Thought For The Day #10

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Wow, I didn't know that!

PERTH, Australia

LOL

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

That's like when signs say things such as "Slippery When Wet"...like it's some rare and unusual phenomenon.

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Good one Shermie! Where'd you find that sign at?
I got to go out in that stuff! : - (

"If you never lose then you can never appreciate the victories."
~Laura Twitchell~

WIB~
SW

No Central, AZ(Zone 7b)

Christmas is a time when you get homesick - even when you're home. ~Carol Nelson

All those 'Home for Christmas, White Christmas' songs make me tear up...

No Central, AZ(Zone 7b)

Here is another one that was written in regard to 'between Redding and Bakersfied', but I bet SW and Shermie can vouch for it being applicable to our area too:
....the birds have to use potholders to pull the worms out of the ground.
....the trees are whistling for the dogs.
....the best parking place is determined by shade instead of distance.
....hot water comes from both taps. ....you can make sun tea instantly.
....you learn that a seat belt buckle makes a pretty good branding iron.
....the temperature drops below 95 F and you feel a little chilly.
....you discover that in July it only takes two fingers to steer your car.
....you discover that you can get sunburned through your car window.
....you actually burn your hand opening the car door.
....you break into a sweat the instant you step outside at 7:30 A.M.
....your biggest bicycle wreck fear is, "What if I get knocked out and end up lying on the pavement and cook to death"?
....you realize that asphalt has a liquid stage.
....the potatoes cook underground, so all you have to do is pull one out and add butter.
....the cows are giving evaporated milk.
....farmers are feeding their chickens crushed ice to keep them from laying boiled eggs

I am afraid I have to admit taking these from "that other place" where I have found some lost DG friends.

quilty-you are so right. now that it is rainging and cold i almost miss the dirt being so hot you can burn your hands !

(Zone 7a)

I can vouch for a few of those. Shesh!!!

"Let's face it, most of us are scoffers. But moments before zero hour, it did not pay to take chances."
A Christmas Story

(Zone 7a)

THAT was cute!!! Thanks! LOL

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Sorry this is long but for all of you from Santa.

Happy Holidays To My Female Friends

If I were ol' Santa, you know what I'd do
I'd dump silly gifts that are given to you
And deliver some things just inside your front door
Things you have lost, but treasured before.

I'd give you back all your maidenly vigor,
And to go along with it, a neat tiny figure.
Then restore the old color that once graced your hair
Before rinses and bleaches took residence there.

I'd bring back the shape with which you were gifted
So things now suspended need not be uplifted.
I'd draw in your tummy and smooth down your back
Till you'd be a dream in those tight fitting slacks.

I'd remove all your wrinkles and leave only one chin
So you wouldn't spend hours rubbing grease on your skin.
You'd never have flashes or queer dizzy spells,
And you wouldn't hear noises like ringing of bells.

No sore aching feet and no corns on your toes,
No searching for spectacles when they're right on your nose.
Not a shot would you take in your arm, hip or fanny,
From a doctor who thinks you're a nervous old granny.

You'd never have a headache, so no pills would you take.
And no heating pad needed since your muscles won't ache.
Yes, if I were Santa, you'd never look stupid,
You'd be a cute little chick with the romance of a cupid.

I'd give a lift to your heart when those wolves start to whistle,
And the joys of your heart would be light as a thistle.
But alas! I'm not Santa. I'm simply just me,
The matronest of matrons you ever did see.

I wish I could tell you all the symptoms I've got,
But I'm due at my doctor's for an estrogen shot.
Even though we've grown older, this wish is sincere,
Merry Christmas to you and a Happy New Year.

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Thanks Sharon, that was a lovely wish for all of us. Right back at you gf! You've been missed. : - )
Happy Solstice for all of us who celebrate the day.
QG, you missed a couple. I always keep a towel in the car during the summer. I cover the steering wheel with it, when not in use, and the rest of the time I sit on it, because burned thighs hurt (I do wear shorts in the summer!), and I'm not fond of fried fingers, either. LOL!
I know from personal experience that asphalt has a liquid state. All great quotes.

"The power of the human will to cmpete and drive to excel beyond the body's normal capabilities is mst beautifully demonstrated in the arena of sport."
~Aimee Mullins~

Some days I feel like it's a victory just to get out of bed, much less get any thing done, but I always manage to amaze myself by getting it done.

WIB,
SW

Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

Sharon ~ That was a wonderful thought! Yes, we "old chicks" would like to have our young bodies back....if only we had the wisdom to go along with them! I have heard the expression, "Youth is wasted on the young." Still, the poem was beautiful!

Karen ~ I loved that doggie!

I saw this just now, on, what else, a seed site - "You should never feel too old to have fun and be silly!" I would have to agree on that one...well, isn't what we are doing here fun?

evelyn-i so agree having fun and being silly is great.

wasnt there a cartoon strip or sunday comic or something called Laughter-the best medicine. so right.

Hope everyone is surviving this rain !!!!!!!!!!!!

my little dry creek bed is now a 20 foot wide (unk how deep, too scared to check) raging torrent. fortunately nothing is getting damaged.

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

How are all you guys doing? Our back landscape was filling up with water but the city made us put in drains when we built 10 years ago. I guess they knew what they were doing because it drained. More rain in three days than the rest of the year. Be safe and warm. Sharon.

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Good to hear from both of you Shermie, and Sharon. Considering we got a whole year's worth of rain in one week here, we are doing okay. Just some wind damage. Tree limbs down, and of course Christmas tree sells are off due to the rain. We still have the rest of today, which started out sunny but is now gray again, and tomorrow but I don't think we'll sell very many more trees. DH did say most of the pre-cut firs were gone already. Not much of a loss there.
I am still wondering what happened to my wreath, I guess I'll have to drive across the creek to find out. It's kind of scary doing that, but even if I get swept away, I can't go too far. Jeep won't fit into that pipe that goes under the road. LOL!
Beat the crap out of my strawberry bushes/trees. All the fruit is on the ground. So much for the pretty Christmas Berries. : - |
Oh, yeah, I'm supposed to have a thought. Best I can do for now.

"No rain, no rainbows."
~Unknown~

Glad you are okay Sharon, I saw pictures of the flooding in Vegas on the news and hoped you were okay.
WIB,
SW

(Zone 7a)

We have some friends who have homes in Beaver Dam, AZ. One of them is the gentleman and his wife who got us our room when we went to Mesquite,NV earlier this year. One of their neighbors homes is one that went into the water.

If anyone is interested there is someone doing a dahlia/canna/lily co-op on another thread. can dmail you info if you like.

(Zone 7a)

"Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!"
Auntie Mame

this is a great day, sun is shining !
here's a rainbow for all of us digging out of the mud after the rain.

Thumbnail by
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

That is a beaut!

No Central, AZ(Zone 7b)

We are on river bottom here so, generally it drains fast. Horses corral were one big puddle though. They tend to tramp the dirt down lower than grade, so if fills with water. Goats stayed put in their little house most days except for a quick potty, food and water outing. DH let the horses out to have run of the property. UGH, think hungry deer, but heavier. Will take pix of decimated queen palms (their favorite) - mine and neighbor's. Why couldn't they like all the native bushes I cultivate? They apparently loved all the brussels sprouts as even the stalks are gone. They knock over pots, took the deck box off to have the alyssum for breakfast. take plants out of 6" plastic pots. DH woke to me in front of computer, tearfully asking him to PUT THEM BACK. He thinks I am so mean. SW - SOBB! There are so many road apples, it looks that that is what rained on us. What they didn't eat, they almost stepped on most. They, gladly, apparently do NOT like the same plants the rabbits do not like: lantana, rosemary, salvia, cowlis! DH thinks that since there is a chance we might move, I should not only not plant anything more, but stop caring for the plants. AHHHH! My babies! I can move them, right? I will try if we stay in this area.

No Central, AZ(Zone 7b)

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL!!!!!

LYNDA

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

I would have shot him or the horses. Merry Christmas, Sharon.

oh quilty, how awful. Not sure which is worse, the devastation or telling you maybe not to plant anything else. Is there anything i can do to help?

No Central, AZ(Zone 7b)

Thanks Sherm, I'll clean it up, but maybe if we do move somewhere close, I can have an "Very Merry Unplanting" party! At least we have nothing lush here, it is always the battle - two steps forward, one step back.

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

QG,
On the run. You can plant some stuff in containers. A lot of what you have is transplantable.
Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas! A quick recovery, so we can celebrate the new year!
Back with my thought later!
WIB~
SW

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

"To find joy in work is to discover the fountain of youth."
~Pearl S. Buck~

or,

"Any guy who can maintain a positive attitude without much playing time certainly earns my respect."
~Earvin "Magic" Johnson~

WIB!
SW

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

I have been missing in action but I will return. Just got lost but nothing is wrong, just lost. Love you all Sharon.

(Zone 7a)

Don't worry, Sharon. I get lost frequently but I always find my way back to my friends.

"I get by with a little help from my friends."
The Beatles

Thanks, friends!!

Hemet, CA(Zone 9b)

Friends are flowers in the garden of life.
Don't know who said that? These days I'm enjoying the flowers more, planting, and gathering them into lovely bouquets. My life is very fragrant.

Sylvia

No Central, AZ(Zone 7b)

Funny, Sylvia. DH used to refer, in his funny way, to me being 'fragrant' while I was carrying DD. They caught on at the OB's office, but others just starred, clueless.

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Okay, Trivia Question. Who said on a 1960's tv series,
"Jim! My God! I believe I could cure a rainy day!"

My Dad always told me to slow down and stop and smell the roses. I replied, that while I didn't have many flowers (at the time), I did stop and make time to play with the kittens. : - )
At the time, EB#2 was calling us "Kittens R Us". The boys kept dragging in cats and "abandoned" litters of kittens. Thankfully, with the help of a young friend, I was able to get all the cats trapped and spayed or neutered. No more, "Kittens R Us"!
While it's cold out, after the rain yesterday, (48 degrees), it is Blessedly Sunny.
So I'm going to put on my 20 lb. wool coat and mulch while the sun shines.
WIB~
SW

bones on star trek tos (dr. McCoy)

This message was edited Dec 30, 2010 1:30 PM

(Zone 7a)

Yeah! The good Doctor always had a good one.

silly quote of the day:
a boiled egg is hard to beat

haha!

No Central, AZ(Zone 7b)

Big smile :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.