Mandevilla or flowering vine that likes patios?

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Are there any Mandevilla or other vines that a. grow on a patio with no direct sun but light (or I could move it to get morning sun), and b. don't get too huge? I have a pot with a trellis about 5' and used to have a candycorn plant before the caterpillars ate it in one day! I thought I read Mandevilla could tolerate some shade. Or is there another flowering vine? The guy at a nursery talked me into buying a Dutchman's Pipe but after I researched it when I got home, it looks like it gets way too big for the area. And I didn't really like it either! Looks more like a "real man's plant".! Thanks for any recommendations.

I've grown a white Mandevilla in a pot for a few years. The pot sits on a shady site but does get bits of direct sun throughout the afternoon. It does have to come indoors before we get our first frost though. I have a metal tripod in the pot for the vine to climb. I'm thinking that if mine got a little more sun/high shade that it would bloom more. It is due for a transplant into a bigger pot so that might help the blooming improve.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Can you grow Clematis in the southern zones?

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Well, I have my first Clematis--C.viticella Polish Spirit, but I was planning to plant it in full sun. Is this a mistake? I read discussions about them and saw pictures and had to try one! Good thing we can't do this when we see cute babies...I decided to plant the Thunbergia battiscombei in my pot with trellis. GOSH, it's growing so fast! About 2 inches a day! It had a great rootball. And I'm going to plant the Dutchman's Vine in full sun and see what happens. Thanks for the suggestions. I still my get my Mandevilla because they're so pretty.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

With clems the rule of thumb is roots in the shade head in the sun, but there are clems that do well in part shade or even full shade.
Here's some listed for part shade
Bees’ Jubilee
Belle of Woking
Arabella
Andromeda
Arctic Queen
Bijou
Bourbon
Debbie Fischer
Duchess of Edinburgh
Etoile Rose
Florida Sieboldii
Fujimusume
Gazelle
Hakuookan
Josephine
Kakio Pink Champagne
Kardynal Wyszynski
Liberation
Miss Bateman
Multi Blue
Nelly Moser
Niobe
Proteus
Rebecca
Rouge Cardinal
Temptation
Royalty
Will Goodwin
Voluceau

Have 'Polish Spirit' in some part shade and it does well. The roots are shaded. It was moved a few years back and likes it's new home better than the old one which was too dry.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Wow, thanks for telling me! I think you saved my Clem's life! I'll have to rethink things. Thanks so much for all the input. I'm learning so much on DG!

There are some Clems developed mainly for growing in pots in small gardens and on balconies - they don't grow quite so tall. Evison in the UK has developed at least 6 cultivars and I know Bluestone Perennials carries a couple of types as well. You might want to check out the internet for more info on these if you want to expand your collection. I am no Clem expert so more research is always warranted. :)

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Cindy is right. Bijou is one of them and now Garden Crossings has their final sale of the season and many clem's are being offered.

pirl - Do you know the name of that series of Clems developed for pot culture? I have the info on my other computer but have DD here from TN in my "office" so can't access that name.

Raymond Evison is the hybridizer. Bijou, Filagree and others are the patio clem's.

Here's a link about his patio clematises:

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.inhomeimprovements.com/images/garden4t.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.inhomeimprovements.com/articles/gardening.php&usg=__ZPrXOFqKhNaS7e9JmmF3l9O1iMI=&h=75&w=100&sz=2&hl=en&start=4&zoom=0&itbs=1&tbnid=cTM59D99KWdf3M:&tbnh=61&tbnw=82&prev=/images%3Fq%3DEVISON%2BPATIO%2BCLEMATIS%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG%26gbv%3D2%26tbs%3Disch:1

It does say "hardy to zone 4" so I hope it works for you.

Here's a link to Brushwood, from whom I've received excellent clematises in the past, and they currently have a sale:

http://www.gardencrossings.com/plantname/Clematis-Bijou

This link should also be informative:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/gardening/article-1049005/Sweet-n-low-The-revolutionary-new-range-clematis-ideal-small-garden-spaces.html

Good luck, Cindy.

Edited for spelling twice!

This message was edited Oct 31, 2010 8:05 AM

This message was edited Oct 31, 2010 8:45 AM

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

There are lots of pretty clems for containers. But if you're looking for the series of clems bred for containers, could it be the Raymond Evison Patio Clematis Collection?

http://www.greenview.com/images/Patio_Clematis.pdf

There is also the Boulevard collection of shorter clems.

This message was edited Oct 30, 2010 7:54 PM

I know Bluestone was carrying 'Crystal Fountain' and 'Arctic Queen' for containers. They are on my "want" list. Now I can't remember the name of the series I was thinking of and can't find a reference I had for them either.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Check here and see if any of these click.

http://www.raymondevisonclematis.com/main/catalogue-home.asp

I was just talking to my wholesaler ordering some of the Evison clematis, Diamantina, Shimmer, and some others that I had not actually seen before, and he told me about the Evison website, and also about some videos on YouTube. Kind of interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFY4yqBJQas

Cindy - do you recall any of the names?

Why does "Tower" keep coming to my mind as the name of the group? Of course, the brain could be short-circuiting. I did see the Evison name when I was searching. My attention span does diminish after looking at the first page of Google responses so thanks for those links!

http://www.inhomeimprovements.com/articles/garden4.php

Check out the fourth paragraph where "Tower" is mentioned.

pirl - Thanks for that link!
All of the potted vines are indoors now for the winter. I hate cutting them back, especially since the Mandevilla is still throwing out a flower or two but there's not enough space inside to let it grow. Just thinking for other vines in pots - I wonder how a blue sky vine would do over winter in TX? I'm not sure exactly how much sun it needs to flower well though. Mine gets only part sun and doesn't start blooming until the second half of the summer when it starts getting hot.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Thanks for the clem onfo everyone.
I just viewed the video and will make a note to transplant "Biju" into either the soil or a ceramic pot, new here this year.
It's very happy in the fiberglass pot for now, but next year might be tough on it.

ge - How did your Clem do this season in a pot? I've never grown one in a pot before (but that could change based on this thread).
pirl - I'm still a little fuzzy on why "tower" came to mind. Can't remember where I read it and can't find any reference note I might have made. Once things settle down here I should be able to think clearly and the reference should just pop out of my brain.
I knew the blue sky vine was happy in far warmer climates like FL and didn't know if it would appreciate some shade down south, especially growing in a pot. You are so good about posting references! I learn something new with each link. Thanks a bunch!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Cindy - This was the first year for Bijou. It bloomed with maybe 2 blossoms and then went on to grow thru the season and is making its way up the trellis.
Other clem in a pot died, most likely because it was planted with Large coleus. Donehues Killien Donehue.
I know some Daves Gardeners are happy with this company but I fornd the plants small ( less expensive I realize) but many didnt make it and one came mislabled, which happens a lot.
I personally would pay more for a larger plant to insure its survival.

Thanks, Cindy. I do try to encourage people to grow plants and not give up on them.

I've bought clematis from so many places and so much depends on how well the soil is amended, depth of planting, frequency of watering, etc. I'd bet the coleus took the water from the clematis, which is why I don't put any plant in front of a clematis to keep the roots of the clematis cool. I'm sure the plant would take the goodies I'm feeding the clematis. A piece of bark does a fine job as long as the slug or earwig bait is applied if that's a problem for anyone growing clematis.

As far as mislabeled plants go, ge, you know I feel the same way you do.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Hi Pirl, you are mostlikely right about no other plantings with clems in pots,and probably anywhere else.
On the otherhand spring might bring me some surprises, always hopeful.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

I like Donahue. They are smaller clems, but so is the price. I only see one feedback for wrongly named ones, so I don't think it's a common occurrence with them.

And yes, I am with you on the wrongly named plants. Japanese irises are my big complaint, when just any old name is stuck on non registered ones, and sold through places like Dutch Gardens. The Dutch trade has become horrendous for mis naming plants and bulbs. Hopefully they won't get into clems.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I have just been on the JoyCreek website.Many Evisons there,all of my last years wishlist.
Since their only neutral comment was for the stiff shipping fees.It looks like a big order will have to make sense.
The only negative was from a Canadien whose shipment sat on a dock too long.
This was little Bijou on June 15th

Thumbnail by ge1836
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Aw, little Bijou.

Zuzu just told me about Joy Creek. I have never ordered from them, but had heard of them. I didn't know they carry as many clems as they do. You might wish to ask her over on that other site how big they are compared to Brushwood, etc.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I finally found the wrongly labled Sieboldi.
It turned out to be Florida Albina Plena. Not bad looking after it bloomed. It was still living in September so thats good.

Thumbnail by ge1836
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I didnt read all of the positive comments but got the impression their plants were decent size and very well packed.
I will ask ZuZu as I have been burnned too many times by just not following up and being thorough

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

I like that one better than the one you ordered! It's lovely. Not that it excuses a mis labeled one, but how nice to get a beautiful one like that, and be able to put a name to it.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Dg'ers ID'd it when I wined.
I found ZUzu on the other site.
Waiting for an answer.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

I think I need that one!

Other than buying local, the only mail order clems I've done is from Forestfarm. With my crummy soil, it's surprising that some have survived as long as they have.
I'm definitely moving the Campanulas I have planted in front of my pathetic 'Jackmanii'. I thought I was doing good by planting something to shade the roots but pirl makes a good point about robbing nutrition and moisture. I'll have to find a decent home for the Campanulas in the spring. I did move my one year old Amsonia away from the 'Jackmanii' a couple of months ago when I edited out some daylilies.
ge - that Clem is gorgeous!

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Heard only good things about Silver Star
http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/c/4995/

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I love how this discussion has evolved into such a great exchange of info on clematis. Now I wish I could plant them all over the backyard! I'll definitely be looking for those "mini-clems" and trying one in a pot. My biggest concern being in Houston is the VERY warm summers here. I'm not sure there is such a thing as keeping the roots cool and the leaves in light... I'll try the Polish Spirit and get another (or two) for a pot and see what happens. Thanks for all the links, buying info and comments.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Well the roots need not so much to be cool as they need to be shaded, so it works when you can plant the clem in the middle of something, (plant or shrub) make sure to mulch well.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Flow a jen is right.Mulch is as good a coolant as anything.That goes for shadeloving hostas that are in mostly sun. Just keep them mulched,they will be OK .

I also had great clems from Brushwoods. I ordered 3 if I remember.
Daniel DeRonda came with a bud which bloomed and it bloomed again later in the season.
The other3 bloomed but in August and I even had a bloom in late October.
#2 White Henrii's and a Multiblue.

I use a few inches of Crushed pine needle mulch for the clematis to keep the roots cool. As ge said, even some hostas can take full sun when they have cool (shaded) & moist roots - the same as clematis want but I wouldn't consider putting a hosta in front of a clematis.

Thumbnail by pirl
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

good point
Morning Pirl.

Morning, Jo Ann.

Look what greeted me this past Tuesday...Clematis Liberation.

Thumbnail by pirl

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.