Dyeing silk scarves...join in the fun!

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

You've got everything you need, and yes, freezing is an issue for the Setasilk. The acid dyes are powder, but the other is liquid. My last order had some liquids, so I opted for a faster shipment. I try to get all of my liquids on hand before the last of October. I try not to order liquids until March after that....but I just HAD to try the newest thing...leather paints....sigh...(sorry, no pictures yet...I was over enthusiastic on how much free time I'd have)

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Melody Rose will get me on FB...sorry, forgot to add that.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Thanks! Sounds like I just need to hang tight on my order for a while.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I'm not on Facebook to see those ... but, boy, I do frequent thrift stores! (understatement). That's where I always think of going first. I'm a regular at GW. ^_^

It has been years (shhhh, don't tell anybody) since I've done tie dye. I'm going to work on those first and see if I can get something a bit different than the usual going. Then probably on to the silks. I enjoy working with fabric.

So, do you do your dying inside?

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Yep, tie dye right in my kitchen. I just hang them on the line for pictures after they're done.
You might see if the Methodist church has a thrift store in your area...ours is the go-to thrift store. Cheap prices and nice merchandise. (I don't buy new clothes)

Thumbnail by melody
Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Groovy! ^_^

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Chances are, you did macrame when it was popular too....

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

LOL ... you know it. That, too, is making a comeback, isn't it?

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Never went out of style at my house... http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/741/

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

My Inner Hippie is lovin' it. If it becomes mainstream???

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

I haven't ordered dyes or paint yet. Too much going on. (We're leaving for the lake in the morning for a funeral. Our dear neighbor up there wrapped his SUV around a tree and was killed.)
I did want to tell you tho, that I received a January Chico's catalog today and it's filled with ikat print clothes for spring. They look a lot like the tie-dye scarves Melody shared. The cover featured a woman with a scarf and purse, both ikat...and inside there were long sleeved t-shirts, skirts, and jackets. As soon as life slows down a bit...I gotta try tie-dye. ( I was too prissy for it in the late 60s!!!!)

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Very sobering. You just never know what a day will bring, do you?

I generally want just about everything I see in the Chico's catalog. ;-) Chico's and the seed and gardening catalogs could keep me broke this time of year. ^_^

I haven't tie-dyed in ages so I'm a rank amateur again too ... should be interesting. I've always liked the look. I remember using big enamel pans outdoors to do the dying so that's why I wondered about doing it inside. I'm so messy. But what the heck?

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

My condolences as well.How sad.

I put down plastic on my counters as drips and spills happen. Clorox is my friend.

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Well, I have NEVER tie dyed anything in my life, so this is going to be an experience! I am HOPING to get my sons to attempt it with me. My oldest has a very artistic eye - and I am hoping he can turn out some nice ones that maybe he could sell (finding a market to let people see them will be tough in our area) but he desperately needs to raise money for his "cultural exchange" trip to China and Kyle is trying to raise money for his mission trip to Africa and I thought these MIGHT be able to help. Plus, i have been wanting to learn how to do this for over a year....... I just thought that MAYBE if they could sell come, that it might help them earn their money. I eventually REALLY want to try actual painting on the scarves, but not sure that I can handle that drying or setting process.

Genna

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

I'll be more than happy to guide ya'll with some tie dye tee shirts as well...the process is just a touch different, but very simple once you get the hang of it.

You'll need fiber reactive dye, soda ash (sodium carbonate from a swimming pool store or fertilizer store is fine) White cotton. (cotton-polyester blends result in pastels) rubberbands or twine, squeeze bottles, and a bunch of empty plastic wal mart bags (or similar) ...and some latex gloves..

Tie your designs (there are a few You-tube videos that will help) soak in the soda ash water for about 20 min, squeeze excess and you can either squeeze dye on then, or let the piece dry before you do. The dry pieces will result in deeper colors, but all of the shirts you see in my pictures are done with damp shirts. (I roll them in a towel before dyeing) There is no need to submerge in a pot of dye, just squeeze the color on where you want it and wrap it up in a plastic bag...with no holes. 24 hours later untie and rinse in 3 cycles of hot water.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Thanks for the information Melody! I'm waiting until the weather gets a little warmer before I order my dyes. It's going to be 14 here tonight. But I do plan to order and try my hand at it. It will be my first attempt. So I will definitely need your help! I got my Chico's catalog yesterday and like someone else said the whole catalog is full of tie dye.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

"Everything old is new again...."

Yeah, the high here was 25 today...wind chill was at 6 degrees when I got up. Gonna be in the teens tonight too. Spring can't get here too early for me. I've had all the winter I want. We had the first white Christmas in 10 years and now, I'm done with the stuff.

I've got a bunch of shirts I'm working on. I'll take pictures as I go so ya'll can see how I do it. (as soon as I get rid of this nasty head cold...kinda takes the wind out of my sails as far as anything extra goes)

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Hope you recover fast Melody. .

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

It is more of an annoyance than something that is putting me in bed. Just wish I could breathe....

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Supposed to snow tomorrow...if it isn't too nasty out, I may do some snow dye.

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

what is snow dye????

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

I use the fiber reactive dyes that I have for the tee shirts and the snow distributes the dye in random patterns.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/2822/

It is fun and easy!

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Oh my gosh! This AFTER we just got rid of our snowfall!! My kids, especially my daughter and more artistic son, would have LOVED this! They are 17, 18 and 23 - and although they enjoyed the snow, they would have loved doing something like this too. guess it might have been too cold during part of it. Guess I need to get some scarfs ordered although WHO KNOWS how long before we get another snow like that!

The results were beautiful!! I had planned to only order the silk scarves, but after seeing this , I guess I need to order some rayon ones as well. i still think this may be a good way for them to raise money for their mission trips ....but I am having a hard time figuring out a way that they can market them locally!

Thanks for sharing............
Genna

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

The rayon are a rayon/silk blend and are quite nice, but the 100% silk works too. The rayon blend has a pattern that makes the scarf very interesting

Is there a farmer's market in town and if there is, do they allow products other than produce? (some do, some don't) Other outlets are local clothing boutiques, state park gift shops, museum gift shops and church bazaars. If there are any local festivals that have vendors set up, you might have a kiosk and sell a bunch on a weekend. Every little town celebrates something, from The Mosquito Festival in TX to the Bean Fest right there in Arkansas. (Mt. View)

If you have a quilt shop in town, hand dyed cotton fabric is a very desirable item that they would probably be interested in.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I remember reading about that. That's awesome!

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Snow dye this weekend.

It was so cold Sat. that everything froze solid. I had to wait till Sunday afternoon when stuff melted enough to work.

Thumbnail by melody
Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Here's what it looked like Sunday as the snow was melting...

Thumbnail by melody
Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Finished snow dyed fabric.

Thumbnail by melody
Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Some overdyed denim bluejean legs...I use these for lots of stuff. Cram the leg in a pint jar tightly and pour the dye over it. Put lid on. Give it a shake whenever you walk by for a day or so...rinse and iron...ready to go for any project...

Thumbnail by melody
Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Wow! Those are all pretty cool. I'll have to remember that for the next snow. Surely there will be one since it isn't Feb yet!! Sigh! But I heard a good term for it ... rather than late-winter, it's now pre-Spring. ^_^

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I am going a bit off topic here, but do you felt? I just saw the neatest article about turning old sweaters, etc. into felt and would like to try that.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

On my list of to-do's...I have roving and the tool to create designs, but haven't actually sat down and done anything...

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

I'm supposed to take a class called "Flower pounding and transfer'' with a friend. I looked up flower pounding this morning and found a video on youtube. I don't think I'll take the class now. It looked easy...I just have to wait for the flowers to bloom in spring! I'll use my $25. for fabric dyes when it gets warmer!

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Those are beautiful Melody.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

♪♪♪♫♫♪♪♪ Happy Birthday, Melody! ♪♪♪♫♫♪♪♪

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Happy Birthday Melody!

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Wishing you a very very Happy Birthday

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Thanks ya'll!
I had a great day yesterday!

I'm going to use the last of this snow that is still hanging around to to a little snow dye. It is melting quick, but we had a foot or so, so it will take a while.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Hey ya'll....you can use ice if you don't have snow....I used crushed ice from my fridge and let it melt into my kitchen sink.

Thumbnail by melody
Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Here is the finished silk scarf that was underneath the ice....

Thumbnail by melody

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.