Pampas Grass ?

Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK(Zone 7a)

Do the plumes on Pampas Grass make viable seed? They look like seed, but I don't know.

Thanks!

north coast nsw, Australia

Yes it can produce over a million seeds in its life time and they blow in the wind. Its considered a invasive weed in some warmer areas and banned in other areas. Burning it wont always kill it either and a chemical weed killer has to be used on the grasses roots to get rid of it.

Williamstown, NJ(Zone 6b)

I want to know how do you divide this grass. I tried and I can not get the shovel to cut through it.

That's a good question marie. I'd like to know that too.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

You might try sawing through it.

a pick!

Williamstown, NJ(Zone 6b)

Good answers...lol

Mine are in the ground. Guess I will leave them alone.

Lamar, AR(Zone 7a)

My husband just divided 4 of our six year pampas. He sharpened the shovel and dug in. It was hard work, but necessary. The plant had grown so much, it was hollowed out in the middle. Last year it looked miserable. I hope it bounces back this year.

Tulsa, OK(Zone 7a)

Does anyone have a picture of the seed? I have been given the feather like "seeds" but not sure if that is actually what I should plant or not.

the grass

Thumbnail by breeindy

the seed

Thumbnail by breeindy

closer of the seeds

Thumbnail by breeindy
Tulsa, OK(Zone 7a)

Thanks breeindy. I really hope what I have is seed cause it just looks like fluff to me. I have 3 packets with lots of it that was given to me so I will see.

yes there small seeds and do look like fluff, i think you can take the seed from out of the case before you plant it, see the 2nd pic i posted.

WOW..... those are BEA-u-ti-ful !!!! I would love to have a row of those big ones! I have 2 but they are either dwarf or don't like where they are planted. They only get about 3' tall.

yes there is dwarf pampass grass and its more cold tolerant then the big one.

Tiffin, OH(Zone 6a)

These big grasses are a real challenge to divide. You will know when they need divided when they start to look like a donut-grass around the outside but dead in the middle.
Step #1 Find a couple of strong friends to help you!
2. Take a strong digging fork &/or strong shovel and dig deep all the way around the outside edge of the grass plant.
3.Pry the whole hunk up out of the ground (I have actually broken the handle on a shovel doing this!)
4.Using a sharp bow saw slice the hunk into wedges (like a pizza) -you should get about eight pieces depending on how big the hunk was.
5.Slice off the dead looking part (on the pointy end of the slice)
6.Amend the soil as needed and replant one piece of the rejuvinated plant.
7. Give each of your helpful friends a piece of the grass plant (and a cold beer!)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.