Let's talk turkey and Christmas treats

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

what a sweet picture!! You both look happy.

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

thank you.

I am baking Black Bean (gluten free ) brownies. Pureed canned beans instead of any flour. I'll let you all know how they turn out. Just doing it because I read it and know that my kids will be curious enough to try them.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Ya, let us know because I try to do gluten free

BLACK BEAN BROWNIES- Essential Best Foods Cookbook, Dana Jacobi
(they are soft and fudgey, very moist)

One can black beans rinsed and drained, or one cup of cooked black beans
1+ 1/2 sticks (3/4 C) unsalted butter
3 ox unsweetened chocolate
3 large eggs room temp
1 C sugar
Pinch of salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
1+1/2 c chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 350 deg. Grease 8 inch square pan, or twelve muffin-tops.

Puree beans in food processor till smooth- Measure out 3/4 cup bean pureee for brownies.

Melt butter and chocolate, set aside to cool to room temp.

Beat eggs on medium with a hand mixer, then add sugar and salt and beat on high for 5 minutes Should be ivory colored and glossy, when beaters are lifted the drips should linger on the surface for a few seconds before disappearing. Then beat in chocolate mixture, bean puree, and vanilla. Add half the walnuts and stir. Pour batter into pan, and sprinkle remaining walnuts on top. Bake 8 by 8 45 to 50 minutes, muffintops 20 minutes. The top should be crusty and crinkly and knife in the center come out clean. Let cool completely before trying to turn out muffin tops.

I did not get my batter quite as thick as this sounded but they did taste very good, moist and fudgy, and not beany. Recipe suggests Whole Foods canned beans cuz they are softer so if you have any clue which bean brand is softer where you shop, get that. But I just used whatever I had, a store brand, and it was fine. The pan is half eaten already

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

sounds good to me! thanks

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Merry Christmas to all. Bob wasn't smiling. Bah Humbug.

Thumbnail by Buttoneer
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Merry Christmas! Bob is too smiling... he's just quieter about it. Sweet photo of both of you!!

I think I've run out of zip for Christmas baking (did some cookies around Thanksgiving), but I'm planning to do a couple quick batches of cocoa crispy treats... easy, and they always disappear! Just follow the regular recipe for rice crispy treats, but add 1/4 cup of unsweetened cocoa. Some people use "cocoa pebbles" instead of rice crispies, but that gets awfully sweet. You could scatter some red and green M&M's on top of the pan... I've seen some peppermint "crunch" topping that I'll bet would be good also.

Yeah, Bob looks pleasant enough! : ^)

Nice idea on krispie treats. Adding krispies to the list. I'm going to finish up some gingersnap dough thats already mixed and chilled, plus a pan of seven layer choelesterol bars, er, Magic cookie bars, the ones with butter, chocolate, sweetend con milk, graham crumbs, nuts, coconut.

Jen, I saw gluten free Betty Crocker cookie mix at the store.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

The gluten free Betty Crocker brownies actaully taste better than the regular ones.

Heh, go figure! We love BC muffin mix (non gluten free)

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

We had our Christmas dinner tonight because we are going over to our daughter's in New Bloomfield, (Perry County) tomorrow. Baked ham, Green Bean Casserole (I like easy stuff) and Pennsylvania Dutch Potato Salad. (SS, we will have turkey tomorrow at daughters house, so we didn't make one) Hope to see some posts tomorrow of Christmas Dinners. (Maybe I will make cookies after Christmas) Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays to everybody.

This message was edited Dec 24, 2010 7:53 PM

Thumbnail by Buttoneer

Yum, We'll be having ham, green beans and mac and cheese

Hillsborough, NC(Zone 7b)

We had huge pan of mussels and shrimp in sort of a wine garlic broth
beef roast in the crockpot with pearl onions
deviled eggs with crab
stuffed manicotti with a fresh tomato sauce
collards'
honey baked ham
mixed green salad with honey roasted peanuts and raisins
cheese cake
choco cake
struffoli
cranberry meatballs.

Sounds pretty mixed up --- several different 'tastes' and no oven.

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Missingrosie, Looks like I'll be going to ur house. (LOL) Do you have any gold-bearing creeks nearby? I can cook you some Pa Dutch type food. Merry Christmas. LOL.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Merry Christmas all! We had a feast at Joshua's. Baked ham, potato salad, steamed shrimp, green bean casserole, baked corn, baked beans, rolls, relish, veggie, and cheese trays, pumpkin and mince pie, and enough cookies and treats for a bake off. I spent a good part of yesterday in my kitchen and Josh spent all morning in his. Nana really appreciates not having to host anymore and is more than happy to let the guys cook. LOL
Oh I forgot the wine! Josh had a crock pot of mulled wine going also. I had JR over to bake with me yesterday, by the time he finished his oatmeal, chopped fig, walnut cookies and his toll house with special dark chocolate, black walnut cookies he was flagging. He never made it to the cookie bars and pies. He was one tired cookie elf. Ric

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Oh Holly, would you believe, I was looking for that green bean casserole recipe I have (everybody was thinking the same as me) and I found my Dad's recipe for homemade Cranberry Wine on a recipe card with his handwriting. He passed away in 1976. Would you believe? My 98-year-old Uncle told me I should frame it. I said, "Frame it? Heck, I'll make it!" ROTF

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.