Spring Round Up, Anyone?

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

DH and I are willing to host the next RU, but we know we aren't centrally located, being in Southern CA. So I'm starting this thread to explore options.
DH wanted to have the RU underneath Grandmother Oak tree.
We have lots of parking and even room for anyone who wants to camp out in a tent or RV. We have several large picnic tables out there and a fire ring too. We even have electricity out there and plan on bringing in a porta potty for the event if it is held here. I've posted photos before, on various threads, but the Daily Walks thread has a lot of good photos of our farm and some of the things you can expect to find out here.
The topic is open for discussion, and I hope to hear from anyone who is interested in hosting, and or attending the Round Up.
Photo is from last years RU here, under the walnut tree in my yard. See anyone you recognize? : - )
So, what say you?
Walk In Beauty~
SingingWolf

PS: This thread has gotten so long that I started a new one. Come join us at:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1168366/
WIB~
SW

This message was edited Mar 29, 2011 12:00 PM

Thumbnail by SingingWolf

Lots of interest in attending, but no interest whatsoever in hosting. I nominate SW.

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

shermie,
You don't need to wait til RU, and I have White Sage seeds that we need to plant, toot suite!
Okay all you lurkers and posters, and Newbies too, we got to start working on this so we can set a date, which is also up for discussion, maybe early April. Need input! Don't be shy, no reason to be shy. : - )
I'll give you all a few days to think about it, and post your thoughts.
WIB!
SW

well, Easter is april 24th, so that would not be good for me.

Hemet, CA(Zone 9b)

We are there Jules, whenever. Under the grandma oak sounds wonderful.
Love yas,
Sylvia

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Perhaps earlier in the month of April will work for most everyone?
LMK!
WIB~
SW

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

I'm there any weekend but the weekend the 16th...Emma's 2nd birthday!

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

I think this is a swell idea. I hope that is comes true and Marie and I , we will see all of you.

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

You know, it would really be helpful to hear from more people.
If I've offended anyone, I'd like to know. I'm not trying to take over or step on any one's toes, but I would like some feed back from the rest of you.
I hope Marie is well enough to travel, Rodica, and no matter where it is held, we won't step on darling Emma's Birthday, weegy. : - )
Anyone, else?
BTW, I heard through the DG Grapevine that our Jo, the RoadRunner has a broken wrist.
: - (
You might want to check in on the prayer forum or write her a dmail.
Thanks to all of you, I'm sure it will cheer her up. : - )
WIB,
SW

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Thank you Jules. I'll wish Jo the best.

Lake Forest, CA(Zone 9b)

I'm a "newbie" (at 53, hard to be a newbie at anything!) Anyway, am very interested in your roundup; I think it is incredibly generous that you are interested in hosting it! Where can I go to read more about it? Most anytime in April is good for me...I've been gardening for a long time; find it endlessly interesting!

Thumbnail by momandmore
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Hello momandmore! Welcome, looking forward to meeting you at the RU. You'll have a great time. I hope more people respond to Jules' invitation, it's very nice of her to offer to host it again.
Whatever you need Jules, I'm here.

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

I'd like to take a moment to thank Terry in Admin for making this a sticky for us.
I guess I'm going to continue with the lead on this, because I care about what Dave's Garden has always stood for. A meeting place for like minded people with the same interests to gather, and share a good meal, their knowledge, plants, and best of all for most is the comraderie (sp?).
I'll take shermie's post as a nomination, and dillansnana's as a 2nd. Since I haven't heard any other options, and it isn't too late, but we do have to set a date. People got plans to make.
I'd really like to suggest, one date in March and 2 dates in early April for the 2011 Round Up.
The first date is Saturday, March 26th.
The 2nd date is Saturday, April 2nd.
The 3rd is Saturday, April 9th.
Now on the off chance it should rain on any of those days we'll go inside the Bee Barn for our Round Up. Just wanted you to know.
I know many of our Members are interested in vegetable gardening and will ask a friend who works the Farmer's Markets round here if he would be interested in coming to give us all a talk. All of his stuff is planted in raised planters. : - )
Don't know if he'll do it, but I'm going to ask him. DH's Family Motto is, "It never hurts to ask."
Because we all have busy schedules, I'd really like to have a firm answer about which date will suit the most people by the end of February.
Then we can start threads about plant trades and what to bring to the potluck. Hopefully having the Round Up in late March/early April we'll be able to get some plants well established this spring. : - )
Please post what date works for you, and let's combine how many will be attending with you on this thread. Keeping it simple for me. I can go back in and edit a list, so we all know who all will be able to attend. For those of you who can't due to your health, or work schedules, you will be with us in spirit. : - )
Okay, I'll let you all run with it now, all three of those dates are not as yet booked for anything, but I should warn you that the Cub Scouts usually come out in April for their Annual play day. Note to self, get photos of canoe race this year! LOL!
WIB~
SW

Hemet, CA(Zone 9b)

Welcome, welcome, nomandmore
Our roundups are truly memorable occasions. Once you come to one you will be hooked. Plants to share, lots of wonderful food, best of all to meet and :"bond:" with great DG friends.
Jules......I feel certain more DG'rs will come out of the "woodwork" once a date is set. Your place is so wonderful to have it with so much interesting stuff to see.
Love ya, Sylvia

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

So commit Sylvia, what date works for you? : - )
WIB,
SW

well, i am going to jump in and say the later the better, for me, just because i would have more started plants to bring.

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

April 9th sounds good to me.

North Fork, CA(Zone 7b)

Sounds good to me, too. That's a good time because my son's birthday is the next day and he has my grandchild, don't cha know. Any excuse to come see her is fine. Three birds...

Thanks SW for hostessing.

Thumbnail by suewylan
Hemet, CA(Zone 9b)

April 9th is good for us.

(Pegi) Norwalk, CA(Zone 10b)

How did I miss this thread! We are ready to come at any time, and under the Grandma Oak tree sounds wonderful. There DH and I am in the foreground of your picture SW.

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Yea!!!!

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Okay, I'm going to put it in the book for April 9th.
Welcome to Momandmore, I've been remiss in welcoming you. Mainly because your post only showed up today, which is weird, but I do that to electronics.
You can go to the Round Up Forum and find photos and comments from our last RU here. DH and I enjoyed it very much, and we don't mind hosting it. : - )
Everyone pitched in and I hardly had to do anything, except show people where the electrical outlets were, and find some silverware. LOL!
Even the clean up was mostly done before people left. Thanks for everyone who pitched in and helped out, it made it a lot more fun for me.
Samigal, I was hoping that you'd see yourself in that photo. I don't know why you didn't see the thread sooner. Maybe the same glitch that prevented me from seeing MomandMore's post? Maybe you were actually able to get out in the garden?
Doesn't matter, I'm glad you found it and want to attend. : - )
DH and I will be leaving for a few weeks on a much needed vacation. You'll be hearing from me, though, because they have computer access and I'm taking my laptop.
I'm glad more folks are chiming in. : - )
WIB~
SW

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

I'm going to use this post to list the folks who will be attending. For the sake of keeping it simple I'll use your user name, followed by the number of people you'll be bringing.

SingingWolf - 4
weegy12 - 2? (is your Mom coming? She was fun! : - ) )
sherman99 - 1 (?)
dillansnana - 2
suewylan - 2 (?) (Great photo of DGD! Love her wings, and eyes!)
Samigal - 2
Rodicap - 1 (if the date works, and hotel Weegy is open, LOL!)
Marie -1 (if her health and the date works, still praying for you!)
gr8cayte - 6 (Family fun!)
Mombird - 1 (?)
WormsLuvSharon - 1 + (?)
Wendallyn - 4
justpeaches - 1
SoCal - 2 (if health permits)
QuiltyGirl - 2 (I thought you were already on it.)
JDTaglish - 5 (family fun!)

I will add or edit as necessary. We are also allowed to invite our gardening friends that are not DG members, but are interested in hanging out with us. I do believe that some of our friends who are no longer members will also be coming if they can make the date. : - )
I'm looking forward to seeing everyone again, and meeting those I haven't yet met.
You can let me know on this thread or by dmail if you will be attending and how many people you'll be bringing.
Thanks everyone, for all your help! : - )

Walk In Beauty~
SingingWolf

This message was edited Feb 7, 2011 5:11 PM

This message was edited Feb 14, 2011 8:59 AM

This message was edited Feb 14, 2011 9:15 AM

This message was edited Feb 26, 2011 3:21 PM

This message was edited Feb 28, 2011 7:24 PM

This message was edited Mar 16, 2011 10:58 AM

This message was edited Mar 26, 2011 12:17 PM

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Round Rock, TX(Zone 8b)

Hi SW and everyone else. April 9th is good for us too but we are flexible on the date if it needs to change. I'm so excited! I loved last years RU! ^_^

I guess now's as good time as any to tell my CA garden peeps that this will be our last RU in CA as we are moving to TX in May.

BUT that means I will be bringing a bunch of plants from my yard that will need new homes. Knowing they will be going to good homes will make it much easier to part with them. ^_^

So count us in and I will help with anything you need me to do.

Yay!

Heather
Oh and that's me standing, wearing the purple shirt talking to Samigal. That's my (then 12 year old) son in the turquoise sweatshirt.

Dana Point, CA(Zone 10b)

Would love to come! Please keep me posted. I'm in dana point. Have wanted to come to one of these for a couple of years!
Melody

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Heather,
I am glad to hear from you. It's been a while. I was wondering if you'd see yourself in the photo I posted from last years' RU. : - )
Will the kids be joining us again this year? BTW, I am now hooked on Chocolate Milk. You enabler, you! LOL! : - )
I'm so sad to hear you are moving to TX, you will be missed. : - (
Half of my family lives there, do you know yet where you'll be going to live at in TX?
Lots of really nice folks on DG in TX will be happy to help you start your new garden. : - )

Welcome Mombird, Melody. Please let me know how many will be joining us in your party.
Dana Pt. is just down the road or up over the Ortega's depending on which way you come from us, and I'm a zone pusher. : - )
I have a lot of tropical plants and need to make a list of what I have to trade.
I guess I'll be working on that the next couple of weeks.
So far everyone seems to like the 9th of April, for the RU,but that's still tentative. If you can, you should plan on attending. Please remind your friends on DG that we need to get the RU date set. Then we'll get the food and plant threads up. : - )
Thanks for the help, everyone. : - )
Walk In Beauty!
SingingWolf

Round Rock, TX(Zone 8b)

We'll be in the Round Rock area we're thinking. Somewhere north of Austin at any rate. I've traded with DGers from TX in years past and have already sought out help on the ins and outs of moving with plants from some of them.

If the RU stays on the 9th or moves to the next weekend all six of us will be there. If it's changed to the 4th Saturday (of any month) my DH will be teaching a HAM radio class which most of my kids will be helping with so it will only be me attending the RU. But D is already planning on swimming in your pool. ^-^

And I know we don't have a food list yet but I'll bring the chocolate milk again. I'm going to have to source some chocolate milk in TX as soon as we get there. Or see if DeJong's ships. ^_^

DeJongs choc. milk, heck even their regular milk, is the best !

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

HI I want to come but not sure if I will be able to or not.

Heather why is this your last round up in Ca? You can always catch a flight out to Ca that way we will not be with out you!! ( That was the best chocolate milk ever by the way)

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Marie, I already got you down, and if you can't come, we'll send you back a care package with Rodica, okay? We mostly want for you to get better! : - )
So glad to see you post on-line. I have been getting reports from Rodica, on how you've been doing. GF, You need a vacation, and I know a bunch of cool people for you to hang out with.
Got to run for now.
~Hugs~
WIB~
SW

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

I like April 9th and I am going to make it this year. My DH has a new sport car, 370Z. I could zoom over in that but I would not have much room for plants. So I will probably bring the big SUV. DH has been doing better since he had the pace maker implanted but still has a balance problem.

I am like everyone else, I am always pushing my zone. Sometimes I am pleasantly surprised.

I have many plants to bring.

And I could bring tamales. I have a source for authentic, to die for, tamales. That is if you like tamales. Just let me know. I will fit something into the menu.

LA/Orange County, CA(Zone 10a)

Hi there, I'd love to come, I haven't been very active with my garden since last fall but I'd love to meet all you garden lovers. Are kids welcome? My 2 girls are 10 and 11 (will be 10 and 12 in April) and enjoy gardening as well- plus my spouse would make 4 of us.

It would be so nice to get out of the suburbs and see some beautiful scenery!

I don't really know what to expect though, are we supposed to start some seedlings and bring them? or whatever's growing wild on the side of the house? ;-) (it's pretty whatever it is- large green leaves blue flowers- I'll have to post a pic and ask!)

thanks SingingWolf for the warm welcome to all!

- Wendallyn

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Sharon, you're really going to come to the RU? Yippee! I like tamales. I am missing Mexican food right now. DH is loving all the Asian cuisine. My tummy isn't appreciating most of it though.
We are having a great time and the weather is so nice. I hardly hurt, even the cankles I developed on the trip out to Kuala Lumpur are going away. We are in Phuket, Thailand, right now, and will be returning to Kuala Lumpur on Thursday. Now if I can only convince my hosts that I need my naps. I'm up before the sun most days, although it's hard to tell with the cloud cover. But the birdsongs wake me up. : - )
Hope your DH is feeling better now, Sharon. Seems to be going around. MIL and one of my Uncles had to have pacemakers installed about two weeks ago. Keeping 'em all in my prayers. Will you be bringing your DH with you Sharon? LMK, okay?
I'll be starting a food thread when I get back on the 23rd. Knowing me though, it'll probably be the 24th.
Seems like most people are liking the 9th of April for the RU. Is this going to work for the majority of those folks wishing to attend? Please let me know, if it isn't going to work for you.
Missing you all! : - )
WIB~
SW

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Wendallyn,
Sorry we cross posted. I'm not used to the time difference here, and don't have a clue what time it is at home.
Yes, you and your family are more than welcome to join us. Kids are always welcome! The more the merrier! : - )
Thank you too, for letting me know how many you'll be bringing.
Don't worry much about the plants. Some people bring seedlings or extras taken from their gardens, and don't forget seeds. You really don't have to bring anything but yourselves, and maybe something for the pot luck. Even if you arrive empty handed, you'll be taking something or three home. : - )
I'll be starting a plant trade thread for the RU when I get home too.
So glad you can join us Wendallyn!
WIB,
SW

Crossville, TN

Well....looks like I will miss this one. I LOVE Grandmother Oak!!! All these new folks that I will miss meeting...arrrggg.

I have my cast off and cen type with both hands again...not any better though. LOL

I start therapy soon...which I dread. Melody's Healing Fudge shipment was a big help, but is getting very low right now. I have lost 10 pounds but will put it backon I'm sure.

Ya'll have fun. Jo

No Central, AZ(Zone 7b)

SW, I issed this too. I get complacent and only check/read the threads I am participating in and forget to check for new ones. Then when I think everyone has crawled under a rock, I go to the California Forum (or Tomatoes, etc) and find out it was me under the rock. April 9th looks good. Thank You for hosting again. I remember you and Jack started talking about it right after last year's get together, so I guess we were OK guests.

Welcome to Wendallyn and Melody - it will be great to meet you. Actually there are others coming who I have not 'physically' met and look forward to being face to face with you all too.

Jo - won't you feel "quilty" not coming, lol. Get better lady! You know that chocolate milk will help. For a moment there I read your post and thought you dreaded the Fudge. C'est imposible! Marie too - get better girl!

Hopefully we will see some of those 'others' that have not been contributing for awhile. If we could get Randy as part of that AZ group, maybe you all could come in a Van and Jo could keep her leg up.

Crossville, TN

YES...I feel guilty (explination to our new friends...I thought her username was GUILTYGIRL..and I asked her what she was guilty of...LOL)....

If I came with Randy with my LEG up that would be funny....since it's my right arm that is broken...NOW you're guilty of something!! Jo

No Central, AZ(Zone 7b)

Funny, Jo. Guilty of missing the type with both hands part!

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Just checking in to say HI!
Jo it is so good to hear from you! Chocolate goes a long way toward "fixing" things for me. LOL!
More soon. I have to run or hobble as fast as I can. They are waiting for me. LOL~
Miss all of you and am so looking forward to the RU!
WIB~
SW

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Just wanted to do a quick note to let you know to get ready for the RU. I'll be home late tomorrow, and will no doubt need some recuperation time with my feet up, so I'll be getting the food and plant/seed trade threads started.
I don't know about you, but I'm starting to get excited! : -)
Miss you all!
WIB~
SW

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.