Fairy gardens???

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Anyone on MA do fairy gardens???

I'm currently planning a fairy garden, my daughter actually want to do one.

I'm going to become addicted though....look at this adorable stuff!!!!!
http://www.twogreenthumbs.com/

Thumbnail by flowAjen
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

and there's a tiny garden forum
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/tinygardens/all/

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

No I don't have one but I would love to see how your develops.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Jen--

Do you consider Gnomes as legal residents in a fairy garden????
To scale--of course. I LOVE Gnomes--I have 3 books on them.
It is silly and frivolous--reading all the "serious" facts of their lifestyles.

The books I have are quite old--publication wise.....I am sure they are all out of print....

Just asking......

Here is the first book.

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

And here is the second book....

They are full of silly nonsense--that seems SO real!
I have done a lot of crafts with the Gnome topic....

Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

Jen, I'll be looking forward to your progress.

There is a picture I took in 2009

Thumbnail by ladygardener1

And for Gita.

It's not Fairy like, but I think it fits in pretty well.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I'm not a gnome fan, but gotta admit this is stinkin' cute....
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=6865359

but it def counts in a fairy garden when done to scale

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I was thinking of getting a toad house, also

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Jen, I was browsing the sale items on Collections Etc. this morning picking up a few after Christmas specials for next year and I wandered over into the Garden Area. They have some really nice Fairy Garden things. I have been pretty pleased with the items I have ordered from them. Here are a couple that I liked.
I thought this Flower Shop planter was cute and might be a nice addition to a fairy garden .
http://www.collectionsetc.com/popup_lgview.aspx?img=xlarge_16836.jpg
Fairy Toad House
http://www.collectionsetc.com/Product/fairy-toad-house-statue.aspx/_/N-41y8
Some Fairies
http://www.collectionsetc.com/Product/indoor-and-outdoor-garden-fairy-statue-set-of-2.aspx/_/N-41y8
I really liked these lighted fairy stones.
http://www.collectionsetc.com/Product/lighted-fairy-stones-garden-stakes.aspx/_/N-41y8

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

LOL....these????

Thumbnail by flowAjen
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

LOL Yes what did you think of the lighted fairy rocks?

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

The lighted ones are cute but won't work where I'm putting the garden, no outlet anywhere near it.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Look at the fence I made for the fairy garden...made from clothes pins and floral wire

Thumbnail by flowAjen
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

That turned out really nicely. I was looking at miniature plants today at the local Garden Expo. They were dwarf conifers really nice. The Nursery that had the display is about an hours drive. Might make a nice afternoons drive to go check them out a bit more.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

from the Rutgers table at springfest 2008

Thumbnail by onewish1
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

one more

Thumbnail by onewish1
Crozet, VA

Youse guys!!!! Something else for me to pine after. I love fairies and the idea of a fairy garden sounds like a lot of fun. Good idea Jen. Chris, looks as though you have a head start on us. Holly, I have bought from Collections in the past and been happy with their wares also. I hadn't thought of them for a while and now you have reminded me that they too are a company that I tend to go overboard with while shopping. I won't even mention the many unopened boxes of things from that company that are still in my shed. Back when the money flow was better here, I had so much stuff coming in that I couldn't keep up with opening all the packages, so off to the shed they went.

In reality, they are things for future projects, so not really a waste I suppose. I know that I have lots of solar lights that will eventually go around the edges of the very long awaited walkway. Yep, Collections must have loved me there for a while.

When first moving to this house and inheriting belongings from my folks one of the cool finds was two elves that I can remember my mother sitting out each Christmas. I have had them sitting on top of my microwave for some years now. Whenever I stop to look at them, they bring a smile to my lips. Sooooo cute.

Great topic Jen. Please continue to show further work as it gets done. How old is your daughter? Maybe my almost four year old grand daughter would be interested in doing something along these lines.

Ruby

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

oohh I have tons of stuff from Collections .. and just a reminder of the basket I made at well sweep... have to update the dried flowers.. all that purple is gone now

Thumbnail by onewish1
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Oh yes something else to create and dream about. I have a small glass terrarium house that I have been trying to decide what I want to put in it. A mini succulent garden, maybe tropicals, do I want some kind of miniature scene or fairy garden. Not really sure yet but I am sure I will find some inspiration at the Phila Flower Show in a couple of weeks. I will post a pic of it later.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

That is really nice. love the cock's comb tucked into the side of the basket. Whole thing is so cute. Did they supply most of the material or did you take things with you?

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

here is the one Michele made

Thumbnail by onewish1
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

they supplied everything including the basket and fairy... and they dry the flowers to sell in the shop there... the cockscomb is really the only thing that still has color.. the rest is looking kind of gray ... the workshop was $40.00 and we were there for 2 hours.. time flew by though

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Ruby my daughter is 4 also.

Holly I just saw a bunch of those dwarf conifers...somewhere....oh yeah Klehm's Sparrow.....This really is going to be addicting....

http://www.songsparrow.com/2011/plantlist.cfm?type=WOODY,&startrow=1&pageType=plantlist&subtype=junior,

I think I'll be building on this garden for years and create an entire fairy village
Saw these little mushrooms stakes in Target today, they wanted $3.50 a piece...geez louise...shouldn't have been more than $1.50...I wonder if Christmas Tree Stores carries stuff like that???? hmmmm ....time to go shopping

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

yes they do Jen!!!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Jen, They have some very nice plants.
The Nursery that was at the show with the mini conifers is Valley View Nursery in Shippensburg, Pa. I have a phone# but their card does not list a website. We are going to another local flower show next weekend and there is a good chance that they might be at that show as well. Maybe I can get more info and prices for you. Most of what they had was priced at about $15. I think Ric and I will probably go down there sometime this spring to check it.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Oh boy!!!! spent some more $ on some cute decor for my fairy village
I don't want to tell you what I got,( a couple of fun surprises) I'll take pics when I get everything in place

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Ok so ta da.....here they are...planted everything out on Saturday, of course, these will grow and expand over time

This is the larger scale fairy garden

Thumbnail by flowAjen
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

other half

Thumbnail by flowAjen
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

the smaller scale fairy garden on other side of house(I did finish off the rock border on the left)

Thumbnail by flowAjen
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

close ups

Thumbnail by flowAjen
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

house

Thumbnail by flowAjen
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Geranium Shepherd's Warning already blooming

Thumbnail by flowAjen
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

broken shell path

Thumbnail by flowAjen
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

and this is for my biker trash fairies...I have BIG plans for this side of fairy town

Thumbnail by flowAjen
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Jen It looks really good. I was wondering if you would like a small piece of my reticulated iris for your Fairy Garden?

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Ooooo, ok...I LOVE reticulated Irises, thanks!!!!
I got this little guy from Bluestone, 'Cristata'

Thumbnail by flowAjen
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

That Cristata is a dwarf crested

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I'll bring you some to the swap. My clump is getting large enough to share a little. Now I just need to find a few more varieties.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.