TEA ROOM #76

Merino, Australia

Good morning everyone. Got a bit warm walking all the way down to open the Tea Room so here we are, moved again.
Its a bit nippy here this morning but hopefully , another fine day. We are forecast rain on saturday so I am hoping it clears for the show on sunday.
I will be busy sorting out what plants I am taking to sell there so have to get the trailer out and see what fits on.
Not pleasant if it rains as everything is out in the open except the craft sections.
I had better run over and put up the moved sign before anyone gets lost.
Have a great day .
Jean

This message was edited Oct 26, 2010 7:53 AM

This message was edited Oct 26, 2010 7:54 AM

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Merino, Australia

We came from here...http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1134905/
Darn thing wont work today. Anyway you will know where we came from.
Jean

This message was edited Oct 26, 2010 7:57 AM

Christchurch, New Zealand

my white aquilegia has come back absolutely covered in blooms...
I will have to try for some seed & put it in with the blue & purple ones for contrast.

Thumbnail by dalfyre

this is a new colour for my garden, it may have been seed I got at Mum's.
I started with one deep purple plant but it self seeds so generously that I have to be a bit ruthless & pull them out of areas where I don't want them.

Thumbnail by dalfyre
Brisbane, Australia

OH wow! You do have some beautiful flowers in your garden. Do those aquilegia only grow in cooler climates? They are beautiful.

This is one of the areas I need to tackle. This is where the fern is concentrated. There is also that foreign bamboo sprouting in there too. After the bull dozer turned the clay over, the fern grew with a vengeance, and the rains this year helped it get away while I was ill.

Karen

Thumbnail by DawnSong
western sydney nsw, Australia

A very good morning to all its a beautiful day here to day .
I have run out of potting mix and sand so have been attacking some weeds not my Asparagus fern but I keep it contained in one corner - Spider plant - Fish bone fern .
Jean Good luck in the Garden comp. Hope its fine and you have a sell out of your plants
Anna Welcome
A big wave to every one golly I have to start writing notes whate Iam going to say I just go blank .
Have a great day --------elaine.

Thumbnail by sammut

lol - Elaine, ditto with comments, I will think of something only to forget by the time I have read all the posts.
I was for a while addicted enough to write down what my Farmville friends were collecting (given up that idea as I now have more 'friends' than time) but maybe a note book beside the laptop for DG & I can jot down my comments - and to whom they are addressed.
Quite often the routine is: me "that's a lovely pic ..."
ummm - scroll up scroll up, find person's name, scroll down, finish post.

Pic attached of bluebells - I was worried I would miss them but these are still looking great.

This message was edited Oct 26, 2010 6:58 PM

Thumbnail by dalfyre

pic of some of the earthquake damage, we went out to see how the cracks were after the last good aftershock of 4.8 on Sunday...
they are getting a bit bigger but still not bad.

Thumbnail by dalfyre

finally uploaded holiday & garden pix to photobucket.
http://s75.photobucket.com/home/dalfyre/index

Sunshine Coast, Australia

Quote from dalfyre :
finally uploaded holiday & garden pix to photobucket.
http://s75.photobucket.com/home/dalfyre/index

So...you were just down the road and didn't come and have a "cuppa" with me. (naughty girl) *G*

Busy getting ready for Fred's family from Melbourne visit on the weekend.
Garden will have to take second place for a week.

Gosh I could not find the tea shop ...what beautiful pics and plants Teresa.
Awful thing that Earthquake I hope everyone is picking up the pieces over there now.
Hi Elaine ...me too can't keep up with everything these days.
That's ok I have been yacking for years now here at d's g ...sometimes I have to stop and think if I have already said something before. *giggling* ...yes! oops.
Jean and Anthony good luck with your sales comps etc.
Karen heck you weren't kidding re those A.ferns best of luck.
Gosh family coming Marlene Ann? polish that cutlery ...how does Sue put it? oh yes scrub the loo.
She is so funny.
Hi to Loise and Charleen and everyone else ...been a long day here so I am off to watch Packed to the Rafters and put my feet up.
Enjoy the evening.

Barnesville (Charle, GA(Zone 8b)

Got a little Rain which was very welcome. Plants love it, so did I.
Partly cloudy today. Dogs barking, Donkeys and mule have their heads in the haybale.
Love your Succulents Dalfrye, I have a few and love them too. i planted these in wore out solar lights, just the right size, and look as luscious as an icecream sundae.

Thumbnail by ridesredmule
Merino, Australia

Good morning all.
The sun is out after a cold damp day yesterday. This yo-yo weather wears me out. One is forever changing clothes or adding and subtracting jumpers.
After the lovely days last week , I thought I could put the tracky dacks away for awhile and get into summer slacks , but as soon as I did, the cold came back.
Hopefully we will get more sun now. I am looking forward to sunday as I love seeing lots of people come to buy my plants.
Teresa, lovely aquilegias. Everyone had granny bonnets growing when I was young. So dainty. I have a small flowered double burgundy that is nearly out. I must remember to take a pic.
Hello Charleen, cute plant pots. Always a use for everything around the garden.
Glad you found us Chrissy. I have been checking on my brugs and I think some may be waking up and putting up new shoots from the base.
Elaine, your yard is going to be full of lovely broms. So pretty.
Hello to Dianne, Anthony, Sue, Leisa, Colleen and Louise. I am off to a doctors app. this morning . I had better move myself as I need to do a few things here first. Luckily also, our septic problem is solved. Another thing done. Thank goodness.
Have great day all and enjoy the sun if you have it.
Heres something very nice to have with your cuppa. German Chocolate Cake.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Brisbane, Australia

Jean, glad your septic tank problem is solved. Hope all goes well at the doctors. I dread my visits these days. I seem to do better without them.

Hello to everyone. I hope today brings lots of sunshine and warmth and happy garden surprises. My Stern von Erlau is flowering again this morning, the last bloom for the plant this season. Still waiting to see if Letty May is going to flower. The buds are so painfully slow to develop.

Chrissy, no, I wasn't kidding about that pesky fern. Must love it here. Wish my chosen plants would grow like that. I have a couple of plants in there I need to rescue when I can get close enough to them. This is one. Not sure what it is called, but it has been growing there for many, many years. Had near forgotten about it.

Karen

Thumbnail by DawnSong

A very good morning to all the sun is out again made a early start moving things around in the carport this morning still more to do about 2 more hours and it will be finished if no one passes and stops to chat .

A wave to every one as I go back to finish Have a great day -------elaine.

Clifton Springs, Australia

Morning all...Jean that is exactly what it is...YoYo weather....isn't it annoying.
I can understand your frustration waiting on the Brugs....the ones that the weather affected here, are really slow.

Has anyone else been having probs with DG...I couldn't get on at all yesterday afternoon.

Cute planters Charleen......good recycling idea......hope the Longears enjoy their hay.

Lovely pics Teresa...a pity that you couldn't catch up with Marlene.

I have been waiting 12 mnths to see my red peony flower and here it is..

Boreas.....love it.
Dianne.

Thumbnail by Seachanger
Sunshine Coast, Australia

Hello Everyone!

Dianne.....Boreas.....I love it too!

Karen ...did you get much rain last night?
We only got one heavy shower...not much at all. Yet the reports say Sunshine Coast had 45m

Jean...I decided to put some eggs in the Tea Room cupboard for your baking.
My grandson sells me eggs. I pay $2.50 a half dozen.
Elijah explained to me it costs money to feed them grain and then he has to give half to his brother Josiah ...so he has to charge that amount to make anything out of the business. *G*

Well better go and do some baking for the visitors this weekend.

I love this! ...I have white and purple singles so far and thought this was lost but I found it this morning ...beautiful!

Thumbnail by

Lovely blooms everyone ...so diverse!
I must go out this morning
so catch up later.
Jean look I have the first buds on my Coral Iochroma And have planted out some of it's seeds so fingers crossed.

I hope everyone has a lovely morning.

Thumbnail by
Brisbane, Australia

Marlene, got some showers, not a lot, but good for the plants.

Was risking life and limb in my miniature jungle yesterday and found this. I guess the rain is reviving some things long thought dead and gone, but I honestly don't remember this in my garden, ever. Not an Elkhorn, but sort of similar. I love it, whatever it is. Real rainforest stuff. Hope it survives summer. I love these surprises.

Karen

Thumbnail by DawnSong

sitting waiting for my ride ...yes I love surprises too!
Pity most are triffids (hundreds of China Doll seedlings).

Brisbane, Australia

Hope your ride arrives soon. Yes, often get too much of a good thing, hey!

Tuberose bloom.
Just opening up and is so very pretty.
Smells nice too.

Thumbnail by ridesredmule

Hi there Charleen ...Oh the fragrance of Tuberoses ...it gets stronger in the evening like the Angels ...beautiful fragrance!
heavy- seductive-hypnotic!

Sorry everyone I was rushing to beat the storm.
I hope that has fixed the furniture Jean

This message was edited Oct 27, 2010 1:49 PM

Merino, Australia

Hello all, just stopped in fora cuppa before going back out in the SUN again. Yes , sun. Lovely. I hope it hangs around until Sunday for the show.
Chrissy , you moved us instead of the flower thread. I came in and fell over lots of garden pics. I had to get out the map to find the kitchen again
Thanks for the eggs Marlene.
Karen, that looks very nice whatever it is. Maybe some sort of orchid ?
Charleen, I am closely watching a small shoot coming up in my pot of tuberose. I grew it once years ago when I lived in the mountains. It was magnificent. I just hope this one grows.
My garden is a smellarama at the moment with the Jasmine and the Blue Fountain Bush out. Every now and then one catches the scent of the curry plant in the heat.
I put the chooks out with Michael. I hope he watches they dont eat the iris.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Oh Jean so sorry the thunder outside made me rush into one of my nanny moments ...very sorry *blush*

Marleneanne how lovely ...quite a little business your grandson has there.
My father used to pick chokos off the neighbours back fences and then sell them back to them at the front door.
Who can resist right?
I think it's a great idea to learn about business ...I think he may be running at a loss at the moment though. He may have to up the price to 3.00 and a hug.
More rumbling again.
Better go have a look.

The storm has just got to here starting to really comedown now lot of thunder.----------elaine.

Thumbnail by sammut
Brisbane, Australia

Oh I can smell that Tuberose from here. I just love them.

No signs of a storm here but I see a couple of very small cells are making a move out west. Only time will tell if they fizzle out or become something.

Wattle tree outside the window was "trimmed" today. I wanted the tree removed. It is growing sideways and up, has a large, heavy trunk, and has already dropped huge, rotten branches. Add to that, I am highly allergic to the flowers, and it flowers right outside the computer window. Wish the silly little girls in the office would learn the difference between removing a tree, and trimming it. How do some of them even get a job in the first place?

OK. Venting done. Off to make a soothing cup of tea.

Karen

Clifton Springs, Australia

Sounds like that Wattle is well past it's prime, Karen Don't walk under it if it's starting to drop branches..The next thing the whole tree will fall...very dangerous.
Lovely poppy Chrissy...so far I only have singles this year...they are a very beautiful flower for one that is so easy to grow.
No wonder the opium trade is so huge.
Love your Tuberose, Colleen, unfortunately I think that mine have rotted in their pot...though there might be a couple of good ones still in there.
Marlene it doesn't seem that long ago that you were setting the boys up with their chickens. Good on Elijah, his future looks promising...lol
Just looking at a story on goat racing on tv.....the organizers and the parents need jailing.
Hope you have a good meeting Anthony..
Pleasant evening all.
Dianne

Thumbnail by Seachanger

love that aquilegia.
Mum & I went out today, looked at plants, she bought some, I didn't.
I have dibs on seed from an aquilegia I found in her garden, it is a double & she has no idea where it came from.
She also identified a mystery plant she gave me as a tiny cutting a few years ago...
I put it in the garden last spring & was doing ok, came back from my holiday & it tripled in size in 3 weeks!
It is apparently a pink camellia that grows very big - & I will have to shift it as it is in a narrow area by the path.
Not good!
might make a good privacy screen though.
And my paeony buds are now full blown flowers - in two days.
there is something going on in my garden right now.
Wonder if the bulb food I gave the daffs beside it has anything to do with the blooming?
will take another pic tomorrow so you can see how big the blooms are now.

Thumbnail by dalfyre

Karen some wattles have short lives, I think most are very tired after 8 years. Best to remove it. I have had them come down in storms too.

Dianne I love the shaggy poppies ...it came from Jean or Wayne and like the Angels- most babies this year came up single mostly white some purple.
I pull the whites out straight away to try and cut that rate down because I want more of these pretty shaggy ones.
Last time I also had Hot pink and Lilac ...having no experience with them before I saved all the seed heads not realizing they shake the seeds out before they dry. So of course the seed heads were empty.
Well I know where the seeds went ...scattered all through the Angels.
Hopefully I may be lucky and find more shaggy ones coming up in the next little while.
You are braver than me in regard to watching that segment on telly
I can't look at that ...I turned it off because it makes me angry and sick to the tummy.
We need a license to drive ...to marry ...to do almost everything yet the most important thing we do is raise children and any one can do it without restriction. I could say more but we are not allowed to talk about controversial topics.

Teresa when I first moved here I had beautiful cool climate plants ...it was because there was little shelter and this meant the wind factor kept the temps very cold here.
After I built fences and made shelters- the cool climate plants just ebbed away because the mini climate I created between the shelters and the home became much warmer.
Out front the chill temp is still cold enough to grow some fruits that need more chill.
Hope you are ok Elaine ...it was a beauty of a storm ...trashed a few things but no hail here. How about you?

Brisbane, Australia

Turkey tales #354

Part A...I was driving to work early this morning and noticed a turkey..or what could once have been a turkey but was now a pile of black feathers etc in the median strip of the main road. I rarely see turkey roadkill so someone must have been quick. I am certainly not condoning turkey carnage but how do you run over a turkey on the painted island unless you drive there..? Turkeys are so fast so it was an unusual sight.

Part B.....I came home and middle son was leaving for work and mentioned he thought a turkey had been in...the house....I think a tribe of them had a party! There was a big pile of poop right in the middle of the dinner table (gross!) and there were dollops all over the place..but it had run through the dollops and there were flicks of sh@t and poopy footprints over just so much stuff..quilts, blankets, pillows, the fabric couch has a splotch on every seat and cushion..the velvet couch has crap on the back, books are covered, the floors have it trampled and dried..I have spent three hours so far trying to get it off. Sets like crap...there were picture frames knocked over and broken..poop on my new keyboard and my wireless mouse was missing. I found it scattered around the room

By far the most upsetting thing was that they got the recently delivered carton of ginger and heliconia tubers..and the sender was extremely generous as there were enormous tubers with healthy shoots and all carefully wrapped and named.Yup..found them all scattered around the back with the newspaper and box shredded..name tags all over the place and most of the tubers eaten..just stalks! Weep!

So...do turkeys gang together and are they into revenge as, after I had seen the feathered carcass, I rang my husband to rejoice that there was one less turkey in the world? I had no part in the fatality but I sure am mad at this guy...or the army of them that got in.

How did they get in the house Dear? That would be a nightmare for sure.
May have to use Ratwire on your doors to keep them out. They travel in flocks.
It is for their protection if a predator is after them it is better to lose one thn all of them.
This is first year for tuberose, it is very pretty but only have one stem out of all that green to come up.
Peonies are so pretty but their season is so short for such beautiful plants.
have a great day, my friends.

Merino, Australia

Good morning everyone. A fast run through today as we are off to Mt Gambier for the day. Shopping, sightseeing etc. I will , of course be looking for any stray orphans.
Elaine , there is a Bunnings there so I will definitely be looking there.
Kat, sounds like you need steel bars on the windows and steel doors. What a shock and what a mess to have to clean up.
If only they could be convinced that next door is a great place to visit.
Hello to everyone else. I'm off as there are a couple of things to do before we leave.
Have a great day and enjoy any sun you get.
Getting near Christmas so try these MIncemeat Shortbread Bars.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Brisbane, Australia

Kat, you really are having problems with those turkeys. Do they fly? How do they get around, over fences, into houses, etc?

Chrissy, I agree about the wattle. It is time to wage war. I rent, so have to report problem trees but they don't come out and inspect, just give out instructions to sub contractors, who can't do more than they've been told to do.

Hope everyone has a good day lined up. I am going to lunch with my daughter, and looking forward to it. We don't get much time together because of her job.

Karen

Thumbnail by DawnSong

Oh Kat whatever are you going to do?

Did someone leave the door open? do they come down the chimney ?
I thought I had problems with the odd wild cow/bull and once a goat but that sounds like a full on invasion.
I don't know what to say!
Twixt neighbour (are you sure he is not a Turkey whisperer) and those turkeys I think I would want to move.

Charleen those tuberose are funny plants ...they take about 2 years to bloom and will bloom better in full sun.
http://home.howstuffworks.com/tuberose.htm
I am betting all those extra leaves will present you with flowers next season.
Have fun shopping and lunching ladies.
It's cold wet and foggy here so housework for me ...popping back later for a cuppa.
A wave to everyone.

barmera, Australia

Good morning everyone. Another beautiful day here. No wind, rain or otherwise. Have been really busy collecting Brian's cactus. Still have lots to go yet. Haven't forgotten you Chrissy or Kazza. Will get them together for you. Anyone else want anything while I'm packing things? Kat you sure have had some troubles. It must have looked as though a bomb full of sh-----. had hit your place. It's a wonder that they weren't still there watching TV. Chrissy my first fluffy poppy is out now too. I love them. Dianne will save some more seeds for you this year. I never put the seeds in a pot I just scatter them through the garden. Some dont come up but i usually get a good show from the ones that do. Hope everyone has a wonderful day . Karen have a lovely lunch with your daughter. Wiull be back later. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

Morning to all --notice I did not say Good its winter here with a few showers and to top it of the puter is going on and off it does happen in wet weather.

I had no damage from the storm but not happy done a great job cleaning the front this morning its all covered with the gum leaves again would have been nice if it was clear for a couple of days O well by middle Dec. all the old leaves will have fallen on my front-- big tree is next doors most leaves fall on my roof and front. time to smile and remember its really not a big deal .
Kat Feel for you cleaning up after the Turkeys they are smart knowing to clear out before any arrived home. --------elaine.

peony

Thumbnail by dalfyre

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.