Cannas from seed 2011

cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

canna's can take the odd freezing, i would dig them up and take any black or mushy parts off, hopefully if they were big enough you will have some good part left. You might luck out and the ground didn't freeze and they then would be ok. Although they are hardy to places that freeze its just the freeze, unfreeze, then freeze again that hurts them where we live.. I would dig them up to check them, you can always plant them again..

CRIT do you have elephant ears?? if so how do those do in the clay??

Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK(Zone 7a)

I do have elephant ears. I only had 1 planted in the clay, and it too was in the partial shade garden. It did 'ok' ....... not really sure it was all the way up to par on what it should of been.

cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

Well i can deal with ok.. I just want it to grow.. I dont mind adding the odd soil mixture to plants if need be. I just dont want to do it if that plant will grow fine without, no need to waste money. I will probably plant my ears in pots in the ground anyways. Thats what i do here and find it easier to bring them in for winter that way. Since i believe there i will have to do the same with my ears, however for a shorter time. I might let them grow in the house for a few months instead of letting them go dormant. I have kept my upright alive all winter, the leaves are getting smaller and smaller as the weeks go by, but still growing strong. I'll have to chop it for spring or they will all just burn. I find here ears grow better in full sun, but not sure about down there as the sun is stronger. I know they say there a shade plant, and if i dont keep them well watered they tend to burn. But enough about ears this is a canna forum lol.

have planted cannas in shade and they only grow th half the height as the ones in the sun, and hardly flower if at all.. I'm sad that i'm pretty much loosing this growning season, but excited about all to come

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

I dug a canna out of the pots I had out doors and the root was showing growth so YEAH! Maybe all 26 survived? Dont know until the fat canna sprouts! LOL!

Im just wondernig how soon I can move the indoor ones out doors... I woudl think the leaves on them would take a frosty hit since they are over a foot tall. I think I will try to be patient and leave them inside for a few weeks yet.

cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

A light frost they might be ok, but in the fall once a frost hits the leaves turn brown and by the second frost there all brown. This is when you need to get them out of the ground, but in spring i dont know how it would work.. I plant mine outside alone with my seeds. When ever its safe for seeds, your roots will be just fine to.

Calgary, Canada

Smurf: the Banana Canna seeds you sent have sprouted!
I can not plant them out until end of May/begin June, but they are coming along.
Thank you!

How do I know whether a canna is a Water Canna or not? Or are all cannas water plants?

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Good question! Perhaps it is answered in plant files??

cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

CLS thats great!!! I will miss them this year as i wont be planting much this season with the move.. It really is my favorite canna for leaves.

I know there are some that are considered "AQUATIC CANNAS" however i have heard of people placing just random cannas in a pot with dirt then in a pond and they do fine.. Cannas need lots of water and are suited for high moisture areas, i would think all can be placed in a pot then in water.. I also on the other hand have aquatic cannas and they grow right beside my other cannas in just pain soil, and i dont water them anymore then the others and they do well there too.. Then again i'm in canada so its not overly hot/dry as it would be in say florida.. From my experiences with gardening i have found just try anything you think is possible, worst case is the plant dies.. If you have a few roots or a few seeds of one kind, try one in the water and the rest in soil.. If it works and they do great, then you have options for next year..

Calgary, Canada

Good plan---to try different things with those I have several.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.