Mum's the word! Views from Rawlings

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Rawlings Conservatory's annual Chrysanthemum Display started Oct 31st and runs through Nov 21st. Located in Druid Hill Park just off i83. It's a great, little show, and friendly to seniors and disabled. Lots of benches and places to sit and rest a bit. Enjoy. Ric

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Here's one of the standards at the entrance, as the whole conservatory seems to rise from a bed of white mums. Ric

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

From the entrance color greets you. Ric

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

A trio of suns! Ric

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Colors added all over, from the Mediterranean Room. Ric

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Just when you thought the show was Dragon! Ric

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

A Mischief, Mayhem, and Merriment theme. We were enarmored by it all. Ric

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

A few more. Ric

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

and so on.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

This show didn't lay an egg, but the dragon did! Ric

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

This agave was so proud it was raising the roof. LOL Ric

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

They opened the roof about Sept 14th, I think, and are hoping it will bloom before it freezes. Ric

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Another new display was a hanging wall of air plants. Ric

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Not bad for a city park, Huh?
Kudos to Baltimore for an enjoyable day.
Don't forget they request a $5.00 donation/per person, or you may end up like this guy. Hope you enjoyed. Ric

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

the dragon rocks!!!

South Hamilton, MA

The entire display is fantastic, but I did like the dragon. Oldest grandson like dragons (at age 20). I t must be catching.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Great! Thanks for sharing!

Crozet, VA

WOW!!!! How beautiful and what talent and imagination the planners on staff must have. I too liked the dragon but was also highly impressed with the air plants. I have never much liked mums but a few homes on my drive to town have great shows of them this year and I have enjoyed seeing them.

What great way to spend the day. Thanks for sharing and this might be worth a trip for John and myself in the future. Golly Ric, you and Holly don't know the meaning of the term sit and rest, do you? You two are really getting a bang for your buck in your retirement. My hat is off to the both of you.

Please remember that during some of your travels south that our house and depending upon the time of the year, our gardens await a visit from you. Hope to see the two of you before too long. Thank you for sharing these pictures with us....they were very enjoyable and your commentary very interesting as always. hahaha

Ruby

Thomaston, CT

Very creative displays for the mums! Thanks Ric & Holly.

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

Loved the virtual show and enjoyed Ric's humor. I like mums and I am impressed with the large flowering ones although, I don't think they would be practial for the home garden. I have been tempted to buy a few "football" mums from Bluestone and give them a try. Maybe next year.
Thanks for sharing.

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

Oh I forgot to say what a grand building. They sure don't make them like that anymore.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Thanks! Maybe we can drop in there tomorrrow. Its easy from where we live.

NORTH CENTRAL, PA(Zone 5a)

Very nice. Thank you for the show. Glad to hear they are handicap assessable. More and more places are adding the little helps that enable chairs and scooters. Just a place to sit a spell is appreciated by many seniors.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

groaning a bit at the puns, but loved the photos! They sure got a lot of mums worked into and around their regular exhibits. I especially liked the purple mums complementing the silver and white plants in the Mediterranean room!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

As i told Ric--Could we all make a date for the Poinsettia Show which will follow
on the heels of dismantling the Mum Show? Maybe on a Saturday? I work on Sundays...

I can think of NO better way to get in the Holiday mood....maybe--grab a bite to eat afterward????

If we plan ahead--we could all fit it into our plans....

Gita

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Yes Gita, there is a Christmas spirit. Holly and I would be up for it. If we waited till after Thanksgiving maybe we could ride through that neighborhood and lunch somewhere near that place we visited last time. That day was fun except for the weather threat. Ric

Mount Bethel, PA(Zone 6a)

It's great that you take us wherever you go! Sounds like something we would like to join if the group decides to make the trip. Teri

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Quote from critterologist :
I especially liked the purple mums complementing the silver and white plants in the Mediterranean room!

So did I Critter. Holly

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Here is another grouping I really liked.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I'm not usually such a fan of the showy "cheerleader's pompom" mums, but those could make me change my mind! I really love the little purple daisy mums...

Thanks for sharing that shot!

So, are we tentatively talking about the Saturday after Thanksgiving weekend (9 days after Thanksgiving) for going to the Poinsettia show? When do the poinsettias start? I tried to find that date on the Rawlings webpage but didn't see it... need to add it to the Events list!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Here are the dates for the Holiday display: Dec 11th- 2010-January 2, 2011. Wednesday through Sunday. Ric

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Thanks for posting these pics, Ric. Looks wonderful. I loved the dragon and the wall of air plants best. What a great show!

Holly, I love that grouping that you liked. Nice.

Was that you in the gallows? LOL!

Ruby, nice to 'meet' you! I must say that retirement isn't about resting, it's all about having more time to do the things you always wanted to do when you were working (which I'm sure you probably know). I'm just hoping I don't have to wait till I'm 80 to retire and that I have plenty of money to enjoy it.

Karen

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Yes that was Ric in the gallows. LOL
Here is a couple of close ups of the air plants.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

These were in sea shells.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Holly, didn't the HGA group go last year or the year before? I got the most beautiful pencil succulent I ever had. Boought it in their gift shop in the lobby for $ 8.00. Here is a pix of it. Judy

Thumbnail by Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Beautiful with the seashells. I like succulents in mine but the colors of that combination: ooh la la. If you decide to go again sometime, can I go with you? Will help pay for the gas. Judy

Thumbnail by Buttoneer
Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Buttoneer, I love your idea of putting succulents in seashells. I have some very large seashells and s succulent that I've been meaning to repot, and I'm sure I can find one that will be perfect for it. I forget what kind of succulent it is, but it's sort of like aloe and has white rings around it, reminding me of a zebra. I read an article about them here on DG, but for they life of me I just can't remember what they're called.

Holly, I just love those air plants. I have 3, but I need to give them some water soon or they'll perish. Bought them last spring at the Boston Flower Show.

I went and bought 2 new houseplants today. One is a fern that I don't know the variety of, and the other is a pitcher plant to help with getting rid of the fruit flies here and ants in the summer. Hope I can keep them alive.

Karen

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I brought a lot of them home from Fl. when we were down there but never did anything with them. They were for my DIL.
Buttoneer, Not sure if the HGHA went there, Ric and I didn't go with them if they did. It's a nice place and only about an hours drive from here. You might do better going a different way from your house but you would be welcome to come here and go with us, if we go.

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Ok, let me know the next time you go. I gotta go down 83S to get there anyway. Judy

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Karen,

There is cute, little aloe-like succulent that is commonly called "Partridge Breast"...
Is that it?

Tried to look in PF--but none of them was what i am thinking about,,,,,

Gita

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.