what's wrong with this plant? second plant

Auburn, MA(Zone 5b)

This is the second plant that this has happened to. I think it's a palm, but I'm hoping someone will be able to tell what it really is from the pic. It comes home and turns brown. The first one was repotted about a week after it came home.....I figured it was root-bound. I just used regular potting soil, Miracle Gro, I think. But it turned brown. Tried another one, nice and healthy in the store, brought it home and this time it wasn't repotted, but the same thing happened. First one frond turns brown, then another, then the whole thing goes. It wasn't bought at a greenhouse, so there are no instructions on it. They both got indirect, bright light. The first one was watered, this one hasn't really been watered much yet. Since I'm not sure what it's actually called, I can't tell if it's supposed to be dry or damp, direct light or no light. Anybody know what's going on?

Thanks for anything you can tell me....

Thumbnail by merryma
Keaau, HI

Did the palm get exposed to cold air?

Auburn, MA(Zone 5b)

they did, but only for about five minutes at a time. From the store to the car and into the house. I know it's tropical, but would it be that sensitive? I did find out it's a Majesty Palm. I appreciate the help on this. I don't want to end up with another one if it's just going to happen again.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.