December Weather; HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Since I can't post the link to my photos without making all of my web albums public, I will just post a few pics of Garvan Woodland Gardens here.

We'll start with this one.

Thumbnail by marsue
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

and one of the 'steam engine'

Thumbnail by marsue
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

the swan on the pond

Thumbnail by marsue
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

the giant present

Thumbnail by marsue
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

the 'chapel'

If any of you want to see the rest of my photos (there are more than 100) send me a dmail with your email and I will send you a link privately.

Thumbnail by marsue
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Sure would be prettier with some snow banks. LOL!

It's nice friends from here can get together. Seems DG people have lots of compassion for each other.

Isn't 17º a little cold for down there?
Our high today was a whopping 4º. Still windy from NW. Low tonight predicted to be -18º. That's actual, not wind chill.
Moon is out though.

Everyone, have a great night!
Bernie

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Bitterly cold but the winds have finally died down. Got hit with the snow yesterday but we only got about an inch or so. Temps right now are in the low to mid teens and dropping. Wind chills are around -4.

We had a hockey game last night and I managed to drive in the storm to go to the game. Snow wasn't a big deal but the wind was. But went slow and had no problems. And Missouri Mavericks won 4-1 so it was worth it. lol

Was supposed to volunteer at Powell Gardens tonight for a luminary walk going on this weekend but I cancelled due to the extreme temps. It's probably ten degrees colder there than here at the house due to the wind blowing off the lake.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

This morning here was not bad. 40* but it went down after lunch. Rain started then sleet then snow and the wind picked up bad. Temps dropped and now it is a hard, still cold. No snow right now.

(Zone 7a)

We had 55º and the same is expected tomorrow.

I'm with Bernie. We have so many wonderful people here.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Looks like about 3" of snow.
Traffic cams are showing lane lines on the Hwy so they've been busy.
Very light snow falling and 21° (Wind Chill 13°).
Heading out early so I can get the car scraped off......
Hearing a county snow plow going thru now!

Ric

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

5° with a high of 10°
Sunshine and clouds mixed. Very cold. Wind chills approaching -20°
Winds NW at 10 to 15 mph.

My birdfeeders are full. I don't have enough garbage to go out so the men get a break from me and I feel like baking something.

Marsue, just read the mail :o) I did and they were beautiful! I thought of them later that night too, wishing I could re-create a few of them here. Alas. I've filled the fusebox as it is.

I wouldn't want to make them public either. They have a lot of nerve expecting that.

The bridge was a favorite! They are all so beautiful!

Bernie, that was one cold moon, and stars! We were warmer than expected. I hope, but doubt you are too.

Pepper, I'm glad you got out and had a good time! I wouldn't go either. Surely there are warmer people who could help.

Celia, ditto ditto, WONDERFUL people. Makes me want to step it up! A good thing!

Ric, I never doubt that you will make it to work, but everyone has my sympathy and wishes to stay safe from the other drivers!

Sunfarm, best wishes and prayers for the day! I've been thinking about you and Rann.

Western, WI(Zone 4a)

Billy, don't wish to rain on your weather, but in that last snow storm we recd. 20" of the white stuff.
Made for a lot of work, but excellent moisture for the coming season.
Every one have a blessed Christmas and New Year.

Maxine

Just lurk in the background as we know Bernie and wish to know what his weather is!!

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Hi Maxine, what happened to fall ? We never did get together.

Cold this morning. No wind. Sun coming up.

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

It's now 12* with wind chill 4*...

I gonna to decorated my pine tree today and I will post the pix later on....

Ju won't go outside of colder temperate! Cause she want me go outside no way! lol....

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

We got about 5" of snow overnight but it's dry so it won't pull my fences down. The horses are trying to keep their tails to the wind. Need to get out and throw them some hay. The wind is COLD and my porch is covered with snow.

Sunfarm, thinking of you and praying for you always.

My sister is in Hawaii visiting her son and his family. He is a marine stationed there. She was telling me about the weather and the beautiful plants. Sounds like Heaven on earth.

(Zone 7a)

BP, I have accomplished things I would not have done if it weren't for all the good folks here.

Welcome, Maxine and Cajun!!!

It is 42º with 51º expected for the high.

Ripley, MS

Hello all--Marilyn called today and her computer had decided to conk out again, so she said she will be back when it gets fixed again !
Happy Holidays to all of you
Sandra

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

Very cold!! It is now 12° according to The Weather Channel site. Not a lot of snow, we've been lucky there. Do these squirrels like Pumpkins or what?! See the 3 Gray Squirrels in the photo? They must like the cold! Overnite it was around -3°! I don't know what it was for sure, but thats what they forecasted on the news last nite.
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Thanks, Sandra, for posting that for me. Right after I talked to you, I decided to try the laptop again and wouldn't you know---it started working! Hooray! However, don't hold your breath cause it could get "cranky" again and decide not to work. If I disappear from the thread for a few days, you will all know what has happened.
I'm way behind here but I do want to say "welcome" to our newcomers. It's always nice to have new folks join us! This is a great bunch of people! :o))

It's cold here, but no snow and the wind finally died down. Saturday night and all day yesterday, the wind was brutal. The weather folk said we were having gusts of up to 40 mph but I am sure that is nothing compared to what some of you folks in the frozen north are experiencing. Everyone stay safe and warm!

# Today: A good deal of sunshine. High 37F. Winds NNW at 5 to 10 mph.
# Tonight: Mostly clear. Low around 20F. Winds light and variable.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Maxine, smiling, you can keep that 20''! Well stick around, we love new people and maybe Bernie likes to know your weather :o)

Rusty, Ju will have to go out sometime.... and so will you :o)

Cajun, glad you won't be out mending fences. Hawaii does sound nice!

Celia, me too!

Hi Sandra! Thanks for the info! We love our Mau!

Will, love the pumpkin photo!

I hope we have some newcomers too!

It's nice here, 14* with sun and a little breeze. If I wasn't medicated I'd take a walk.

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

It's so colder today and I couldn't do the decorate my pine tree today maybe tomorrow for good will be around either 38* or 40*...
I hope it...

Now is 27* and wind chill 20*...

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

It got up to freezing today but it dropped far and fast before dark. The wind is like a knife. I had to shovel the long driveway today so we could get the vehicles up the hill and out to the road. We usually leave one at the church but didn't think to last night. I was able to get all the animals fed and cared for but now I am hurting bad.

I know it is a sin and please forgive me, but I am envious of you guys with good weather. I just hate the cold and snow so much.

You'd think those silly squirrels would be curled up in a hollow tree with their noses under their tails. Guess they are either tough or crazy.

This was last week in my front yard. It's much deeper now.

Thumbnail by CajuninKy
Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

Cajun, take extreme care. Can't have you falling down on the ice and breaking something other than ice. I hope things will lighten up for you soon. It seems that is not to be though, doesn't it. I hope your hubby is doing better. It is good news part for his physical problems recently and I pray that things will continue to improve for him. Brrrr. It's cold here in Middle TN too! Cold weather is not my favorite time, believe me. The older I get the more my ice water type blood flows sluggishly and I think I am going to surely freeze to death.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

DH was supposed to have a heart cath done in the morning but had to cancel due to the weather. It wll have to be resheduled.

Elena, I am having to climb that hill in back to get my chicken house again this winter. I had so wanted to get a new pen built down the hill but it didn't happen. I could just cry. But I will do the best I can. That is all any of us can do in this weather.

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

Yes, I remembered that heart cath but figured they would have to cancel it for you. I am a mother hen sitting here worrying about my chick there in KY struggling against nature to take care of everything. You have my prayers, my friend. Just be as careful as humanly possible and remember that without you being able to care for them, all the animals would go needing care. Next spring I think I need to lead a brigade up your way to prepare your animals' better housing so that you won't have to continue taking such chances caring for them.

Love you.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Hopefully next winter I won't have so many animals. I hope to have 1 less goat, a smaller number of chickens and no games chickens and 4 or 5 less horses.

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

Good luck with that. If you can get your hubby to stick by that with you I think you will be far better off. I can't imagine being out in all of the bad weather and circumstances you have to endure just to have animals. It would kill me DEAD in short order. I am just afraid if you keep it up you are going to get hurt eventually. There is a middle aged lady in one of the churches we sometimes visit that lost her husband suddenly. She had to take over the care of all of the horses immediately. About a week into caring for them, she accidentally got hurt in the barn and broke her neck. She was tired and just plain uncoordinated and made a foolish move that cost her dearly. She has been in a neck brace for quite a while now and of course had to hire someone to care for the horses, which she should have done in the first place. I know when a person is tired and not thinking the clearest either, it is easy to get hurt in hurry. You be careful!

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

5° with a high of 18°
A mix of clouds and sun. Cold.
Winds light and variable.

Rusty, it's worth waiting for nicer weather! We put our's up at the end of November and it's so much nicer to work on everything! Especially burnt out bulbs.
Stay warm!!

Cajun, I feel for you with your pains. You have a lot of work! I lurk on the Equine thread, so I'll also add, I'm glad none of your fences went down. Small favors.
I go out and I wonder how the animals can stand the cold. I really try to hold on to liking four seasons, or I would have nothing to look forward to.
Pretty cool front yard!
Prayers for you and your DH.

Hi Elana, sad story about the woman. I hope she'll be ok.

This was yesterday's dinner :o)

Thumbnail by billyporter
Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I do find myself getting very tired at the end of the day. I let it "warm up" a bit and get out early. That way I can have the heavy stuff done before I start to get tired. Sad about the lady. I know what a heavy load she has and it can get overwhelming at times. DH is taking care of the "outside" horses now. That is what I call the ones that are away from the house. We have 3 here. I take care of those, the chickens, the goats and the dogs. Glad the turtles are hibernating. LOL I have my old BC in the house for winter so he is no problem at all. I am toying with the idea of selling my goats and moving my chickens to where the goats are. I can get goats again when I have a better facility. I can buy a bred doe. All I want is the milk, cheese and butter.

What kind of meat is that you have canned there and how did you fix dinner from your jars? I would like to learn how to can.

It snowed a good part of the night. Looks like we have about 8" now.

Well, I have put it off long enough. I had better get after it so I can get it done. You all have a great day and stay warm.

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

Billy, yes she is ok but it took quite a while. She had her cell phone with her and was able to call for help since she was afraid to move anything but her hands. She will probably have quite a case of arthritis because of the break however. Point being, if we aren't accustomed to doing certain jobs, there can be risks that we aren't even aware of. I know when I am teaching someone something that can have risky drawbacks, I always warn them what could happen if such and such happens. Only then do I feel confident to leave them on their own.

Cheryl, I am glad your hubby is able to help you now. That is good. I think your plans for the future sound much better than what you have handicapping you this winter. Winter will be gone before you know it and then you can start to prepare for next winter way ahead of time. Canning is fun. We had a huge garden when our kids were at home and I canned and froze a better portion of what we ate every year. I always loved canning. There is lots of information out there so next year when all the stuff you want to can is available, start to research the situation. The agriculture departments in any state will have leaflets or brochures they will send you (that used to be the case) or you can go online and get pdf files now I would think. I will be glad to share any knowledge I might actually have committed to memory that hasn't gone to the old age "I can't remember" file. LOL

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Well, I did decorate my pine tree few minutes ago, and took pix of this christmas tree outside....

It now 39*....

Thumbnail by JuJu55
(Zone 7a)

Oh! I love it!

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Can't go wrong with blue and silver. Lookin' good!

Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

I'm having a short break , just to say I'm still here, but the kids are all over my laptop, so I can't post everyday. I'm trying to catch up with you .Yesterday we made sausages for Christmas and we tasted them today, they're delicious! I'm cooking a lot, doing LOTS of laundry, babysitting and working everyday, but it's great to have all the kids around.
Nicholas started to eat well with the teaspoon. He especially likes banana and carrots. Here he is when eating apple...can you say he doesn't like it?LOL
Have to go now, take care everyone.

Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti
Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

It's freezing here, had a few flurries today, but no wind.
Me and DD doing sausages.

Thumbnail by adinamiti
Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I know you are enjoying the grandkids. Cute lil guy and I would agree he does not fancy apples. :)

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Quote from CajuninKy :
Can't go wrong with blue and silver. Lookin' good!

It's purple ornaments...(it show like blue!)

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Cold Cold Cold here!
(well and in most of the Midwest)

Lookin' good Rusty!

Adina looks like a good Christmas going over there!

Elena teaching people worst case, don't work tired or bored and stay alert are the only way to teach any job that can have a danger factor.
I was taught to 'hurry slowly'.
Meaning basically to not let anything but safety set your pace.
I still have all my digits!

Spent about 3 hours in 4°F temps unloading a truck.
It came out of Iowa Friday in the rain.
Everything had frozen. Straps, tarps even the wood from the crates to the trailer bed had to be worked loose.
What took us 45 minutes Friday in above freezing temps was a nightmare today.
But we dress warm and took warm up breaks so all in all not too bad.

Going down to 4°F again tonight.
Currently a balmy 18°!

Ric

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Purple huh? That's even better. Change that silver garland for gold and you will have an LSU tree. Geaux Tigers! LOL

Ric, that sounds like a miserable job. Today the laces on my boots froze and I had to work the tines of a fork into the knots to get them untied. That's a first for me.

We are going to have some really bad weather come in tomorrow night. I may be able to get my last 2 horses into a friend's barn tomorrow. That would be a huge blessing. Pray we can get the trailer up the driveway.

Thumbnail by CajuninKy
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Cold and cold!! Highs were in middle 20s, with some sun. Temps to get back down into low teens, possibly single digits. We have freezing drizzle coming in sometime tomorrow morning and roads will be a mess by lunch time.

Not looking forwards to the mess since we have a Ritchie Bros auction tomorrow. Gonna be alot of traffic to deal with.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.