Annual Poppy talk

(Mary) Anchorage, AK(Zone 4b)

Great. Sounds like the right mix. I read somewhere that it takes sometimes over 300 days for the meconopsis to germinate. I don't think mine took that long. I put them in milk jugs that got rolled by the wind. What a mess. but I kept the jugs and eventually two little plants germinated. Little tiny guys. And one survived. I put them in a moist place between a spruce, fence, and my shed that gets virtually no sun til way late in the afternoon. Seemed to work. It is only about a space 4' deep and 2' wide. At the back by the fence are my blue poppies, then a fern, then a bergenia and a little fringed bleeding heart. It was the first summer for them so this year they should all be well filled in. Good use of a pretty useless space.

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Sounds like you did a great job with the space. I did winter sow Lingholm last year on January 8th, it did germinate, only 2 of the seeds from what I remember, and we had a bad storm, and some of my jugs got knocked over, and I lost it. I left the bottle that those were sown in outside in the garden, in shade. I should check it so see if anything is growing this year, LOL.

Hey. That would be neat. And it is entirely possible. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks, I'll check tomorrow and let you know.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Here's a good picture of Oriental Poppy leaves:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sue_10512/3448009395/

Mine leaves are pretty "hairy" so I think they are Orientals. I noticed on this picture the more mature leaves are more dissected and the younger leaves aren't.

Some of my poppy leaves are even more dissected than the above picture. I am guessing those are O.P. as well. I also have a few Icland Poppies. I could not find a good picture of the Iceland Poppy leaves.

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

I checked the old container of Meconopsis Lingholm, no further germination. I was able to sow some Fire and Ice seeds this afternoon.

Crumb....

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I got poppy seeds in the mail and they went into the freezer. I will sow in milk bottleswith no bottoms until germination,in May.I am assumeing birds got seeds in years past.
I'll try anything to have a nice stand of poppies.

Southeastern, NH(Zone 5b)

Me too! I had no poppies last year! I put down lots of seeds too!

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

That could very well be what happened to my seeds, too. I never thought of the birds.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I just cant believe the birds get them all. It would account for the poppies that come up really close to and into other plants. Birds just donr see the seeds

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Oh well, I'm going to plants this year, anyway.

Should we start a new thread? Something with a Part 2 in the name so people can find us. I could do so but someone else would have to put in the link.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Here we go:new thread:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1149346/#new

Great. Thanks.

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

keep watching - glad the thread is alive
kathy

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

that link just brings me right back here?

Jan

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Sorry about that try this:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1243730/

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

thanks for the updated link.

Jan

Norfolk, VA

Popping poppy the seeds in the freezer will somewhat hasten germination.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Hello Poppies lovers. I am a fan of poppies but had very little experience with the culture of these lovely flowers. I did have a couple of perennial Oriental poppies that survived in the garden for several years in the past. The annual varieties? Not so much. Recently I purchased some 'Mission Bells', 'Orange' the 2 cultivars of eschscholzia californica. I also have 'Lauren's Grape' and 'Hungarian Blue' Papaver somniferum. All of which are labeled "Annual Fullsun".

Of everyone's shared experience all of which are very helpful. However, Annette's zone is very much like mine. So my question goes to Annette, will these take full sun in our garden or can they tolerate some filtered shade? Also this late in the season, is it too late for me to sow them directly outdoor? The seeds packages are from Colorado, so I presumed that these have been pre-chilled. But, if it's too late to sow them now, should I go ahead and put them in the freezer now and wait until Fall sowing?
I appreciate everyone input and tips.
Kim

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I can speak for Laurens Grape. If you still have a month of cold weatrher,not necessarily freezing but no days in the 60's or 70' for a prolonged period,I would give sowing a try.
I sowed in March here and had success.

The period of cold should be at least a few weeks.

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Hey Kim, I direct sowed some of my seeds in part sun, on 1/2/13, and they germinated within 17 days, on 1/19/13. These were seeds that I ordered from One Stop Poppy Shoppe in 2011, that have been stored in my freezer to keep them fresh. The seeds that were sowed in late December germinated in less than 3 weeks.

The poppies that I grew last year were also grown in the same area. As you know, it gets blazingly hot here very quickly in the spring, and I wanted the plants to do well, and have the blooms last longer by giving some protection from the full sun.

I would sow some of the seeds now, we still have some cool days ahead, with nights in the 30-40's. Annette

Enterprise, AL(Zone 8b)

I tried a few California Orange poppies last year, they looked pretty good for a while then started turning yellow and died. I think I over watered them. This year I tried some more, I have about 8 plants planted in the garden, they were starting to turn yellow when I read an article that said to plant them, then water them, then don't water them anymore. So I have not watered them since and they are looking much better. Mine are planted in full sun, California Poppy, that just sounds like full sun to me, is that right? I started these from seed and then transplanted them into the garden, now I a second batch of little seedlings and from what I am reading I need to get them transplanted into the gardenl pretty quickly. I was wating for the weather to warm up, guess I should have been taking avantage of the cold weather.

This message was edited Mar 6, 2013 3:32 PM

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Thanks Joann, and Annette for your reply. I'm going to try some of the annual poppies this week. It has been cold and rather windy to spend any time outdoor, but I'll brave the cold and wind. Seedfork, good lucks with yours and keep us all posted how yours will turn out? I'll have some left over seeds those I'll store in the freezer, freezer is recommended as everyone has said? Not the frig. but freezer for poppy seeds storage is correct right?

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

I store my seeds in the freezer. I read somewhere that they can be kept like this for several years. Best of luck Kim and Seedfork with your poppies.

The weather here is also cold, dark, dank and very windy with occasional snow flurries, which was not in the weather forecast for our area. We're still at 39 degrees right now ;-(

Enterprise, AL(Zone 8b)

Thanks, to both of you. I will transplant my other California Poppies tomorrow if the wind slacks up some.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Here is looking forward to Spring. The Daf. is one I planted this late Fall. The second pix is a Star Magnolia in my neighbor's yard. Thanks all for sharing your thought and idea. Happy spring sowing.

Thumbnail by Lily_love Thumbnail by Lily_love
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Wishing good luck to all who are starting annual poppies.I have never tried to sow after mid March in Zone 6.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

I would like to have a lake in my backyard! LOL!! I don't do anything special with my Cal poppies. They just reseed themselves. Mike

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Two important factors that influence the germination of poppies seeds. 1. Sunlight. 2. Prechilled condition. I'm having a second thought about sowing them now JoAnn. I may just toss them in the freezer and wait until Fall. For although, it's still cold outside, one can tell that spring is right at our heels here in the South. Yah, another missed opportunity. I saw local nursery caries some healthy looking Oriental Poppies (perennial), I may opt for a few of those instead.

Mike, to get them established in the garden, then it's worried free. My problem is if I missed Autumn sowing I missed the prechilled condition that the seeds require.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Hah, it's known that poppies don't take transplanting well. But I broke down and risked the chances. There is this kind gardener in my area, he has some established annual poppies that he shared with me in the past. I paid him a visit yesterday, and pleaded with him that I would so love some. He advised me that they don't transplant well. I promised him that if I succeed, I'll take pictures and bring back to show him my success. He gave me these annual poppies which I planted today. The day is a good day to transplant for it's cloudy, and temp. in 60'ish out there. Go figure, last weekend we were expecting snow flurries, this weekend is totally SPRING!

Thumbnail by Lily_love

I have transplanted lots of poppies - even perennials where I wanted to place them in particular places after preening for weeds. Has always worked great. Maybe our cooler weather is the reason it works

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Annual poppy transplant never works for me.It takes a week or more to realize it isnt working.
Perennial poppies transplant great if I wait until late summer dormancy.

I started a new thread for 2013. The other one was interesting but spanned 2011-2013.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1301789/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.