Aren't we having a beautiful Autumn so far?

North Fork, CA(Zone 7b)

What a beautiful day! Cool and sunny, fresh air and full of possibilities!

What is everyone doing in the garden?

Thumbnail by suewylan
Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Our "autumn" (term used loosely) is pretty much like summer was: Hot one day, rain the next, then overcast, then hot again, blah blah blah...pretty atypical.
The Liquidambar trees around here aren't putting on much of a color show with their foliage. Some years they're spectacular, this year: not so much.
I've got spring bulbs sprouting already which is extremely unusual.

The tree in your photo is spectacular !

North Fork, CA(Zone 7b)

I used to live in Fullerton, and I know how beautiful it can be there in SoCal, seemed we'd get those crysal clear days when after a rain, you could see the snow covered mountains so clear.
I miss my liquidamber trees. I bet yours are beautiful or about to turn.
Funny, I have sprouting bulbs too. Wonder why they pop up so early sometimes?

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

I had bulbs sprout way too early a few years ago but they did bloom at their normal time. Hopefully they'll do the same this time.

Last year the Liquidambars didn't show much color until around Christmas ! In mid January they were ablaze with all the fall colors, instead of being totally devoid of foliage.

I always marvel at the fact that in January here, it can be crystal clear and sunny and you can stand on the beach and see snow on the mountains just a little over an hours drive away.

The worst thing around here is all the dried palm fronds that litter the streets for days at a time after heavy winds. They're everywhere...tangled up in power lines, on roofs, lodged in other trees, on top of cars, and always in a place where you can't reach them to get rid of them !

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Jasperdale - I was down in Long Beach at the beginning of November - can't believe it was 95 degrees on Nov. 3rd - thought I was in the middle of summer LoL.

My jonquils are already blooming.....but others, like the Tulbaghia fragrans, have barely budded. Odd year indeed.

North Fork, CA(Zone 7b)

I remember those blowing palm fronds! And the crows, the many crows in the Fall. They'd drop these pods that'd go 'Whack' on the street below...probably 30-40 crows walking in the street cawing, flapping and flying around.

Once the Fullerton street crews 'pruned the roots' of these Chinese elms up and down the street, which involved sawing through the roots between the tree and the sidewalk. Rain was predicted a few days later and the wind came up-- nine or ten trees just fell into the street, one only, thank goodness, hitting smack in the middle of a parked van. Looked like a hurricane had blown through.

North Fork, CA(Zone 7b)

5 days later, winter has arrived it seems...who else got snow, huh?

Thumbnail by suewylan
Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

No snow, but we got rain and wind this weekend. Thank goodness for small windows of clear weather - just enough time to get some last minute odds and ends planting done. LOTS of leaves on the ground.

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

Beautiful photo, suewylan! Glad I live in the flat lands though.

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Periods of rain here...and the wind...and those infernal palm fronds.
Ugh.

Mountain View, CA(Zone 9b)

They're forecasting widespread frost tonight, with a low of around 36 degrees F tonight and down to 33F for the next few nights. I have a bunch of Hippeastrums growing in pots outdoors that we moved in close to the house where it will hopefully not be quite as cold for them. I'm thinking my other plants should be all right.
Michelle

Northern California, United States(Zone 9a)

Cold here this AM, my plants will have to do the survival of the fittest in their pots. Beautiful image Sue but I am glad not to be in the snow! Brrrrrr. My daughter wrecked her car last Dec. and that was scary so now she is as chicken as I am being in the snow. This was their front yard this past April when we were visiting (they live near Mt Shasta). They will be moving down with us when we move to Sebastopol, needless to say, she will be relieved not to have to drive in snow again. :-)

This message was edited Nov 24, 2010 1:24 PM

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

It is kinda fun to walk in it, for a while! Grand kids & I.

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

OK, back to your regularly scheduled program, sunshine today, although crisp air temps.

North Fork, CA(Zone 7b)

Wow, lotsa snow! Ours is at the drippy melting stage. Wonder if I can plant those last 50 bulbs, or too late! Maybe if it warms up to 52.

San Francisco Bay Ar, CA(Zone 9b)

Brrrr look at all that snow! I lived in Mt Shasta for several years as a teen, and coming from zone 9b it was quite a shock!

It certainly feels cold here tonight, and I have my some of my more tender plants nestled against the back step.

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

I say we just skip winter all together and go straight into spring.
All those in favor, say "i".

San Francisco Bay Ar, CA(Zone 9b)

i.

a BIG FAT I

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

yeah, Sue ! And hopefully, by spring you'll be in your new house ! (This could be a verrrrrry long winter for you...)

I think much earlier, the title company has opened an escrow account on Monday, should be getting some final word from the sellers bank next week. :-) But who knows, the way things have been going....

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Like JasperDale, I have bulbs sending shoots up out of season. Am way behind on getting my plants mulched for the winter or moved into the gh for whatever slight protection that provides. (It's not heated).
Aye, for skipping winter! : - )
And of course I'm working like a Christmas elf to try to get everything ready for the opening of the Tree Farm tomorrow.
Well it should be cold enough. DH said there was a lot of frost outside when he went for the paper. My outside temp right now is a brisk 34 degrees. Way too cold for me.
I loved that gorgeous tree that you started the thread with. Mine don't really turn pretty reds, just various shades of yellow and brown. : - (
Hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving. : - )
WIB~
SW

No Central, AZ(Zone 7b)

Here is a shot I took at the beginning of the month in Temecula. Seems we have had more fall colors this year. Drove to Vegas for the day this week and there was a huge display of golden trees outside Victorville, along a river in the desert, I believe. Saw that in front of me and the snow on the San Bernardino Mtns behind me. Then, about 60 miles before Vegas, there was snow on the east side side of the road! Last night, this AM, it was 31 on our porch.

Thumbnail by quiltygirl
No Central, AZ(Zone 7b)

I put most of my succulents in this old wagon, thinking when the weather got cold, I could just roll it to the garage for the night. Ha-Ha, it does not work so well with flat tires! The first succulent hurting is usually my Mother to Millions (the large one). Last year it just 'melted' when we had freezing weather. Ended up bringing it and its babies inside this afternoon as it was hit hard last night.

Thumbnail by quiltygirl
Mountain View, CA(Zone 9b)

Ah, good point... I should check my jade plant to see how it's been coming through all this cold!
My Hippeastrums seem to be doing all right up on our deck next to the building. But I guess I'll see in time.
Regarding our voting to skip winter: I vote aye as well except that I must say that I have gained an appreciation for the cold in that it does give some of our bulbs the chill hours they need so we can get those wonderful blooms we all enjoy! But...I do HATE being cold!
Michelle

North Fork, CA(Zone 7b)

Nice Fall color, quiltygirl!

It's bright a shiny today after a 2 inch rain last night, sparkly even. Has anyone ever tried to potty a dog while holding an umbrella over her? "Go potty, Maggie, go potty..."

Thumbnail by suewylan

I did, last night with my two little ones, a Yorkie and a tiny toy poodle. They were not happy.

No Central, AZ(Zone 7b)

I was lucky enough to potty train our first dog before bad weather. Remember taking her out at 3AM, standing there hoping no one would see my lack of nightie saying the same thing. I would always wipe her bottom and feet before bringing her in since she slept with out daughter. Funny story, one day a guy working for us came by the door to ask for a rag, as I started to get one for him, he said "never mind, here's one" (dogs rag). I figured he had some grease to wipe off something.... Well, he then proceeded to wipe the sweat off his face. I had to close the door and run into the bathroom to laugh so hard and go EEWWWW!

North Fork, CA(Zone 7b)

Lack of nightie! LOL! Hope it was the back yard, not the front, and that story is too funny!!!

Speaking of people who ,oopsie, find your dirty secrets, I once hosted a friend for the weekend, and as she was helping me do the dishes, reached over and said, "Oh, this is a pretty container", referring to a granite ware looking lidded can on my counter. She lifted the lid and immediately set it back down, with an odd look on her face! It was my 'needing to be tossed soon' compost bin.

No Central, AZ(Zone 7b)

Thats funny. Nice that you have a particularly attractive kitchen scraps bin. Mine are the big red plastic Folgers cans. As I am lazy, I do not take them out daily, in fact when one is full I put it in the second fridge until I have several to take out and bury in the pile.

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Ya know I kind of envy you all your kitchen scraps. Mine all end up in the chicken or pig pen. That is what the cats and dogs don't eat. Usually they get the meat. I have a three day rule. After 3 days, no one is going to eat it anyway, so it's time to get it out of the fridge! My youngest step-Sister, won't even keep left-overs. I guess because we had to eat too many of 'em when we were young.
It's warming up! Yippee!
I can get some much needed yard work done!
I may have lost some of my tropicals to the frost. One good thing about my yard, is that with all the trees loosing their leaves, and the wind and the rain blasting through, most of the plants were covered with at least one layer of wet leaves, so they didn't get damaged. I love mulch. I did cover, a day late, plants that are frost sensitive. Plan on getting the rest of my mulching in the next couple of weeks.
My poor Brug, is so unhappy, and it was blooming so nicely. I don't know if the large Plumeria is going to die or not, but it was just beginning to bloom and the frost took all of it's leaves. Still green at the top so I'm hopeful. My hibbies were hit hard, but only on one side, now they are in the gh, they'll recover. Surprisingly, or maybe not, the Fuchsia's are rebounding nicely, but need more mulch. LOL!
Just wish I'd had the time and money to buy some new bulbs. Great news though, maybe ChrisW will post photos of his flowers. Last year he said they didn't put on a good show because of the cold. Also, my ES's trees need the cold so they will bear fruit. He and DH would be really happy if they can get cherries from them trees. Me, I'd be thrilled to get pears.
The Azalea's and my Strawberry bush/trees are really happy and this year it looks like I'll have a Christmas show of white flower clusters and red fruit. : - )
The boys and I are thinking of going in together and getting DH a leaf blower for Christmas. : - )
Then he can blow his grass clippings back into his lawn, and since he hates raking leaves, he can blow them into my side of the yard. Where all the mulch is. Tee Hee! : - )
Got to catch a kid!
WIB!
SW

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

That story of the dog rag is hilarious !

One time when we were kids, my mother was having a bunch of the church ladies over for some luncheon or something. We were instructed to make ourselves scarce (as usual) when they arrived.
(This was in the early 60's when everyone was supposed to be very "proper".)

When all the old biddies got there, my mom told me to take my little sister to the park around the corner and stay there for about two hours, so I did.

Since I didn't have a wrist watch, I figured enough time had lapsed and we came home. The old gals were all assembled at the table and one of them said, "Oh Marilynn...these little tuna fish sandwiches are just delightful."

My little sister said, "Oh yes ! The kitty likes 'em too. He ate 6 of them when he was walking across the table before you got here !!!"

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Kids, Ya got to love 'em. ROTFLOL!
WIB~
SW

North Fork, CA(Zone 7b)

Apparently, Erma Bombeck,(remember her?), didn't have a three day rules for her kitchen. Her rule was 'if you find something in the back of the fridge and can still recognize it, put it back in there'.

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Sue,
Do you remember her book, "The Grass Grows Best Over the Septic Tank?", she was wonderfully insightful, and humorous writing about her life. I still remember her with a smile.
Her take on yard sales was hilarious. : - )
JasperDale, you've been missed. Must have been busy, yes?
You know the kitty thing is still funny. : - )
WIB!
SW

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Yes, very busy...and the internet traffic here is as slow as molasses.

Erma Bombeck was absolutely hilarious. I've read all her books and re-read them when I need a good laugh. She couldn't win for losing !

We got to meet her in person at a book signing once, many years ago. The line was out the door and around the block. She was extremely UN-pretentious and never even considered herself to be "funny" but could "relate" to the every day headaches of life we all went through and turned them into humor which is virtually timeless.

North Fork, CA(Zone 7b)

Erma must have been a real down to earth gal. Yes, I read her book!

Hey, since it's still Autumn and nearing Christmas, I'm sharing my Christmas tree. DH moved it inside while I was at the Christmas Home Tour today. hahaha http://wp.me/p10S9N-iC

I'll have to sort my photos taken today and start another post. Lots of neat ideas!

Has everyone caught up on Christmas stuff? I've shopped and now wrapping. DH and I went to a Christmas bazaar and saw bat houses for sale~ I said he could get me one of those for Christmas......he said they're $40, so he'd make me one. He usually gets started with whatever he going to do for Christmas a few days before, like lots of men, so ...wonder if he'll get to it!?

Thumbnail by suewylan
Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Very clever...using your "Yuletide" camellia as a Xmas Tree !

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Gee, I love those ornaments, sue! LOL! Beautiful! : - )
Surely you jest! We are trying to decide if it is worth the energy to drag down the Christmas stuff and decorate. Besides MIL, just informed DH (who didn't consult me), that we're expected for Christmas dinner at 4:00 pm on Christmas, which changes my plans and I have to call 6 people and tell them that we can't get together on Christmas after all. : - (
When you have a Christmas tree farm, you don't have much energy at the end of the day.
Still, I can't imagine a Christmas without a tree, so I'll have to pick one out and decorate it. Maybe, we can have a day after Christmas get together. : - )
I haven't bought any presents yet. The kids and I are definitely getting DH a leaf blower. Don't have a clue what any one else wants. Except chocolate. : - )
WIB~
SW

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.