ORVG Coffee House #182 Cool October has arrived.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Getting ready to get my leaves blown away by mother nature today, & have my neighbors leaves delivered to my yard courtesy of the same winds, LOL. Glad that I got to see a little fall color on the trip to Hillsboro. We went to an Amish market in between Cynthiana & Rainsboro. JR's was the name. There was also an Amish bakery on the other side of the road. The market was interesting, & I got a bunch a good looking apples. They have a meat cutting machine that works on compressed air, & battery powered LED lights in the bathroom that turn on with motion detectors. The funniest thing I saw was barbecue or firepit lighters for sale. Some were in the shape of golf clubs, & some in the shape of rifles. I thought the rifles were pretty amusing for a peace church store!
Saw lots of buggies & bikes. Also figured out where great-great-great grandfather Irons was born. Now if I could just figure out who his father was...

Batten down the hatches-- the wind is really picking up!
Pat

Macy !!! are you still here ! my Gosh woman i hope you don't fly away with this storm. I m worried about you and anyone else in the path of this storm
Right now its in Greenville
i got kids from school and they are home with me
we got subway sammies and chips
got some water , batteries and an extra flash light
hope the chickens don't fly away LOL
Pat sounds like a great time you had. Hope you don't get wisked away in the storm
WEll everyone BE SAFE PLEASE
CHECK IN SOON. so i don't worry LOL i know i m such a worry wart !

ummmmm ??? so where is the storm ??
we got rain and wind , that is it . Watching the news you would think a typhoon is coming. ! NOT.
we just didn't get hit very hard like they said we would in our area.
One tree did come down in our backyard,
good thing it didn't hit my hosta beds.
that was the fastest storm i have ever seen.
but my plants are happy to get some rain.
i hope the rest of you are safe and sound
bbl

Flemingsburg, KY(Zone 6a)

We are under a tornado watch till 7 tonight whoops just said till 9 tonight
Already had some wind and rain

Pauletta

morehead, KY(Zone 6a)

The storm is here. My gazebo is pretty much destroyed. Wicker furniture all over the yard as well as other pots and things. The winds are so strong it is roaring and it tore the weld seams apart on the gazebo as well as the canopy. I am so depressed about this. my tropical are broken as well as their pots and I can't do anything right now due to rain and stuff flying around. I checked the weather and the worst is getting ready to hit. I better shut down. See ya in Oz!
Geo
Before

Thumbnail by daylilydaddy
morehead, KY(Zone 6a)

Now

Thumbnail by daylilydaddy
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Oh, George! (((((((((((((( )))))))))))))) I just hope it didn't get much worse.
I lost another branch on the white pine, but it didn't hit anything. We had maybe 20-30 minutes of rain. Little wind now, & much cooler. ( 56 F)
Pat

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Yikes George!

We got hit hard at work.
Sideways rain, Ping Pong Ball sized Hail, one of the canopies is ripped, had water coming in under the doors.
Not much here at home. Few minor limbs down and that's about it.

(((GEO)))) i m so sorry to see the damage yoiu got . I know how much you loved that area :(
yikes on the hail Ric !
Pauletta sure hope no tornado's hit your way
be safe out there everyone ! i worry about you all
time for dinner
soup

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

We had an inch of rain...blinding rain! Lots of wind...no damage here..thank goodness. My greenhouse lives!!! But...we had no power from noon until dark tonight. I was bored silly. Do you all know there isn't much you can do without power????? It was almost even too dark to read! But that's what I did most of the day.
They say there were at least 18 light poles down around our area...and a house and barn were flattened or damaged...so we were lucky..once again!
George...sorry about your damage. Hope most of it can be repaired quickly.
That was a nasty line of storms that came through for sure!
I do hate being disconnected from the 'world' though!!! LOL!!

Everything is ok here.
We didn't get it as bad as they thought
We did have some rough wind though
Pauletta

good morning and so glad you all are safe and sound
well i m off to press cide
this should be our last week. With this storm i would imagine all his apples are on the ground and you can't sell or make cider from the fallen apples
shame really . so hope for the best
good day

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

We got an inch of rain as well, and lots of wind, but luckily, most everything had already been put up. Took most of the rest of the leaves off the brugmansias...

Had lunch with Bertie and two other girlfriends...dinner at Mexican with friends (who bought for our anniversary) and now Bertie and I are off to the MVWGS meeting (you know...pond thingy....) ^_^

Busy day....good thing too, cause my mom goes back to the Dr. tomorrow for test results from her colonoscopy on Monday....they took 4 biopsies and found a mass....really scared about what she'll say the biopsies showed......if you're praying people......I could really use some for my mom!

Cookie sending many many prayers for your mom.
well here are some pics of the day with R&R building the GH.
i think Ric saw a butterfly ? !

Thumbnail by

cheap labor

Thumbnail by

R&R are so gracious to let my kids help out on some of the projects. Austin was thrilled to have helped. Once we dragged him outside !!!

Thumbnail by

ok time for Lucy and kids pictures
ha thought you could get away with out them didn't cha ?
after Lucys surgery Austin and her stayed on the couch and watched tv. The next day she was a crazy looney dog once again. LOL
gotta love her. :)

Thumbnail by

since some people got offended i edited my post
nuff said

This message was edited Oct 28, 2010 1:01 PM

This message was edited Oct 28, 2010 1:03 PM

Thumbnail by
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

LOL!
I think Al and I were talking rebar....

The kids make great helpers.
Having the lumber there by the saw saved a lot of time.
I knew they would as they helped w/ the chicken coop and did a fine job.

Joyce I hope everything turns out OK!
Give Mom a HUG for us!

Ric

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

We are home, and since it was dark when we got here, don't know if we had any damage or not. We were in Millersburg, Oh, when the storm hit, and it was fast and furious, but there the rain lingered well into the night. I didn't see any damage as we drove around today.

Had a wonderful time, and bought some Polish pottery as Christmas gifts. So pretty. Don't have pictures downloaded yet.

George so sorry to hear and see the damage at your place. I know most will look better in the light of day, and some plants will straighten on their own. However the gazebo will not mend itself. Maybe there is something the manufacturer will do about the seams coming apart. Hope so.

Marcy, guess we need to get us some kerosene lamps and lanterns and live like the Amish, then we wouldn't be so dependent on the electricity.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Oh, Bonnie, you were up near where I went to college-- uh, first time at least. I went to Kenyon, in Gambier, and when we got tired of cafeteria food, we used to go to a great Mennonite restaurant in a nearby town. It was housed in a former gas station and it was SOOOOO GOOOOD!
That Polish stoneware is gorgeous stuff. I saw some at Jungle Jim's, but it was pretty pricey there.
Went to the dentist today, & ended up with tons of toothpaste & dry-mouth mouthwash to send in my packages for Books for Soldiers. My mouth gets dry in Ohio, I have no idea how they stand it in Afghanistan.

Sue, it's hard to decide who's cuter in that picture, Austin or Lucy!

Met a couple at the Green Township Library today so they could take a look at a document that I have. We found it in the attic of my mom's house in Middletown when we were cleaning it out to be sold. It was all about a property in Hamilton county called Guard's Island. I thought it was called that because it had a Guard House in the early Ohio days. Nope, a dude named Guard bought it from someone who got the original grant from President James Madison. This is their family line, & they'd never seen most of the papers, and none of us can figure out how it got into the attic of a ranch house in Middletown! Life can be interesting some days.

Take care,
Pat

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Thanks for the prayers and thoughts, Ric and Sue....I'm a nervous wreck.

(Di) Seven Mile, OH(Zone 6b)

Sue, keep the pics coming of the progress - I love 'watching' things come together. I love the smile on your little guy's face sitting with Lucy - too cute!

Joyce, will keep your mom and your family in my thoughts and prayers.

Bonnie, DH and I go up to Amishtown as we call it, quite often and love that area - very soothing for the soul, isn't it? Just can't beat the shopping up there if you ask me.

Pat, my son talked about the heat and sand over there and how his mouth was always dry as well, but he and his buddies always wanted chapstick for their lips more than anything. Of course, he was on the ship most of the time and not on land usually.

Have a good day, everyone.

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Thanks, Di...

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Good morning everyone!
Joyce, my prayers are with you and your mother. Praying that everything will work out just fine.
Bonnie, a kerosene lantern wouldn't have done me much good, since it was daytime. Guess my house just doesn't have enough windows...only 18! I told Dave, I wouldn't have made a very good pioneer! Just think...with no electricity...no running water...no lights...no stove...no tv...no computer...I couldn't sew..so only reading a book got me by..but that was hard on my eyes! I am thankful that we didn't have any damage though. And my greenhouse is still standing!! We got it anchored just in time..the day before!!!
Glad you had a good time in Amishville, Bonnie. I want to go there sometime!
Great pics Sue!
Pat....isn't it fun to find old things like that???? We have a document box full of papers like that. Old land grants in England, etc....and we know nothing about them! Came from Dave's family.
Ok...Dave has to work today..so I am off to get lunch things ready!

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Thank you, Marcy...so glad to have you prayer warriors!

Joyce, add my thoughts and prayers for your mom also. Sometimes we fear the worst, when what we need to be concerned about is our fear!! Not a joke, but we can make things seem so much worse, until the final word is said by the Dr.

Doing the laundry that we had on our trip, and other than that, is quiet, and not a lot going on.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Jana, thanks, I always send chapstick with the highest spf I can find. They also advise us to send non-scented products if at all possible, since apparently a lot of bugs over there are attracted to the scent!
Ooh, Marcy, have fun with those papers! I wish I had something like that for my family. I did get some DAR papers & a couple of marriage certificates, but mostly I got stuff from the courthouses, etc. I did find an old notebook from a wedding shower for my mom, with a list of who gave what so she could write her thank you notes. I'm still using some of the kitchen stuff!
The city is doing some sort of work involving huge trucks, open manhole covers, and growling motors-- as if they were drilling to China from Westwood.
The no parking signs are for the whole week, but I'm hoping they'll be done sooner. The constant grinding is getting on my nerves!
Joyce, let us know when you hear something. Even if it's what you fear, it's not without remedy!
Pat

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

The National Weather Service has confirmed an EF1
Tornado in Darke County which resulted in the damages in the area of
State Routes 726, 722, Preble County Butler Twp Rd, Emerick Rd and
Otterbein Ithaca Rd. Maximum wind speeds recorded were 90 mph with
leaving damage in a 5 miles path.

These roads named above are about 2 miles east of us!!! That tornado most likely went right over the top of us!! No wonder we couldn't see out the windows!!! State Route 726 comes right into New Madison. Now on the news they never said a word about New Madison, but said it was the next town over, Eldorado. Not quite!!!

holy cow Marcy so glad your all right . i heard about the tornado .
well we are back from Tricks or treats and boy let me tell you it was cooooooooollllllld. i had on three layers !
saturday night we will hit clark county they do theres on saturday :) LOL
so kids had fun. NExt year i m wearing a bear costume !
welp time for a beer and then bed.
good night

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Picked up our new (to us) Pickup Truck tonight at my Sis and BIL's.
We stopped by Cookies and gave her HUGS!
Talked a lot about her Mom.
She's a feisty lady and has a GREAT attitude.
That counts for a LOT!

Ric

Joyce, please come tell us what your mom found out today. I know that even if the news was not something that you wanted to hear, there is always a treatment available.

goshsmom, do you participate in an organization that regularly sends supplies to our troops? Seems like at first everybody was on board sending things, and then as the war has gone on so long, people fell by the wayside, and it is hard here to find somebody that is still sending on a regular basis.

Ric, new to you vehicles are as good as new sometimes. We have had several of them, and as long as they are in good shape, it is great having them.

I have taken all of my pots and plants into the garden shed for the winter, and tucked them in. I have brought in all that I will be keeping inside, but have taken some starts from different things so that I will have them for spring. Have covered up some tomatoes that are still on the vine, ripening, and DH covered his squash plant in the garden. We had fresh yellow squash for supper tonight.

Have some errands to run tomorrow, and then we are taking our a friend and his wife for a birthday supper tomorrow night.

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Sorry I didn't get back to you yesterday, but I just wasn't up to posting. The biopsy confirmed it is cancer. We won't know much until the catscan is done. Bethesda Medical called her day before yesterday to tell Mom about her appt. She freaked...she's never been to Bethesda and doesn't want to start going there NOW! So she told them that...they said you have been here, but she HASN'T! So while at the Dr.s ofc., she told the Dr. she wanted to go to Kettering or Sycamore and that is where they will set it up now. So just have to wait for their scheduling person to call her.

Both Mom and Dad are in excellent spirits. (Better than I am....) and since Dad had a cancerous tumor on his colon many, many years ago that they removed and he has had no recurrance of, they're both hopeful that she will beat this as well. She asked me if I blamed her for not wanting Chemo at her age, and I of course, said that I understood that she didn't want to go through those awful side effects. She stated that she is 90 and has led a rich, full life. I just can't imagine my life without my mother.....

I am sorry Joyce about the diagnosis. I am sure that your Mother is doing what she thinks is best. Please let her make the decisions about her treatment. We sometimes decide we think we know best, but in reality, do we want to put them through such a regiment of treatment, and have them much sicker from them than they would be without? I will keep all in my t & p's.

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Same here Joyce. I agree with your mom and Bonnie.
Many huggs and prayers for all of your family in this scary time. Just trust in the Lord that things will work out the way they are supposed to be.
Not much going on here...grocery day for me....and then the weekend. Nothing planned...but that doesn't mean a thing...lol!
Hope you all have a good one!!

((((((((((Joyce & Family)))))))))
Pauletta

((((( COokie ))))0 many many prayers for your mom and you. sistah.
got chinse tonight. i always regret getting it cuz i eat to much and feel yukky

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

We discussed this when we visited w/ Joyce last evening.
I wanted to wait until she broke the news to you all before I posted again.
Tough news for sure but she's got some good people in her corner.
Plus it's early to be making any choices.
I think she'll be better prepared to make an informed decision after all the tests are done and she spoken to an oncologist.
Positive Thoughts are what's needed now.
Having spent some time w/ Joyce's Parents I can say they are some amazing and VERY positive people.
A delight to chat w/!

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Thanks all, and for the record I do agree with my Mom about the chemo. Nasty stuff, but good for a person with many years ahead of them...

Ric is right...they are awesome upbeat people, and like I said they're both handling it with a positive attitude, which I think is key to getting through this....

I have my moments.....being the only girl child and the baby, I've been really close to my folks. Both my brothers are out of state.

This morning I was laying in bed and started thinking about my daughter, Lisa....she goes on Nov. 5th to have the lining of her uterus removed. It dawned on me just this morning that my ex-husbands' mother died from uteran cancer in her mid 40's.......Lisa will be 40 in February.....

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Hope you all have a good Sunday....

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.