CLOSED: Thanks for the Peppers & Tomatoes, Heather!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Evelyn,

I'm positive I didn't receive or send out anything labelled only "tomatofest". I will go back to my records and see what I recorded as sending you.

This message was edited Dec 23, 2010 7:09 PM

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Evenyn,

I just went back to my records. He's what I recorded as having mailed to you:

OTHER
* tomatillo purple
* long purple eggplant

PEPPERS
* ancho 101
* aussie black
* cayenne
* jalapeno

TOMATOES
* ace 55
* berkeley tie die green
* betterboy hybrid
* big zac
* black seaman
* brandywine yellow
* bulls heart
* chocolate cherry
* early wonder
* green zebra
* heinz 1439
* henderson's pink ponderosa
* isis candy
* jeff's mystery pink oxheart
* jersey devil
* juane flamme
* linnie's oxheart
* marianna's peace
* mortgage lifter
* orange strawberry
* oxheart
* pineapple
* rutgers
* san marzano
* santa cherry
* super snow white
* sylvan guame
* yellow pear

I just quickly compared to the list you typed above. You didn't mention "san marzano" or "super snow white" on your list. You might want to double check and see if it's one of those. I added these names to my spreadsheet as I was filling your envelope, so all of the seeds I list should be there.

Hope this helps. Thanks...Heather

This message was edited Dec 29, 2010 9:08 AM

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

Deejay and JenniferShipway were looking for Snow White Cherry Tomatoes. But I see you said "Super Snow White".

Corey

Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

Heather ~ Thanks so much for checking. As amatter of fact when I put all of my seeds away, I noticed a packet of 'Super Snow White' cherry. I was wondering where I received that one. I will check them later as they are all packed away for the holidays. I will be glad when they are over, and I can get back into the seeds. They ARE the holiday presents for me, anyway. I hope to give away any surplus to food banks, if I have any that is. Last year I did better on the cool-season veggies as I had lettuce until August 15th! Right now, I have Chinese Cabbabge, regular cabbage, and 2 kinds of broccoli growing. It was a very short season for the tomatoes since we had snow as late as May and early as November this year.

Merry Christmas, Feliz Navidad, Happy Channukah, Happy Kwanzaa and Good Fortune on the Winter Solstice to all!

~ Evelyn

Hopkinsville, KY

I grew both Snow White and Super Snow White last year; the latter was a little paler yellow and maybe very slightly larger than Snow White

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Joyeux Noel!

Thanks, kygreg2000!

mobile, AL(Zone 8a)

Sorry I completely forgot about the list of tomatoes, I have been so excited about the seeds and thinking of what to grow when. Well here's what I have, unfortunately I mixed all my tomato seeds together and just can't remember exactly what seeds I got in the swap and which ones I had before, so I am just going to list all the mater and peppers that I have.

Tomatoes
Mule Team
JD's Special C-Tex
Linnies oxheart
Berkeley Tiedye (green)
Cheroke purple
Isis Candy
White currant
Chapman
Black Cherry
Florida pink
Golden Jubilee
Amish Paste
Arbuznyi Watermelon
Early big Red
Prudens Purple
Texas Star
mortgage lifter ( 3 packs)
Yellow Pear
San Marzano
paul Robeson
Indian Stripe
Hillbilly
Black from Tula
Persimmon
Lillians yellow
Stump of the world
German johnson
Andrew raharts jumbo red
Texas wild
Neves azorean Red
Delicious
Santa clara canner
Jelly bean Hybrid
Snow white cherry
Coyote
Silvery fir tree
Bulls heart
Green grape
Principe borguese
Pomodoro pero gigante
Speckled Roman (2 packs)
matt's wild cherry
Brandywine (sudduth)
Kellogs Breakfast
Lumpy red
Eva Purple Ball
Green Zebra
Kosovo
Dr Carolyn Pink
Marglobe
Pink Berkeley Tie Dye
Pineaple
German Red Strawberry
Healthy 70 D

Peppers:

Sheppard
Healthy 70 D
Lipstick
California Wonder
Gypsy Sweet
Sweet apple
Jimmy Nardello
Corno Di Toro
Cubanelle
Jupiter
Pimento
Kurtovska Kapija
Keystonbe Giant
Mardarine 75 D
Giant acconcagua Pepper
Sweet banana Pepper
Orange Bell Pepper
Carmen Pepper
Ampuis
California Wonder
Red marconi

Carmen ~ Are you actually going to grow every single tomato and pepper this year? Wow! That is a very nice assortment.

mobile, AL(Zone 8a)

No, unfortunately I only have space for 8-10 tomato plants and maybe 4 peppers unless I take all my raise beds and decide just to grow tomatoes LOL. I do keep the seeds in the refrigerator and so I am hoping they would last at least 4-5 years in which case I will keep rotating the tomatoes that I have seeds for and peppers, I also get to grow both for 2 seasons so when my summer maters are done then I can plant another different set as my fall maters.

I tried fall tomatoes. Once they started forming, a snow storm in November wiped them all out. Actually these were leftover tomato seedlings I left in the nursery area from when I started them in March. I should have potted them up into larger pots, but did not seem to find the time. Otherwise I might have had something. Maybe I will try them again, as every year is different.

It is snowing now.

mobile, AL(Zone 8a)

Evelyn I almost had the same problem, I grew some cherry and some paste tomatoes, the cherry did pretty good, unfortunately the flavor was too sweet for my liking, the other bigger size ones did not start producing until the really cold weather started, I ended up picking them while green and placing them inside my house, eventually they did turn red and I am still using them in salads. I just ripped my tomato vines off about 2 weeks ago and I am planing to plant onions in this particular bed. I think my problem is I started them outside too late for the fall season, this time I am planing on transplanting them outside around June 15th so they have plenty of time to mature before the frost comes.

Since we had snow last year May 15th, I wonder if I should just put mine out in June? All of my tomatoes came in quite late due to the inclimate weather. However, the cool-season crops did great! I had lettuce until August 15th! All of the cool-season crops did well - carrots, peas, broccoli, potatoes, beets, radishes. I did not grow any onions or garlic. I was supposed to plant my garlic in November, but got hit by the snow before I had time. Ever since, it has been raining or snowing. A few sunny days bit the soil was soaked!

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I only had one plant, Galena's Yellow Cherry, still bearing when it turned cold. I pulled up the whole plant and shook the dirt off the roots. I took it in and hung it upside down in the pantry and the fruit ripened like it was still planted.

mobile, AL(Zone 8a)

Evelyn, yes you guys have had weird weather there, and to think you are in the same planting zone than me. What I have been doing is covering my raise beds with plastic, I form a plastic tunnel and it really seems to work especially when the temps get below 35 degrees. Now tomatoes was the only crop I could not cover since they were just monsters. Maybe this year since you really don't know what the weather holds you could just plant det type maters and cover them up if there is a freeze or snow in the forecast, this way you can cover them up no problem. I have been growing a few determinate tomatoes myself but the only one that has been really good producer and also the flavor is good at least for my liking is Principe Borguese.

Canjuninky, yes I have heard of that method of getting tomatoes ripe as well, one question though do the tomatoes still grow once the plant is pulled out of the soil?

Carmen ~ Thanks! I think that I will try that. During the heat of the summer I put row covers over the lettuce, now in late fall I will cover the tomatoes. This time, hopefully, I will be prepared. It is hard to predict the weather, but if we keep records, it MAY help.

Virginia Beach, VA(Zone 7b)

I had a very bad tomato year. The only one's surviving until frost was Matt's Wild Cherry, and these
were volunteer plants. It self sows very easily. Very good flavor, but very small like a currant type.
I will not plant any seed this year because I know it will come up by itself again.

mobile, AL(Zone 8a)

I can't wait to try the Matt's wild cherry I got some from this trade, I am very excited.

North, TX

Here's my list of seeds:

Tomato~
Abraham Lincoln
Big Zac
Black giant
Black krim
Black prince
Box car willie
Brandywine
Champagne cherry
Cherokee Purple
Costoluto Fiorentino
German Johnson
Haley's purple comet cherry
Husky cherry
Indian stripe
Isis candy
Limbaugh's legacy potato top
Mexico midget
Mortgage lifter
Paul Robeson
Phil's fantastic
Pineapple
San Marzano
Yellow pear

peppers ~
Aji habanero
Black pearl
Cascabell
Cayenne
Hot Nu-Mex Big Jim
Red cherry hot
Spagnolin - I cannot find anything about this one?? All it said on the pack is the name and OP...they look like pepper seeds?
Thai Bird
White habanero

Has anyone heard of Spagnolin pepper? could there be a type-o?

Oh, and also:
Thai eggplant
Soloist Chinese cabbage

Westbrook, CT(Zone 6a)

After picking up a big carton of stopped mail at the post office, I discovered a package from Heather near the bottom with the following seed varieties:

Tomatoes:
"Aunt Ginny's Purple" (every "Aunt" I've tried has been a winner--hope this is too)
"Beefmaster" (hybrid--I'll compare this to Big Beef)
"Big Sungold Select" (I'll have to compare this with the standard variety)
"Green Doctors Frosted" (intriguing name)
"Isis Candy" (I had wanted to try this--thanks!)
"Lincoln Adams" (two presidents are better than one?)
"Jaune Flamme" (another one I never got around to trying-good)
"Mr. Stripey" (haven't tried these for a few years- I remember they look nice)
"Pineapple"
"Red Boar" (a black variety?)
"Super Snow White" (Never tried a white tomato, but now I will)
"Sweet Apple"

Peppers:
"Black Bean?" (ornamental--great, another one to try in the flower bed)
"Healthy" *(sweet)
"Jalepeno" (hot)
"Kalocso" (sweet paprika--Never tried one but will now)
"Paper Lantern" (hot--can't wait to see if it looks like one!)
"Poblano" (mild hot - just the thing for chiles relleno)
"Naga Jolokia" (hot)
"N. Mex. Big Jim" (hot)
"N.Mex.Twilight" (hot)
"Pizza" (mildly hot)
"Pretty in Purple" (hot - maybe I'll try this in an ornamental border)
"Thai Bird" (another one I'll have to look up)
"Sigaretta Dolce" (sweet, I think)

Eggplant:
"Thai" (I was hoping to try this)

Other:
"Purple Calabash" (sounds like a gourd--I'll have to look this one up)

Heather managed to match pretty much all my suggestions--speaks to the diversity of the contributions. Altogether I received 8 more packets than I had sent in. Was this serendipity or did the packets mate in Heather's cigar box? Thanks to all you suppliers.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Hi Don,

So glad your seeds arrived safe and sound. I cannot believe the mail this year. I still have about 20 people that I haven't heard of receiving their seeds. One or two taking a month to deliver is normal with customs, but way too many people experienced big delays this year.

Just wanted to let you know from your pepper list...what's noted as black bean is actually black pearl. I'm sure the handwriting on the packet wasn't as clear as it could be. Purple calabash is a tomato.

Enjoy the seeds this year.....Heather

Madison, WI(Zone 5a)

Now that the holidays are over, and I'm back to a normal schedule, I have time to post my list of tomato and pepper seeds that I received in the swap. Better late than never, right? I just came in from shoveling snow and my fingers are cold and stiff - sorry if there are typos.

Tomatoes
Cherry
Black Cherry
Cluj Yellow Cherry
Galena Yellow Cherry
Jelly Bean Cherry
Yellow Pear

OP
Amish Paste
Aunt Ruby's German Green
Beefsteak
Black Krim
Black Prince
Brandywine
Brandywine (Sudduth's strain)
Calypso
Costoluto Genovese
Druzba
German Johnson
Green Zebra
Golden Jubilee
Stupice
Thessalonika
Tigerella
Puple Cherokee
Wapsipinicon Peach
Zapotec

Hybrid
Big Boy

Peppers
Sweet
Alma Paprika
Big Bertha Bell
California Wonder
Chervena Chuska
Corno Di Toro
Healthy
Jimmy Nakdello
Jupiter
King of the North
Marconi Red
Orange Bell
Quadrato D' Asti Giallo
Small Red Pepper
Sweet Cayenne
Tolles Sweet Italian
Yolo Wonder

Hot
Cayenne
Habanero
Dragon's claw
Rain Forest (not sure if this hot, or just mildly hot. If someone knows about this, let me know.)

Tomatoes and Peppers that I am interested in trading (some are from my own collection)
Cherry
Hawaiian Currant
White Currant

OP
Ananas
Beefsteak
Red Brandywine
Chocolate Stripes
Giant Belgian
Japanese Black Trifel
Moonglow
Purple Russian
Silvery Fir Tree
Wisconsin 55

Hybrid
Better Boy
Grandaddy
Gurney Girl II
Nonna's Prize

Peppers
Sweet
Aruba
Carmen
Sheepnose
Wisconsin Lakes

Hot
Beaver Dam
Fish
Habanero
Poinsettia

This message was edited Jan 7, 2011 3:30 PM

Long Beach, CA

I don't know how she did it, but Heather beat Santa, hands-down, when it came to delivering on wishlist items! I made my wishlist a little long because I thought this might make Heather's job easier because the law of probability would be on her side. Now I feel a bit guilty...Heather's work ethic and level of organization just blew me away. I received practically everything that I wished for!

Thanks again for another outstanding DG swap experience, Heather!!!

Here's my wishlist--I thought some of them were as fanciful as unicorns, but as Heather's package proved, they actually do exist and I can look to growing and tasting them this year. YAY, Heather!
“Banana” Tomatoes
“Currant” Tomatoes
“Dwarf” Tomatoes
"Frilly" or "Ruffled" Tomatoes
“Tumbler” Tomatoes
Andes
Aunt Ruby's German Green
Black from Tula
Black Krim
Black Sea Man
Burning Spear
Jaune Flammee
Julia Child
Kosovo
Oleyar's German
Pink Accordion
Spoon
Sprite
Super Snow White

Here's what Heather sent...every once in a while, I'd take the packets out of the envelop and dream of spring :D
Kron-Prince
Waspicinicon Peach Tomato
Spoon
Ace 55
Ultra-Girl
Sprite
Rutgers VP
Pineapple
White Currant
Prue
Lime Green Salad
Jaune Flamme
Purple Passion
Hamson Dx-52
Sub-Arctic
Aunt Ruby's German Green
Purple Calabash
Red Globe
Jubilee
Whippersnapper
Granny Cantrell's
Marglobe
Black Sea Man
Kosovo
Moneymaker
Mexico Midget
Peruvian Bush Cherry
Yellow Tumbling Tom
Black Krim
Rose
Orange Banana
Super Marmande
Yellow Tumbling Rom
Roman Candle
Sunray
Pike County Kentucky
Tiny Tim
Black from Tula
Brandywine
Super Snow White
San Marzano Redorta
Andes
Betterboy HB
Tommy Toe
Striped Cavern

Long Purple Eggplant

Wishing everyone an awesome 2011!

- Christine.

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

I also had more wishes fulfilled than I thought even existed.

I didn't even realize how much better the "GOT" was than the "WISH" until I looked everything up and took notes.

Heather rules!

Corey

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.