Mandevilla or flowering vine that likes patios?

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

OMG Beautiful.
I am going thru my garden photos to see where I might fit som clems for rambling.
I am also tantalized by the non vining ones. Many are too tall for me but I have seen some thet reach 4 feet that might work in with the Daylilies on the Woodswalk garden.

There is C. recta 'Purpurea' or florist clematis that's a little more shrub-like with starry white flowers like the sweet autumn clematis but blooms earlier in the season. I found that in part sun, it tended to flop and needed some support but a really nice 4 ft tall filler. Also C. integrifolia which is shorter and more upright but will ramble. I was able to start the latter from seed so it's just the species, not a cultivar. If dead-headed, it will throw flowers all summer.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

This is the only non vining one I have and I love it. But three of them take up an area of about 10 feet square, so be warned.

http://bloomsofbressinghamplants.com/index.php/products/details/45/6/perennials/clematis-alan-bloom.html

I also have a couple I use as a ground cover, and just let ramble around on other plants, and they do very well. Asao is one that rambles nicely, just kind of pops in here and there among the perennials.

bariolio, hope we're not hijacking your thread too badly.

Oh - those are beautiful, polly. I didn't know BOB did Clems.
Yeah, I guess we did take the ball and run with it. Throw a question out to gardeners and we take off. Sorry bariolio.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Hey its still vines.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Run all you want! I'm learning as we go and I love Clems too. But I have to admit, you experts go way over my head when you start that Latin-talk :) So keep sharing those links and your experiences. I hope to share some pictures of my vines, shady garden plants and clem, assuming something survives until Spring! Janet

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Hi Janet! I cant remember the latin for most of the plants in my gardens.
I survive here just fine.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Janet - you're not alone. I just read this post on the cactus forum and my brain fogged:

"They also sent me for free:

1) Echinocactus parryi
2) Astrophytum capricorne
3) Coryphantha ramillosa
4) Turbimcarpus pailanus
5) Coryphantha echinoidea"

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Hi Pirl.
I brought in my Sempervivum because I didnt know if it would survive outside.
Quetion: Can I give it a trim to keep it from getting lankie?
I loved the freight haircut it had when it was new.
Its spending the winter in the shower.

Thumbnail by ge1836
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

I learned the Latin names first. The more you can learn, really, the better. A lot of companies use Latin names. Also, a lot of the common names are really mixed up. For example flag iris refers to different irises in different parts of the country.

Can't wait to see pictures!

ge - I don't know which plant that is so, I'm sorry but I can't help unless you have more of a name for it. I love your bathroom!

Polly is 100% right about the names. It's not easy to switch from common names to Latin names but when you need help with a plant you can't ask your local nursery or the DG family, "What's wrong with my pretty pink flower?" because they won't have any idea which plant you're talking about. Common names are also different in many areas of the country. So you can use the common name for your own reference but keep the Latin names and do try to learn them.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I have hi hopes for Plant ID.
I think someone id'd it in July ut I didnt write down the whole name.

I checked your home page and the threads you started and this seems to be it:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1128953/

Select the name of whichever one came closest and Google it for the culture of the plant. That should give you care instructions.

Good luck.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I had no idea there was a search like that. Thanks
I am going to transplant it this spring and remember to bring inside in the fall.
Trimming is allowed. Vossner has a beautiful example.

Great!

Upper Lake, CA(Zone 9a)

This message was edited Feb 24, 2011 1:59 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.