Critters Big and Small Vol.7

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

We came from here, http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1124599/ You can view wildlife at this link also.

Don't be shy, come share your wildlife pictures, with us.

Time for a fresh start, with a stinky critter. ;)

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Sorry about the quality of the shot, I`m not very good with night shots.
On the same night, 2 of them below my feeder. One was smaller, so might be Mama and jr.

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

An Evening Grosbeak.

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

Why are stinky skunks so darn cute?

From a trip out east, one of those MINI-ME squirrels.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Because they remind us of kitties, Marna. Love your MINI-ME squirrel. Did he show you, how fast he can run?

He did not run, actually. He was very very curious about me. He'd go a few inches on that rock wall and stare, then move on some more. At one point, hopped on a tree and looked at me. Then when on his way

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

He was probably looking for a handout. They are curious little thing, that's for sure. Sometimes he just sit on a low branch or lay there. I talk to it, and he just listen, to this strange humanoid and try to make some sense of what's being said. I can go very close to the feeder, and he won't budge, I have to shake the feeder to make him move.

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

Thanks for the new thread burn.

Skunks are darn cute!

I want to see one of those little squirrels!

I have the window open and I can hear a Hairy Woodpecker just squeaking away....it always makes me smile! :)

I was at DePauw Sunday. Someone had fixed up these rocks with this rubber snake in the middle of one of the trails down by the quarry pond. A little Halloween spirit maybe. :)

Thumbnail by nanny_56
Port Elizabeth, South Africa(Zone 10a)

Great pics everyone, and pretty interesting...I am ashamed to say that I missed this thread, for a few volumes......lots of great pics.

a Skink, I think! LOL

Thumbnail by Little_things

Nyala

One of my better Zebra pics

A Water Leguaan

Scrub hare

South African groundsquirrel

Dolphins playing and hunting in front of the house. I need to get better pics of them, as they go up and down the whole day, sometimes in groups of 50+. Last evening we had 2 whales playing, it mating season, all tails and side jumps...I wish I could have taken pics, poor light and camera shortcomings do not allow for that.

okay, Little Things "wins". I don't think I can post anything more Wildlife-ish than that! LOL.

LOL!!!

Yeah, hard to trump dolphins & whales!!

The Nyala are beautiful!

Thanks for the kind compliments, Mrs Ed, Nanny....I just added a bit of my scene, but from my point of view you guys win. LOL I am just trying to keep my end up! I enjoy your pics everyday.

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Would love to be able to visit your part of the world, and see some of your wildlife first hand. But will gladly enjoy it through your eyes.
Your Skink had a little mishap with one of it's toe. The Nyala is a really nice animal. great zebra shot too.
Nanny did rubber snake give you a scare when you first saw it?

Thumbnail by burn_2007

Here is some more..I have shown some of these before.

Giraffe - I do love them. (why?) Seeing them is great, but see these animals in a gallop is spectacular...it is not comparable.

This critter spun its web right in the footpath, had to crawl underneath.

Giant eagle owl...an absolute fav'. Biggest owl in Africa...amazing make-up. You just feel so special to be able to see this incredible bird.

Vultures, I always try and see if I cannot find them overhead where we go. It is one of those birds I always get a warm feeling when I see them.

Guineafowl running for cover. They are everywhere in SA, wild, but also tame...just last week I was at a nursery, followed by one (a resident) and everytime I stopped, he tried to move me on by jumping up against my back...funny bird.

Finally the cheetah, by far my fav' cat. They are all nice, but we were lucky enough to be close to this one, feeding and then he walked up the road, we followed (in the vehicle) and low and behold he met another one. It was one of those special days!

Nay.....I could tell the snake was rubber right off. But I am sure it fooled some folks at first!

I love the cheetah!

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Those are really nice Little, is the spider poisonous.

That owl is really awesome too!

How about a bee & a moth....

Thumbnail by nanny_56

I do not know burn. If I can find out what it is I can answer better. I will check it out!

Rockport, TX(Zone 9a)

This is the coolest thread ever! The skunks are too cute, and I've tried taking dolphins pics before and it's hard -- I'm impressed Little_things!

When I took this photo, I thought I was taking a close-up of a baby alligator. Imagine my surprise when I got home and saw Mama's big eye right under baby. The sun was still behind a cloud and they were pretty far away, so a bit grainy, but I like it anyway.

Thumbnail by Elphaba
Rockport, TX(Zone 9a)

Here's one when the sun came out, and you can see the end of Mama's snout.

Thumbnail by Elphaba
Rockport, TX(Zone 9a)

Last one. Baby has its eyes closed.

Thumbnail by Elphaba

Oooo, elphaba....do alligators also vigourously protect their young? Nice pics by the way.

Rockport, TX(Zone 9a)

They do! I knew that they protected their nests, but I didn't know until now that they continue to protect and nurture them for months afterward. I also read that mating pairs stay together for years. How amazing is that? They're not so cold blooded after all -- haha!

Oops, I just checked my facts and found out that babies stay with their mothers for two years!

This message was edited Oct 23, 2010 8:47 AM

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Elphaba,that's so neat! Good info.

This message was edited Oct 23, 2010 4:18 PM

Rockport, TX(Zone 9a)

Just realized that there is a bullfrog in the upper left corner of the last two pictures. It's just amazing what you don't see without a photo!

ooooo....those are cool! Yup, you never know what you might have. That is why I don't delete pics off the camera anymore. I wait until I download to the computer!

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Lots of surprises in that one shot. I'm not sure Elphaba, but is that a large type of beetle coming out of the water, not far from Mama eye, in the last crop?

Rockport, TX(Zone 9a)

Maybe. You mean on that stick? That could be a large bug or the shell of a dragonfly nymph. I crazy cropped the eye to see what you meant. Here's the pic.

Thumbnail by Elphaba

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.