January Weather; Welcome 2011

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Happy New Year!
Looking for better weather for 2011.

We came from;
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1146135/

No party here tonight. Thought about going into town for a bit. Then opened the door & changed my mind. Snowing, blowing, good night to sit in a nice warm house.

Wishing all a very good year!
Bernie

This message was edited Dec 31, 2010 9:17 PM

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

Hi and Happy New Year Bernie and Bertha. I hope you two don't freeze to death before spring gets here. LOL! Wishing the best for everyone in the new year 2011. Wonder how many times I will write that wrong for the next few weeks?

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

66° here today and SUNNY!

Currently 60°!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Ric and Robyn and

Thumbnail by henryr10
Lewisville, TX(Zone 7b)

just relax & have a hot chocolate!!!!

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

I had a bowl of chocolate ice cream with chocolate syrup & whipped cream. We are though cookies up here.

Friends of ours here have a brother or cousin living in Lewisville, TX. We have a picture of your water tower on the restaurant wall.

(Zone 7a)

12º and temps are falling quickly. We had another 3"-4" of snow on top of yesterday's. Yikes!

Happy New Year, All!!!

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Still 59° here but the T-Storm is just about 10 miles out.
No bad weather but we'll drop 25° in high temp tomorrow.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Beautiful day here. Sunshine and warm temps with no wind. Let the goats and the horse out. I got 3 eggs today!!! It didn't rain so I was able to get the work done in comfort. Supposed to start raining tomorrow.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Started raining at about 2AM..... hasn't stopped since.
But the Temps have remained fairly steady.
Still 55°...

Ric

Vail, AZ

Happy new year. The new year started out with a hard breeze, down to 22 here. I already lost some plants yesterday. I hope I don't lose my Jackeranda. It's too big to do much frost protection on. I do have Christmas lights on it,hopefully that will save most of it.

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

HAPPY NEW YEARS!

Joplin Regional Airport
Lat: 37.18 Lon: -94.5 Elev: 982
Last Update on Jan 1, 6:53 am CST

Fair

19 °F
(-7 °C)
Humidity: 54 %
Wind Speed: W 9 MPH
Barometer: 30.13" (1021.2 mb)
Dewpoint: 5 °F (-15 °C)
Wind Chill: 8 °F (-13 °C)

I am safe from tornado....

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

HAPPY NEW YEAR, EVERYBODY!

BP: glad the DGS is doing well.
Glad you are safe, Rusty!

Our bad weather moved out--now we are just cold--currently 22F BRRRRRR
High today of 39F

"Life is not about waiting for storms to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!"

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Happy New Year.

5AM -1/1/11 zero degrees, 20MPH wind from SW
Coldest day of the year. LOL!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Glad you're OK Rusty!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Kinda strange weather!
The rain just moved out after about 8 hours of steady.
We got about 1/2" no violent weather at all, just rain.
It's STILL 55° here at 10AM.
Heading down to freezing by midnight.
It was forecast to be 40° at this time.

Long range shows the Normal temps..... 40°/25° for the next 10 days w/ mostly sun no precip.....
Looks like the winter weather is finally stabilizing.

Here's our new clump of Arum italica.
Put in the ground fully dormant late in the Summer.
I had to trust the grower that it was even in the pot....lol!
For those of you new to this plant it starts growing in late fall... stays through the winter.....
flowers and seeds in very early spring....
seeds ripen as the plant goes dormant when the summer heat kicks up.
And it IS an Aroid (Elephant Ear)

Thumbnail by henryr10
Fayetteville, AR(Zone 7b)

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!

Bad weather yesterday for a lot of people, hope everyone is safe! The squall line was bright reds and pinks to the west of us, but by the time it got here it had completely fizzled and we didn't even get one drop of rain, so that was good! Weird how the weather works, the squall line went over Mau's before it went over my house, by about 2 hours, and I live quite a bit southwest of her.

I'll try to catch up today, I'm going to take the Christmas tree down and put away all the decorations until next year. :~(

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

16° with a high of 19°
Through 4pm: Partly cloudy with strong winds. Temperatures steady near the upper teens. Winds WSW at 25 to 30 mph.
Windy it is.

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!! This will be a better year because we will make it so! Think happy thoughts every day!

Bernie, thank you for the new thread!

I'm playing catch up, so no comments.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Started raining here before daylight. Temp was 50* when I got out at 9:30 to let the dog out.

Savannah, MO(Zone 5b)

HAPPY NEW YEAR everyone. It's windy, cold, but sunny here in N.W. Missouri today.
Unbelievable weather the past few days and those severe storms that slammed our friends to the south of us. Thoughts and prayers are with each of you.
Cuckoo

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

46° (Wind Chill 41°) and dropping!
Brrrrrr!
After the 67°, Sunny and Calm yesterday it feels Frigid! LOL!

(Zone 7a)

We got to 3º last night and it has warmed to 18º.

Glad you're okay, Rusty!

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Yesterday morning the temps were nice and warm with no wind. A couple hours later the temp dropped about 10 degrees and the wind was howling again. I went outside to get carts at one point and turned right back in and got a sweater. The wind was strong enough to knock the wind out of me and to burn my eyes a bit. By last night we were into the middle teens.

Today it's sunny and temps are pretty decent. Probably mid 30s or a bit warmer. No heavy coat needed unless you are gonna be out for awhile.

Happy New Year everybody!! Hope everyone had a good new years!! We went to a friend's house and played dominos and just chatted and caught up on stuff going on. Had a great time. Going to hockey game tonight.

Creek just down the road from my house. It's a treacherous spot there sometimes. I'll have to get a pic of the road and bridge over this when I get a chance.

Thumbnail by pepper23
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

It's an icy west wind and since there is no mail, I've made all the trips outdoors that I'm going to make.

Cajun, the wind came up last night, all thru the night and is still going on. It feels much colder than 20*. I'll bet 50 was nice and your snow must be melting.

Cuckoo, so good to see you! I agree with the crazy weather. I'm glad you were safe.

Ric, frigid is right. It's not your imagination!

Celia, winter is back for you too.

Pepper, sounds like a nice way to ring in the New Year.

Love the creek!

Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

Freezing today, 10F, but sunny. I worked today and I'm beat.
Happy New Year to all!

Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

HAPPY NEW YEAR Adina. Get rested up and enjoy yourself! A nice family photo! Does Ozgur get there soon?

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Got the camera out.
Resident rabbit, just after it chased off our big tomcat.

Thumbnail by CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Some of the cabinet door parts.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Lumber rack I have been building last few days.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Our egg producers for next summer. Just over 2 months old.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Cold January sunset.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Copy-Cat.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Really nice chickens. Are they RSLs?

Hope you guys all stay warm and in out of the wind. 3* Brrrr Glad it warmed up here.

Pretty tree. I took mine down. Only took about 30 minutes because it is really small and didn't have much on it. Rearranged the furniture and cleaned the room up.

I haven't played dominoes in forever. I don't know if I'd remember how. I do remember I enjoyed it. Is that ice in the side of the creek?

So glad everyone was safe from the storms. Looks like they were bad and afr reaching.

It has rained here off and on all day but never hard. It's still raining now and it's falling harder now than all day. Starting to get colder too. It was shirt sleeve weather all day except for the rain.

We have church in the morning. First time we have been able to have regular service since the beginning of December. But it will be sad. A dear lady from our church took her own life yesterday morning. It is so awful. She was bipolar and had been hospitalized. They had changed her meds and sent her home but she was not well. Her wake will be Monday at the church and her funeral will be Tuesday.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Sorry to hear that Cajun.
My BIL's brother is bipolar... it's a daily struggle.... mainly to keep him on the meds.

Your weather was ours yesterday.
The backside of that front is cold but we had sun most of the day.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

They are called Gold Star Layers. Don't get very big, 4½ lbs, but lay around 90%.
Very tame. Nice big brown eggs. About 1 out of 15 will be jumbo. Most are extra large.
They will start laying end of March & eggs will be nice size when market opens 1st of May.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

12° with a high of 28°
Through 11am: Clear with temperatures steady or slowly warming to the mid teens. Winds WSW at 5 to 10 mph.
Sunny to partly cloudy. Winds SW at 10 to 15 mph.
Sunrise: 7:32 am
Dyson Dark

Bernie, wonderful pictures! We have a big buck rabbit hanging around too! Wow on all the cabinet doors! It comes to a lumber rack doesn't it?
Love the chickens. I thought maybe Rhode Island Reds. When DD's hens were just laying I had a whole carton of double yolks.
Copy cat, laughing! I have a ''cow-bird" (a bird sitting on a cow's back obviously :o)

Cajun, I'm so very sorry for your church member. It's a hard life, being bipolar.

Ric, sympathies for your BIL's brother.

Bernie, you'll have a wonderful open market with those eggs!

Well, the cold front is here. I don't have any outdoor chores, so it will be nice to have a ''regular'' Sunday.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Sun.
No wind!
Step son & family supposed to come for dinner today. Another turkey & trimmings.

I don't understand bipolar, so won't comment.

I see the Big Ten is really chocking in bowl games. I think it is entirely to long from the last regular games until the bowl games.

Last regular games for NFL today. Be nice not to have to hear all that hoopla anymore.
Sick & tired of hearing, "Brett Farve this, Brett Farve that". Vikings would be farther ahead if he would have stayed away! 2 years, pile of money & absolutely nothing for next year.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Bernie, that's cold! Wow, can you eat another turkey dinner:o) I'm not into sports at all, so I won't comment.

Have a nice day!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

32° (Wind Chill 23°) here.
Less than half what it was Friday!

We should be at 40 or so all week.
I'm off tomorrow too.
It's our 1st Holiday of the year.
I get a week's vacation time now and another week in August.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Ric, this is a nice time to have vacation. DH always worked his days for this week, and another in June.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Bernie: great photos! laughing at the "copy-cat"!
Ric and Cajun: I have known/do still know several people who are bi-polar. They all have trouble with their meds--taking them regularly, that is. The problem seems to be with a lot of bi-polar people is that once they are on the meds and doing a lot better, then they decide they don't need the meds anymore and take themselves off without consulting their doctor. It's a dangerous thing to do. I also know of one woman who took her own life after taking herself off her meds. It's a sad situation. Bernie, you can look up "bi-polar" on Google and found all kinds of info about it, if you are interested.
Ric: enjoy your first day of vacation of the year!

It's warmer today, if you can call 40F warmer! LOL I know that sounds like a regular heat wave to some of you. Friday and I managed to get in a mile walk today but my face was cold by the time we got back. The rest of me was covered up good so I was warm everywhere else and Friday had on his little camo-coat. He hates that thing and I have to chase him around to get it on him but I don't want somebody reporting me to the ASPCA for making him walk without a coat on! :o~

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

High of mid 30s with sunshine and a breeze.

BP, the creek does have some ice on it. We've been cold enough that it is still partially frozen.

My dad's Christmas gift from my future SIL. Only took her 2 hours to make it.

Thumbnail by pepper23

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.