Bromeliads for novices and addicts, Jan-Feb 2011

Coffs Harbour, Australia

Hi all, thought we needed a new start for the new year. A bit late I know
I hope all in Queensland will settle down. Our thoughts go out to all the gardeners who have lost all their hard work and plants, (and I know thats the least of their worries) but I'm sure they will be able to start again, with a few donations from here and there. Maybe in couple of months when people are starting to get back into their homes, we can have a think about helping with cuttings and pups e.t.c. What do you think?
Once again, Vriesea 'Kiwi Dusk'. Its a favourite of mine, and continues to change colour and patterns as it grows.
Sue

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Coffs Harbour, Australia

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1142779/
we came from here

Brisbane, Australia

Sue, Kiwi Dusk is a lovely brom to have on the "cover" of the new thread.

Mould is already a big problem in my house from all the rains. It is everywhere. I know so many people trying to do different things to help the flood victims, each in their own way. I wonder though how much really helps? I know they need their homes livable again, and emergency supplies for now. I have donated, and probably will donate more, but does the money go to those who need it most or do many get left out? I know in the 1974 floods, we were overlooked and not thought of as victims, as we were away at the time, but we still lost everything we owned in those floods. Those are the people I am thinking of, those who have slipped by the wayside.

Also, if we could spare a prayer for those flooded in other parts of the world, such as Brazil, who don't have the emergency and follow up care that we can expect here. I read that the loss of life in Brazil reached into the 600's this morning.

I would be happy to share any bits and pieces of broms and any other plants with anyone whose gardens have to be rebuilt. The floods are so extensive now and we can only hope and pray none of us here are affected.

Karen

This message was edited Jan 16, 2011 10:58 PM

north coast nsw, Australia

weedwoman- this one? its called V. 'White bands' F2, i don't know anything about there names though. My broms are pretty coloured as there in neally full sun all day even though some do need more shade.
gardengal- i dunk my potted plants in water to rid the ants sometimes, just for 20-30mins and just the pot and soil, not the plant.
Floods gone now!

This message was edited Jan 18, 2011 12:30 AM

Thumbnail by breeindy

Hi to all.
Bree I like the white bands and Sue I love Kiwi Dusk. We have a lovely Kiwi Cream, Kiwi Sunset and Kiwi Dusk all looking lovely at the moment. Must get some recent photos of them though.

Can anyone explain the F2 part of names? I think it means that the seed has been pollinated by itself and then collected and grown. Is this when you have a couple of little coloured flowers in the one infloresence and you pollinate from one flower to the next and back etc then mark those flowers for harvesting. Is this correct? What does F2 actually mean? I know from reaing these F2 versions are supposed to be better than the original versions as self pollination is supposed to bring out the best of these hybrids or something. I know we got some F2 seedlings of kautskyii and they are so much nicer in shape and colour than some that are labelled just kautskyii. Johnny has now collected some seeds from the F2 version to try to get even better ones. Will these be F3?????? Can anyone advise me????

Wendy

se qld, Australia

>gardengal- i dunk my potted plants in water to rid the ants sometimes, just for 20-30mins and just the pot and soil, not the plant.

That's what I do with manageable sized pots too, but the problem plant is in one of those concrete urn-looking things, about 40 cm accross. I tried using a couple of buckets of soapy water yesterday, shall see how that goes.

This message was edited Jan 19, 2011 5:06 AM

oh ok gardengal, abit hard then. I do have a few huge pots of bamboo i sometimes dunk in a big tub of water (yes its hard to get them in and even harder to get them out but i just manage) hehe! my pots are plastic so not as weighty though i supose. goodluck! im forever trying to get rid of ants.
New brom, its huge with so many roots.

Thumbnail by breeindy

and i got this one with it from the same ebay seller.
Not sure what the white stuff on it is, doesn't wipe off much, maybe its just a pest spray or something.
perkepatch- not sure on the F2 but would love to see a pic of your kiwis together.
This message was edited Jan 18, 2011 4:07 PM

This message was edited Jan 18, 2011 4:08 PM

Thumbnail by breeindy
se qld, Australia

Well I can say the soapy water definitely didn't work for the ants. They're still as happy as pigs in mud this morning. I might try some borax baits and hope that no geckoes or frogs.... or birds are silly enough to try it. Hmmm, I might have to give some thought to how to exclude everyone but the ants.

What about that antrid stuff, maybe they'll take it into the pot and kill the colony like that. Could take awhile to finally get rid of them though.
Ive been dunking(water), then spraying(flyspray) when they all crawl out, then washing off the plant(in case the spray harms it) all morning. There in my new bags of bark so there the next to be dunked.

Merino, Australia

Hello all. I have just been admiring my broms. They are coloring up beautifully with pups popping up all over the place.
Hannibal Lector has large pup. My leademanniana "Mend"is getting fantastic color. It has also put out 2 pups. I am so pleased to see them all doing so well. Here is 'Mend' It will look like its on fire when the color gets all over.
Jean

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Merino, Australia

Here is neo Coral Fire. It was just a plain thing when I bought it , but is really getting some rich color.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Merino, Australia

neo Break of Day is getting brighter.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Merino, Australia

neo carolinae, a pretty change from plain green.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Coffs Harbour, Australia

Hi all, I keep getting signed out after writing a long post so I'll post as i go

Coffs Harbour, Australia

Bree, the white stuff is probably dried algae, and if you wet your finger, then wipe it, you'll find it kind of rolls off. I think its a bit slack on behalf of the seller. I would never send a plant out looking like that! In saying that, they look like they'll be nice plants when cleaned up.

Coffs Harbour, Australia

Jean, I'm a bit worried about your A. 'Mend'. I don't think its supposed to go that red. It might be under stress. Only the outer edges are supposed to go pink. Tip the water out of the centre, and give a GENTLE tug on the red leaves. If they are loose, it might be the end of it. If you do lose it, I'll send you one, so don't be upset

Coffs Harbour, Australia

Wendy, yes, F2 is a self pollinated plant seed grown out, but I'm not sure what it becomes when you self pollinate the F2 plant, although F3 sounds logical. I'll have to go and ask someone with a bit more knowledge

Coffs Harbour, Australia

Pam, I soaked my tree fern log in water overnight last night, after I had hosed off every living ant that emerged over an hour. When I took it out of the water this morning, there were still a few survivors! Amazing. I wonder how they'd react to that lawn grub stuff that you water into the lawn? I'd still try it on an unwanted plant first though. Maybe I'll research that too.
Anyway, thunder and lightening, very very frightening, so I'll get going. Wow, this is the longest I've been signed in all week
SUe

Brisbane, Australia

The storms seemed to hang around for a long time last night, but again we were not directly affected.

Some of my broms are busy growing pups which is very pleasing. Guess the weird weather has agreed with them.

Nice plants there, Jean.

Karen

Merino, Australia

Sue, you were right about my A "Mend". I did as you suggested and the centre came right out.
I am so disappointed as it was growing so well. Would it have been too much rain ?
I'll have to go and check all of the broms now. They look so healthy especially "Mend'.
It has grown to over 35cm across.
Jean.

Coffs Harbour, Australia

Jean, it probably was too much wet. Did you get any cold snaps? they don't like the cold and wet. Sorry your plant is sick, but it might still throw a couple of pups. Do you have any fungicide? like Mancozeb? You could try mixing it at the rate on the label and spraying the centre of the plant with it to stop any further rot. Then keep the center dry for a couple of days, then continue as before. Maybe move it away from any others incase it spreads with the rain water splashing around. That redness is a telltale sign, but only if you know its not a colour that plant usually goes. Keep us informed as you go eh? Like i said, if you lose it, I'll send you one of mine. no problems.
Karen, glad you escaped the storm damage. We had a storm with lightening and booming thunder too. The poor dog was turning herself inside out, as the rumbles were felt in the floor. We've had a few showers today too, but hopefully it might clear up for the weekend. What has everyone got planned?
Sue
Aechmea blanchettiana is getting redder everyday, but don't worry Jean, its meant too! he he. thats not funny is it? poor Jean.

Thumbnail by weed_woman

weedwoman i think it may be dried algae. How would it have gotten there? Love that purple/black brom in the right back of that last pic.
Flowers coming...

Thumbnail by breeindy

found some flowers just opening on this little mini

Thumbnail by breeindy
Coffs Harbour, Australia

That looks like the plant I was asking about Bree, looks like V. ospinae Gruberi?
The algae grows naturally in the stagnant water in the central cup, in high light, and as the central leaves grow higher, the algae growing on them ends up high and dry, so dries to that white colour. Its nothing serious, and is a good reason to flush out your brom centres after a period of no rain.
The brom you like in my pic, is Aechmea 'Malva'.
http://www.bromeliadforum.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=480.0;topicseen
Wendy, This info might, or might not help on the discussion of F2 e.t.c.
Sue

Brisbane, Australia

Loving the photos of the broms. Will add another. Went to the markets this morning and got Kiwi Sunset, a nice sized plant, for $15. Is that a good price? I am sure I've seen smaller Kiwi's for around $30 but maybe I was dreamin'.

Karen

Thumbnail by DawnSong
Brisbane, Australia

Another view from the top...

Thumbnail by DawnSong
se qld, Australia

Karen, for something that pretty it's a fantastic price. I'd say you did well.

Pam

This message was edited Jan 23, 2011 5:01 PM

Brisbane, Australia

Thank you, Pam. It is pretty, isn't it.

Karen

Coffs Harbour, Australia

Karen, that sounds like a bargainprice. Its a beautiful plant and yours looks to be in excellent health and colour. Well done. I have had a huge weekend, so will chat again tomorrow when I'm not so tired.
Sue

Just a question for all you brom growers....I understand that the pups are produced from the side of the parent but if i cut that pup off does that same mother plant produce another? Is it better to wait until the pup has roots before removing it? i know ive gotten pups without roots and planted them and they grow fine.
Does the original mother plant eventually die?

Brisbane, Australia

I am going to have questions too once the pups grow larger. Some broms only get one pup, the mother dies, and you still just have one plant. However I have been told that if you take that one pup off, the mother may produce a second.

Sue, the man I get my broms from at the Beenleigh Markets always has beautiful, healthy plants. Next time I go, I hope to get Kiwi Dusk, then I'll have the full set :). He sells his plants at such a good size too, and has something different each time I go.

Karen

Brisbane, Australia

Karen, your photos have inspired me. That's a beautiful Kiwi Sunset. I've got 2 but neither of them are as nice as yours. Are the Beenleigh markets on every weekend and is your seller usually there? Are they at the Showgrounds? What time do they open? Bree most common Neos, Billbergias and Aechmeas produce at least 3-4 pups and they will keep producing them whether you take the first pups off or not. It's quite common to have 3 or more pups on them at once. You don't have to get roots when you cut the pups off but they will grow better and get established faster if you cut as close as you can to the mother without damaging it. Foliage Vrieseas are a bit more variable with some giving quite a few pups but the more expensive ones are often slow to pup and don't have as many. Sometimes your mother plant will be damaged trying to remove them. Eventually the old mothers will start to look shabby and gradually die. Usually the earlier pups are stronger. Generally it's better to take the pups off during the warmer months if they are at least 1/3 size of the mother because they don't grow much over winter and will try to flower in Spring even if they aren't big enough. Aah! Too much information. You'll soon figure it put with a bit of trial and error. Practise on your common ones first. Just another thought about the white stuff on your new plants. In Qld If you use town water the darker plants can get those marks from the calcium in the water. It usually rubs off quite easily and doesn't do any harm. This is my Aechmea fasciata variagated flowering.
Jen

Thumbnail by brombirdie
Brisbane, Australia

Hi Jen. Yes, the Beenleigh Markets are at the Showgrounds in James St., and are open from 6 am every Sunday, except at Show time. The brom seller has been there every time I've been and says he is there every Sunday. His broms are generally very good quality.

Here is a link...

http://www.truelocal.com.au/business/beenleigh-sunday-markets/beenleigh

Karen

Nothing exciting, but my tiny pink crytpanthus has a flower. I love miniature plants.

Thumbnail by DawnSong

Karen you did really well with that Kiwi Sunset. It is beautiful. Mine aren't nearly that advanced yet. We bought some of our Kiwis from that man when we went to Beenleigh markets. He does have good plants for a good price. Jen if you want to go I'm up for a brom trip but not this next Sunday as we have advertised to open this weekend.

Sue I made a list of Leisa's broms that I love. Your memory garden will certainly look nice with all Leisa's broms you got over the weekend. Can I get some pups when they multiply if you have them?

This is our new sales area.

Wendy

Thumbnail by perke_patch

and this is one I found full of colour today. It is neo purple jasper. Jen this is the one I was telling you about.

Wendy

Thumbnail by perke_patch
Brisbane, Australia

Wendy, will you have those fish net things for sale on Sunday? Not sure yet what we will be doing, as a lot of medical stuff coming up this week. Knocks me about sometimes.

The market man said he'd have new stuff in next week, but he's said that before and I've been disappointed, though I always find something I like.

Karen

thanks for that information Dawnsong and Brombirdie (can never get to much info). I think the white on my broms was algae as it did roll up when rubbed hard. Love that pink flowering varigated brom!
Little marbled throat now has a pup and just finished flowers. So the mother pups after flowering?

Thumbnail by breeindy

Hi Karen. The man who makes the fishnet balls is now selling them at the Chandler markets. If you don't have time to get there I can get him to leave some here for you. I can show you waht we have done with them if you make it over here on Sunday.
We have some lovely colour at the moment with lots of flowering happening including lots of tills flowering.

Wendy

Brisbane, Australia

Hi Wendy, I'll have a look at yours first. I may be able to do something myself. I hope we can get down to your sale. It's a mad couple of weeks here.

Karen

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.