February 2011

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Astible, helebores, climbing hydranga, bleeding hearts are a few.

Here's a link that has a bunch listed; http://www.extension.umn.edu/distribution/horticulture/dg1428.html

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

Lots of new faces, Hi everyone, I didn't try to catch up with all the post! LOL
I have been away from DG for awhile. January was a horrible month for me and my family, but Feb seems to better thank goodness. Hope everyone is doing well and I haven't missed anything earth shattering except maybe Arkansas... ;)

SusanKC, did you go to the garden show? I did and managed to spend money but didn't think it was as good as normal. I usually buy some strange upright elephant ears and things and they didn't have as many bulbs and dry roots as normal. Think the economy has gotten to some of them. My neighbor was there with his little booth, he is really only there for advertising but he was selling $5 hummingbird feeders and yard stuff. He owns Comanche Acres Iris farm. If you have never been up there you should really go around Mothers Day, there are acres and acres of iris blooming. Beautiful! Do you go to garden show at Bartle? I have never been to the one in Johnson County. I thought this year I was going to go to the one in Wichita but a friend who was going to go with me has a wedding that Saturday....I heard it is excellant and I thought it would be a fun long day trip.

Shortleaf your fishes are doing fine even tho they were covered in snow after the blizzard. The pond heater kept the snow off the water but it drifted like a dome over the top of the pond, it was the strangest thing. I thought the pond was frozen and almost had the big one, ran out with the shovel, stuck it in the snow expecting to hit ice but instead lifted a section of the dome off the pond, not sure how the snow made that dome without support but it sure did....odd. Stronger than some sports stadiums!

Pepper that is an amazing hibiscus, so bright.

I stopped by Comanche Acres when I was at the show. My friend has been wanting to go there for several years and we are hoping to make it this year. I almost bought some of his stuff since it was so cheap but resisted. LOL

Glad you are back Happ!! Was wondering what you were up too. Glad things are going better for you now. :~)

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

Welcome Justgrowin! I got some cuttings about 3 years ago from a nice member near you I think, cat64129. The only one of those cuttings that I have left and haven't managed to kill is a purple Wandering Jew from her. It cannot be killed and it is so pretty and extraordinarily hardy for a houseplant. I have plenty of cuttings of it if anybody would like some. It's flourishing right now under a shop-lite with grow bulbs in it down in the garage.
I went outside a little while ago with my work gloves on, my work shirt on, by gosh I was really gonna get something done! Then, it started sprinkling lightly. I was straightening out my extension cord for some cutting with my trusty electric chainsaw, (I am cutting up railroad ties to make them manageable to get rid of).
They say back in the day they were used alot in landscaping because they contain creosote, well, now they say "creosote leaks into everything, so get rid of railroad ties!".
Well, it starts sprinkling heavier, I am thinking, "well, isn't this great"! So, I just whip out my camera and snap a photo in the heavy sprinkle, so at least I can say I did something!
I run inside as fast as I can, (so the neighbors don't think there is really something wrong with me), it is now raining! Well, the neighbors are in for a surprise when I go back out there in a bit, prolly in the rain and in the dark. Like last nite, I was out there in the dark shoveling mud! I tell you, I am really excited about the landscaping I plan back there. And, even better, I've been given the green lite from the homeowner here to do it!

Hehe, billyp has a panic room! : )

Welcome back happ! Sorry to hear things haven't been that great, I can relate, things suck at times. I am glad to hear them fishes are up and about. I am gonna be working on the pond soon, I've already raked the leaves out of it, but it's too full of water to dig more, which is what I really need to do on it. My cousin once broke the ice on my Grandmother's fishpond that froze over, needless to say all the Koi had died, they could also have died from gas buildup when it was frozen over tho. They say don't break the ice if you can avoid it, because it's likely to kill the fish. What a heater, give that thing a bucket of oats!! My Grandpa says that about his knight or my knight in Chess! I think he just likes saying it, he'll say it about any piece in Chess if the horsey one, (the knight, isn't earning it's keep)! I found out another phrase he says is his own original! When times get tough in Chess, he'll say, "the cheese is binding"! I don't even know what it means, so if it's nasty, sorry! He's an ordained minister, so I doubt that it's nasty! Hehe, it's stronger than the stadium in Minn.!

Thanks Pepper for those ideas and the link, I went to it and read about gardening in the shade, very useful, thanks, I bookmarked it.
That is a real pretty hibiscus up there Pepper. I still have those 'Red Shield' hibs from you potted up in the basement. They haven't shown any signs of life yet. I hope I haven't killed them with the fiftyish degree temps. down there. I water them once a week or so when I water the other stuff.
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

I killed mine so if yours doesn't make it then I won't feel bad. lol. I think I still have a few seeds floating around here somewhere. I'll have to grow it again.

Glad the link was helpful. I was gonna just copy and paste the plants then figured it's just easier to post the link. lol

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

3:00 am thunder, 3:30 am, cat wants me to get up, 4:00am, I get up, but ONLY so I don't miss any of the rain. 4:30 am one more bit of thunder, ahhh.

Will, I'll bet you could set the pots out. Thinking of floor or table space sometimes influences our decisions, LOL! I love to Spring clean and put things away.

Yep, you are sweet. It shows :o)

That's a lot of scooping, but it's two hours accomplished.

Happ, I missed you! I was afraid you were done for, but haven't even had time to go to your page to see if you were due to renew. I'm due for renewal now, so will have to do that pretty soon.

I'm so sorry to hear you had a crappy January. I had wondered if you're Mom was ok.

I think any Garden Show sounds really nice. Just to get out of the house and look is worth it.

Laughing over the snow dome and panic attack! We had the snow, loop over, and there was a tunnel all the way thru. That was a new one for us too!

Pepper, how could you resist? Even with the iris borer, I seem to accuulate new iris and then fret over them for the rest of their life!

Will, I used to have Wandering Jew. The are beautiful. But, I went thru all the houseplants in my youth and don't care to keep any anymore, except for the aloe plant.

We are apparently getting your yesterday's rain, today. I am glad to see it!

We will be getting rid of the RR ties that line our driveway and already got rid of those I had in a flower bed. We cobbed them from the RR anyway, when they replaced them with new ones. Well, they didn't use them. They just set them all on fire, so pooh to them. We only took a couple. They were the only fairly good ones left. The driveway, DH bought from a work friend.

Will, laughing, I kind of understand your Grandfathers cheese phrase! I liken it to "the plot thickens" :o)
Which picture is that? You have so many projects going on I forget.

Pepper, had to smile over you killing your's. It sounds like they just aren't basement plants and the seeds would work better.

One Grandchild coughing over the whole house over the week end. I was glad to take him back home, LOL! The one who was usually sick has his adenoids out and tubes in his ears now. It's working for him and I'm glad. I'm still fighting the sinus and thought I'd have tonsilitis today, on one tonsil, LOL! For some reason it was gone this morning. I think I will be on the mend. I better be!

My tomato seeds came, so the garden is complete. Just need a pea fence put back in, a new driveway and I'm good to go. I sure wish I had more garden room. I just don't have too many sunny areas left.

Oops, sorry, that is my fishpond in it's unfinished state! I posted in blue_eyes thread accidently, it was supposed to be in here. Everybody in Missouri isn't imbeciles, just me blue_eyes! : )
My Grandpa is a funny sort, kinda like me! Oh, his version of, "the plot thickens" is "I see you're fiendish plot!" He has my plots down pretty good, he wins over 2/3 of the games we play. Actually, from what I've read about advice and rules on Chess is they don't even recommend talking, it can give away strategy. I suppose I can see how that could be, but its all in fun mostly and it's hard to resist friendly ribbing and whatnot!
Today, I got lucky, I beat him 2 out of 3 games, a rarity, overall, its his 49 to my 29 since about Thanksgiving when we started playing alot.
You guys must renew if you're subscriptions get up!
Heres my latest and greatest Wandering Jew, it's a fancy one I got at Walmart for like $2.96 or something a little while back. It's in the photo, sorry about my cheesy grin, I think the camera got the photo when I was grinning! Haha! yeah, they said our nasty weather was going North and gonna miss us, sorry!
I'm gonna wait a while Pepper, before I give up on those 'Red Shield' cuttings, many times I've had cuttings a long time and it takes a long for them to show signs of life, I'm thinking at least 6 more months. With my cuttings, it isn't usually over until a cat lays in the pot repeatedly (without me noticing) and uproots the cutting, I wait quite a while! Well, that doesn't always happen, but I wait a long time! lol
Those railroad ties put up a fight, but I was persistent! I did whatever I had to to get them outta there! I hit them with a sledgehammer, cut them into pieces with my chainsaw, pried on them with a pick, and I'm about halfway done removing them!
Ewww, sinus trouble, it does sound unpleasant Sally.
Happ, if you're still out there, were you still able to get that dark red climbing Rose? You don't have to do alot of digging, just a cutting should do it.
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

Heres my trellis thing and the pieces sitting around that I'm going to use, I tell you, I do stuff on the cheap! Thats an old futon frame and the metal post from the previous deck pillar/support will be the support for the whole thing, it will be in concrete is the plan. I aim to have an old Trumpet Vine growing up it.

Thumbnail by shortleaf
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Will, now explained, I do get your Grandpa's meaning. That is so funny! He must be fun to hang around with and it's nice you can enjoy him! Games with family should be more about fun, and congrats on your wins! That must have been sweet!

Yep, cheesy :o) It looks like you might have been saying cheese :o) Nice little plant!

Yeah, RR ties are big and tough. The worst is the creosoted ones. I can't wait to get rid of ours. I don't know where we'll take them, but they have to go. They are so late 70's.

The old frame looks just fine and will hold a lot of vine! It sure beats throwing it on the fire to get rid of it.

Adrian, MO

HI All
I finally got back here and read everyone's post. It sounds like you all have spring fever just like I do. I still have more seeds to plant, and some trees to pot up. I'm getting a few Harry Lauder Walking Sticks in so will be potting those up soon. They are such neat plants.
I wanted to get to the Home & Garden show in KC but couldn't. Would love to hear more about Cheyenne Acres and where they are.
We are expecting rain, sleet and snow tomorrow, drat ! I have a ton of things to do.
Notice there are some Chess players here. Occasionally my husband and I play. His nephew is really good, one year he was the Kansas State champion chess player. But I'm lucky to win ever now and then.

Yeah, Grandpa is fun to be around. I could be so lucky to live to be his age, 89. Saying cheese?! Not me, my camera was sitting on a shelf on self-timer! lol Sorry about all the mess in the photo, that was in the garage where the plants are, there is some clutter down there, I'll be cleaning up later. Hehe, late 70's eh?! I'm thinking even older than that here for the RR ties. This house was built in 1965, I am thinking they go back to then! They might've even looked okay back then, but if nothing else, they are deteriorating now! Some of them are kinda hollow, you drop them and like this sawdust/mud falls out everywhere!
Thanks, I hope that old bed frame does the job. I've been kicking it around for years trying to come up with a use for it, I hope I found it!

Oh, I love Chess, I'm really not that good though. I talk a big game, but I usually lose! lol
I'd love to have just one Harry Lauder Walking Stick, but they are so expensive at most places. But, what a cool look on that little tree. Commanche Acres does sound like a neat place, I never got into Irises much, but I might someday soon!
I have Spring Fever too alright! I love nice days outside where I can do a little something for a little while. Its kinda iffy working with concrete when its this cool, but it got up to 55° or so today.
They say not to do concrete jobs under freezing or so, so I cut that close, but it's just for a pole and it set up in about 30 minutes after I poured it in there this afternoon.
This photo shows my up and coming Red Honeysuckle or Trumpet Vine pole and trellis going up! I don't really know what that old vine is, my friend here calls it Red Honeysuckle.
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

Will, just go to PG, carry pruners in your pocket and get a cutting of the Harry Lauder Walking Stick that's in the Perennial Garden. Just make sure no one is around. lol

JustGrowin, Commanche Acres is an iris farm located outside of St. Joseph. Here is their website: http://www.comancheacresiris.com/

Thats an idea! But, can that tree be propagated by cutting? I thought it might be grafted or air layered maybe.
But, I got a Swamp White Oak growing outside in a pot now from acorns that I got from Powell Gardens years ago. I'm not adverse to getting seeds or something from a place like Powell Gardens if I must!
Will

Morning.

Any willow tree can be started from a cutting, but not so sure about an oak, I would doubt it. Infact my family got a flower arrangement that had 3 willow branches in it. A family member took it home and then called me a few weeks later because the willow sticks had sprouted...

Comanche Acres is about 40 miles north of downtown KC and about the same but south of St. Joseph. It is close to Plattsburg, MO. They have acres of iris and now their stock of spuria is getting larger, which I am just getting into. They have water gardens and few peonies. Justgrowin, if you are going to go to the iris farm, there is a MG group and the FFA group of high school kids who have a plant sale about that time, plan to do them together. I will post a date as soon as I find out. Comanche Acres sells some iris in May when they are open, others you have to wait until late summer. I buy most of mine in May and I am here to tell you I have less problems out of them and no problems with them heeving in the winter. Love buying locally, so I do buy alot from them, found a daylily guy in a small town up north, buy hostas from a small nursery in Independence (couldn't figure out how it overwintered everything) but have since read lots of comments that you can overwinter hostas in pots above the ground without any problems. Sides paying shipping is horrible. I can usually buy another plant for the shipping cost.

I did do a spuria coop one time from Comanche, which saved money to DG'ers cause it was only shipping to their house cause I went and picked them up.

Sleet is coming down in downtown KC. yuck!

Adrian, MO

Planting more seeds today, tomatoes,, peppers, and various flowers. Hope I have some vermiculite in the garage, as I read that putting that over the seeds helps prevent dampening off. I've already lost 2 crops of zinnias, grrrr. Had hoped to have some for sale this spring. I have a little backyard nursery and will be selling plants (hopefully).
Glad the weather is not as bad as predicted. Down here we just have cold rain and the temps have been in upper 30s. Wind is very chilly though. Chilly, hmm, makes me think of chili, maybe that is what I will have for supper!
Thought about the Grandpa's comment of "the cheese is binding" . Wonder if it meant that things were getting a little "constipated" or binding, meaning he's having trouble moving the pieces! LOL Love the comment about the knights, I"ll have to remember that.
I'm checking out the cheyenne acres website. Thanks for posting that.

Do you have a pretty good light setup for growing indoors before warm outside Justgrowin? I only have one 4 ft. shoplite with plant bulbs in it for about 20 plants and it looks quite silly! Haha, yeah, my Grandpa loves that game! He gets all in this zone and everything, I think he forgets at times that I'm his Grandson! Oh, he loves strategizing and stuff and really putting the pressure on his opponent! Sometimes, tho, I'll get him all in a tizzy in that game, not often but sometimes I do!
Oh, he gets all excited about Chess! He says stuff like his armpits are soaked, his brow is sweaty, his chair is wet (from sweat, of course!)! He has this thing about telling me, "I'll even play you left handed". Actually, he does have to play left handed now because his right hand is in a cast, he fell about 2 weeks ago and broke a finger. Yeah, I have thought too that might be what, "the cheese is binding" means! I'll ask him sometime and see what he says it means, I'm curious too, it's so funny!
Yeah, this sleet and stuff is just awful. Up here, it's bad, but North of the river and I believe they said on the news also, North of I-70 is downright treacherous to drive.

50 Hwy was a solid sheet of black ice this morning. A driver called into 94.1 and said that on a certain stretch there were 15 accidents. Right after that a truck driver got on there and asked people to turn their headlights on cause it was whiteout conditions at Lee Summit Rd there on I-70.

I ran carts a couple times today and wished I had my scarf with me. That sleet was trying to tear up my face!! Weird thing was it looked just like snow coming down til it hit bare skin. I finally gave up and made one of the girls on the next shift do it. LOL. Told her it was her turn!!

RIght now we are getting snow. Weird thing is at work we got more sleet than anything. Here at home, it looks like we got more snow. Ground was white when I got home.

Here is a Weeping Willow at my Sister's and Brother-In-Law's house. It started out as a cutting about 6 years ago, from me. Thats it in the back, it's the yellowish tree.
Another tree from me there is that evergreen tree on the right, it's an Eastern Red Cedar, I dug it up as a little sidewalk crack seedling and potted it up, and eventually gave it to my Sister and Brother-In-Law. I also gave them a large, shrub/small tree in that mound thing over on the left, it is one of several Ozark Witch Hazel seedlings I gave them last year.
At first, he planted that Weeping Willow around 2 feet from the fence, I told him, "thats too close to the fence, it might be small now, but it won't stay small".
I am glad he did move it about 8 feet from the fence and I think the tree is glad too! It's still a little too close to the fence, it's gonna hang over the neighbor's yards..lol They say the neighbors and everybody loves that tree tho. You can see they're next-door neighbor tried to keep up with the Joneses, it's funny, thats the BIL's name! Anyway, I don't know if the neighbor's Weeping Willow tree ever got any Fall colors, but in the photo it was still green! But, my Sister's and BIL's Weeping Willow has turned out to be quite the specimen. I always told them to prune all the multi-trunks off or they're just gonna have a big, weak bush of a tree. I'm glad they didn't listen to me actually, it has turned out very nice so far! Weeping Willows are indeed easy to grow from cuttings. I gave away some cuttings of it from that tree at the Fall RoundUp 09'. I think Pepper got one, not sure. That tree LOVES water, in my Sister's and BIL's backyard rainwater stands all around that tree and the tree loves it! That rock wall was put there years ago for that tree by my BIL, to hold in the rainwater as long as possible.

Yeah, this weather is a bummer. They say it won't be here long though, they said its going away like a bad haircut and I know about bad haircuts!
Will

This message was edited Feb 24, 2011 10:03 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf

You gave me a cutting to give to a friend. She now has it planted in her back yard.

Will, that Red Cedar will eventually outgrow their yard. lol. I hope they know that. The one we have is HUGE. I'll see if I can find a good pic of it.

This is a partial shot but gives you an idea of size. Especially with the lamps and water bowl in front. lol. We just trimmed it up a bit late last year too.

Thumbnail by pepper23

I hope it does good for her too, I can get more of them! Yeah, I have told them it's gets big. They always say, "oh, we won't be here when it gets that big", which I don't know about, they seem
pretty set where they are for awhile..lol Oh, I have photos of some big, old Eastern Red Cedars! You know what this means don't you?! You know I have to bore everybody with some photos of big, old Eastern Red Cedar trees! lol

Thumbnail by shortleaf

The cutting of that Weeping Willow tree came from this old now removed tree from Fleming Park outside of Independence, MO. It's better known as Lake Jacomo. You can tell that tree has some age because the top of it is dead. I think that means it's old and on it's way out, or sick and on it's way out. Either way , it was a neat tree, I was glad to get cuttings from it years ago.
See the duck?
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Hi Justgrowin, I have a second Harry Lauder and just love it. The first five years I had to grow it in chicken wire because the rabbits chewed my first beautiful one down to the ground. It's really getting some size on the trunk now. They grow so very slow!

Laughing, I tried to learn chess and it goes right over my head. I'm more a solitare player. I am not competetive.

Will, RR ties did used to look good, but they were made for landscaping. Ours have rotted and faded too. It's time to get rid of them. They were only put in to hold the rock in the driveway.

I think your cemented post will do just fine. The ground should stay moist enough for it to cure.

Pepper, ROTFL!!! I'm not sure how easy it is to get cuttings to root. I've tried with pieces the rabbit chewed, but didn't know how to do it, as they never took. There's a difference between hardwood and softwood and when you do it.

Happ, smiling over the same thing happening with pussy willows :o)
It is fascinating how easy they can be started.

I would love to get into some of the wild iris. I broke down and bought an iris book for Christmas one year. I love it! It's "Irises, A Gardeners Encyclopedia,'' by Claire Austin and covers everything with a lot of photographs. I refuse to buy illustrated books. It was $50.00, but I treasure it!

Justgrowin, I found a huge bag of vermiculite at Menards, the kind used for insulation, but was garden friendly. I shared it with my Dad. We use it for sowing carrots and other seeds almost too weak to push up the dirt by them selves, straight in the garden. At Earl May's, I found a bag of the fine. Big difference, and I do like it!

I hope you get enough to sell at your nursery. We had a guy in town that did that before he died. I was down there almost every day!

Will, your Grandpa is hilarious! It would be a joy to sit with him! I think he means the game is finally getting to the playoff stage. It will take some thinking now, to win.

Pepper, never go anywhere in winter without grabbing all winter gear, LOL! I can feel the sleet stinging!

Will, cool to be giving your Sis and BIL all the plantings! We'll see how the neighbors like to pick up after the willow, because they will every time they want to mow. Otherwise, it is a beautiful little tree for now.

Pepper, that is magnificent! What a windbreak!

Will, smiling over the big Cedars :o) Cool that you saved a tree :o) I see the duck!

It's snowing very lightly again. It's a good day to be in recouperating!

We got freezing rain instead of snow. YUCK!!! More rain tomorrow but at least we are supposed to see 50!!

Has everyone noticed the big hike in gas prices? I just paid $3.21 a gallon. Ouch! First time ever I have paid over $2.99. lol

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Pepper, I think it's only going to get worse before they just happen to let the prices back down. Rann in Iceland paying $7? Europe probably isn't much better. They have to pay it, so why shouldn't we, thinks the oil companies.

I am so sick of the greed in the world and the big guy standing on the little guy's shoulders and the little guy standing on the littlest guy's shoulders. It makes me sick with the unbalance. Ok, off the box!

Have a restful Sunday folks!

Okay where is all this melting at? It is just real foggy and not raining! The meteorologists should be ashamed of themselves! Well, the day isn't over yet I guess, maybe it'll melt.
I remember the Summer of 08', gas was nearly $4 a gallon when I was doing foreclosure clean-outs and it helped financially drain me in less than 2 months. Grandpa is hilarious, they say there is 3 parts to a Chess game, the beginning, the middle and the end game, I think his end game is "the cheese is binding" game!
Here is a photo a few minutes ago, out the window.
Will

This message was edited Feb 27, 2011 1:52 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Will, it's 34* here right now but not much melting going on. We need a bit more sun to peek theu. No rain yet either.

We are at the mercy of OPEC. They set the price and there needs to be Government regulations. I know people think less Government, but no. Someone has to police us because we won't do it ourselves. When was the last time your State tried to get itself out of a mess? OK... off the box!

I think the Prednesone is bringing out the feisty in me, LOL! I usually keep political to myself because I am not well informed in it.

Lets hope something is bound and broken! LOL!

Your window is my window.

Winter can't fight March! Not here, not there!

The Weather channel says it's 35° here now with a high of 48° and thundershowers tonite, ahem.. it can do that anytime!! - http://www.weather.com/weather/today/Independence+MO+64054
Yeah, Opec stinks. I forget which country of Opec, they say every resident of that country is a millionaire, I don't know if thats true or not, Saudi Arabia or the UAE maybe. Working at home must cut into oil consumption pretty good! I haven't driven my truck in about 2 weeks. The last time I got gas for it was before Christmas, I filled up. I just switched on the second tank, it prolly won't be empty until sometime this Spring! I'm leaving in a few minutes to play Chess with the cheeseman, wish me luck! It will be the first time I've driven my truck in a while, hope it starts!
Yeah, March and April is gonna put a hurting on old man Winter!
Will

Storming here. Not a huge cell from what I saw but it looked potent. The fog hasn't gone anywhere either!! I still see it in the rain. Crazy!!

Well, spring fever has hit me. I was at WalMart and they are starting to put out bulbs and stuff. I got me a thing of Peruvian Daffodils and a thing of hollyhocks.

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

As oil is rising up to $101 a barrel!

In California, it up to $4.21 a gallon... Around here is $3.19.... As by summer will up to $5.00 a gallon...

Hey guys! Those of you who live in Southern MO and other areas around TN please follow these links. There is an Amber Alert for a DG member's daughter and he needs all the help he can get. I'm just posting links to his posts about this instead of the whole thread.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=8395685

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=8396335

I hope he finds his daughter. The thunderstorms have started here, but I think it might too little rain and it's too cold to melt all the snow, we'll see.
How about Brecks flowers doing this all free, well except shipping, which appears to be around $10 on that $25 order. They're website doesn't have the same offer but I wonder if they're free catalog has that offer? I agree too, just a matter of time before gas is $5 a gallon prolly!

Thumbnail by shortleaf
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Will, those thunderstorms rolled thru here last night with wonderful thunder that shook the house and windows. I love to hear it! Naturally it froze, but we don't seem to be a sheet of ice today and the scanner only had one wreck on the interstate.

Good luck! Make the Cheeseman sweat!

Pepper, laughing! it is so tempting when they are fresh on the shelves.

Rusty, it's depressing, but most people will stop driving for fun. They'll have to.

Pepper, OMG!! I just went to the Porch and see she's back. OMG!

Will, I actually ordered from Brecks. The last time I did, it was for the Thalictrum and they wrote back with ''out of stock.'' I ordered it again this year. The only thing from the whole book. We'll see how it looks if I get it.

Actually, those are good deals and they aren't a hoax.

Billyp, you're weather sounds very similar to ours right now. It thundered big and rained steady last nite and evening yesterday here. Oh, I got the cheeseman good in Chess yesterday.
The one game I lost, I just made a couple bad mistakes that cost me that game. After I made one move, I immediately knew I made a terrible move but it was too late! He offered to let me take it back but I said "oh no", I had already taken my finger off it. I am kinda a stickler and I want the people I am playing to be too. I am going to order Breck's Lily Tree Purple Prince© if I remember to before the offer expires which I've done before on stuff! Like I did on the Michigan Bulb catalog. They'll send another one, they always do. I remember last year they sent three catalogs! lol I must have they're Banana 'basjoo'. I really want this lily tree from Breck's too though, so I'm gonna get on it soon I think. By gosh, I'm gonna have a flowering tree if it kills me! Hey, even though I am only up to $8.65 an hour at my job, I can still afford a couple plants by gosh!
Will

Oops, I meant to insert a photo of they're Lily Tree!

Thumbnail by shortleaf

Savannah was found safe, today I think it was. So the Amber Alert is called off and they are dealing with everything now.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Will, I am not a cheater or slider in games either.

I won't order from Michigan Bulb, unless they have improved the quality of their plants. Spring Hill used to be as bad and they did pick up on the size of their plants. But, I have my favorites and don't care to try them again.

The lily tree looks nice! Research it thru Garden Watchdog.

Pepper, that was such horrible news and I couldn't believe it happened. I am so glad it's over now!

Me too!!!

Adrian, MO

Well, it's been a while since I've been on this site! Been really busy planting seeds, and I received a bunch of dormant roots plants in. I've been selling them over the internet, so have been busy packing and shipping thank goodness! Still have more to sell though. Old Fashioned Bleeding hearts, Astilbe, Happy Returns daylilies, AND elderberry cuttings. Elderberries are quite the health food now. Lots of research out there about their antioxidant qualities and it helps to keep you from getting the flu. The weather had been cooperating until we got this snow and cold, it is supposed to get down to 27 degrees tonight, but warm up this week. I want to move my little plants out to the greenhouse, but can't yet. My little Yorkie Libby thinks she has to be in on everything. She's always pulling a tag or a small plant out of the pot and chews on it. She gets up on her hind legs to look into my raised beds and "supervises" me when I plant or weed. Good litttle mouser too.
Well hope everyone is well and I know we are all anxiously awaiting SPRING.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.