2011 SPRING PLANT SWAP IN THE PARK

Royal Oak, MI(Zone 6a)

serenaski, I can be your newbie buddy for the swap! I was wanting to attend but worried about having enough plants to swap, potting them up right, knowing anyone etc. Thanks for asking your questions because now I'm more excited than worried. =)

(susie) Hastings, MI(Zone 5a)

there is nothing to worry about all we ask is that you DO NOT Pot Plants in PAPER CUPS .

If you do not have pots we ask for you to maybe save MILK Jugs You can put holes in bottom plant your plants & You can set them into a Plastic bag so you don't get dirt in your car .

there will be refreshment served if you want to get into out gift exchange Just make,or buy, a garden related gift
$5.00 or more place in a brown paper bag if will fit it is fun .

there will also be other prizes given away .

there will be extra pots there that you may take for the taken to pot up plants for the next swap .
It will not take you long to get into conversation with others trust me , shelbelle was our little fly the 1st swap
for the 1st hour maybe :))) wish i would have taken a picture of her "LITTLE" Car when she left :)
the following year I Think She Brought HUBBYS TRUCK :) Right??? Shel
same with Bizzie .

trush you all will have a great time & no time to be a fly you all will be busy as BEES Looking over what PLANTS You are going to search for . :)

if you have question please feel free to ask ,

here are some pictures from 2009 swap
http://s10.photobucket.com/albums/a129/skohler1949/FREEPORT%20PLANT%20SWAP%2009/

this is 2010 swap
http://s10.photobucket.com/albums/a129/skohler1949/FREEPORT%20PLANT%20SWAP%202010/

give you some idea as to who we are & HOW MUCH FUN WE ARE :)

Traverse City, MI(Zone 6a)

Hi Eleven, it'll be great to have a newbie buddy:-) And I am going to ask yet another silly question.

The first post mentioned a luncheon and Susie you mentioned refreshments, so should we be bringing a dish to pass? If so are there any guide-lines other than cold and easy?

My hostas are at the stage where they look like horns sticking up about 5 or 6 inches out of the ground, should I try to dig and pot some now or is it better to wait until the leaves unfurl?
(now looks convenient, but I don't want hurt them at a delicate stage---I know I should have dug them up last fall to thin and spread them)

Royal Oak, MI(Zone 6a)

Serenaski, this would be the perfect time to divide your hostas! They are much easier to handle now than when their leaves go every which way. I find that a fork lifts the plant with less damage than trying to dig them out with a shovel. Also, be mindful of the possibility of spreading HVX and sanitize your tools between dividing hostas. I will look forward to seeing you =)

as for Luncheon county heath dpt says we cannot share anything with salad dressing ,mayo or eggs into it so with that in mind what ever you want to bring & Share is fine . there is electric plug ins at the park. & Many tables we just ask that you bring a cheap TABLECLOTH To put onto the table so we do not get the tables dirty with our plants .

The tables are very long so bring a fairly long one i get the plastic ones from a $1.store so they can be thrown out if need be :)

I Agree by digging now they will do much better . I what I do when I dig my plants that i will be sharing is put them all in one spot with filter sun like the back side of my house & I spray them with a solution that I got from a jerry baker book . this you can use all season

1 c baby shampoo , cleans the plants
1 c antiseptic mouthwash kills bateria & keeps insects away
1 c tobacco tea insect do not like this mix to make the tobacco tea
place 1 handful of chewing tobacco in an old nylon soak in a gal of hot water untill dark brown

I use this mix on other plants also Get most my suplies at the $1.store except the tobacco.. I hope we will see you there .

if you have GARDENING Books You have out grown & would like to find other bring yours to trade with others
if you paint STONES OR Plaques You can trade for plants .
Whatever your hobby is or craft is bring it there just maybe some one who will love to trade for it .

Thank you both for the advice, I don't know yet what HVX is but I will be careful to clean tools while I work. Thanks also for the recipe.

Your welcome just ask someone will try to help you .

My hostas have turned into indomitable squid monsters with a kazillion thick strong grasping arms hanging onto each other and the earth for dear life, twisting and tangling within each other to form a stronghold impenetrable to not only a dinky fork and a little hand spade, but also to my trusty shovel. I have been defeated. Help!

After an hours struggle I got one clump, too big for any little four inch pot, out and potted (kind of) into a half gallon pot with barely enough room for potting soil. Is it possible for plants to become potbound while in the ground? Why have they stayed so tightly bound to each other rather than spreading out into the considerable area that they were given? Are their roots supposed to be 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick and covering a way larger and deeper area than the plant above ground? /Users/szimans/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Modified/2011/May 20, 2011/2011-05-20_17-15-19_712.jpg

This message was edited May 20, 2011 4:25 PM

oops, tried to add a picture of the mess it didn't work, sorry for the clutter.

Thumbnail by serenaski

I did a few today & I TOOK MY hose to them washed all the dirt out of them then they came appart much easier > if you have a big butcher Knief you can maybe cut into the root of them to get them pried apart.
I have been busy digging & potting & digging to ship , trying to mow the grass it is so tall from all the rain .

well off to get daddy to bed so i can get some sleep another big day tomorrow

Hi Susie,
The hose thing I did try, but I was kind of afraid to cut the roots. Thinking back, I do not know why I was afraid to hurt something that was so obviously hearty. Tomorrow morning I will pick out a long bladed kitchen knife to sacrifice to the cause. Thanks again for your help.
Serena

As long as you just make a straight cut & there is plenty of root you won't hurt them.
well off to pot up a few more this morning can you believe there is only two weeks from today & going to have a great time .

Don't forget if you want to get in on the GIFT EXCHANGE Bring a GARDENING Gift Can Be Any type of Garden decor JUst fit it into a CLOSED Paper Bag Or a Box Just so NO ONE Can get SNOOPY :)))

well much to do so you all have a great day .

Grand Rapids, MI

I think my first swap I showed up with a dozen ditch lilies in plastic grocery store bags. No one laughed—in fact they were very gracious, saying how they just LOVED ditch lilies and snatched up every one of them! It is a great group, lots of fun... and you will leave with much more than you come, it never fails. We look forward to having you! And I'm sure we can help you ID some things too.

Shel

Thanks, so far I did 10 x 4"pots of an un-named variegated hosta, and one half-gal pot with a sizable chink of the same type of hosta. I also did 2 half-gal pots of a house plant that was rumored to be a 'yucca tree', but all attempts to actually verify that have failed. It's getting close but I was considering putting a couple guys that someone told me were 'golden globe', and some weird little sedum type guys that are really cute but might be a weed. I am on a learning mission.

I never realized how many recipes I have that contain eggs, at first I thought no mayo, no salad dressing, no problem I'll take something sweet. Then it became apparent to me that without chickens there can be no cake, all hail the laying hens.

Tomorrow is errand day, so I'll hit the dollar store and Tractor Supply. Does anyone know if that park is dog friendly? With travel time my day will be a bit long to leave my corgi home, so I need to either get the neighbor girl to babysit or bring my corgi-girl with me.

I Honestly do not know about dog friendly for it is a PINIC Area & Play Grounds for Kids it is not really very big so if you can get a sitter it might be less problem for you if you can get a sitter so you can enjoy your day with us :)

CAKES , Brownies, Cookies, all are ok anything baked with eggs or mayo is fine , it is just anything that has to be kept cold is what they frown on you can bring cold salad if it is kept on ice , anything that is hot as long as you can keep it hot in a crock pot ,

this is going to be a great swap can hardly wait to meet all you new ones I have to go raid my friends garden tomorrow for you beginners :) She is moving & Has to find homes for her plants so i will be bringing many with me .

well off to get super back later .
susie

Royal Oak, MI(Zone 6a)

deejay, I'm sorry to hear the news about your friend leaving her plants behind!

I remember reading somewhere to post if you have any particular wants. I'm mostly on the lookout for:
Indian Pink
Lungwort 'Mrs. Moon'
Primroses (other than the bright yellow cowslip)
Any hosta I don't have
Lots of Sweet Woodruff. (The squirrels ate my last trade for it. This try, I will house it in a cage until it takes root!)

So far I have:
Hosta 'Golden Tiara' x3
Hosta 'Night Before Christmas' x1
Some kind of barberry x1
Evening Primrose x4

And considering the following, but not sure if there would be interest:
Black Cohosh
Canadian Columbine
Canadian Wild Ginger
Dwarf Crested Iris
Geranium maculatum
Lysimachia ciliata 'Firecracker'
Noid Ferns
Phlox stolonifera

I just barely started potting things up here and keep second guessing myself. Oops.

I Think i have Mrs Moon Lungwort I can share with you .
INDIAN PINK WHAT Is That ????
I Have a few Primrose red & yellow do not know their names will try to get pictures in case blooms are gone.
I have many Hostas but to tell you names I cannot a gal shared with me a few years back they all had name tags
but names faded off over the years .
I will have many Named DWARF IRISES & SOME tall Bearded Hope in Bloom . I Have also a Missiour Primrose
that is just so Pretty when they bloom .

I would like to find more MUM"S , Asters BLUE ONLY , newer conflowers , white bee balm ,
Rhododendron & Azalea , dwarf sea Thrift s any colors , dianthus REDS & White.

well daddy is up & i have his BKF Ready so you all Keep potting up chat later great day to play outside :)
susie

Royal Oak, MI(Zone 6a)

Indian Pink - Spigelia marilandica
A lovely native plant that I think would grow well in my shade =)
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/48891/

And my Evening Primrose is similar to the Missouri Primrose, but it was tentatively identified as Oenothera fruticosa subsp. glauca http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1127/

that is the primrose i have it is so pretty but it dose spread I Have had to dig a trench around it so it will not go into my irises or daylilies ") but the clump is just beautyful.

Love the marilandica very nice maybe save me one :) I Have PG Hydrangeas
, Duetzia http://www.bhg.com/gardening/plant-dictionary/shrub/deutzia/

& a couple young Hardy gardenia frost proof

OK I Just Heard on the news that there are chances of slight showers but sounds as they are going to be more NORTH Of Grand Rapid .

Let me just say when they say chances of rain we usually do not get it so i hope that many of you will not let the weather scare you off we are all under a Great shelter & It will be warm FRIENDLY & SO MUCH FUN
RAIN OR SHINE I Have some really Nice DOOR PRIZES My Trailer & Back of my car will be Loaded tonight

I will do my best to get back in here tonight Have so much to do today & take daddy to his dr apt,
SO chat later .

susie

Hi Everyone,

My car was down for the past week and I thought for a bit that I would not be able to make it down there, but I got my car back and in running order this evening. I will be driving down from Traverse City and have never been to Freeport before. When I stuck Main Street, Freeport MI into google maps it gave me Freeport but no Main Street. So far it basically says US-131 to I-96 to M-50 to Freeport Ave. to 108th St. to State St. to Division St.. Does anyone have any suggestions from there?

Thanks,
Serena (231)499-0343 ... this is my cell , if you don't see me by 10am that means I am lost somewhere in or around Freeport :-)

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Oh please post pictures as I will live through them.

We moved away from Cleveland and now live in the south so I guess I will never get to meet yall or partake of any wonderful plants.

It just about killed me to say good bye to three hard years of planting and developing a garden at the house we had. Now I'm looking to start over but since it is a HUGE difference in the types of plants for here it will be a while before I have any plants.

So don't forget those of us who aren't able to come, as we live through your pictures.

Hope tomorrow is the perfect weather day for everyone to have a great time.

Jan

Susie, Thanks so much for the directions, see you tomorrow.

trust me going to be a great day I'm Packed Was going to post a picture but it is time for me to lay up for the long day tomorrow can hardly wait to meet & Greet many of you . yes i have my camera
susie

your welcome can hardly wait
good nite all

Royal Oak, MI(Zone 6a)

I'm really sad to miss going tomorrow =( I have allergy testing scheduled Tuesday, so no antihistamines in over a week. After tonight, I can't even take Benadryl. But I barely survived this week in my cubicle at work, so spending a day outside a couple hours from home is probably a really bad idea. I haven't even been able to water my garden or plant anything new in the ground.

Here's to hoping there's another swap in the fall (Ronna said there usually is). Serena, I hope you enjoy yourself enough for the both of us =)

Shawna

well up & Ready I Have a few more plants to get dug up so off the the great out door i will be leaving here as soon as my sister gets here at 8:30 some shopping to do also . Can hardly wait to meet you all.

Eleven I'm so sorry you can't make it I also have allergies I was to go in also this tuesday for testing but i just cancled
& Live with them there are just to many drugs out there that will Kill you anyway just ask my Niece who almost died THURSDAY Night from the meds her doctor put her on she came out of acoma last night at 5;30 pm & NOW Is out of danger, at my age Gardening is my drug of choice ,even with plugged nose,drippy eyes .

well see many of you out at the park it is a clear day so far here & i see no rain clouds at all :))))

Hi Everyone,

I had a wonderful time today at the swap, and came away with a lot of great plants. The drive down and back went quicker each way than I thought, I was home at 5:20pm. I put all my new green friends in a nice shady spot and gave them a big drink of water then came in and did the same for myself (house has ac but the car doesn't). It was such a pleasure to meet everyone, hopefully the rule holds true : merrily we met, and merrily we did part, so merrily we shall meet again.

Thanks so much to everyone for your kindness and generosity,
Serena

GM All sorry about not posting last night But just so tired out after such a rushed Busy week & Daddy wants me to go get our groceries this morning so when i get back i will tell you so much more along with post the pictures . will be back soon MID Morning hope if all gose well
Serena It was a HUGE Pleasure Meeting you & So Happy you was able to Join us :)
back soon
susie

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

waiting on the edge of my seat....LOL

Jan

WAIT IS OVER & WHEN YOU ALL SEE THE PLANTS YOU PAST UP YOU ARE GOING TO BE SO SO MAD AT YOURSELF IT WAS A BEAUTIFUL DAY , GOOD EATS , LOTSA TREATS, LOTSA DRINKS :) &MOST OF ALL
BEST OF PLANTS & FRIENDSHIP.

WELL 1ST TO ARRIVE WAS MYSELF SO I GOT 1ST PICK OF THE TABLES :)

Thumbnail by deejay9

COULDN'T GET MYSELF & ALL MY PLANTS IN SO HERE ARE MY TWO TABLE OF PLANTS :)
GUESS I FORGOT TO TAKE THE PICTURE OF THE GIFT EXCHANGE TABLE BUT WAIT SEE WHAT MY GIFT WAS :)

Thumbnail by deejay9

SORRY FOR THE SPOTS THINK ONE OF MY KITTEN'S WALKED OVER THE FROG AFTER IT ATE ITS DINNER & FORGOT TO WASH HIS PAWS :) BUT A HUGE THANK YOU TO KRISS & LEANN FOR THE CATERPILLAR & THEY ALSO MAKE THESE GREAT FROGS & I JUST HAD TO HAVE ONE WOULD HAVE TAKEN TWO IF I HAD KNOWN IT WAS OK :))) & EXCHANGES FOR PLANTS BUT I DIDN'T WANT THEM TO THINK I WAS GREEDY :)

ARN;T THE CUTEST NO ONE WANTED THE BIG HEAVY BOX & IT WAS THE LAST TO BE PICKED SO IT WENT TO ME & I'AM SO PLEASED :)

OK ENOUGH OF ME NOW FOR ALL THE OTHER GREAT SWAPPERS .

Thumbnail by deejay9

#2 TO ARRIVE WAS SERENA FROM TRAVERSE CITY SHE CAME THE FARTHEST & I DO WISH I HAD AN EXTRA GIFT JUST FOR HER
SHE WAS ONE OF OUR NEWEST MEMBERS TO THE SWAP & SURE SHE WE BE BACK :) IF GODS WILLING .
WELCOME SERENA & HUGE THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR HELP :) MAYBE YOU CAN SHOW OR TELL THE GIFT YOU RECIEVED AS A DOOR PRIZE .

Thumbnail by deejay9

3RD TO ARRIVE WAS KRISS & LEANN FROM SAND LAKE AREA :
YOU ALL MISS SOME REALLY NICE PLANTS FOR THEY HAD THREE TABLES FULL TO SHARE

This message was edited Jun 6, 2011 9:54 AM

Thumbnail by deejay9

PIC #2 OF THEM

Thumbnail by deejay9

#4 WAS A FRIEND & CLASS MATE OF MINE YEARS BACK :) CAROL

Thumbnail by deejay9

#5 WAS SHELBELLE :) & HER NIECE & SORRY SHEL KNOW ONE WROTE HER NAME DOWN & I FORGOT HER NAME SURE HAPPY SHE CAME :) GIVE HER OUR BEST .

Thumbnail by deejay9

#6 IS A LADY NOT FAR FROM ME DOWN BY BRISTAL CORNORS WHO CAME TO MY GARAGE SALE THIS WEEK & WAS HAPPY TO COME TRADE PLANTS WITH US SHE HAS JUST RETIRED BUT IS NOT ON THE COMPUTOR BUT MAYBE IF SHE HANGS WITH ME LONG ENOUGH :)
THIS IS BRENDA ANOTHER NEWBIE

Thumbnail by deejay9

OK LADY IN BLACK & WHITE IS DEB ANOTHER NEWBIE THERE IN TOWN WHO HAD SEEN THE POSTERS & JUST HAD TO COME SEE WHAT WE WERE ABOUT & BOY WAS SHE HAPPY SHE DID :)
ANOTHER HAPPY GARDENER:)

LADY WITH DEB IS ROSEMARY SHE couldn"t swap this time for she had to go with her HUBBY he is a very talented sculpter of garden art &puts them on display . will share with you later after i find their site :)

Thumbnail by deejay9

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.