(Debra) Garland, TX

We came from here:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1095823/

(Debra) Garland, TX

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse
Midland City, AL

Oh-h-h, I love the hair!

(Debra) Garland, TX

It is really soft, too. The kind I would have done damage for when I was younger. That I TRIED to get with perms and never quite succeeded...ah well...we always want to change what we have, right? LOL

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

You-all would have ADORED my DD#2's hair when she was that age -- it was a mass of honey blond, sunny blond curls. The kind that bounced back when you brushed them, that's what I remember most, you would brush her hair before bed or whenever and they would all spring back to perfect position. Now it's long, rather long in front and in need of a trim in back but then it will be crooked. The whole mess is dirty blond/light brown,except I let her highlight it this summer and it did naturally get a lot blonder this summer and she usually wears it down like Shakira or someone. (I don't know who Shakira is.) Anyway it is long and curly and tri-colored and gorgeous.

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Both my girls had straight brown hair but beautiful hazel eyes. The youngest now has wavy hair. Mine was nondescript brown and brown eyes.Now it's mostly grey and i love it. I do have perms and keep it short but used to wear it long.
Debra, When that baby laughs, the whole world laughs with her. I got a big smile looking at her.

(Debra) Garland, TX

She is a sweetie and very smart, too.

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse
Midland City, AL

I routinely have my hair thinned and straightened. I think I look like Ronald McDonald’s little sister if I don’t. Most of us would love to be as comfortable in our skins as you are in yours, Vickie.

I have a job interview Tuesday for a job at a local country club where my appearance will matter more than it normally would in my line of work. I think I will go in my chef’s uniform shirt, black trousers and sensible shoes for kitchen work. Just scrupulously clean, high quality work clothes. What MK calls my “Emeril Lagasse outfit.” Being raised by a single father, I never became comfortable with dresses, high heels and all the other “girlie” things. I had already become set in my ways when Mama Kay tried to make “a proper young lady” out of me. I’m afraid the mild discomfort I feel dressed in feminine fluff would come across in the interview. A time when I most need to come off as confident and sure of myself. Fingers crossed I’m making the right decision. I’ve never had this much trouble finding work before.

Debra, I just finished reading the first book in the Honor Harrington series. I want one of those six legged, celery eating treecats. Lol.

Vickie, you inspired this drawing many weeks back when you mentioned watching the birds eat pokeberry outside your window. My father told me once that birds get sort of drunk eating pokeberries. I tried to find out in spare moments if that was really true, but no success. I did discovered some interesting facts about poke such as that it is poisonous to cats. My favorite fun info tidbit though had to be that ink made from pokeberries was used to write the Declaration of Independence. I had to laugh at the comment posted on one site. A manifesto written out with ink made from pokeberries on paper made from hemp. It all sound like something a bunch of hippies would do. Lol. ~Nadine~

Photo: The Pokeberry Pub

Thumbnail by Sansai87
Midland City, AL

Well, while I'm thinking of birds, I found this really cute video on the Purina part of yahoo. It's a crow taking a bath. Those are some smart birds.

http://purinaanimalallstars.yahoo.com/?v=8516607&l=100000085

(Debra) Garland, TX

Nadine, if the pokeberries were overripe and starting to ferment, wellllll....

I think the clothing choice is very sensible. I DISTINCTLY remember a interview that was blown all to someplace-really-warm-with-no-ice-water because I was so uncomfortable with my suit I couldn't focus on the interview. Ucky, ucky, ucky. We are really lucky in Texas to have a lower unemployment rate than the rest of the US, but it still ain't no picnic for those looking. I will keep fingers and toes crossed for you!!

Here is a photo of this Fall's Heritage rose for good luck.

Debra

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse
Midland City, AL

Good fragrance, few thorns and heat tolerant! Those may be enough positives to counteract the fact that it is pink. lol. I never paid Austin roses much attention because I thought they were bred especially for cold climates. This will teach me to think! (Jim)

(Debra) Garland, TX

Jim, that is the rose from last year's "Feed me, Seymour" photo. :-) Much tamer and restrained this year. It is a rebloomer, too. I also have a Tamora rose which is thornier than all get out and I wouldn't personally plant it again for that reason, but it does well in the heat and smells wonderful! Austin's U.S. business is based in Tyler, Texas--about 90 miles due east of me--so at least some of their roses are adapted to Southern heat.

This Dahlia is the only one of five planted that survived last Winter's snow. About a 2" bloom. Love that velvety color. Reinforces why I tolerate Texas Summer--so I can have Texas' Fall, Winter, and Spring!!

Debra

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

Nadine, how did it go today?

Debra

Midland City, AL

There were a lot of applicants to be interviewed after me so I didn't get a definite answer yet. I think the interview went well. One of the other applicants was talking about the job she was leaving if she got this job. After the interview at the country club I went and applied for the job she might be vacating. ROFL. Job hunting is getting as bad as apartment hunting in NYC where, I'm told, savvy apartment hunters check out the obituaries for vacant apartments.
Filled out all the paperwork for going back to college. I'm doing that no matter what!
Have you recovered from your last gardening workout? ~Nadine~

Midland City, AL

Op-p-ps! Posted on the wrong thread. Nothing wrong with me....with me....with me....with me.....

This message was edited Nov 10, 2010 4:14 PM

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

What wrong thread? I thought we all simply posted where ever we happened to be. LOL
Loved the pokeberry pub. It had to have a Blue Jay for a bartender. And that crow is going to swoop down and steal all the poke berrys.
I picked the rest of the pears today. The ground was covered with yellow jackets and hornets. They were so involved with the pears on the ground they ignored me and i ignored the pears on the ground.Bought some apples and will put them up tomorrow night. Am moving my big pots up close to the house a few at a time.
Good luck with the job Nadine. Think you did just right in the clothing choice. Am so jealous about your collage classes. Here being over 70. i can go to collage free except for my books. Maybe i'll try it someday. Probably not tho. don't want to know how slow i've become.
When we lived in Overton TX ,we'd take the backroads to Tyler by some of the rosefields.Michaels in Tyler was my favorite store.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I went to New Orleans with DH and without DD#2 and had a lovely time. The thing was, I kept falling asleep! I think a W/C ride over cobblestones at breakneck speed is exhausting! Jeez.... Add more alcohol than I'm accustomed to in a year and you get one very groggy Carrie. Anyway, I'm glad you didn't miss me too too much. Now I have to COMPLETE my article about Enterprise AL and their curious statue, so don't think I'm ignoring you.

Midland City, AL

Carrie, I watch Bourbon Street on LiveCam sometimes just for laughs. If I'd known where you were headed I'd have asked you to give me a wave. lol. Hope you made it to the Garden District awake and somewhat sober.
Gotta watch those Hurricanes. The Big Easy makes theirs with three different types of rum. Wicked stuff!
I stopped by to see the giant rooster on my way to Tuskegee today. Once, when I mentioned my hometown to someone only vaguely familiar with the area. He said,, “I confuse that line of cities along Highway 231. Do you come from the giant pig, the giant cow or the giant rooster place?” I was tempted to claim the chicken, but finally admitted I came from the big pig city . ~Nadine~

Thumbnail by Sansai87
Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

What a gorgeous chicken! I want it in my yard.
LOL Carrie with all that alcohol you don't know if you had a goodtime or not.

Edited to say
I watch that bourbon street cam some too.

This message was edited Nov 13, 2010 2:47 AM

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Found the Pemmican receipe....
1 Buffalo
16 lbs Choke Cherries

Take one buffalo.Skin. Cut the meat in thin strips and sundry on racks. (Takes several days to dry) When meat is dry,pound it into a course meal. Set aside.

Break and boil bones of buffalo. Skim off all fat and extract the marrow from the bones. Render all fat fom buffalo in cauldron (or in hide-lined pit in ground with hot stones.) Pound choke cherrys into course meal. Retain seeds and skins.

When buffalo fat becomes liquified,add meat,fat and cherries. Place mixture into bladder or water-tight skin containers (parfleches) and seal(sew shut)

NOTE: This mixture has been known to last for as long as 80 years.

(Debra) Garland, TX

Ohhhhkay. Think I will stick with Love Truck Stop beef jerky. That is WAY too much work. I am infinitely grateful to be living now and not 100 years back. Antibiotics, digital cameras, the Accessible Gardening thread on the Internet...what would we do without them? LOL

mulege, Mexico

Reminds me of the "elephant stew" joke that started "cut one elephant into bite-sized pieces."

We have neither buffalo nor elephants here just the occasional VW-sized jackrabbit - they are not your fluffy little Easter bunnies.

kb

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

I was introduced to Jackrabbits when we lived in Texas. Also Jackalopes. I beleived in Jackalopes for about an hour.
Don't forget to be grateful for nurserys and flower catalogs. Can you imagine carting bags of fowerbulbs and cuttings and seeds in a covered wagon all the way across the country. Course we would'nt have gas prices jumping up on us when we least expect it.

Midland City, AL

I think one of the shows I watched as a child had an episode about the Jackalope, I'd always thought it was something the writers made up. Guess I was wrong.
Anyway, I've been pretty busy with college paperwork and trying to get caught up on assignments, so I could only do a sketch today. It pretty much describes my state of mind right now though.
~Nadine~

Thumbnail by Sansai87
Midland City, AL

I've seen her with her ears. I haven't witnessed the full transformation with the paws and all.
BTW, I think Jackalopes are suppose to have horns, Sweetie.
I DID get my German chocolate b'day cake. Life is good! One of my SILs shares the same b'day and another SIL has a b'day tomorrow. The three of us will get together at noon tomorrow to celebrate surviving another year and kick off the holiday party season. If I've worked this right, there should be ANOTHER German chocolate cake there. lol. (Jim)

Thumbnail by seacanepain
Midland City, AL

And, HE didn't even come from "the big pig city."
BTW: It's a BABY jackalope. They don't have horns.
I think I'll hold off on the buffalo until Swanson comes out with microwavable, buffalo pot pie or Mikey D's starts doing buffalo burgers. ~n~

Winston Salem, NC(Zone 7a)

Aww come on now is there really an animal called a Jackalope??

Midland City, AL

Nadine swears she has a baby jackalope living under her computer desk. He always puts in an appearance when she has had too little sleep and too much Monster energy drink. She blames Jack for all her computer woes. She acquired her jackalope after seeing them on an episode of "Eerie, Indiana". (Before the jackaope it was Nessie who was responsible for any mischief. I guess Nessie went back to Scotland.)
I think jackalopes were around long before "Eerie, Indiana.". I've always heard a taxidermist in Texas with a bizarre sense of humor "discovered" jackalopes. He attached deer antlers to a large jackrabbit skull in such a convincing way he had people hunting the elusive Texas jackalope for quite a while.
Glad you popped in, Sheri. How have you been lately? (Jim)

I am blessed beyond measure. Have adopted a little Poodle from the local animal shelter. White, male (neutered) 3 years old and 4.6 lbs! I've named him Jazzman P Bosley! He gets called Jazz most of the time, but Bosley seems to get his attention faster. I may decide to use Bosley as his call name once we begin obedience classes.
That will likely not be until Spring though, as I am in a left long leg knee immobilizer due to a torn hamstring.
Just having a blast here in NC ^_^

Sheri

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

No Nadine, There is no Jackalope. But everyone in Texas still talks about them esp to people who have just moved there.LOL
The elusive Faulk Monster is also supposed to navigate along the Sulpher River that runs thru NE Texas to Faulk AR.
Should you ever find yourself in Clarksville Tenn,Don't ever go near the Bell Witch Cave.......Her, I beleive in.
AH!h!h!h! Sheri, A little poodle. I hear they are smart lil boogers.
Is that immobilezed knee from the wreck still? You have really had a time of it.
DD,s BF helped me wash windows today(inside and out) Oh what a difference!!!) After i do a little more cleaning, Up goes the mini Christmas tree and winter village. Have a little venison to cut up.(enough for 2 messes.)
My stove is still not here. Maybe tomorrow.
Vickie

LOL Vickie,
Yes, they are very smart. My little one already knows eactly where both his kennel crate and daytine window seat are.. OH and BTW he also stants up on his hind legsand dances in a circle to beg for yummies!!

I haven't quite figured out his growling at Elvis, yet. Today we went to 2 different pet stores and Jazz met with his tail wagging and friendly as could be a number of other dogs, I think it must be a territorial thing since the entire house smells of proof that Elvis still really is the King. And so perhaps Jazz is just feeling the need to try harder to show his Alpha nature (I do need to remember that he was an intact male for 3 years too).
Jazz is such a little sweetie. Today we went for our 1st vet check with my long time beloved vet, Dr B. He was very impressed at just how sweet Jazz was, cuddling up to him and being very good thru the exam.
I'm pretty hopeful that after a few weeks he will settle in and we can begin obedience classes.

Pictures coming soon, A friend found an old dig cam that she wasn't using anymore and is sending it to me. DG has sure given me a huge family of people that I both love and am loved by choice. I am ever so thankful for Dave's vision for this site and now for Cubits,which may be similar in some whays, but is very different in others.

Hugs and puppy kisses all around,
Sheri Elvis & Jazz...+ Sara, Marley and Dogwood deKatt ^_^

Thumbnail by BirdieBlue
(Debra) Garland, TX

Sheri, my grandmother used to breed miniature Poodles and they are one of the smartest, most loving dogs breeds around. Glad he found you. :-)

Debra

(Debra) Garland, TX

Carrie, a Fall Color Photo for you... :-0

Debra

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

Hi everybody! I want to introduce you to my new little guy. 3 yr old podle boy (all 4lbs) named Jazz. Momz's got me in a Sponge Bob sweater. I really got a buzz job at the groomers cause of some matts in my hair. I shiver really bad without a sweater on.

yer friend ,
Jazz

This message aproved by Sheri

Thumbnail by BirdieBlue
Midland City, AL

Hey, Jazz. COOl threads!

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

She is a sweet baby.
I got my stove today. Not from Lowes but from Atwoods.I went by there and saw and grabbed. Have'nt tried it out yet. Even tho they said it was'nt necessary. I want to lay some tiles or rocks down under it. It is small but what i wanted. Should i move i can take it with me. I still have'nt got my winter village up yet. I do things so slowly.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Hi everybody! I'm just taking a moment out from wrastling with this ARTICLE to say hello. Debra, Gomphrena? I didn't spell it write but we know what we mean. Nadine, do you have any back-up sources for your claim that such-and-such percent of US grown peanuts are grown w/in 50 miles of Enterprise? Love to all, Carrie

(Debra) Garland, TX

Sheri, SpongeBob is da bomb! Because it looks so good on Jazz. :-) He's a sweetie.

Hi, Nadine! How goes the culinary endeavor?

Buenos dias, Kay! When you find a conifer or two you like, would you let me know? They don't really fit well in a NorthCentral Texas landscape, but I'd like to try a small one. I miss them...

Jim, of COURSE there are Jackalopes! Didn't you hear that everything is bigger and wilder in Texas--including how tall the tales are? LOL

Vickie, slow is good. You don't miss anything important you might otherwise if rushing around.

Carrie, yes, it is Strawberry Fields Gomphrena. My favorite. Every year, I order six to 10 plants from Pase Greenhouses (it reseeds itself a bit, too). :-) Last weekend, put a row of five White Swan Echinacea with it. The Iris out of range to the right is yellow. I think the combination of colors and textures will look good. They'll be fun, anyway.

Debra

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse
Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Was just remembering 2nd grade art (for some reason), where people only came in one color (apricot, I think) and grass was all grass green and the sky was all sky blue and the teacher walked up and down the rows collecting the skin colored crayons before she distributed the ruby-red crayons for the mouths of the GIRL figures only. We had to STAY WITHIN THE LINES and God forbid we colored the grass in skin-colored or the boy mouths lemon yellow, which was, of course, reserved for the sun. If the teacher was successful, everyone's picture would look identical. UGH.

I think what made me think of it was the color of that gomphrena. (I still didn't get it right.) It's not strawberry red, well, maybe, but it's so many reds! Real life has such a more interesting palate than crayola or hallmark or any of them. Richer, deeper, more complex. Yummy.

This message was edited Nov 20, 2010 4:57 PM

(Debra) Garland, TX

I know what you mean. I won a third grade coloring contest because I made sure I was ALL in the lines, the girl had blondey-blonde hair, the sky was sky blue, and the grass was grass green. I reallyreally wanted that fried chicken dinner... :-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.