Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Perennials: Plants for terrace wall, 1 by kosk0025

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright kosk0025

In reply to: Plants for terrace wall

Forum: Perennials

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Plants for terrace wall
kosk0025 wrote:
Aubrieta, rock cress, is very common here in Oregon---widely available at all of the nurseries. Probably b/c our climate is very similar to England. I have the 'Dr. Mules' variety---just put in about 20 of them (3 and 1/2 inch pots) last year on a large full sun slope. It provided me with evergreen varigated foliage year round. Deep, beautiful purple flowers for a good 6 weeks. Here, it blooms mid April through May. I have it mixed with lots of creeping phlox (pinks and purples) and Lithodora 'Grace Ward'. These all bloom at the same time. It's gorgeous. Summer groundcover roses and Nepeta Walker's Low take over in the summer. Candytuft, (Iberis) also blooms at the same time. It's common to see that these combinations all mixed together here in Oregon. The Aubrieta can get huge (my hope for mine)---like 3 foot gorgeous clumps. I water them through the summer. I don't know how they would perform with hot nights/humid weather, but they do great here. I'm very much looking forward to my slope blooming this spring, as everything has grown much larger. Pic is of the rock cress ('Dr. Mules') (last year and newly planted), so small and not all that impressive in the pic.