Annual Poppy talk

Pittsburg, MO(Zone 6b)

In fact you should store all your poppy seeds in the freezer. they will last longer with a better germination rate.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I order mine late fall and sow them a month or 2 later. I have only been sowing here for 3 years and dont have a lot of seed stored after the season ends.
It sounds like something to do when I have seeds in Juy.

Pittsburg, MO(Zone 6b)

That's what I do when I harvest the seeds. Can't remember who taught me that trick, I think it was the hortaculturist at the high school. That's also what I do with my hibiscus seeds, it kills the little bugs that live inside.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I will definatly refrigerate this years harvest

Pittsburg, MO(Zone 6b)

I was given some poppy seeds about 6 years ago and just never had a place to put them, they've been in the freezer. I have a new garden bed to put them in and I winter sowed them a month or so ago and they have sprouted so I will have some Pizzicato this year.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I had no idea seeds would last that long.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Ge1836. "Dont be scared of the garden". You are so funny! Sowed my pack about 10 days ago. Weezingreens also recommend storing seeds in the freezer.

Plympton, MA(Zone 6a)

Thanks! I have to admit, fear of mistakes does stop me.

I planted some today, but I hadn't read this yet so I avoided the area. I will plant them tomorrow.

Pittsburg, MO(Zone 6b)

I got my seeds from Weezengreens. She sent a bunch of poppies and had mentioned they should still be good because she kept them in the freezer. She is a wealth of knowledge.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

neat

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

If it stops raining I'll check poppies ,maybe a pix.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

You can see ground Ge? This is exciting!!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I'm embarrased to say YES its green.
We didnt get the amounts of snow you did after all.
Anything over 8 inches doesnt matter, snow is white,right?
What ever front is going thru that was supposed to dump 5-8 inches of snow on Monday, has gone further north so we will have rain.
Fine with me.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

I'm hoping to dodge this storm in forms of solid....hoping for more rain to melt this stuff. However...be careful what you wish for right? Flooding is going on all over right now!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

The day of rain and temps in the 50's helped.
Yes there were flood warnings. I dont worry about that. We are on a clay hill with big retaining ponds and a creek quite far off.
There is a lot of runoff going thru our yard. Thats "going thru " not building up.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Its just barely light enough to see the ground is covered with snow. No poppy pix today unless it turns to rain.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

The snow is mostly gone and poppies that early germinated are still there. Thanks all you poppie people who didnt let me fall into a funk when I saw sprouts last November.
Its still pretty wet but I can see sprouts .

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

ge: If you plant them, they will grow! Isn't it fun?

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I am so psyched .April will reveal the direct sowed seeds I did in December.

sherwood park, AB(Zone 3a)

I seeded OSPH last year and had great results. Ordered more and they are waiting in the fridge. Maybe some of the seeds need stratification.

Thumbnail by msbeekeeper
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I had bad luck with OSPS last year. Somnifariums didnt germinate.
I am giving the same order a second chance if there are no poppies I will not order from them again.

Louisville, KY

I started laurens grape on the basement floor as well as other perennial poppies. I have had great luck with them. The advantage of starting under lights is that you don't waste seed. I have given away a flat of o poppies and one of Laurens grape. I have planted out P naudical Laurens grape and P. carcneum. I have flats of alpine poppies, and O poppies Prince of Orange, Coral Reef and Princess Victoria Louise . I think thats right on the name of the last one.

Pittsburg, MO(Zone 6b)

I haven't heard of half of them. They sound wonderful, will have to look them up. Good luck with them.

Louisville, KY

Thanks Robyn. The Naudicals (iceland poppies) wilted down quite a bit when I transplanted them, but are standing up like little soldiers out in the garden....now if I can jus keep the rabbits away....They think my gardenis a smorgasbord.

Pittsburg, MO(Zone 6b)

I plant zinnias all around to help keep the rabbits away.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

good idea

Louisville, KY

I'll give that a try.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

My early germinaters from Nov. are still hanging in there.
Snow gone and its great to walk the garden to see whats comming up

Pittsburg, MO(Zone 6b)

I'm loving it, all kinds of poppies are popping up. Most excited about Lingholm. Although according to almanac end of next week major snow coming and then bitter cold after that. I am beginning to really hate winter.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

unanimous here

Louisville, KY

Some of my babies taking the air on the pation . Many have already been planted are given away,

Thumbnail by timeinabottle
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

That sure is a great sight.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Zone envy

Louisville, KY

Joann

We have had a great spring so far. I hope it will be coming your way soon

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I am hanging in there for more consistant warmth. Mostly to see what returnes but mainly to see where poppies are going to be. The sprouts are so small now and my eyesight is so bad, I need a 4 inch plant to be able to say for sure "Its a poppy"

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

This is a somnifarium that sprouted last Nov. at least thats when I first saw it.
Its held its own all winter.I believe the heat from the granit made survival possible.
It liiks like it will be happening this year.
No other late November seeds are showing.
I didnt see germinated seeds until late April last year so I'm not depressed,yet.

Thumbnail by ge1836
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I SEE POPPIES !!!!!
where I thought they were gonners.
Some of the early germinated ones are gonners.
The RyBean's are sprouting.I need a mag glass to see them but they are doing it.
I sowed them in late November. They missed the week of warm weather that germinated the others.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Here are the teeny weenies
Venus annual poenia type

Thumbnail by ge1836
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

AND the Heritage and Ry Beaners

Thumbnail by ge1836
Plympton, MA(Zone 6a)

Does anyone have any poppy seedling pics to post? I am having trouble figuring out what is a weed and what is a poppy!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.