Becky's Garden - Fall 2010

(Becky) in Sebastian, FL(Zone 10a)

We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1118852

Here is another photo of several I. purpurea hige blooms.

Thumbnail by beckygardener

Here are the other climbing roses that I also bought as teeny plants in a Spring co-op earlier this year. These roses have reach the top of the arbor and are climbing across the top. This is a fast growing Chinese rose cultivar called "Climbing Cramoisi Superieur" dating back to 1885. It is a darker color bloom. Almost a reddish pink. I have a clematis growing in each pot with the roses.

This message was edited Oct 30, 2010 11:19 PM

Jacksonville, AR(Zone 7b)

Your higes were beautiful this yr Becky. Hope I can grow just one as lovely next yr.

Love your patio area with the nice white picket fence. The white making a gorgeous backdrop for your vines.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

very nice

Virginia Beach, VA(Zone 7b)

Yes, beautiful hinge blooms. It looks like a tropical flower.

Nassau County, NY(Zone 7a)

Love it Beckie...you have hands of gold!!!

Thanks everyone! I am very much enjoying those higes. I have more different ones growing but they are just starting to bloom. I wonder if I can cross a Black Kniola with a hige to get a dark purple hige? I think that would be neat. I have 2 BK vines growing right now as well. I'll post more photos tonight if I have the chance. I took photos over the weekend, but just haven't had the time to post them. Only Crimson Rambler seems to be producing seeds. I guess the fancier the blooms/vine, the harder it is to get seeds from them.

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

You sure have a beautiful garden and lots of nice plants. I love it. :)

Mesilla Park, NM

Beautiful garden Becky, is it starting to get cooler there? It looks like summer there still, love your higes too. Good shot.

Thanks Debra and Antoinette!

Here is a view taken a few days ago of my daylily garden. In the background you can see my yellow blooming Cassia tree.

This is a better photo of the Cassia tree! Actually there are two trees in there! :-)

Can you believe all these blooms at one time!!! ♥

Gypsy Bride I. purpurea hige from Deb (momcat). Seeds came from last year's seed swap.

This is labeled Ipomoea sepacutiensis. (From Belize.) Don't know if it will have time to bloom or not before we get the colder weather. We are supposed to get down in the high 40's at night this weekend I believe. We had the front moving in today with lots of steady rain and overcast skies.

This looks like Crimson Rambler. It's blooming nicely!

Pink Flaked I. purpurea hige bloom with a nice block of pink displayed.

A lighter color of Purple Flaked I. purpurea.

Remember I had Heavenly Blue and Pearly Gates growing together on one of the cattle panel arbors. Well, Heavenly Blue vines died, but one of the Pearly Gates vines is climbing up into the trees and blooming! Nice surprise!

Ipomoea indica still blooming! :-)

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

Beautiful! Tonight is the beginning of the death of the morning glory vines outside.. 29 degrees.. *sigh*

szarvas, Hungary

Becky a question
This cultivar came from NOID Onalee seed mix?
http://cubits.org/pics/2010-08-29/beckygardener/ebb33b-250.jpg
Which package?
This one?
http://growingguides.com/Products/JMG/JMGGiantBloomMix.JPG

Jacksonville, AR(Zone 7b)

Love all your blooms Becky, the Cassia is one of my favorites.'

A beautiful Gypsy Bride and Pink flaked Hige.

Gautier, MS

Becky, your plants just are awesome. Thank you for sharing your pictures so we can enjoy them with you!!

Mesilla Park, NM

Very nice.. I love the clouds just peeking through there in that photo.

Dany, Onalees mix is one she mixes herself.. I think she put something like 50 seeds in the mixes.. good prices too. Hopefully Becky will confirm this. I've got four or five packs of this one but have not grown any yet.

szarvas, Hungary

Thanks for the answer, now she is selling an other mix seeds :
http://cgi.ebay.com/15-Japanese-Imperial-Morning-Glory-Mix-Ipomoea-Nil-/380233243924?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5887aadd14

There is not really unusual cultivars, a mix for beginners!

Dany - The seed package that I got that vine/bloom from was this one:
http://www.onalee.com/catalog.php/onaleeisrael/dt66287/pd1741814/Japanese_Morning_Glory_Seeds_Shibori_Asagao_Large_Flowered_Mix_Japanese_Morning
It was in the original Tohoku Company seed packet (unopened, of course). It's a mixed seed packet and who knows what you'll get! Right up my alley getting surprises!

Thank you everyone! It got quite cold last night. We had rain for two days with the cold front moving in and much cooler weather now for the next week! NICE!!! I think Fall/Early Winter has arrived!

Roses and weeping Mums! Never a pristine garden scene! lol

Mesilla Park, NM

Dany, did you check her site, the mixes are on her site, they include fujishibori, speckled, etc.. I don't know if they are still available, got them last year or more ago..
could be the mixes changed. I have the package above on Becky's post too, I really need to get off my duff and start to plant some seeds this coming year.

Antionette - You are right. Onalee's lists quite a few Japanese MG seed packets from Tohoku, Takii, Nichinou, Fukukaen, and some of her own packaged seeds, that she offers. She is the only one in the USA that offers Japanese cultivars in the original Japanese seed packets that I know of. Getting my hands on some of those original, unopened japanese seed packets is a treat! :-)

This message was edited Nov 6, 2010 1:37 PM

Mesilla Park, NM

Well, I happen to like that part also, them being unopened brand new packets and the flower photos too. I save all of the empty packs for reference and just because I like them.

Gautier, MS

Ditto to that too Antoinette! I have a nice collection.

szarvas, Hungary

I can buy in Japan all these seed packets ten times cheaper.
I never find the MG production of Yamato Noen company for me they no longer produce Asagao seeds .

http://pics.davesgarden.com/pics/2008/06/05/RON_CONVOLVULACEAE/1c51b6.jpg

Here a beautiful picture coming from Japan.
It looks like the patern of an interspecific hybrid between Nil and Purpurea.But it is pure Nil !

Thumbnail by dany12
Mesilla Park, NM

That is a nice one there.

Dany, do you know if they ship to the U.S.?, and maybe we can do a small co-op if they do. That would be something that I'm sure there would be several here in this forum that we would have no trouble meeting the minimum. I can only imagine the good prices there...

A.

szarvas, Hungary

I think if you ask politely to Jon may be he can be the intermediate or even organize the swap! lol .... My Dear Jon can you ...... etc..... lol
For exemple here are a lot of pages.
http://booth.search.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/strsearch?desc=Seed-001&sb=desc&alocale=0jp&acc=jp&seller=beetle_2002bb

Mesilla Park, NM

I don't know if Jon is as crazy as we are about MGs, it was just a suggestion, maybe if you give us the name of the company that sells the packs and we will contact them (one of the members here I'm sure will volunteer) and we can go from there, you never know, they may want to make larger sales than just to one person.

That link you gave, is that an ebay auction? I think a co-op with a direct store would be better.

A.

Mesilla Park, NM

Oh, Pretty Please Dany.

szarvas, Hungary

The seller on Yahoo Japan buys from big companies the stock of seeds of last year and sells them on Yahoo.jp.
I use an intermediary zho's living in Tokyo, he buy for me but take 20% for him. You can buy 1 or 20, anything is possible.
A person can buy for everyone just to list who want what.You can use Onalee's site as reference.People can pay Jon by Paypal and when everything is paid, Jon sends.
http://shop.engeinavi.com/category/c-37.html?page=9&sort=20a
http://www.engeinavi.jp/cart/goodslist.cgi?in_kate=300&in_start=108&max=
http://www.engeinavi.jp/cart/gsearch.cgi?word=%83A%83T%83K%83I%81E&gclid=CPzTgLXl0JQCFRMJewodmkn2lg
Different places different prices.

Lots of I. purpurea blooms currently. Which I am really enjoying. I still have a lot of blooming plants in my yard suprisingly.

I had to laugh. I've had this lone tomato plant growing for months in one of the five gallon containers. Bugs got the tomatoes, but I keep watering and fertilizing it. Well, I was looking at it today and low and behold, I have about 7-8 small tomatoes growing on it. We've had some pretty cool nights and even days, so I think the bug problem may not be an issue now. I have some Snap Sugar Sprint Pea seeds and I was told that now is the time to grow them. :-) I love fresh snap peas! Yum! So I may be starting some of those as well. Fall is probably the time to grow veggies in Florida because our spring is so short. Fall lasts a lot longer. Sometimes until late January or February, so you know what I will be growing next! LOL!

Dany - I wish we could get our hands on more of the KU seeds. :-)

More I. purpurea vines...

I love the pale purple/lavender color of these blooms. Really soft looking ...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.