Central Midwest Gardening: February 2011, 1 by shortleaf

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright shortleaf

In reply to: February 2011

Forum: Central Midwest Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of February 2011
shortleaf wrote:
Spring is around the corner! I think I'll put my hardy-but-still-in-a-pot plants out so I can have the floor space in the garage. I think those potted plants will likely be able to handle the temperatures until warm weather.
Awwww.... the candy heart says I'm sweet?! I AM a sweet person you know! Thanks for the compliment Sally!
Not much snow left around here, it's still piled up here and there, not many piles left though. One good thing about mud I guess, it's good shoveling! I shoveled mud for about 2 hours straight today, in preparation for my landscaped area in the back I am about to do. I'm about halfway done with it, I'm gonna work some more tomorrow on it. I have a photo here of what I've been doing some of.
Its funny, this photo only shows the post hole digger still showing metal. I musta took the photo about halfway down or something, when I was done you couldn't see the metal part, that hole is 2 feet deep! I am gonna lay down weed fabric and then mulch there, it'll encompass the Bamboo trench, a Trumpet Vine, (for which I am digging the hole for it's landscape timber in concrete), Surprise Lilies, and a Mimosa tree and anything else I plant in there later, (which could be quite a lot!). Thats the trellis thing for the vine to grow on, it's top right of the photo, (it's a former futon frame!).
Does anyone know of a hardy flower that blooms nicely in a heavily shaded spot? Astilbe?
Will