this snow. Not long after you shovel something, it's covered back up with new snow!
I took it over to my Grandparents' to shovel a little by they're porch. I played 4 games of Chess, and got beat by my Grandfather all four games!
Here is a photo of the Truman home here in Independence, MO. this afternoon.

Wow, I-70 closed that much, I bet thats not popular with truckers! Better safe than sorry I suppose. You know those big rigs would just barrel ahead if they could, that would be dangerous.
They just said on the news that Kansas City has so far gotten 9 inches and it's still coming down good.
I bet you're Black Spruce could be it, billyp, thanks. : )
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf
Kansas City, MO(Zone 5b)

This storm has been good for family time around here. As long as the power stays on and the internet works, we may just make. Hello, my name is Debbie and I was so happy when I found all of you. At last, a garden forum that works. Everyone stay safe, the wind is howling like a banshee out there.

Hi not2simple!! Glad you guys are staying warm! We haven't lost power here yet either. I doubt we will but I'm crossing my fingers.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

We are drifted in. Can't get out either garage. 5' drifting across the main garage and thru the yard. We will be digging out by hand today.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

It was cold & sunny here today. High was 3º.

Roads all plowed out.

Roads are plowed and mostly cleared. Driveway will be plowed tomorrow so we can actually walk instead of stumbling. Snow is about knee deep with drifts in places taller than my truck. More snow coming this weekend.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Will, we were lucky to not have wind after we scooped. No snow blow-in.

Laughing, I'll bet your Grandpa had been wanting to beat someone, to shake the cabin fever!

Beautiful home! Nice snow capture!

Hi Not2simple/Debbie, glad to have another person chime in. We seem to have lost some people and I miss them!

Our town streets are now double wide and the highways are good. The wind carried the snow right across the open fields. The corn stubble is showing, LOL! Most of the tall drifts in town were up here in my end. We are open to the North and West, but at the start, the snow dropped over the garage from the East.

Most of you know I'll be a Grandma in July. DD had an ultrasound and it's twins! One each. They don't run in any of our families.

The babies weigh about 8 oz now and she was 17 weeks along Monday. They are fraternal, so she ovulated twice. There's a reason for everything so I guess we'll see where it takes us :o)

Shawnee Mission, KS(Zone 6a)

Billyporter - Congradulations on the soon to be double grandma status. Guess twins run in your family now. Are they thinkinga bout names yet or still in shock about it being twins.

The truckers were being put in one of the mall parking lots here in town. Better there than spread across the highway someplace. I saw once saw a semi truck flip around backwards, cross the grass meridian, and slide backwards 100 ft or more into the sow on the side of the road. Since he crossed in front of us it was a little scarey. Better to be stuck than on the road in those kind of conditions.

Thanks for the picture of the Hibiscus. Nice to see something looking summer like with all the winter outside.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

SusanKC, thanks! I guess they do and I'm glad I'm too old to have them myself, LOL!
DD has been thinking name. I can't wait to see what she picks, now that there is a girl :o)

I think it's the best news, that they are pulling semi's off the road. They are the last people who need to be sliding across the road at little us. Man, I'm glad you were safe!

We took the boys home yesterday afternoon. I ''had'' to play hide and seek, but we were rabbits in the ''foxhole'' tent. One of us hid and the other two had to count and go looking. We all screamed, ran and dove into the foxhole. The fox couldn't come in but he could reach in :o) It was great fun even if we had the animals a bit mixed :o)

Has anyone watched "The Marvelous Mr. Fox" movie? It is soooo good!!

Yeah, congratulations billyp! Not me, I don't know that movie.
How about those Packers?! I like the Packers, even if they made fun of me at the haircut place there this Summer! All I did was ask "so who are Packers fans, the whole state?"!

Oh, Grandpa really likes to play Chess. Today, we played 6 games of which he won four!
Thanks Sallyp, the Truman home really is beautiful. Oddly enuff, I've lived here forever and never been in it. A few years ago, my Grandfather's brother nominated the state chamion Pawpaw tree across from the Truman home. Altho, they musta found a better one because this one isn't the champion anymore apparently, it's not on they're site. It's the tree on the fence in the pic, (see the Truman home there?, thats a tourist pedestrian walking).

Welcome not2simple Debbie!
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

The game was great last night. I also rooted for the Packers and was estatic they won. Now the singing....well....could have been better but I can't blame them for messing up. That's a big gig to do.

I've been in the Truman Home once for sure. It was a school trip a long time ago. Would love to go back there again and will have to get some of my friends together and go check it out.

Is anyone around here going to the Lawn and Garden Show this weekend? I'm going Sunday. Need a couple new orchids and am gonna try to get some from David Bird.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

I got it wrong. It's ''Fantastic Mr. Fox'' and it's wonderful! Google it and watch the trailors.

I don't have a sports bone in my body :o) I don't watch the games or even know which names are football or baseball.

It would be cool to see inside the home. I was in Abraham Lincoln's when I was a kid and bored! I'd go back now.

Pepper, gotta love the school class trips!

Pictures of the orchids you want, and the ones you actually buy!!

I went to the Lawn and Garden Show in 2003 for my Mom's birthday. It's a neat event, you get lots of ideas there, the displays and all at that is amazing.
Here is a photo of when I went back in the day.

Hey, if you ride a treadmill and lift dumbbells, you are indeed sporty! : )

A friend of mine lives just outside of Springfield, Ill. and he says Abe's ghost has been seen coming down the road in a horse-drawn buggy!
I'd love to be able to visit Lincoln sites if they were close!

Thumbnail by shortleaf

I will try to remember to take the camera. I just emailed a friend asking him about my computer problems so hopefully I can start downloading pics again soon.

I want to visit Mark Twain's place. lol. I'd love to just be able to see Hannibal. Haven't been there since I was a baby and have no memories of it.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Well, my throat is officially sore and the brain a bit slow. I'm fighting to keep on top of it!

Will, back in the day is right, but it's still is a great memory! Smiling over the ghost. It's a shame I don't believe in them. I spoil all the fun.

Yayyy, I'm sporty! Maybe I'm Sporty Spice, LOL! Except I can't carry a tune either.

Pepper, I've been in the M.T. cave, both with Mom on family vacations and with DH and DD, early in our years. In Muscatine, Ia they made a Mark Twain lookout over the Mississippi. We haven't been up there yet, LOL!

I hope someone can answer you questions. You lost your cord for a while there didn't you? Maybe it has a tiny break in it. I can also take my card out and download thru the printer, but I just use the cord.

My new printer is a basic printer so I can't download thru it. I have 2 cords that fit and neither one are working. So it's a computer problem. Haven't heard back from him yet. Will give him a few days.

I would love to see the cave. Want a riverboat ride too. LOL.

Hope everyone who got the snow got around ok this morning. It was pretty slick out there!!

Hi Pepper, I use my little SD cards to transfer photos to my puter.
Ewww.. a sore throat, hope it doesn't turn out to be more, billyp. Yes, you are sporty, Sallyp! And you didn't even know it! Maybe Posh Spice Beckham plays a little soccer, thats sporty I suppose!
You're not alone, I can't sing either! I'd even just move my lips but not actually sing in church!
I'd like to go to Hannibal, MO. and visit the Mark Twain museum too. I always did liken myself to a Huckleberry Finn type! Its much better to use the SD card in my humble opinion, because then you can download it visiting other's houses if you want to, and the card isn't ever forgotten, (speaking for myself there..lol). Also, here, a problem with cords for us is a cat, she has ruined countless devices by chewing the cords to them in two.
Yeah, I'm skeptical of ghosts too. My friend here always watches (and records) "Ghost Adventures". I tease her sometimes, I'll ask her, "Did you actually see a ghost tonite?". I think those shows kinda count on the dark footage and spooky locales and night vision and stuff. I think alot of the hotels and bars and stuff with ghosts just want the publicity..lol It IS entertainment I guess. If it brings people happiness then I am all for it.
Yeah, memories of times gone by! Back then I dreamed of a landscaping business! I kinda had some reality unfortunately, and a landscaping business is way on the back burner..lol
Will

I have a slot for my SD card but my card won't go in. LOL. I don't know if it's because I may not have the hardware inside the box or if the computer hates me. I do have Vista and I sure do hate it. I want Windows again. lol

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

I went to Hannibal, Mo few years ago and it nice and saw in the cave so much miles inside and very dark lol....

Also there is some gifts shops, too!

I've read about the Mark Twain attraction in Hannibal, I'd love to go there someday.
I am glad to hear there is gift shops there, I am a collector of shot glasses!
Hi Pepper, I have a Dell laptop with Windows Vista and it has the SD card slot. I think all or most computers built in the last 3 or 4 years approx. (non-custom-built) have those slots. Whats peculiar about my Dell is it has a fake piece of plastic in the slot by default to keep the slot unobstructed and clean apparently. I don't know if your's is like that or not, but that has to be taken out first.
I am exposed, I AM a computer geek! lol I sometimes frequent the computer talk forum here, there is really some knowledgeable people there that love to help also.
Its possible that you're camera didn't come with a standard sized SD card, thats unlikely, but that would stink.
Vista is Windows you silly! It's just a pretty commonly looked-down-on-version of an operating system from Microsoft, I think it stinks too. The desktop I'm on now has Windows 7 and it is good.

I used the cards out of both of my cameras on my computer and it wouldn't go thru. But it could have that plastic in it like you said. I will have to remember that and when I get a free day take the computer apart and see if it's there.

Yeah, I got Vista because it was supposed to replace Windows whatever (lol) and become the next big thing. Instead it was and still is a big flop. lol

Oh Pepper, you don't have to take it apart to see if it has that. It's shaped like an SD card, it just goes in the same slot like the card does, but it's just a piece of plastic.
Yeah, alot of people were saying then that Windows XP was better than Vista. And Vista was supposed to be this great new thing from Microsoft and I think everybody just wished they woulda stayed with XP! Windows 7 is a good advancement I think.
Will

i'll try to get a better look at it tomorrow. I see a plastic thing at upright angle then the metal behind it.

Eeeee! My subscription expires in 4 days I see. Financially, things aren't terrible right now.
I'm gonna get subscribed up soon. Boy, this cold can't be good on a few potted plants outside and even a few in the ground! For instance, I have a new Peach tree, luckily it's in the ground, but it's label says only -10, and it's gotten pretty near that a couple of times.
I have the receipt to it, so I'll dig it up and return it if I must! Tho, I have such high hopes for it, well peaches for one..lol I planted 2 Creeping Phloxes by it's base and I plan (or planned!) on putting landscape edging around it and mulch even!
Will

Shawnee Mission, KS(Zone 6a)

FYI - The metropolitain garden show is at the american royal this weekend.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Pepper, that sucks about the computer not downloading. I hope it's a simple fix.

I remember it's cold in the cave so take a coat! I think it stays a chilly 60*. I know where there's a lady and a riverboat :o). We took a paddleboat ride when I was a kid and threw Fritos in the water. These huge fish came up to eat them. I'll bet they were Carp :o)

Will, I'd be happy to just look like Posh Spice, LOL!

ROTFL! I used to mouth the words, but I figured the people next to me couldn't hear me singing, so why bother. Anyone farther away couldn't tell either :o)

I used to read Tom Sawyer all the time. So you're the rebel Huck. He got himself in a few situations!

My cords are folded loosely and sealed in a ziplock, in my drawer. I even try to keep air in the bag.

I've tried watching the Ghost shows, but they are just too hokey.

Pepper, actually, I did try my card in the printer and my card didn't go in either. I wasn't going to force it. I think Vista hates you!

Rusty, they do do quite a long tour to my recollection. I think I remember them turning out all the lights so we coul;d see how dark it could get in there. Very dark!

Will, I have a small collection I got from my Great Aunt. She used to tend bar. I use the one with colored lines around it to measure out the coffee cream. I'll take pictures for you one of these days.

Hmmm, looks like I may have to get down and have a look too, LOL! Computer geeks are welcome!

I have Windows 7 and like it. I went from 10 year old Gateway to this, so there's no comparison for me. But it works.

Will, I hope your peach survives. They are touchy.

Have a nice night all. Funny Home Videos are almost on, LOL!

Waving to ImaMes, you were on my mind today!

Went to the Lawn and Garden Show today and had a blast. Visited the Grass Pad booth and they had a huge sale going on where you could buy a box of bulbs for 5 bucks or a crate for 15. My friend and I got 2 boxes each of tulips and daffs and a few others mixed in.

We got to see Reed Timmer of Storm Chasers and see the car. Got me an orchid, Milt. Up Country Puna 'Keeau Star'. All in all spent too much money but it was worth every penny. The orchid was the most expensive but it's a big one and fragrant so I got a good deal really.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Pepper, the day you had was worth every penny! You did get good deals and that covers the orchid!

It's Monday and I need to really vacume every square inch of the bedroom. I can imagine all the cough droplets in all the dust. It will feel a lot healthier when I'm done!

Hi all,
What a muddy mess out there, but glad for the warmer temperatures. Weather.com
says its 48° F right now, thats pretty warm! And it appears to be a warm trend coming up!
Whaddaya mean Sally?! Posh Spice ain't all that!
Haha! Yeah that old Huckleberry Finn! Altho, I'd like to think I'm a little more sophisticated than him, but prolly not! lol

Glad you had a good time there, Pepper. That show really has some good deals, I remember that. It'd be hard for the plant person not to spend and go wild on buying at that, so much temptation!

Thanks billyp, I hope that Peach tree did alright this Winter, (well, does alright, I guess we're not out of the woods yet, dangit!)

Yeah, where is that ImaMes?! : )
Happy Valentines to all of you! I'd give you each a little heart candy that says, "will you be my friend?"
Will

Got called into work today to help out in the floral shop. Worked almost 6 hours. I don't get a day off again til Sunday unless main boss man makes me take a day off. I'm just under 40 hours if I work as scheduled the rest of the week. I'm gonna be beat!! lol

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Will, laughing, I always thought I was like Tom Sawyer, especailly when it comes to sitting still. Give me a doodle bug to play with when things are boring!

Got the candy heart :o) Your's says, you're sweet :o)

Pepper, you might be beat, but the paycheck will be nice!

I did clean house and cupboards all afternoon. It was time to weed out things I don't use. Goodwill gets two sacks. The garbage man gets a recycling tub full of plastics. The old Tupperware is weeded out and the whole house got a good vacuuming, with attatchments, LOL!

I soaked some pots also and hope to sow columbine and other touchy seed I haven't had any luck with.

Adrian, MO

HI I just joined this forum; glad to see some folks from the Jackson Co, MO area. I am in Bates county and am watching the snow melt! What a muddy mess. I've got seeds germinatng in flats all over the house in preparation for Spring.

Welcome Justgrowin!! It is a muddy mess out there!! My truck only has black on the hood and roof now. LOL.

I'm still beat today. All my joints hurt and occasionally my head hurts. Several coworkers noticed it and commented on it but they were also there at work yesterday so they understand why. I'm hoping tomorrow is better. lol.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Hi Justgrowin! Garden seeds, flower seeds or both? I really can't do anything till late April, unless some of the flower seeds need 12 weeks. I did sow columbines and filled the flat with just them. Three to a pot. If they all grow I'm in trouble, LOL! I set them on the side porch and hope the cold weather will help them. I don't have luck with them in the warmth of the house.

Awww Pepper, I hope it's better today. I guess none of us are really ready to be super busy yet. It takes some time to ''wake up'' after all the cold weather.

DH scooped off some of the garden so I can at least see dirt :o) He did it so the water sould soak in instead of running into the garage, LOL! Still, it's nice to see black under the white.

I hope I can pull the Christmas ornaments out of the dirt one of these days. They really look out of place.

Am feeling much better today!! Mostly normal. lol. Most of us working that day in floral are finally feeling better today. It's about time!! LOL

We're starting to see plenty of dirt around here finally. And the snow that's not soaking in is running along the side of the roads and filling up the ditches. Kinda nice to see. lol

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

I was looking for snow in your squirrel picture, LOL! I'm glad you weren't the only worn out person at work and glad you're feeling much better!

It's amazing how much our snow has shrunk! I couldn't believe the 52* this morning. The more it slowly soaks in the better! I still can't see the flower beds, but have clear patches in the grass. We are halfway thru February and I wonder, am I really ready for Spring? What is the first thing I'm going to do? I don't know! It depends on how wet everything is!! Panic! LOL!

95% of the snow around here is gone. What's left is in shady areas where the sun can't reach and along ditches where the snow has piled up. Creeks are full but not dangerously. That will happen when it rains here in the next few days. All in all it's kinda nice out. If you don't mind mud and muck. LOL

Spring is around the corner! I think I'll put my hardy-but-still-in-a-pot plants out so I can have the floor space in the garage. I think those potted plants will likely be able to handle the temperatures until warm weather.
Awwww.... the candy heart says I'm sweet?! I AM a sweet person you know! Thanks for the compliment Sally!
Not much snow left around here, it's still piled up here and there, not many piles left though. One good thing about mud I guess, it's good shoveling! I shoveled mud for about 2 hours straight today, in preparation for my landscaped area in the back I am about to do. I'm about halfway done with it, I'm gonna work some more tomorrow on it. I have a photo here of what I've been doing some of.
Its funny, this photo only shows the post hole digger still showing metal. I musta took the photo about halfway down or something, when I was done you couldn't see the metal part, that hole is 2 feet deep! I am gonna lay down weed fabric and then mulch there, it'll encompass the Bamboo trench, a Trumpet Vine, (for which I am digging the hole for it's landscape timber in concrete), Surprise Lilies, and a Mimosa tree and anything else I plant in there later, (which could be quite a lot!). Thats the trellis thing for the vine to grow on, it's top right of the photo, (it's a former futon frame!).
Does anyone know of a hardy flower that blooms nicely in a heavily shaded spot? Astilbe?
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.