Surviving the Winter

Syracuse, NY

Anyone interested in discussing our seasonal gardening activities as we face another winter? I have started my indoor gardening.

Grayson

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

Hi, Grayson. Not much winter gardening here except in my head. I will be in the basement preparing for my Feb/March seed starting 2011 season.
What are you starting indoors?

Syracuse, NY

Christmas cactus is coming into bloom. I have a couple of cymbidiums, some cane begonias and misc. other houseplants. In January/February I will plant seeds for geranium, violas and pansies. I'm not bothering with impatiens seeds this year. I'll buy some early in the season and make cuttings. I have some white lavender, flowering maple and canna seeds. I haven't decided what new things to try. Perhaps I'll be able to get some interesting seeds in trade. I need to calculate outdoor planting times more carefully this year so I can use my indoor space more efficiently.

The photo is of last year's setup: made from scrap materials and a couple of shop lights. I use regular bulbs (not the expensive gro-lights) and have great success.

Thumbnail by garyon

My house plants are upstairs, I don't think I will do any propagating of them this winter. I need my basement space for seed starting. I had a bad gardening year do to health so I will be starting over again with my geraniums, I usually hang them in the basement over winter and re-pot them in March/ April.
I do start my petunias from seed for my hanging baskets, I like the Avalanche series, just need to decide on the colors. Last year I started them way to early and the year before that not early enough.
I will be cleaning pots and starter packs in the basement, the sink will have hot water hooked up later.

Thumbnail by ladygardener1

I have 3 of these PVC stands, I like them as the basement is damp and wood was not a good choice for me.

Syracuse, NY

Are those vegetable seedlings? Your setup looks great - and much neater than mine. I had trouble over-wintering geraniums using the same technique you (and my grandmother) used. Even in a cool basement they dried out. I have collected seeds from the few that survived and plan to plant those in February.

I am hoping for another day of clear weather in the next week so that I can plant about 100 daffodil bulbs. One thing that helps me through the winter is the anticipation of spring.

That is a mixture, some peppers, and tomatoes, petunias, cosmos. This picture was after I had to pot up in size. I start them out in 6 pack trays.
The geraniums if they are too warm and dry will not survive. Some people will mist them with water, like every week. I have a lovely Ivy leaf one that I have taken cutting of for 3 years. I just brought the pot in for winter and will take cuttings later this winter.
I love daffodils have not planted any new ones in a few years now.

Here is that Ivy Leaf in bloom.

Syracuse, NY

The ivy geranium is really nice. I had a dark purple one this year. You have inspired me to go out and rescue it before it freezes, and try again. The cellar is cool, but dry. I'll try misting them occasionally.
Thanks

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

This year is a little different for me and i have scaled way back on what I bring in. And not having had real frost so long has me totally complacent. Even so, I just cleared off one of my three lighted shelves. The 'seed bug ' will probably bite me come January!
Dark purple ivy geranium sounds very pretty, I don't think I've seen that.

Sally, I get those little bites from the seed bug in Jan. too. LOL

I have received 2 seed catalogs for 2011 so far T & M and Pinetree. Already have drool on the pages.

I would rescue that purple one too, just bring it in and water it occasionly over the winter so it doesn't dry out. It will get leggy but that is where I get my cutting to start at the end of winter. If the mother plant looks bad and doesn't fill in you can just scrap it.

Syracuse, NY

I have never been successful in rooting geranium cuttings - they rot in the water. I've tried using rooting hormone in soil: no luck. What's the secret?

Ditto, my geranium cuttings last spring almost all sat there. The mother plant that I kept over winter, and trimmed, did come out nicely

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Most of my winter gardening right now is trying to keep a ton of house plants happy over winter. I just cleaned them up and organized them for the holidays. I will need to move most of these into more crowded digs to make room for the Christmas Tree. I have approx 50 pots here in the living area. There are a few other plants already in the upstairs room maybe 20 or so.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

My large Bougainvillea is blooming and one of the orchids in getting ready to bloom again.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

If I had a sunny room like that I sure would want to keep a lot of plants!

I have a pretty large Dragon wing begonia (Gita's) I have already potted up two small plants that were small cuttings that I stuck in next to the momma in the spring. Then I took four cuttings today and put them in a pot . Then even though the momma is all mostly cut off, I sort of root pruned it, put it in a smaller pot (2 or 3 gal) and brought it in my cool dim basement. Anybody know if it'll sort of go dormant and be revivable? It has some promising new shoots that are a solid half inch diam. Nothing ventured nothing gained!

Syracuse, NY

It seems likely to me that the begonia will revive. I have an angel-wing that has sent shoots from below ground after being cut back. Last year I did something similar with fuchsias; I pruned them to about three inches, root pruned and repotted them. I watered, and then left them alone in our cool basement. When they re-sprouted I moved them under fluorescent lights. After temperatures warmed in the spring, I moved them outside. They looked great.

It could be angel wing. I don't know the difference...But it seems with that nice mass of 'botany' in the soil it should rebound great.
I might even buy a fuschia knowing I could save it thru winter.
Thanks

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

This is not a recommendation for how to overwinter Dragon wing begonias; it's simply what has worked for me the last seven years with the same plants originally planted three to a hb or 3 gal pot.

Trim back to 12-18 inches (make new plants if more desired)
Make sure leaves/soil is not wet but plants are well hydrated
Place in an unheated enclosed porch( no drafts) that does not freeze or heat up a lot during day . Mine has an east facing picture window so there is light
Arrange pots out of direct sun
Ignor completely until warm enough to feed, water and put back outside in Spring.

Most of mine do not put out new leaves but do continue to bloom in these conditions. If soil becomes 'way too dry' I spritz the surface rather than water them as I don't want them to wake up, just hang on.

My porch is entirely full of other tropicals I overwinter in the same way so the humidity is is not super dry either.. Don't know how much light contributes to my success but my instincts say light is better than dim as mine do not go dormant but the growth is slowed way down Stems will go woody with age and should be removed if dry and hollow, or cut them back in the Spring and they will send out new growth.

I love Dragon Wings but you'd never know it from the lack of care I give them.

Gita, I used to tell HD customers that begonias were happy anywhere as long as they weren't repeatedly stepped on or driven over! Talk about easy care.

This message was edited Nov 27, 2010 11:10 AM

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

LOL Coleup. Well due to my neglect some of my winter gardening today is cleaning out a couple of small pond features. Nothing like leaving it till it is actually snowing to do these tasks. Well just snow flurries. LOL

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Lol Holly! Wet and cold has never been my favorite combo.

Don't you just love the sound of snow flakes on still water.

No flakes here yet

And, I'm brave enough to ask what does an entirely black wooly bear predict? Hopefully I'll adjust better to the cold stuff than the hot stuff this summer as long as I don't have to shovel anouther 70 plus inches!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Well I had a few nice hours outside this afternoon. The ponds are done I did a little cleaning up down by the barn looks a bit better and brought up some wood our pile is just about gone and we will start on coal soon. Filled the bird feeders and took care of our hen Sally. Disconnected a few hoses and laid them out to drain. There is only one thing left to do and that is the really cold thing I have to set my plants down in the bottom of the birdbath pond. I have to reach down just past my elbows to get the crates out of the bottom and put the plants down but I have a good fire going in the woodstove and a nice warm hot tub to crawl into when I'm done. LOL

coleup. thanks for your thoughts on begonias.
I read a couple years ago someone who puts large ferns into dry cleaning type bags, that keeps the fallen leaves gathered and may add a little humidity to the plant.

Thats a good tip about the dry cleaning bags, I wished I would have know sooner as a co-worker asked me about her ferns about 2 months ago. I think she cut them back.

This is what I woke up to this morning.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

That's a lot more than the few flurries I saw yesterday.
Anyone have any hints about overwintering my tropical pond plants? I have some tarro, alocasias, and curly rush. Last year I let my tarro go semi dormant just barely kept it going with a little water now and then.

I tried overwintering some Water Hyacinthia in the basement once, just putting them in a tub of water. Didn't work. Wonder if you set up a light, and water with an aquarium pump to oxygenate the water and keep it moving if that would work.

Edited to add a link. http://www.fishpondinfo.com/plants/overwinter.htm

This message was edited Nov 28, 2010 8:50 AM

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

When I worked for my GUncle we produced over 100k, 2" geranium cuttings each year, a lot of them the Masterpiece series. We used peat cubes and a mixture of Rootone and Benlate (a fungicide) as a rooting dip. The cubes were soaked in warm water till saturated and as soon as they were stuck went on bottom heated benches in a went ventilated greenhouse. Ivy leaf geranium was done basically the same. One critical item about Ivy Gs, they do not like to be watered after they warm up especially when in sun light >75*F good drainage is essential also (we grew ours without saucers till finished).Edema is the result and can ruin the appearance of the plant. Restoring proper watering and drainage can save the plant, but damaged leaves will yellow and drop. The other year I bought a rather expensive Martha Washington to start illegal cuttings for myself and all went well, I became impatient and moved them out to cold soil too soon and lost most of them. LOL
Ric

good inof-- Martha Wash are very pretty, I bought one last year

Syracuse, NY

Thanks, HollyAnnS

I will try bottom heat the next time I try geraniums. I have one Martha Washington with lots of branches.

Today's forcast calls for sunshine and temps in the 40s. I need to get out and do more cleanup before the snow falls.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Welllll.....

I just caught up with this Post....Need to venture "outside the box" (MA Gardening) now and then.....:o)

Holly---I have NEVER grown Bouganvillia--but have seen here some people had great blooming results....
That's all I need! A new plant to drool over....
Your plants indoors seem all to be fairly large. Takes up a lot of room, no?
I have, maybe, 4 large plants--My Angel Wing begonia--My Shiffelera Amate (new this year)--
My forever getting cut back and re-growing Shifflera Arboricola--and, aa newly acquired, large Clivia
I got from a customer at HD. I think he took a fancy to me---we talked a lot--he always wanted a hug....
Remember--I have 12 pots of my own--over wintering in my shop! Will post picture.

Sally--

I think the Begonia (from me) you are referring to must be the Angel Wing one.

AW's have wing-shaped leaves with silver speckles on them. Dragon Wings are all pale green.
Took tip-cuttings from several--and, I think, I will have a good crop this summer...They are all rooted.
I have done the same thing with my AW's. One stem grows too tall--I cut it off and stick it in the
soil right next to the plant i cut it off from. Just, maybe, removing a couple of the bottom leaves.

My big AW always overwinters near a so-so window in my guest bedroom. It grows tall and lanky.
Loses most of the leaves (except the growing tips) and survives in semi-dry conditions (My ignoring it)....
In the Spring--I cut off the tips and root them. Cut out the cane-like stems in the middle and get rid of them--
and allow the Mama plant to re-grow from from the base. Every 2-3 years--I remove Mama from the pot,
sort through the roots, get rid of the old, dried up ones and re-pot the good ones in fresh soil.
BAM! A wonderful, new, BIG plant for the season!

The only thing you lose in this cutting back and regrowing from the base is earlier bloom. That comes from the tips.
Been doing this for over 25 years! Same plant--only propagated from cuttings each Spring.

Judy--
LOL on your advice on begonias at the HD!
Hey! I saw a totally black Wooly Bear caterpillar on my sidewalk a few days ago.
Picked him/her up and tossed it on my flower bed....They are SOOO fluffy! Winter coats?????

OK! We need to be talking here about "Winter gardening".....

I have a small light set-up for seed growing (3' lights and shelf).
As it is NOT in use for seeds--I am using it for growing my Sun Coleus cuttings. SOOO easy!
They are ALL thriving! In another few weeks, I will have to decide if I want to take new cuttings (NO!)
or if I want to just pinch out the growing tips to contain the growth.

Here they are--a few weeks ago! Bigger now!
I have 3 trays-full. NOT all for me--I take care of a few people at my HD with my propagation.....

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Here's another tray.....It is on my bed..hence the rosy background....

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

THEN--I have my 12 pots of now 2 year old Clivias (from a major division 2 years ago).
They have to spend the Winter in my dark, cool basement Shop under just ONE,
4' shop light which I turn on and then off at night. .

They have doubled in size from last year--and three of them actually bloomed this Spring.
My goal is to sell them next year--advertise, or whatever. They can fetch good money.

Here they be!

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

My three Brugmansias also share the cool, dark quarters in the Shop.
I cut them all way back--making sure I stay above the "Y"'s.

Next Spring--I will just put them outside, first in shade, and then a bit more light, and--
POOOOF! They will just turn green and make leaves and march on. Indestructible!

And, YES! My Dr. Seuss one actually set a bloom in these conditions...
Please, excuse the junk everywhere--it IS a basement.....

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Can I show you more????? Hope you don't mind!

Here is all the plants I have to bring in every year. My LR and DR become a "Jungle" of sorts.....
Anywhere there is a smidgen of light--I will have a TV tray with some plants there.

This is my LR window. What has not yet been put there are my 6 pots of X-mas cactus
which are still outside getting their "cold snap".....Then the table on the bottom is truly full.

The lanky HB above are my Red Epis.

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

This is the DR end of my LR. I have given away most of the Spider Plants
you see on those little shelves by the window.

Took them to work---GONE!

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Last one--But this is the most time-consuming one.....

My DR table full, since June, with all my seed stuff. Ones collected--
Ones i already had---All the ones tha need organizing, labeling, portioning
out in small envelopes, etc...etc...etc....

This is driving me crazy!!!! I have, already, sent out so many seeds to people--
as I have about 50 different varieties--99% from my own garden.

SO! I DO "garden" all through the winter...and Spring--and Summer---and fall.

PHEW!!!!! Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Central Pa, United States

Thanks for the invite to join the forum here!
This is really educational.....and I don't feel so bad now...as my sunroom looks a LOT like some others I've seen here! LOL!!!!

This message was edited Dec 1, 2010 6:56 PM

Hi, Hallchinalady. Glad you came to take a look at our group. Just jump right in on any thread. That is the way DG is. And we like seeing pictures. LOL

Gita, Thanks, That would be 'your' Angel wing, and I have my mama one now safe in the basement from this cold.
I put some figurines on Craigslist today. Its very easy to do. Just about as easy as starting a thread here is. I bet you would do well with your Clivias there next spring. Or even sooner!

Welcome Hallchinalady!

Gita, I have 2 of your begonias growing in the living room. 4 Brugmansias in the basement, one is from you. One from a co-op at DG and two I started from seed last spring, if things go good I am thinking this is the year for them to Y and bloom. Right now they are in rest mode.

I did not try to carry over any coleus cutting this fall, just wasn't feeling up to the task. I'll just start new in the spring. I do seeds and also buy a few plants at our local nursery, last year I did not buy any plants so I'll make up for it next spring.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I have a couple of Begonias that came from Gita, too. Her plants really get around. LOL Those Coleus really look good. I debated weather to bring some in or not but decided against it. I can order Coleus plugs in the spring though my HGHA. I do have a lot of big pots most of them are on plant dollies so I can move them around. I'll be putting up the Christmas Tree next week so most of those will be going upstairs into what I call "The Room of Death". Where they will be crowded and neglected you never know which ones will survive after a month up there.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.