Dyeing silk scarves...join in the fun!

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

We sort of hijacked the Randolph's thread with our discussion on scarf dyeing, so I'm giving it its own thread.
We can discuss scarves and techniques and everything will be easy to find.

These are scarves done with photo reactive fabric paint... I helped mom do these for Christmas gifts.

Thumbnail by melody
Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Couldn't get the link to work....but I found ya. Thank you for starting the new thread! What size scarves do you usually use? and do you put yours in a frame?? I remember them talking about using a stretcher or frame, but maybe that is because I was looking at more detailed type painting......???

I really don't need a new hobby, but I sure think they are beautiful...............

Genna

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

I love the look of these type of scarves too.....

Thumbnail by gen2026
Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

The acid dyes are steam set, but in this case, we use the microwave to do the job. For silk that is painted with a design that can't bleed a bit, it isn't practical, but for the tie dye, it isn't a problem.

Your son will love doing this...Korey isn't artistic at all and he's finishing up pre-law, so he's going to be broke for the foreseeable future as well.

We soak the scarf blanks in the acid water (a cup of white vinegar to a gallon of water) then we blot excess water with a towel and drop in a zip loc bag.

Dye is dripped in the bag sparingly and it is sealed except for about 2" (gives it room to expand) We nuke it in the microwave for 1 minute at 50% power and do this 3 times, turning the baggie over each time. If the baggie is completely sealed it will explode...trust me...

This strikes the dye. We generally use our lighter colors to start with. We take the scarf from the bag and rinse. Then drop it back in the acid water to soak again. After about 5 min, we remove it, blot it, and then we tie the designs. Use white cotton twine, synthetics or rubberbands could melt. I use cotton crochet thread.

We tie the damp scarf with tie dye patterns and then take a foam paintbrush and daub the darker colors on. This is nuked again for the 3 minutes at 50%, in one minute increments.

Rinse and carefully cut the strings. (I've cut scarves...sad voice of experience...so be careful) Rinse, hang to dry and when almost dry, press with steam iron.

All there is to it...cheap, creative and no one will have one like it. (the expensive scarf blanks are about $5...and go down from there)

The stretchers and the detailed painting are more advanced. You need more equipment and there is a higher learning curve. This gets you going, produces spectacular results and you'll get your feet wet without a big investment.

Thumbnail by melody
Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

I like those....... how many colors do you recommend buying to experiment?? I can't tell how many colors you used on each one. This might be easier if I had ANY experience tie dying but I don't! :)

Sounds like something we could handle........ which of the blanks do you recommend using? and which size?

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

My article on snow dye...with fiber reactive dyes: http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/2822/
Sun printing with photo reactive fabric paint: http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/1311/

This picture is an old khaki skirt I cut up and used the photo reactive fabric paint on...I'll make a cover for my Kindle with it.

Thumbnail by melody
Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

For starters in the acid dyes, get some neutrals and a few primaries.

I reccomend
Vanilla
Straw
Amethyst
Yellow
Blue
Red
Black

You can mix variations and tones with any of these. I used 3 or 4 colors per scarf as a rule, but the fantastic thing is...if you don't like it, go again.
The cheaper flat crepe or silk satin scarves look great. Make sure you get longer ones...anything less than 60" looks skimpy when worn.

I taught everyone at last year's KYRU how to dye scarves and no one had any previous experience...here are some of them drying. all done by fellow DG'rs...not me.

Thumbnail by melody
Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Notice the black, yellow and blue one second from the end in the shot above this one...that was Mom's and she hated it.

I put it in a baggie and dumped some amethyst over all of it and here's the result (the red one) So, there are no hopeless causes...just overdye till you like it.

Thumbnail by melody
Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Wow - now that is my kind of art.....that is a TOTALLY different look!! I might like a project that I can't mess up!! Amazing how you transformed it!

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

I don't need another hobby either!!! I did read your article on about the photo reactive paint on DG and printed it out. Glad you brought this back up again. Don't really have a selection of leaves to choose from right now but would like to try it in the spring. I make jewelry, so I guess I could also add scarves!LOL

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Silk plant leaves work too as long as they are the ones that are fabric-like and not stiff. You can just rinse them off and put them back to wherever he were displayed.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

This sounds like a real expensive hobby too . You do have some beautiful scarves . Love that one you posted a picture of Genna.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Not really. The scarf blanks average about $4.50 each and the dyes average about $4 a tub (and that goes a looooong way) I've done over 100 scarves and haven't much put a dent in my dye.

The only other things you'll need are a jug of vinegar, ball of twine and some zip locs (Dollar Store brand works great) I use old pint canning jars to keep my dye mixed in...mixed up dye is good forever.

For the return on the investment, it is pretty economical. (I'm selling the scarves in the Quilt Museum for $25 average) Doesn't take many to recoup your investment. Another plus is, if you need a quick gift that looks like a million bucks...you're set, and assured that no one will receive a duplicate.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I didn't realize they'd be so cheap to make.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

No one else does either, but they're a lot of bang for your buck.

And really fun to do!

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

So are you going to let the cat out of the bag and tell us the craft project for the next KYRU??? Or do you know yet? Don't have to if you don't want to. ^_^

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Hmmm...don't really know yet.
I usually have a couple of suggestions that folks vote on, but haven't come up with anything yet.

I try to do something that folks may not have had the chance to experience, so let me think on it a bit.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

The cover I made for my new Kindle this weekend. I didn't use the leaf print. This is from an old blue-jean leg. I overdyed it with fiber-reactive dye (different process) and sewed up a custom Kindle cover. The Kindle is held in place with velcro on the back.

Here's the outside.

Thumbnail by melody
Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

And the inside...

I added a snap to the closure tab and it is safe, snug and easy to hold.

Thumbnail by melody
Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Very nice!!!!!!!!!!!! Now my question is....what is a Kindle???

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

It is an electronic reading device. Holds about 3500 books. Amazon sells them. You download them wirelessly and have an entire library contained in the unit. It isn't backlit like a computer screen so it is easy on the eyes...love it!

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Thanks!! I've thought about getting one....the Kindle must be the one my son was telling me about. He said they made one that looks a lot like a regular piece of paper and is easier on the eye.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Yes, the screen looks like paper and is easy to look at. You just can't use it in the dark unless you have a booklight, which is no big deal.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

The fabric with the leaves is soooo gorgeous!
I've been lurking and showed DH the scarves yesterday, telling him I'd like to try a couple one day. He suggested we go get the dyes right then (before the football games). Our Michaels don't carry anything but Tulip paints now. We went to all of them near us. I guess I'll have to order, which isn't a bad thing! Thanks for sharing the instructions.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Here's where my dye and scarves come from: http://www.dharmatrading.com/

They are fantastic to do business with and ship immediately...I don't think you can find these dyes at Michael's or Hobby Lobby. They sometimes have the Pebeo Setacolor photo reactive paints, but not the professional dyes. Get the Acid dyes to do the scarves with. Fiber Reactives are fine for cotton or rayon, but you need the acid dye for silk or wool.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the link. I am going to do some when the weather warms so want to get the supplies ahead of time. :)

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks Melody, I'll click right on over there!
Don't I need the photo reactive paints to work with the leaves? I wanted to try that first. I want the dyes for the scarves too. I should have written that I was looking for the Pebeo paints first...and when they didn't have them at Michael's, I asked for the dyes, which they didn't have either. I may be able to find both at the art stores near the University now that I think of it.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Yes, to do the leaves, you need the Pebeo products. For leaves on silk scarves, get the Setasilk...they leave the scarf with a nicer 'hand' than the heavier Setacolor. The Khaki skirt I did with the leaves was the Setacolor product though. Michael's generally has these, but Dharma has similar products.You can use Pro Dye too: http://www.prochemicalanddye.com/ They set up as a vendor at the Paducah Quilt show every year and they get a hefty chunk of my change as well. Nice folks..

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

You will post pictures, won't you, Sandi? I still luv it to this day. I know, I know ... it dates me. LOL. But I do luv it! :)

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Looks like I need everything! On my way to the website now!

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Don't hesitate to ask if you have questions!

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Thanks for the link!!! I don't need to add another hobby, but I think I'm going to have to order some supplies for this!!!!

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Melody.....Thanks, but I'm afraid I'm gonna need your credit card also ...

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Oh I am second in line for her card.... I love the scarves. I really love the photo- reactive effects too. I love what you did to your mother's scarf, Melody. That scarf Genna posted is one I would love to have. I wear alot of winter white, beige, and neutrals when I dress up. How would you do one like it? Is it Photo reactive? I do not need another hobby either. I haven't made my first pot head yet. LOL I broke my leaf you helped me make Sandi.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Cindy sometime you can repair a broken leaf. Just mix up some cement and stick back together and put some extra on the back side. You might put some glue on it first.

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Thanks Charlotte I will have to see if I have all the parts.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

So, I checked out dyes at Hobby Lobby. My idea is to get some of their regular inexpensive dyes for tie dying, buy a few inexpensive clothing items somewhere and reintroduce myself to the art of tie dying before I launch into the expensive silk things. ;-)

I have been looking for an idea for things to sell at our Farmers' Market and the nicer silk scarves might be just the thing. I don't recall anyone selling tie dye last year but I really wasn't looking for it then so don't know for sure. If so, I don't think they had silk scarves. I am impressed at the price point at which they are selling them at the Quilt Show. I believe that would be a bit more than the market would bear here (no pun intended). But around $18 $19 might work. That's still a tidy profit.

Now if the weather would just warm up a bit I could get started. Is it Spring yet? ^_^

Melody, do you do your dying indoors? I'm such a klutz sometimes I'm afraid to try it.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Tie dye is wonderful and that's how I got started. Repeat after me,,,"thrift stores, thrift stores, thrift stores...." I get most of my white cottons there. You'd be surprised at how many things you can get there. My local thrift store has 'dollar a bag day' several times a year and I load up. Whatever you can cram into a WM bag only costs a dollar. 12 tee shirts will go in a bag, so that is less than ten cents a shirt. Colors are also good, you get a different experience, but a yellow shirt that you tie dye blue will come out yellow and green...still nice.

Tie dye takes fiber reactive dyes. You tie the shirts, put the dye on and then wrap them up and let them process for 24 hours still damp. That's how I did my Kindle cover. Here are some of my shirts...these should go over really well at a Farmer's Market.

I have quite a few posted on my facebook page. Kathy Ann has seen them. If anyone wants to see them, just friend me.

Thumbnail by melody
Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Melody I've gone to the Dharma site and put items in a shopping cart that I think I need but before I actually place the order I wanted to run it by you to make sure I'm right.
I want to do the tye die scarves and also paint some with the leaves. This is what I've put in my cart.
Blank silk scarves 14 x 72
Setasilk starter set
Dharma Acid dye in the colors you recommended.
Have I picked the right things and are there any other items I need?
Also they are warning that the dye could freeze during shipping from CA in the winter and recommend considering a faster shipping method. Is this something I should be concerned about? Should I wait until later to order? Thanks a bunch for your help!!

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

We cross posted. I'm on facebook also. What do I look for to friend you?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.