How/when to grown FENNEL?

silver spring, MD(Zone 7a)

There's an empty lot next to my mother-in-law's just accross from San Francisco that has volunter fennel growing on it. The plants are over 6' tall and the bulbs are equally huge. They've been there forever. I wish I had a picture to show you guys, they're unbelievable.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Borrow someones camera if you don't have one!! We want to see it!! LOL!

Oops see now it is SF....well next time you visit. LOL!

This message was edited Jun 1, 2011 9:16 AM

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

yehudith,
you must take a picture.
Fennel grew like that while I was growing in Italy. That's why it is a very common vegetable there.
Here in TX gets too hot ... but I will still find out when to plant. It is my mission.

Pleasant Hill, CA(Zone 9b)

I started from seeds in early February (high temperatures around 70). I moved them into their beds (with other brassicas) in late March (high temps still around 70). They are doing great. I had no idea it was a challenge. I have them next to kohlrabi. I harvested my first fennel on 5/23 (4 oz bulb).

Wow... I guess my tracker is working! Just look at all these stats!

I like to slice them thin and toss with peeled oranges in a light champagne/olive oil/garlic/basil dressing... had it that was in Sicily many years ago... yum!

Thumbnail by happygirl345
Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

good job

Northern Michigan, MI(Zone 5a)

happygirl , that sounds delicious thanks for sharing. I still have my fingers crossed I will get sprouts and hope to try your recipe. =0)

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Let's try again this FENNEL.
I have started the seeds in september. Transplanted out in october.
Now my Fennel is starting to make the bulb ... Just a baby of 1"
Let's hope to have a better winter of last year. No crazy weather.

Thumbnail by drthor
Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

All 15 plants growing strong

Thumbnail by drthor
New Port Richey, FL

About 12 years ago somebody gave me 3 small plants that they thought would look good in my flower bed along with 3 yarrow plants. I planted all 6 and they absolutely thrived. The fennel made large bulbs I think the next year. They went through many hard freezes and 98 degree summers and always looked like they just came out of the greenhouse. We moved to care of FIL and when I went back 2 years later to sell the place they were one of the few things still growing. I've lived in 3 different places since and can not get either to grow for me. The only thing I can think of thats different is the soil there was really sandy even for Fl.

Gainesville, FL(Zone 8b)

Quote from drthor :
Those are the only 2 fennels I did harvest this year in the spring.

It may be hard to wait, but if you are growing a standard (not F1 hybrid) variety and getting just one or two bulbs, you might want to sacrifice the crop for a couple of years and save seed of the plants that produced bulbs (removing the flower stalks of the non-bulbing ones before they produce pollen). They might be just different enough genetically to have an advantage in your area, and that advantage may be passed on to their offspring. That's how most modern vegetables got to where they are, after all, and it needn't take too long to produce a strain that is better-adapted to your soil and temperatures.

-Rich

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks Rich, but I really think the problem last year was the 4 days of crazy freeze we got in Dallas, remember during the Super Bowl? How embarassing for Dallas .. yuk
I am sure I will have Fennel bulbs this year .... yeaaahh

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Question.....I have had fennel and they made bulbs last year. I didn't cut them, just let them go, since I grow it for butterflies only. If I harvest the bulb, when would that be and will the fennel come back from the roots? Do you cut it off at ground level or pull it up by the roots?

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

I always harvested the fennel removing the bulbs . I cut at the base and eat it.
I am guessing that , just like all the other veggies, the taste will be different after the plant flowers.
If you want to grow the fennel for the butterflies you shall grow the kind that doesn't make any bulbs, but just leaves called "wild Fennel"
In this article you can see how the "wild Fennel" grows wild in the Tuscany region in Italy.
Fennel pollen has become a big hit with chefs in America. It sounds so exotic and carries a big price tag. The wild fennel flower is basically a dot of yellow pollen on the end of a small stem, surrounded by miniscule petals, almost too small to notice. A dozen or more of these form the flower, so when you’re collecting fennel pollen you’re in effect collecting the flowers.
Enjoy:
http://www.eccolacucina.com/2011/10/09/wild-fennel/

Gainesville, FL(Zone 8b)

Quote from drthor :
Fennel pollen has become a big hit with chefs in America. It sounds so exotic and carries a big price tag. The wild fennel flower is basically a dot of yellow pollen on the end of a small stem, surrounded by miniscule petals, almost too small to notice. A dozen or more of these form the flower, so when you’re collecting fennel pollen you’re in effect collecting the flowers.
Enjoy:
http://www.eccolacucina.com/2011/10/09/wild-fennel/

I bought a small amount a few months back, and I can tell you the aroma alone is almost overwhelming - fennel seed on steroids, with a touch of floral sweetness missing from the seeds. I haven't worked up the nerve try it yet - I think it would be very easy to overpower a dish. But if you like the flavor and aroma of fennel, it's pure heaven.

-Rich

Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

I use fennel seeds on pork chops and love the flavor.

Is there a difference between the fennel that makes a bulb and the seeds purchased from the health food store?

I've been thinking about trying to grow fennel from the Frontier brand of seeds I buy.

http://www.frontiercoop.com/

Southern NJ, United States(Zone 7a)

Those culinary fennel seeds might have been treated so they don't sprout, but you could always test some. I do think they are different varieties, though.

Gainesville, FL(Zone 8b)

Quote from HoneybeeNC :
Is there a difference between the fennel that makes a bulb and the seeds purchased from the health food store?

I think greenhouse_gal has got it right. A lot of seed sold for culinary use is heat-treated to eliminate weevil eggs and other potential pests. I believe the "wild" type plants are more prolific and early producers of seed, so assuming you can get the culinary seeds to germinate, they are most likely NOT from one of the bulb (vegetable) varieties.

Of course, you could just contact Frontier at customercare@frontiercoop.com and ask...

-Rich

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

"Is there a difference between the fennel that makes a bulb and the seeds purchased from the health food store?"

Yes. The bulbing fennel is "Florence fennel". The kind grown for seed production (or foliage) is known as "sweet fennel", the more 'wild' one as mentioned above.

Rich, holler back when you try out the fennel pollen! I'd be interested to hear more about it.

Shoe

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Fennel Pollen - Fennel flowers taste like liquorice ... love it

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Licorice freak here, too, drthor! Especially the "real" licorice, like from Holland! Guess that is why I like fennel, too. Yummy!

Shoe

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Updated picture of my FENNEL.

Thumbnail by drthor
Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

So far so good.
Everything is alive and growing great !

Thumbnail by drthor
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

My fennel has made it fine so far also. They are the older plants, not new ones though.

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Sheila_Fw are your fennel the wild one?
what do you mean with "older plants"?

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I didn't harvest the bulb, just left it in the ground and it has started putting on more foliage now. This pic is from May last year.

Thumbnail by Sheila_FW
Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

yes it is the bulb fennel.
I still think you can eat the bulb. Slice it at the very bottom, I bet you still have time to have a new one to grow ... I think

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Pretty sure mine is not wild as I bought it at a nursery. I haven't ever eaten fennel, I just grow for the butterflies. They seemed to like the bronze better as it gets 6 foot tall. That picture is old one as I said. I have the beds full of leaves now but the fennel is growing nicely above. I will look later at the base and see how large the bulbs are. Those from last year sucumb to the heat and insects. At least the plants lived!

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

You never ate fennel???
OMG you are missing PARADISE.
Remove the bottom of th ebulb and slice it very thin.
olive oil and salt and pepper and YUMMY YUMMY

I also use Fennel sautee with onions as base of soups ... yummy

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Sounds good, and I will this year...after the first round of BSTs.

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

you can also sprinkle the flowers on your food. Delish !

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Fennel is doing great.
Tomorrow I will hill the soil up to start hiding the bulb.
I have ready that blanching the bulb will result in a sweeter taste.

Thumbnail by drthor
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I didn't know to heel it up, thanks.

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Fennel is growing wonderful. A lot of green leaves

Thumbnail by drthor
Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

and it is also making a good bulb

Thumbnail by drthor
So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

I'm impressed! Maybe I'll try growing some, sure can't afford to buy it @ $2.50/bulb

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Fennel is doing good.
I have added enough soil to cover the entire bulb ... I have read that in this way the bulb will grow sweeter.

Thumbnail by drthor
Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Fennel is growing great. Very tall and green leaves.
The bulb is also getting bigger.
Maybe I have found out the best time to grow Fennel ....weeeee

Thumbnail by drthor

That looks GREAT!! Congratulations. :)

I just started some seed a few days ago, now looking for signs of germination.

Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

Ha! Darius - we must be on the same "wave length"! I planted some on Feb 2nd and they are up and downstairs in the cool basement under lights and I am thinking of starting more. I have never grown the "bulbing kind" either.

I start them here in my room and then transfer any seedlings that need to grow on cool, into the basement. I have two shelves here with heat mats and also some space in the sunny window without heat for those who do not need it.

Alas, my only window with sun is owned by the cat!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.