Plants for terrace wall

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

I have a three tier Landscape Paver wall. I want something that will cascade down the wall to soften the hardscape. It is mostly in full sun some of it is in semi-shade.
I have looked at the following plants and would like your opinion.
1. Lobelia compacta
2. Campanula carpatica
3. Aurinia saxtillis
4. Iberis sempervirens
5. Aubrieta

I am concerned the heat will be too much for the plants. I'm in zone 6 with 95* and humidity in July & August.
If you have other suggestions, I would like your input.
I have Daylilies and Russian Sage in this area.

Salem, OR(Zone 8b)

Aubrieta, rock cress, is very common here in Oregon---widely available at all of the nurseries. Probably b/c our climate is very similar to England. I have the 'Dr. Mules' variety---just put in about 20 of them (3 and 1/2 inch pots) last year on a large full sun slope. It provided me with evergreen varigated foliage year round. Deep, beautiful purple flowers for a good 6 weeks. Here, it blooms mid April through May. I have it mixed with lots of creeping phlox (pinks and purples) and Lithodora 'Grace Ward'. These all bloom at the same time. It's gorgeous. Summer groundcover roses and Nepeta Walker's Low take over in the summer. Candytuft, (Iberis) also blooms at the same time. It's common to see that these combinations all mixed together here in Oregon. The Aubrieta can get huge (my hope for mine)---like 3 foot gorgeous clumps. I water them through the summer. I don't know how they would perform with hot nights/humid weather, but they do great here. I'm very much looking forward to my slope blooming this spring, as everything has grown much larger. Pic is of the rock cress ('Dr. Mules') (last year and newly planted), so small and not all that impressive in the pic.

Thumbnail by kosk0025
Salem, OR(Zone 8b)

This is the slope I'm referencing, last March/April, that I redid. Hadn't yet installed the roses. To fill in last summer, the whole slope was later covered in wave petunias. So, so, so excited to see it this year, b/c everything is much larger. Looking at it, I guess I also have sea pink (cliff rose).....which blooms later, more like June. Sea pinks and dianthus would be good clumping flowers to add to your terraced area to get summer blooms.

Thumbnail by kosk0025
Salem, OR(Zone 8b)

Correction, pic probably taken late April or early May

Grandview, TX(Zone 8a)

birder17~ Have you considered any evergreens? This is one that I love... http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/207/ It looks great trailing over walls. It's used here a lot for that purpose.
I also love Dichondra.... http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/56847/ and/or http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/56848/ I have both of these and they grow very fast and trail beautifully.

Athens, PA

A couple of euyonomous with some clematis scrambling around them would look nice.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

I had a birthday dinner yesterday, so I am a little slow on replying. Thanks to all for suggestions.
Kosk: your groundcovers and landscaping sounds b-e-a-u-t-i-f-u-l!! That's the effect I want, but I am uncertain how the above mentioned plants will do on a hot brick terrace wall.

I really, really want flowers on my terrace wall. I hope I can come up with something that will work.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

This is my terrace. It's raining outside so it may not be real clear. Just 30 miles north of here, it is sleeting--so I am not going to complain about the rain!:^>

Thumbnail by birder17
Salem, OR(Zone 8b)

Looks fun, Birder! All of those clumping flowers would look good, and soften it up. Would be fun to try and embed some hens/chicks between the pavers, too, or scotch moss something like that. I think the plants you are interested would be okay in the heat---I see lots of people with similar terraces with those plants. We do get hot summer days, however---nights always cool to 50, even in August, so that's the big difference. I will try and remember to take some pics when I see some large examples of the aubrieta blooming around town this spring. My Iberis (candytuft) are actually already starting to bloom, I noticed the other day. I know---crazy---but we have a very prolonged spring here, which starts in Feb.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Wow!! Long Spring!! I want to move to Oregon!! Spring is my favorite season--everything looks so new and perky--such pretty colors-so many blooming bulbs, flowers, shrubs, trees.
Thank you for responding. I think I am going to try to trade some seeds for some of the above flowers or just hoop off and buy the seeds which is what I usually do.
I don't have a trade list, but I have gobs of seeds. I just need to get them listed, but it seems to take a lot of time. I get over whelmed every time I think of listing them!

Salem, OR(Zone 8b)

Yes, I do love our spring. February the rhodies and azaleas start to get going. But believe me---your tomatoes taste sweeter! Those cool nights in summer do affect our fruit sweetness, esp tomatoes.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

There's pluses and minuses everywhere.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Kosk, reviewing some of the perennial threads. If you can manage it, I would love to see your slope at the various stages and perhaps show some pictures of the Aubrieta around your area.
I bought a couple of the Aubrieta from Lowe's last spring. It was absolutely beautiful. I planted it in full sun and tried to keep it watered and alive through the summer, but it died out. I don't know if it went "dormant" and will show up again this spring, or if it just died.
I ordered Aubrieta seed to winter sow.
I also bought quite a few Iberis on the clearance rack at Lowe's in late spring last year. I sheared them back when I planted them, and they re-bloomed! Iberis is quite pretty and looks so pristine in the spring.
I believe I can get Lobelia to grow on this terrace, but it is an annual. I really don't want to re-plant each year.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

A relative of aubrieta, arabis caucausica is evergreen through my winters and spreads and trails. I don't recommend the pink "rosea" pretty as it is, because it is not strong. The white I have had for years. And it can be easily grown from seed.

At its worst, at the end of our cold winters, in March.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

April 11, same year.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

April 16, same year.

If ou keep cutting it back, it keeps blooming.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

July, still green and starting to bloom again, although very neglected.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

The blooms are gorgeous! This is mid April. It's so cheerful, blooming when few planta are.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

DM, thanks so much for posting and sharing your pictures. For some reason, I had dismissed this plant, but for the life of me, I cannot remember why. I am thinking I had read somewhere it was invasive-----whatever.
Did you grow yours from seed? or purchase it from a seller? Local? Catalog? Sorry, so many questions.
Does it go dormant in the heat of summer?
Your plant is very pretty.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

I grow it from seed. It's quite easy. And once you have it, it doesn't tend to die out. I've had two clumps for at least 8 years. I intend over and over o start more, forget to do it, and there it is!It can get scraggly if you neglect it, but cutting it back and watering it helps. It blooms better if you water it, but you can neglect it. Here is a neglected clump, in August, which is death month for many plants.

I have it in both a sunny, composted location, and a dry, neglected location. It's very tolerant.

Oh, and the tall plant next to it is pink cynoglossum. A tough, beautiful plant. The blue is lovely too. It had funny seeds that stick to you, and you end up moving it around the yard. Another plant that will come back every year, along with nicotiana, also in the picture.

I'm so glad that you like it!

Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Two more low growers to think about: 1) Saponaria ocymoides, trailer, spreads by seed a bit, can trail up to 2ft over a wall, pink, spring bloomer. 2) Dianthus deltoides "Zing" , spring, sporadically thru the season, red (which I have and is beginning to spread a bit), also pink. Just thought of another but not sure how far it would trail; Gypsophilla repens, pink and light reseeding, mine bloom heaviest in June but continue to show color the whole summer.
Donna..is that the fragrant variety of nicotiana, I grow Sensation and it is wonderfullly fragrant, just love it. Have to reseed it this spring as it's such a great evening treat, along with the hawk moths. Yummmm!

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Saponaria is a great idea!! I think I am the only person who doesn't dislike saponaria bouncing Bett, which needs to be heavily controlled in pink, less so in white (glorious).

Yes, it is the fragrant version of nicotiana. I grew lime green at one point, which is fragrant. I didn't know that Sensation was fragrant! Nicotiana is all over my yard - once you have it, you have it! Sometimes I have it in clumps alone, because it happily fills spaces.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

But it's happy to join the party anywhere in the yard, and it's better that way, because it sometimes closes during the day, although mine is more likely to stay open.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Wow! Love the picture of the sunset/horizon.
I have considered Soponariab o. but have read many times it's a re-seeder to the point of being a nuisance-so have been leery of planting this. I just can't handle something that goes crazy.
I have also looked at Dianthus d. but didn't feel it would "ramble". I have been considering it as an edging. Dianthus do really well for me. Even the six packs come back and act a perennials. I have started using them as an edging. They are very heat tolerant and don't mind my humidity. Diane's Seeds has the Dianthus d. for sale.
I haven't thought of Gpysophilla r. It's a cute flower.
Such good ideas and comments!

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

I have both varieties of saponaria 1) officinalis, 24" , mine is white and turning pink as the flowers age, yes it spreads also, love the peppery sweet fragrance. 2) ocymoides, 6", trails and yes it does reseed, no fragrance. 3) also had o. Max Frei, but I think it might have died out last summer, after that hail in July.
You might also check out some of the perenn geraniums, tho not sure how far they would hang. Another with long stems is Caliroe. And I've seen Aurinia saxatilis (Basket of Gold), used to hang over a wall. Just thought about Centranthus ruber (Red Valarian) also available in white, light sweet fragrance, best bloom in June but continues with deadheading. How 'bout Oenothara speciosa (Mexican primrose) comes in pink or white. Thinking of other goodies with floppy stems, those that mound. Thinking....got a couple more: Origanum Kent Beauty, Lysimachia nummularia, Cordydalis lutea, Penstemon pinifolius, Dianthus gratianopolitanus (I had one that got to 30" wide), Gentian, Geum c. Mrs. Bradshaw, Ratibida c., Verbena c. Homestead Purple. So there's a few that I can think that might hang over the edge of the wall, some more than others.
To those growing Iberis; there are two on the market, common sempervirens blooms in early summer only and Iberis s. "Autumn Beauty" blooms the whole summer .
There I did my homework for the night, lol.
Donna..I got my Sensation mix from T&MSeeds.com, most on the market (seeds or plants are the non fragrant varieties. I believe Select Seeds also has (might be cheaper).
I wanna go outside and work in the garden!!! lol, only 4 more months.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Warrier - isn't Select Seeds great!

I love Oregano Kent Beauty. It trails gorgeously, but it isn't hardy in my zone, so I wasn't sure it would be in yours. I have to buy it every year. There are VERY few plants I am willing to buy every year but that, Verbena Homestead Purple and Verbena Appleblossum are just about the only ones, since they bloom for months and are wonderful.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Birder, I have a natural stoney terrace in my backyard. I presume it's limestone, but not sure.
I have lots of types of thymes which do great.
It's a sunny exposure with pretty sharp drainage.
Here's a picture of some of the thyme in bloom.
Maybe it would be a consideration. There are several types to choose from.
Totally low maintenance...

This message was edited Jan 8, 2012 11:56 AM

Thumbnail by Weerobin
Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Donna ....the Kent Beauty is at my daughter's garden and they have had for years, keeps getting better, (they are at 6400ft, z5, but it is planted close to a rock which might warm the soil and is also on the west side by the house, micro-climate (?). Yes Homestead very pretty, have tried 2 years in a row and died both times even tho they say it's zone hardy, but like you will continue adding it. Haven't tried the v. appleblossom yet, will look for it.

Weer.. Pretty pix, have to get some from my daughter's. How do you clean in the spring other than brushing off old leaves? Cut back a bit? I was doing clean-up at my daughter's last spring and just seemed like a ratty mess. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Yep, placed order at Select yesterday and one at Seed Savers, won't be starting as many this year as new project begins tomorrow..kitchen remodel. Kathy.

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Kent Beauty in floral arrangement above, along with asters from the garden.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Oh, lovely!

My Oregano Kent Beauty is not in bloom here yet, but there is a peek of Homestead purple, along with double cascade petunias and heliotrope. I end up with tons of the last two because I can grow them from seed and always have extras.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Ah, here is some Appleblossum, and as you can tell it's recently deadheaded. It is evern tougher than Homestead Purple, reblooms faster and is slightly more cold hardy. If only I could grow it!!!

Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I've had no luck w/ Kent's Beauty.
I just don't think it's adapted for our muggy heat.
I love verbena and also have seen them rated hardy for my zone,
but they've never successfully overwintered.
I haven't really gotten into growing from seed,
though it obviously looks like the best approach.

As for the thyme, it's growing on a fairly inaccessable limestone outcropping.
I don't do a thing to it - no water, no deadheading or trimming.
This time of year, the dangling stems are brown.
But mid-season everything has freshened up without any assist from me.
I planted the thyme 5+ years ago and has spread nicely.
Main purpose was erosion control.
I don't have pictures of the other types,
but the intermingling of different species/cultivars looks nice.
There are some beautiful tiny ground-hugging types which make great mats.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Growing from seed is kind of a pain at first. You have to set up shop lights in your basement to make it economical, but once you have that and some cells and seedstarting mix (cheap) you can end up producung hundreds of plants for very little money, and then spread them everywhere. It actually can get a bit away from you. In this pic, everything except the oregano was grown from seed. I had extras after putting them in the ground, so they wound up in pots. A garden center near me went bust, and I ended up with lots of cobalt blue pots for about $3 each. You end up with color spring through fall.

Please tell me about the ground huggong types that make great mats. I'd love to try them.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Here's my set up.

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Pix is Salix p, Basket of Gold

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Ooooops, pix abve is Aurinia saxatilis. Duh! lol.

Pix is Dianthus grationopolitanus and to the left is Thyme

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Pix is Centranthus r. , Humulus and Geranium Rozanne

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Pix is Geum Mrs. Bradshaw

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Pix is Ratabida c.

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)