January Weather; Welcome 2011

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Great shots of the eclipse, Adina! At least I am/we are able to enjoy it through your photos because there was a cloud cover in our area that night.
Pepper: your road could be any number of roads here in Arkansas--looks very familiar. :o)
Bernie: congrats on being President of the Farmers Market. I'm certain you will do a good job for them!
BP: I have never eaten Hummus--not sure it fits in with my southern up-bringing--LOL--but then I have given up fried foods except for an occasional order of french fries or piece of fried chicken. Also, I eat my veggies steamed instead of boiled-to-death and I haven't eaten "light bread" in years! I've practically eliminated red meat except for the occasional hamburger (eaten with the above-mentioned order of fries!) I guess I have beaten the "southern" out of my diet--LOL--but I have still not tried Hummus! :o~

The weather guy said this morning that two jet streams are "phasing" together--the polar jet and the southern jet. The polar jet has the cold air and the southern jet has the moisture--when the two "phase together", we can expect the frozen precipitation. A lot of the eastern portion of the U.S. will have colder weather and snow starting this week-end.
We are expecting snow on Sunday and Monday but for today--well, we will be near 60F! Enjoy it while we can!
# Today: Windy with sunshine. High 57F. Winds WNW at 15 to 25 mph.
# Tonight: Mostly clear. Low 31F. Winds NW at 5 to 10 mph.
# Tomorrow: A mainly sunny sky. High near 45F. Winds N at 5 to 10 mph.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Marsue, hummus was new toi me, but they had free samples in the grocery store. It grows on you and since it uses healthy chick peas, I might make it more ofter. It's simple to make in the food processor, or even use a mixer. With cumin, it had a chili flavor.

Laughing, I try to eat like you do, but chicken wings and frienc fries are my downfall!

I wonder what weather I'll really have today, LOL!

Well, the treadmill is hollering at me, LOL! Have a good day all!

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

I didn't know it was made with chick peas--I might have to give it a try--or maybe not! LOL

Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

Bernie, congrats for being elected as a President, wow! We had a full sun eclipse in 1999 and it was like you said, so weird, so quiet, but so beautiful! Unfortunately I didn't have a camera back then to take some shots.
SallyBP, I ate hummus from an arabian store we have here and I loved it...forgot what it was made of.
Mau, congratulations for eating healthy! I love French fries and have been eating it all my life...I guess I'm lucky I have a good stomach!LOL
Pepper, lovely pictures!

It's still freezing here, 15F and cloudy. Frost all over the field , on the fence, and on the trees and plants. This is from last week.

Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Adina, check your dmail. :o)

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

High of 37 with windchill of 25 today. Strong winds with gusts up to 40 mph. Very bitter feeling. Winds died down some after sun went down. Had some sleet and snow in the area today too. Not much just enough to feel.

Wasp from this past summer. I try to avoid getting close to them. They all like to sting me!! lol

Thumbnail by pepper23
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

There's a really good Hummus bar at Jungle Jim's.
Cookie loves the place
I love their KILLER Olive Bar!
You must try Kalamata Olives soaked in vinegar and aged in oak barrels!
Also aged Feta from the same barrels.
YUM!

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Marsue, I forgot to check spelling yesterday I hit too many keys at once sometimes, or don't hit them hard enough.

Mine was a bit dry so I added a bit of tomato juice I had left from canned tomatoes, and that helped. It's a plain taste. The cumin adds the chili-like flavor.

When in doubt, try a free sample when they offer it in the grocery store.

Adina, I love a full sun eclipse and hope we get one in the near future. At least Hummus is easy to make. French fries too, LOL! It looks cold!!

Pepper, exellent shot of the wasp! We had wind yesterday too, and flurries.

Ric, I LOVE olives! DH filched a Kalamata jalapeno filled one for me to taste from the store. I savored it for a couple of aisles. Oh YUM!

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Cold here and the wind is blowing. Upwards of 5" of snow today. Hope we can get to the barn on top of the mountain.

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

Good luck getting to that barn. Be careful!!!!! It is cold here today but not something we can't survive. It has snowed a bit but not enough to be a problem, thank the Lord.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I have 2 mares at that barn. Water is no problem as they have a creek. The county had scraped the road up to the bottom of the last hill and a friend had scraped the last hill with the blade on his 4 wheeler but it was covered with snow again so we had to walk up and carry the feed. But they are fed now. 1 more to go. I have to let him out so I can clean his stall. Then I will feed and water him and give him the rest of his hay. He'll be snug again for the night. I still have to feed the chickens and goats but my feet need to warm up first. Got too cold amd I'm having spasms in my feet and legs. I sure do hate this weather. Should only be a couple more months. I got some new pics while we were out but I need to download them. Pics and snow creme are all this weather is good for. :)

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

I guess it keeps the flies, ticks and mosquitoes down a bit. Be careful!

Cold!!! Flurries this morning then the sun came out for awhile this afternoon.

Went to a friend's sister's place to help dig up some plants after work. I decided to tackle her snowball bush. It was about my height but not very big around. Gave it a hard pruning so that I wouldn't get smacked to death, then took the spade and started digging around it a bit. Then used shovel to really dig. I ended up breaking the shovel, possibly cracking the spade, and my friend cracked her shovel. lol. But we got the bush dug up!! And I owe my dad a new shovel. lol.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Glad you were victorious?

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

LOL!
Two words....Spud Bar!
http://www.hooverfence.com/tools/digger-tamper.htm

We worked fence all year, every season.
That's the only tool that would have done the job.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

6° with a high of 22°
Sunshine this morning then becoming mostly cloudy this afternoon. Winds E at 5 to 10 mph.
Time Until Sunrise: 2 hrs 30 min
Dyson Dark

Cajun, I hope you get thru this winter!

Elena, I was thinking about how winter is good for no bugs too the other day, LOL!

Pepper, ROTFL&L!! Oh dear! You and your friend worked hard. I'm glad you got it!!

Ric, dang, now I need yet another tool :o)

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

BP that's the best digging yard tool you will ever buy.

Here's the only shovel, fork or spade.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/garden/page.aspx?p=64727&cat=2,64944

Fayetteville, AR(Zone 7b)

Good Morning everyone!

I wasn't supposed to disappear but work is still busy, I think we're about finished though.

Cool pics of the eclipse Adina! Lucky you got to see it.

I loved Jungle Jim's, what a neat place. They have everything, literally!

That's a bummer about your Koi.

I'm looking for a new car: Honda Civic EX Coupe with a manual transmission, they don't make manual transmissions for the EX for the Gulf Coast States. I can order one but it takes 3 months to get it in. Dave wants me to have a salesmen find me one, I'd like to just order the thing, but I'm also wanting to say that if Honda doesn't want to make them for this area then they don't want my business, and I'll go buy a Scion.

It's supposed to snow today!!! Like 3-6 inches!!! I'm so excited, this could shut everything down for getting to work tomorrow!!!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Just found out it's a Memorial for all the donors who died in Sept and October 2010 at Miami Valley Hospital.
So it will be a little less intimate than I was expecting.
Shouldn't be as traumatic this way.

Hey we just broke 20°!
Break out the shorts!

Chrissy I forgot you been to JJ's!
Did Cookie get you to try the Hummus?

Ric

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Ric, those are NICE tools! I'm lucky the first shovel we got has been so good. We didn't pay a lot for it and it has served me well. I do not dig shrubs or anything needing me leaning into it. I'd snap it for sure now.

Chrissy, smiling. Every time I think I don't have time to catch up, I think about having to catch up. So, we keep up, or we pop in. It's all good! The secret is to not ask a question and then not be there when they answer!

I hope you get a car you want or like.

ROTFL! A Monday off. You can't beat that!

Ric, I hope it will be less tramatic. Just hold a lot of hands and squeeze.

Or, the swim trunks and hit the hot tub, LOL!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

We bought one of those spades years ago.
Still going strong and it's never been babied.
Just filed smooth and sharpened every Spring.
The British have VERY tough standards on shovels and such.
The spud bar I've had for 40 years.
They are actually what you usually use to dig a post hole.
The Bar loosens the soil, pops or breaks rocks, etc.
The post hole diggers pull it out.
Our diggers are probably 15 years old.

We're MUCH warmer than the expected 22°.
28° (Wind Chill 24°) now and Sunny too!

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Ric, that is impressive! I love my tools. I'll keep that page bookmarked for future references. I'll never buy cheap tools now. Funny, all my tools are about 25 to 30 years old and all were built well, for being affordable. We've only broken a hoe and cracked my shovel handle. Snapped the hoe good, but DH sanded the split and I use the hoe end to chop lumps and mix my tub of dirt in the garage. The split is good for a lot of things. Then I got my Mom's old old old hoes.

While I'm here, it's now fully cloudy, any snow is drying up as it heads this way and it's a nice, calm, 26* :o)

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Ric: I will not be buying a spud bar! LOL Somebody with more muscle than I have will have to do any heavy digging for me.

It's been snowing here for about 1 1/2 hours. This is what it looks like in my back yard after that length of time. The current temp on my back porch is 19F. It's been 19F for the past several hours. I don't know if the thermometer is frozen, too, or if it is accurate. In any case, it is cold!

I have put out 4 suet cages and also a feeder full of sunflower seeds for the birds.

Thumbnail by marsue

Currently around 26* and Dyson Dark. We are under Winter Weather Advisory starting at 6am tomorrow and ending Tues at 6 am. We are expecting anywhere from 3 to 8 inches of snow. By 8am tomorrow the roads will be snow packed and mess up rush hour driving big time. Around noon it's supposed to be snowing heavily. It will continue to snow thru Tues.

Snow is already in Kansas City and it's heading my way. Gonna be a mess going into work tomorrow. lol. Hubs are locked and mirrors covered. I'm about as ready as I can be for this. lol

Radar link: http://www.kmbc.com/weather/16241998/iframe.html?qs=;longname=;shortname=Interactive;days=&ib_wxwidget=true#HEARSTWX=http%3A//www.kmbc.com/weather/16241998/iframe.html%3Fqs%3D%3Blongname%3DRadar%3Bshortname%3DRadar

Ric, I'll have to show that Spud bar to my dad. We occasionally have to dig up a shrub. Tree stumps we just burn. lol

(Zone 7a)

19º and Dyson Dark.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Pep it will be hitting here tomorrow night roughly 12 hours after you get it.
Staying the same length w/ the same forecast.
I should be home before it hits and hopefully it will be cleaned up by Tuesday morning! Yeh Right! lol!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Cute little guys Celia!

I come home just as the worst of it hits!! Wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for all the hills. LOL

(Zone 7a)

Thanks! The the yard is covered with them in the daytime. I have a pic I've been trying to adjust so you can count birdies. I lost count...

This is the best I can do. I counted 25, at least.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Well the Memorial went pretty well.

We got there just as most of the rest of the Family.
In fact we all parked right together.
Nice touching service.
Psalms, a couple of songs done live w/ piano and violin, a handling grief sermon or lesson.
Then they read the roll of all the people who had died there in Sept/Oct.
As their names were read someone from the Family lit a candle.
Maybe 10 out of the probably 100 people were represented.
Then they gave each Family a cut long stemmed rose.
And of course all the fresh wounds were opened.... but it's better they are openly grieving than....
Robyn's OK. Like me she celebrates the Life.

(Zone 7a)

Glad you made it home okay, Pepper!

(Zone 7a)

Oh, Ric. Hugs to you and Robyn.

Celia, it hasn't hit here yet. But I get off work when the worst of it hits. Probably should have written it a bit better. lol

Love the pics of the birds too!!

Hugs from here too!!

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

Nothing like reading this to keep things in perspective.
Tomorrow morning, we're going to get snow for the SECOND time this Winter. First was on my birthday, 12/26. I've attached a picture of me out in it at work (you have to look REAL close to see the flakes).
This December was the coldest since the early 1900's. If we do get snow, it's usually not until late January.
Thanks y'all! ;)
Barb

Thumbnail by Beach_Barbie
(Zone 7a)

Oh, duh! LOL I read that...

(Zone 7a)

Welcome to sunny North Carolina!!! LOL

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

Yep! The hubby won't be riding his motorcycle to work tomorrow.

(Zone 7a)

My DH is always sad when winter comes because he can't drive his Super Sports Car.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Winter Storm Warning
(Expires: Wednesday January 12 12:00AM EST)

the national weather service in wilmington has issued a winter
storm warning for heavy snow, which is in effect from 1 am
tuesday to midnight est tuesday night. the winter storm watch is
no longer in effect.

snow will overspread the region from the southwest late tonight
into tuesday morning. the snow will continue into tuesday
afternoon before tapering off to scattered snow showers tuesday
night. snow accumulations of 3 to 5 inches will be possible by
tuesday evening.

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Here's weather forecast:

Today: Snow. High near 31. Wind chill values as low as 18. East wind 5 to 7 mph becoming north. Chance of precipitation is 90%. Total daytime snow accumulation of 1 to 2 inches possible.

Tonight: Snow, mainly before midnight. Low around 17. Wind chill values as low as 5. North wind between 6 and 14 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of around an inch possible.

Tuesday: Scattered flurries. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 21. Wind chill values as low as 3. Northwest wind between 10 and 15 mph, with gusts as high as 21 mph.

I took this pic on my back yard deck with bird feeder....

Thumbnail by JuJu55

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.