January Weather; Welcome 2011

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Lots of rocks around here. My friend I gardened with last year picks rocks every year after tilling. He knows he will never get them all but he just moves the big ones every year. I teased him and told him I was tempted to bring him a handful of pea gravels and tell him it was rock seeds. LOL

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Cold, partly cloudy and roads are starting to get slick. Came close to wrecking my truck tonight coming home from Wal*Mart. Luckily I didn't slide that much, just enough to scare me a bit. I would have hit a concrete thing on a bridge. Then almost hit the ditch after that. I stuck it in 4WD after that and kept it there til I got to more bare asphalt.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Glad it was a near miss instead of a bulls eye! Sliding is scarey. On these hills it's really scarey because so many of our roads follow creeks and it's always a deep drop off. Our truck is just 2WD and a diesel so all the weight is in the front end. Fords are notorious for having light rearends. Makes it slide around a lot especially in a bind on a hill. Scarey stuff. I am glad you have the luxury and safety of 4WD. Are they pretty good about salting ad plowing where you live?

Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

Pepper, so scary! Glad you are safe!
Cajun, great photos! You have such beautiful surroundings!
SallyBP, Happy Belated Birthday for your DD! So great you had a party for the boys! You are such a great Mom and Grandmom too!
Mau, wonderful picture, so sunny with all the snow ! Thanks for the link, those frazil ice are amazing! We often see them here on our rivers too.
Crissy, loved those pics!
Monty, you're a happy cat!LOL
Rusty, stay warm and show us more pics of your doggies!

It's very warm for this time of year...it reminds me of last year when we had a warm January too and February came with deep freeze and lots of snow...some of you remember too! I googled the forecast for February and it says again deep greeze and snow, but only at the begining of the month. They say it'll be an early Spring at the end of February.
I have an old picture from our mountains, Poiana Brasov resort. It was taken from the telegondole cabin.

Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti
Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Beautiful pic. Were you on vacation in that cabin?

I really enjoyed the Yosemite video. Interesting stuff and so beautiful. I have always said one of my 2 dream jobs would be to camp in every national and state park and write about them.

14* here this morning. It's clear now but can't tell yet if we are going to have sunshine yet. Even on sunny days in winter the sun doesn't get to us until after 10am because we are between 2 mountains.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

I have never owned a 4 wheel drive, but I am amazed that you wouldn't have it in 4 wheel all the time on ice & snow.
Another Alberta Clipper coming our way. We will make a full blown storm out of it & send it SE of us.
17º this morning. Cloudy, no wind.

(Zone 7a)

Adina, what a great pic! I agree with you about Sally!

Cajun, you live in a lovely place.

Bernie, I love my 4wd. I couldn't live here without it.

32.2º and sunny but it is also a bit smoggy. I think the inversion is back.

Mountain Chickadee.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Here's Rusty and Ju playing on back of the deck...

Gonna have more chance of rain/snow on Monday (arrggghhhh!)...

This message was edited Jan 14, 2011 11:38 AM

Thumbnail by JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Ju sit by the french door and Rusty is looking out for some creatures!

Thumbnail by JuJu55
Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Realy nice pups, Rusty. I'll bet they are great friends.

Our day started out cold as and the wind was blowing. I was preparing for a hard day but the sun came out, the wind layed and it warmed up to around 30*. Not bad at all. Got all the work done with no problem and even made it to the PO. But I have a colt trying to colic. 4th time and he is only 21 months old. *sigh* Gave him 6cc banamine and no feed. Lots of hay and water.

On my road they just plow since it's a gravel road. But the highways around me they are good about pretreating and plowing. Most of our main roads are mostly clear now due to a nice warmup.

Temps reached 34* today so everything got slushy and it helped the road crews get the roads cleared today.

We do have another storm coming Sunday or Monday but they aren't talking about how much we are gonna get. Either we're gonna get slammed or it's not gonna do much.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

It's that "either, or" that will jump up to bite you on the hindend. LOL

Cajun , we were on vacation there for a few days, it was great!
It's like Spring here, sunny and all the snow is gone! The snowdrops and crocuses are popping up already! I'll have to take some pics!

Adina

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Good morning, all! It was36F on my back porch this morning at 6:30a.m. That is a long way from the 7F on Thursday morning! We are supposed to get up to 50F today--it will be a welcome change!
Adina: I agree with you and Celia re: Sally in Iowa being a good mom and grandmom!
Woo, pepper! I'm so glad that you didn't slide off the road or hit the bridge! Thank goodness for 4WD---as Bernie says---Use it! :o)
Cajun: laughing at the "rock seeds"
Bernie: good luck with the new tiller--hope it performs the way you expect it to.

* Today: Sun and clouds mixed. High 50F. Winds WSW at 5 to 10 mph.
* Tonight: Cloudy skies. Low 33F. Winds light and variable.

Most of the snow has melted around here although there is still some on the rooftops and in the wooded areas.

Vail, AZ

Looks like our freezing nights are behind us for a while. It's been staying in the 40's at night and making it into the 60' during the day. We've had som gusty winds though, up int the 30/mph range. I've managed to create a new flower bed for my iris seedling. It's quite a job here. I had to use a jack hammer to dig 2 1/2 ft through the clay and rock and then have dirt hauled in to replace it. We don't have soil here, we have cement.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

3° with a high of 20°
A mix of clouds and sun this morning with a few snow flurries this afternoon. Winds light and variable.
Sunrise: 7:29 am
Dyson Dark and Kiska Cold

We ran to town Thursday night. I've been researching cameras with extended zoom. That was to be my Christmas present since Dad gave me money. I settled on a....Canon SX30 with 35x zoom. I got to play with it some that night. I had to download the manual because it's not really a point and shoot like my little Kodak Z650, which truely is a good camera. But it has 10x zoom. Not quite enough.

Then, we got the boys Friday morning and kept them till late Saturday afternoon. DH played with the camera. Sooo, today, I need to play with it.

Marsue, lovely clouds to go with the lovely snow :o)

Cajun, I don't blame you one bit for complaining. I can't wait to see Spring and Summer pictures around your place! Wow on the mountain!! ROTFL over the pea gravel seeds!!

Oh Pepper! DH throws it in 4 wheel just to get down DD's sandy frozen lane in the winter.

Adina, thanks :o) Love the telegondole picture. Was this a sight seeing trip you took in it? Amazing camera to see all the houses way over yonder! (Just got the answer to the vacationing.) Wow, spring folaige already!

Oh Bernie, thanks so much for the clipper (Sarchasm, LOL!)

Celia, you would think Utah would be a clean place, but even the town East of us is one of the worst polluters. ''Muscatine Power and Water.'' Sheesh! I adore the little chickadees!

Rusty, what a great picture of the boys playing! Does your neighbor also have dogs? Rusty is such a good boy!! They both are so handsome!

Aww Cajun, sorry about the little guy. I used to have time to lurk on the horse thread. Great bunch of folks there.

Marsue, thank you too. I would welcome the warm up too!

Wow Redhead, that is a labor of love!!! But how exciting to have a new bed. Are these your seedlings, pollinated from some of your own?

Vail, AZ

The seedlings are all my own crosses. This is my second go at hybridizing.

Thumbnail by redheadclan
Vail, AZ

My first try I got real lucky.

Thumbnail by redheadclan
Vail, AZ

Got Lucky twice.

Thumbnail by redheadclan
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

BP: congrats on the camera! Let us know how you like it!

What beautiful iris', redhead! Did you name them?

Rusty, I forgot to tell you that I think JuJu has grown up to be a beautiful dog! She and Rusty are both good company for you, I am sure!

I took this photo of the sunrise this morning. As you can see, the snow has departed.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Whoops, I forgot the photo! LOL and the weather report.

It was 29F on my back porch a bit ago. We are heading for a high of 40F with a 30% chance of rain.

Thumbnail by marsue
Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Quote from billyporter :

Rusty, what a great picture of the boys playing! Does your neighbor also have dogs? Rusty is such a good boy!! They both are so handsome!

Both of dogs isn't boys! One of Rusty is boy and JuJu is girl! And yes the neighbor has 2 female cocker spaniel dogs are loud-barking and won't to be shut-up at all!

This message was edited Jan 16, 2011 8:35 AM

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Redhead, I am blown away by your seedlings! Lucky is right, both are beautiful!!

Marsue, I hope I can get some good shots to show everyone. Gorgeous sunrise! We only had a slim horizontal line of sunshine.

Rusty, giggling at myself. I DID know Ju was a girl. I have two boy cats indoors, two boys out and two boy Grandsons. I forget there's such a thing as a girl sometimes, LOL! It's too bad about the yappy dogs next door. We had a Cocker too and it was hard to stop her from barking when someone wass at the door. Yep, we did have a girl dog, long ago.

Vail, AZ

I named the first one Ginny's Smile after a woman named Ginny that was in our iris society who died in a car crash last summer. She was always smiling. I sent one rhysome to a blind seedling judging at the 2012 AIS convention in So California. They say I can't introduce it until 2013. No matter, I only have 3 so far. The other one I cant think of a name for yet, but I'm going to introduce it next year. It's a cross between Secrect Melody and Jump for Joy. Any suggestions?

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Mau that was our Sunrise also.
24° here and some hazy Sun!
We won't break freezing today........ again.

Looks like we're caught in the cold zone.
Temps will hit 40 tomorrow and Tuesday then back below Normal.
If we had a bit more sun it wouldn't be too bad.
These gray days are the pits! lol!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Secret Joy?

Lovely!

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Redhead, very sweet to name it for Ginny.

Spring Melody?

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Cloudy.
Forecast for this week. -10º over night.
High 5º everyday.

Is this why this is the coldest week of the year.

Cabinet business is going wild!
I will work out there for a while, then watch the MN Gophers trounce Iowa this afternoon.

Bernie

Brrr, Bernie, so cold ! Are you working outside?
Sally, congrats for the new camera, sounds a great one! Canon is the best! The picture was taken from the telegondole over the ski slope a few years ago...I posted the pics then. Maybe I'll post more later.
Mau, wow, such high temps...beats us too! Lovely sunrise!
Red, wow, those irises are so beautiful! Congratulations! The second one seems like a torch...Joy Torch?
Rusty, thanks for the pictures! Your doggies are so cute and Ju-Ju already seems bigger than Rusty!

It's been 46F here today and raining. No more fog this morning. Yesterday was foggy and a yellow sun...will post some pics later. I'm at work now and only have older. LIke this one taken last week on the main street in our village.

Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Not outside, snug in the shop. 70º in there.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

I was going to suggest Melody's Joy or Joy's Melody! LOL All the other suggestions are good, too.

Brrrrr, Ric and Bernie, too!
Adina, we haven't made it up to 40F yet. It has been over cast all day but no rain so far. It is currently 36F.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

We're FAR from Bernie cold......
It's 32° and sunny here

Thumbnail by henryr10

Here's the yesterday's sunrise .

Thumbnail by adinamiti
Vail, AZ

Good suggestions, unfortunately Spring Melody is taken. I might use one of the others.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

We didn't have any sun today. The temps weren't too awful bad but it felt colder that the cold days have with sunshine. The sun works wonders for me.

Those flowers are very pretty.

Cloudy and cold. Supposed to get a wintery mix tomorrow.

Went to hockey game last night. We won 3-1. Good thing is my nephew had a blast watching the game.
Bad thing is I lost my camera and when I tried to find it in the several places it could have been it was gone. Someone took it. So now have to find a new camera. Not gonna rush it though. I need a similar camera so I can take it places. Gonna find the best one for what I want to spend.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

The day of AP reported snow everywhere EXCEPT Florida my dgt. called to say they had flurries in Madison which is N. Fl. I've seen it here years past.
We have had 4 freezes this Jan. down to 29F here in central Fl. I can tell I have lost some shurbs but some will grow back from the roots. Last winter was same scenario of freezes and I'm wondering just how many of these freezes the plants can stand and still come back. Weather is certainly changing here over the years.
We lost our grove years ago to 3 back to back freezes. Not much fruit in central Fl. now. Still some in south Fl. Hopefully it will not change weather pattern permanently. It was in the 50's today and hopefully will warm up more tomorrow.
Bonnie

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Pep, so sorry about your camera. Hope you find a great deal on a new one.

Do they still use the snudge pots in the citrus groves or do they have some new technology for freeze control?

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

23° with a high of 34°
Through 11am: Steady snow will become mixed with sleet or freezing rain at times by 9am.
Light snow this morning will become a mix of wintry precipitation for the afternoon.Winds S at 15 to 25 mph. Snowfall around one inch.

Bernie, that's cold! 70° is mighty toasty when your bustling around.

Thanks Adina, I hope this camera works for me. Nice tree lined Main St!
Nice idea for the Iris. I thought the ''torch'' was like a Jack in The Pulpit, sort of springing up :o)

Redhead, I'm impressed I thought of the same name someone already chose :o)
I like both Ric and Marsue's names too.
I also thought of ''Joyful Spring'' "Arizona Secret" and "Spring Delight"

Oh Pepper!! I am so so sorry!! (((((HUGE HUGS))))) A HUGE POX on the thief. Praying you find yours, and if not, a good deal.

Hi Bonnie, wow, you have the same story as all of us. The weather isn't like it used to be. It's a shame you lost your grove. Were you commercial?

Vail, AZ

Billy
Thanks for the name ideas. I think I'll use Joyful Spring. I also have a bunch of seedlings with Arizona Sandstone. I'll probably use Arizona Secrect for the best of those, they won't bloom for another year though.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.